• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Thali Kodi and Koora Saree Input for Tamil Brahmin Marriage

Thali is tamil culture. All brahmins should emigrate from TN and gradually shed tamil culture. Hold on only to the core. And, be careful about brahmins from deep south. Be careful whether they are really brahmins or some other caste claiming to be brahmins.

I am a close observer of TN politics and I am a single, unmarried male. My marriage is going to happen outside TN, and it is going to be a marriage without any touch of tamil customs like thali or ammi midhithal...Just like how suyamariyadhai thirumanangal are supposed to be a symbol of mockery and opposition to the 'vedic' marriage, my marriage is going to be a statement to pin point to all the hate and pain tamil people have (been made to) lavished on Brahmins for one hundred years.

It always amazes me how brahmins go on as if none of that ever happens.

Thali is tamil culture. Don't...

Who is generally supposed to input and pay for the following during a Tamil Brahmin marriage? Is it the groom's side or the bride's side?
  1. Thali (2)
  2. Thali Kodi (gold chain)
  3. Koora Saree (used while tying the knot)
We are Vadama Brahmin Tamil family from Tanjore on the Groom's side. The Bride's side is from Coimbatore and Nagar Koil.
Thāli has two sets and design should be as per groom's family tradition. Cost is shared equally by both sides.

Kodi and koorai saree are gifts to girl from groom's family.

Hope this clears your doubts.
Mrs. Raji Ram

In general, since boys side take bribe( honorably called Varathatchinai) they should pay.
I did not take bribe and was against it. The girl side suspected even about my masculanity, but their family friend convinced them tha I am always rebelling against social injustice. I have two sons and once I told jokingly to my father-in-law, do you believe in me now with sons. He was mellowed down and said , you are my son and son-in-law. In my case they shared 50:50 and Tali and rest I took care of.
Sr, Mrs. Raji Ram in general is right and since the girl is "vara laxmi" this offering will go a long way and also will be an investment in Gold.

Thali is tamil culture. All brahmins should emigrate from TN and gradually shed tamil culture. Hold on only to the core. And, be careful about brahmins from deep south. Be careful whether they are really brahmins or some other caste claiming to be brahmins.
Silapthikaram says" mamudu Parpon marai vazhi kaadidia .." Kovanlan married Kannaki. The original thali was to make others know that the girl is married along with metti in her leg finger. Tmails never had Tali, just exchanged garland and it was called Kalavu manam - girl chooses her hubby etc.
Brahman emigrates only when harrased, other wise they stay put giving excuses. With denial of Govt. jobs, The thief Adancing Society has driven most out of TN. I had visited about 40 villages with some of my other caste members and most have no Brahmans or good hotel to eat. Big cities still have old time believers and their daughters rather will marry a local guy - any OBC caste but not SC/ST. Tali was the financial safety for emergency, but now due to chain pulling is not necessary.
In ancient India every one was considered a manual laborar (Dalit) and educaion elevated them. Poonul - upa - nayanam - another knoweldge eye - was performed to elevate the boy to a student level. Besides Brahmans others were also allowed - you can see that in AAsari, Kollar, etc. So, only through deep knowlege one was elevated to Brahman state, which is not true now even in so called Brahman families. Being poor, sudy and dedicate your services to society and beg only in five houses were the Brahman's wa of life. Who wants that now or can live like that? So, those who study(not memorize and pass, rather develope skill sets and inductive reasoning move out of TN. Kerala, Carnatka, Andhra has minimum problems.
Now the question is, if one wants to wed in the Brahminal tradition, who should give Tirumangalyam etc?
The answer is boys side as a gift to the girl welcoming to their family as a "Vara Laxmi" . Should it be the custom even if the girl is from other castes? Yes, still she is a vara Laxmi and will be forced to learn and merge with the customs of the boy's house unless she is a IAS/IPS/... and other powerful employee.

Latest ads

Back