• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tamil Brahmin Possible origin

hi

yes....we are the one of the tribe of jewish......moved from hindukush to hindustan...
Yes..possible cos you can read in The Qura'n that the enslaved Jews did give Moses a hard time.
He was trying to preach Monotheism to them but they didn't listen to him and worshiped an idol of the calf instead.
So they seemed to be reluctant to give up idol worship.

Ok..next...so to be a Jew..one has to be CIRCUMCISED and food has to be Kosher(including slaughter of bovine species).

BTW logically can Brahmins be from a community that were enslaved by the Pharaoh?
A slave isn't from the top most Varna cos he has no freedom and would be forced to do manual labor and not reciting swaha.
Also Hebrew is a Semitic language and not an Indo- European language and written from right to left.
Jews are NOT vegetarians and slaughter animals Kosher which is like how the Halal procedure of Muslims.

So how did all these change and all of a sudden there is Vedas and Sanskrit?
Judaism is a Monotheistic religion and no Devas or Devis to be worshipped.

So if a TB is a Jew its only possible that when they came to India they took up the study of the Vedas which was native to Bharatvarsha...again all sounds weird.

BTW I never see Jews from saying they are TBs.

Last edited:
Yes..possible cos you can read in The Qura'n that the enslaved Jews did give Moses a hard time.
He was trying to preach Monotheism to them but they didn't listen to him and worshiped an idol of the calf instead.
So they seemed to be reluctant to give up idol worship.

Ok..next...so to be a Jew..one has to be CIRCUMCISED and food has to be Kosher(including slaughter of bovine species).

BTW logically can Brahmins be from a community that were enslaved by the Pharaoh?
A slave isn't from the top most Varna cos he has no freedom and would be forced to do manual labor and not reciting swaha.
Also Hebrew is a Semitic language and not an Indo- European language and written from right to left.
Jews are NOT vegetarians and slaughter animals Kosher which is like how the Halal procedure of Muslims.

So how did all these change and all of a sudden there is Vedas and Sanskrit?
Judaism is a Monotheistic religion and no Devas or Devis to be worshipped.

So if a TB is a Jew its only possible that when they came to India they took up the study of the Vedas which was native to Bharatvarsha...again all sounds weird.

BTW I never see Jews from saying they are TBs.

hi

even earlier brahmins were meat eaters like KOSHER......hinduism is MONOTHEISM...believing in BRAHMAN

and worshiping many....like jews wear some holy therads like brahmins....priestly services are very common..

It is my understanding, for generations Brahmins are nomadic groups invited by the rulers to settled down as per the requirement for doing religious duties and guidance. They were provided houses to live in Agraharams built for them by the people invited them. Also provided adequate agricultural lands and wells or water facilities for living. This has been described in detail by Sri Uu.Ve. Swaminatha Aiyar in his Autobiography "En Sarithiram".

It is my feeling "Tamil Brahmins" must have migrated mostly from Andhra Region, during the rule of Pallavas, Cholas or Pandya Kings. Pallavas were great supporters of Vedic Religion, who were active in Thondai mandalam area with Kanchipuram as their Capital. They established many Veda Patasalas and "Ghatikastanas" in Kanchi and other places in the region ruled by them. This migration of Brahmins must have continued during the rule of Vijayanagra dynasties and Nayak Rulars as well. Many "Tamil Brahmin" families in Trichy and Thanjavur region have roots in Telugu speaking area.

Brahmins as a class always learnt the language of the region and exhibited excellence in the same. Never indulged in language fanaticism. Above all their devotion to the religion and rulers are well known.
Since literature written by Tamil Brahmins were found even before the time of these rulers quoted above, I believe they were settled much earlier also.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Last edited:
In our scriptures, the only Brahmin kingdom was Ravanan and here is where we all brahmins come from. People who have read my posts way back on history will know the corrct Lanka is the city of Badami or Vatapi in the Hyderabad Karnataka region. (Ramyanam war is based on the written inscriptions of the war between Tamil King Narasimhan vs Kannada King Pulekeshi II where the wife/ lover was kidnapped triggering an extraordinary war. Same war is referenced in the sangam Tamil text of sivakamiyan sapatham)

Agasthiar takes these Brahmins from Vatapi to south Tamil Nadu / Keralam and settles down.

Now let's go back to scriptures again - Brahmins come from the land of brahmavarta which is below the Kuru Nadu and these are delimited by the saraswati and drishtawadi rivers.

Only written inscriptions anywhere in india that talks about kurunadu is the South Indian war - Pandian King from Madurai goes to kurunadu in keralam, and wins an historic war by beating over 100 chieftains. Kurunadu is the Kollam district (not exact boundaries), where the temple for Duryodhanan Bhismar, Dromar, Karnan exists.

Brahmavarta existed below the kurunadu. Hence the Thiruvananthapuram district and Kanyakumari is the correct brahmavarta, where the saptha Rishis lived and we all come from then.

This view also explains why only Udupi priests serve in the Vishwanathan temple in Karnmandu !! And why Tamil Brahmins carried the Carnatic music, which has a large body of composition in Telugu ( Prominent in the Hyderabad Karnataka region) with them, and Vatapi Ganapathi is so important for us. !!

And the Saptha Rishis claimed origin from brahma, and if you look into the South Indian war the kannda King Pulekeshi II father Pulekeshi I was an extremely old man, and revered all over, and he is the correct Brahma in our scriptures.

And from here the Brahmins migrated to other Tamil kingdoms, Pandian,Pallavan, Cheran, etc..including palakad !!

Last edited:
I have provided some links below. These explain your ancestry. Lot of these are based on DNA analysis of several South Asians. They all show that all Indians are a mixture from three distinct groups - Ancient aboriginal (more Adivasis), South Iranian farmers and Aryans from central Asia / East Europe.
People of N India have more of the Aryan DNA. Those in the South have more of the Adivasi and South Iranian DNA. These explain the skin colour variations, height and nose.
Ancestors of most Tamil Brahmins moved from Kasi to S India during the Chola and Vijayanagara periods. This explains some skin colour differences between Bramins and others in S India. At one stage a King welcomed gave lands to 1000 baramin families from Kasi to facilitate settlement.
Since there is a lot of mixing, no Indians and SriLankans have pre DNA of one of these ancestors. The proportions vary from South to North.

Talk of 'AN' Aryan invasion is a controversial subject. I am of the opinion that the migration happened over several centuries and possibly thousands of years. Some led to conflicts- as evidenced in Rig Veda. The Rig Veda period was marked mainly by conflicts. Others are intermingling's between male migrants and local females. The latter practice seem to get endorsed / sanctioned in the Manu shastra which was produced at a much later date.

Invasion by Alexander happened much later. They did not contribute much to the DNA pool of India except in isolated locations such as Himachal Pradesh. During the time of Alexander, your ancestors were already not only settled in Kasi but were part of the population which built Kasi.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...lexities-little-known-civilization-180973053/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6822619/

https://hms.harvard.edu/news/genetics-proves-indian-population-mixture

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2842210/

https://qz.com/india/1243436/aryan-...se-dna-to-explain-origins-of-ancient-indians/

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/365/6457/eaat7487

https://bmcgenet.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2156-9-86

This is one of the best that I have come across that has comprehensive and coherent information on the matter, supported with evidence and a plausible logic.

There have been few threads about Tamil Brahmin culture (?), then again most of them did not even name one cultural trait common to TB.

I am a Tamil Brahmin and I recently did my DNA test. I want to share some interesting ancestry information.
renderTimingPixel.png

I was surprised to find my paternal line migrated from eastern europe as recently as 6000-4000 years ago (and with most probability into India because as far as my family can remember - great great great grandfather / 16th century - they are all from villages in South India). And also that I share a haplogroup common with Ashkenazi jews.

And on my mother's side using mito-chondrial DNA testing the suggested route taken by their lineage is through Iran. That is out of Africa -> Middle east -> Iran (3000 years ago split) -> India

So by what I have learned, I am more than convinced of recent migration (5000-3000 years ago) of groups of people from Iran and Eastern Europe. And since I am a brahmin as far as my very orthodox family can remember on both mom and dad's side, I am starting to believe in some form of an 'Aryan' immigration theory if not invasion.

Btw, we also know our roots are in Varanasi as the surname carried by me, dad, his dad's dad etc is Kashi Sharma. This is the name also used in Sanskrit shlokas during ceremonies at home when say my name is called out it is said this fellow - "my traditional first name sharma" of "my gotra here" from kashi sharma kula - even though we speak only Tamil at home.
It has to be noted that in my Tamil Brahmin family we have two names for everyone. One is a Sanskrit name and surname which is used in ceremonies by the priests (or gurukul as we call in Tamil) and another Tamil name with dad's name as surname. Am not sure if this is followed by all Tambram families as well?

Now this DNA based migration data makes me believe probably my dad's ancestors travelled down into India (via Punjab?) and settled in Kashi, UP for sometime establishing their clan or kula, and then may be during Asoka's time of Buddhism and de-recognition of Hinduism in the north, moved down south?

Btw, a relative on dad's side is Sir CV Raman :)

Sir,
Your mail id please to know/ study this finding deeper. [email protected]

Latest ads

Back