• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sunday Reflections

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The Best Donation is Food Donation one Who Gives food, gives Life."

The temple implements the Honourable Tamilnadu Cheif Minister's "Food Donation ". Daily minimum 125 devotees are

eating very tasty meals at 12.00 Noon.
Those who are interested to deposit rupees Thirteen Thousand(Rs.25,000) in the

temple, One day Annathanam will be provided yearly once from the interest amount of deposit for minimum 125 persons.

Further one day Annadhanam will be provided for Rs.2,000/- for 125 persons. Those who are willing to offer donation are

requested to contact the Executive Officer in the temple. Donation are eligible for deduction under section 80G of the IT Act.

Source:
Official Website of Arulmigu Naganathaswamy temple

Thanks for this C n P posting..... :)

Interesting.

Website also says thirteen thousand [25000].

Is Website an authority....? LOL

Here is more..

அன்னதானத்தின்மகிமையை அறிந்து கொள்வோம்

“தானங்கள் பலவற்றில் சிறந்தது அன்னதானம்
தானத்தை செய்வோர்தான் பெறுவோர் பேரனைத்தும்
தக்கபேறு தக்கநேரம் தான் வந்து காப்பளிக்கும்
தற்காப்பு இதுவன்றி தான் வேறு இல்லை சொல்ல "

தானத்தில் சிறந்தது அன்னதானம் என்கிறது தர்மசாஸ்திரம். அதனால்தான்
கிருஷ்ணபகவானும் கீதையில், “ எவன் தனக்காக மட்டும் ஆகாரம் தேடிச்சாப்பிட்டுக் கொள்கிறானோ அவனுடைய பாபத்தையும், முழுக்க அவனேதான் அனுபவித்தாக வேண்டும் வேறு எவரும் அதில் பங்கு எடுத்துக்கொள்ள மாட்டார் என்கிறார்".

போதும் என்ற மனம்

அன்னதானத்தில்தான் ஒருவரை பூரணமாக திருப்திபடுத்த முடியும். பணம், காசு,
வஸ்திரம், நகை, பூமி, வீடு இதுபோன்றவற்றை எவ்வளவு கொடுத்தாலும்
வாங்கிக்கொள்கிறவர்கள், அதற்கு மேல் கொடுத்தால் வேண்டாம் என்று சொல்ல மாட்டார்கள். அன்னம் போடுகிற போதுதான் போதும் என்ற திருப்தி ஏற்படும்.
என்னதான் வயிறு முட்ட சாப்பிட்டாலும், அவனால் ஒரு அளவிற்கு மேல் சாப்பிட முடியாது.

அன்னத்தை துவேஷிக்கக் கூடாது. – அது விரதம். அன்னத்தை மிகுதியாக உண்டாக்க வேண்டும். – அது விரதம். அன்னத்தை வேண்டி வந்த எவரையும் தள்ளிவிடக் கூடாது. – ஆகையால் எவ்விதத்திலாவது மிகுதியாக அன்னத்தை தேடிக் கொள்ள வேண்டும்.

வருபவர்களுக்கு அன்னம் தயாராக இருக்கிறதென்று சொல்லுவர் பெரியோர்.

ஆயிரக்கணக்கான ஆண்டுகள் பழமை வாய்ந்த பாரத ரிஷிகளின் சமூக சிந்தனைதான். பசியற்ற பாரதத்தைக் காண விழையும் சிந்தனை. வயிற்றுக்கு சோறிடல் வேண்டும். இங்கு வாழும் மனிதருக்கெல்லாம் என்ற சிந்தனையால் விளைந்ததே அன்னதானம் என்கிற உயரிய தானம்.

அட்சய பாத்திரம்

உயிரோடு உடம்பை சேர்த்து வைத்து ரட்சிப்பதும் அன்னம்தான். அதனால்தான் 'உண்டி கொடுத்தோர் உயிர்கொடுத்தோரே" என்று சொல்லியிருக்கிறது.

மணிமேகலையில் இப்படி அன்னதானத்தின் பெருமை கூறப்பட்டுள்ளது. மணிமேகலைக்கு காஞ்சியில் அட்சய பாத்திரம் கிடைத்தது. அவள் அதை வைத்துக்கொண்டு சகல ஜனங்களின் பசிப்பிணியை போக்கினாள்.

இதற்கு அநேக யுகங்கள் முன்பே காஞ்சிபுரத்தில் அம்பாளும், இதே அன்னதானத்தை செய்திருக்கிறாள். ஜகன்மாதா இங்கே, “ இரு நாழி நெல் கொண்டு எண் நான்கு அறம் இயற்றினார்." என்று சொல்லியிருக்கிறது. இங்கே அன்னபூரணிக்கு தனி சன்னதி இருக்கிறது. திருவையாற்றிலும்அம்பாள், தர்மசம்வர்த்தினியாக, “ அறம் வளர்த்த நாயகியாக " காட்சி தருகிறாள். உலக மக்களின் பசிப் பிணியைப் போக்க

பராசக்தி அன்னபூரணியாக அவதரித்து காசியில் அருள் புரிந்து கொண்டிருக்கும் அன்னபூரணியை தினமும் வணங்கினால் என்றைக்கும் உணவிற்கு குறைவு வராது

Source: http://tamil.oneindia.com/art-culture/essays/2011/meaning-annadanam-aid0090.html

ஆயிரம் மடங்கு புண்ணிய பலன் தரும் அன்னதானம்

http://www.dinakaran.com/Aanmeegam_Detail.asp?Nid=12467&cat=3

....... I was hungry and I had the food where there was annadhanam done. ......

The basic principle in annadhaanam is that food is served to those whoever is hungry and is in need of food without expecting anything in return. ........

'Whoever' is not correct at Kerala Brahmana samooham near Guruvayoor temple.

They don't allow males without pooNool! Be happy Vaagmi Sir, for being a brahmin! :)

For those who need proof, here is a blog:
GURUVAYOOR SRI SANKARANILAYAM GUEST HOUSE

''Guruvayoor Brahamana Samooham at East nada is already well known for decades for its free distribution of Drinking

water to the Devotees of Bagawan Sreekrishna and very lately for the DAILY SAMARADHANA (ANNADHANAM) for its

community members.
A Dharma Sastha temple is also housed in this building.

For partaking in the Annadhanam, on has to report at the Guruvayoor Brahamana Samooham and have a free registration

of their name/s before 10 am of the day you wish to partake. Most of whom who had had this Annadhanam, had

generously contributed to the Samooham, which helped them to continue this Samaradhana. Approximately 120 persons

are Partaking in this Samaradhana on daily basis as said by one of the executive members.​''

post #96 by prasadji for reference:

You confuse Prasadam with Annadanam. The devotee who bring fruits and coconut get them back as prasdam, the rest get some Badam as prasdam.

So, according to you, the annam which is served in annadhaanam in various temples of Tamilnadu are all just cooked in the kitchen and served to people direct just as in a Hotel.

When Ego is elephant size it hides the truth. It makes one think that he is all knowing and all that he knows is the one and only truth. LOL.

The truth:

In the temples of Tamilnadu the Annadhaanam is done almost daily as per the orders of Government to all who come and accept the annam served. This annam is served after it is sanctified by the deity to whom it is offered as naivedhyam. If you do not understand what is naivedhyam please google and gain knowledge before coming here and speaking authoritatively on the subject about which, it appears, you know nothing.

Food is not prasdam. It is not offered to the idol. It is for the convenience of the temple goers. I am sorry that you did not understand the distinction.

Who has to feel sorry will be clear when you read this together with the earlier paragraph after googling for Nivedhyam. Food is also prasadam in temples of India. Period. Where are you going to hide your face?

We do not serve food daily. We sell food only on weekends at a canteen in the temple premise. I suppose you can not understand how temples are run outside of your village.

It appears you have absolutely no idea of how temples in India are run. You should better join a forum of American TBs and be happy with that offering your “valuable” and “knowledgeable” quips to those living there. Buddy, India is different. Visit India and Tamilnadu atleast once in a while to know and understand the culture and language and traditions here. And we speak about Indian temples and the customs here. Not about the temple in the backyard of Whitehouse in Timbuctoo.

In North Indian temple, and many South India temples no food is served.

You have to update your knowledge base-if you have it. I do not care about what is happening in North Indian Temples. But being a topic for discussion in TB forum, I know pretty well that the temples in Tamilnadu serve food as annadhaanam to everyone after offering to the deity. So food is indeed served. Period.

I have visited all kinds of temples, including Tirupati. I have never seen any food being served. But then again I am not looking for free food. I suppose you have to be a devious moocher who is ready to steal food from the poor to know the tricks of the trade.

You have missed the obvious during those visits. In Tirupati too after having darshan of the main deity, as you come out they give free meal tickets to any one and everyone who wants to take food. These tickets are to be used for taking food out side the temple where they maintain a huge sprawling dining hall in which food is served to thousands of devotees daily. Next time when you go to Tirupati, leave your ego behind safely chained at home . You will find it interesting to watch the food being served there. They move rice, sambar, dal, vegetables buttermilk etc for serving in huge containers on carts with wheels through rows and rows of devotees eating food . Those who are in a hurry to go back to their home usually do not take these tickets. They just say thank you. But no one thinks it is below his dignity or “stealing”(to use your obnoxious word here in this decent forum) from the poor.

I can see you hanging your head in shame and trying to hide it.

I would have just ignored your post and moved on. But this kind of baiting has now become a habit with you and someone has to counter and I have just done that.

Shall we have a poll among our members here to know who is speaking truth here and that too in a reasonably decent language- Prasad or vaagmi? I am ready. It is a challenge to you. Do you accept it?

Last edited:

They don't allow males without pooNool! Be happy Vaagmi Sir, for being a brahmin! :)

''Guruvayoor Brahamana Samooham at East nada is already well known for decades for its free distribution of Drinking

water to the Devotees of Bagawan Sreekrishna and very lately for the DAILY SAMARADHANA (ANNADHANAM) for its

community members.

For partaking in the Annadhanam, on has to report at the Guruvayoor Brahamana Samooham and have a free registration

of their name/s before 10 am of the day you wish to partake. Most of whom who had had this Annadhanam, had

generously contributed to the Samooham, which helped them to continue this Samaradhana. Approximately 120 persons

are Partaking in this Samaradhana on daily basis as said by one of the executive members.​''

LOL. No one asked me to show my poonool. They were just giving food to anyone who went there and sat before the table. My being a brahmin was incidental. This is speaking from first hand experience. We did not register in advance either. We just went as hungry devotees and they served us sAtvik food which we liked.

On an earlier occasion I had stayed in this Sankaranilayam and it is on another road on the other side of the temple.

community members.

I had a similar experience in a vadagalai madam guest house in tirupathi where the cook serving wanted make sure I had a thread beneath my baniyan .{ well, I did

not have.lol]. This is brahmin culture at its worst.Only my wife and an old relative in madisar rescued me sporting brahmin caste marks and dress and talking in

brahmin tamizh

I had a similar experience in a vadagalai madam guest house in tirupathi where the cook serving wanted make sure I had a thread beneath my baniyan .........
Ha, Ha!! Now you should know why Kerala temples want ONLY semi-clad mAmAs?? :D

My brother in law visits Guruvayur temple once in a month and informs in the office, around 10 am, that he will come for lunch.

Even if he goes at 1 pm for lunch, it is served. :)

Last week, his whole family had lunch at brahmana samooham and of course they informed in the office, as usual.

One more proof for Vaagmi Sir! This post is by our forum member (not active now), R V R, way back in 2007.

''Thread: Guruvaayur - stay and food

Brahmana Samooham has built a guest house at Guruvaayur exclusively for our community members for stay.

Small functions could also be performed at the place.

Lunch is offered daily for our community members and the organisers have to be informed before 10 AM.

More details are available in the following website

GURUVAYOOR SRI SANKARANILAYAM GUEST HOUSE Chandru`s Blog

Those who are not able to perform annual shrardha to their relatives can donate Rs.2500 Rs for 'annadhanam'

to the visitors of our community

All the best''​

But you are supposed to remove your shirt, dear Sir! :)

If NOT, you are really very, very special! :lol:

No. I was not asked to remove my shirt. Nor the other people who were waiting to eat. May be I was very very very very very very special to Lord Guruvayurappan.

I have a doubt whether we are speaking about the same eating hall. The hall I am speaking about is in the East Nada having an ordinary looking entrance in an old building. The entrance opens into the bazaar full of shops which sell nick nacks pictures lamps etc., One can easily miss the place unless he is guided by some one that it is a dining hall.

The other Sankara building of the samooham is a large one on the other side of the temple with elaborate facilities. Rooms are let out in this building which are reasonably comfortable. The building is well maintained. You have to pay for the stay and perhaps food here. I have not eaten here.

I prefer to make do with prasadam when I visit temples and as far as possible avoid taking food from sources other than the temple.

Last edited:

அன்னதானத்தின்மகிமையை அறிந்து கொள்வோம்

...................அன்னத்தை துவேஷிக்கக் கூடாது. – அது விரதம். அன்னத்தை மிகுதியாக உண்டாக்க வேண்டும். – அது விரதம். அன்னத்தை வேண்டி வந்த எவரையும் தள்ளிவிடக் கூடாது. – ஆகையால் எவ்விதத்திலாவது மிகுதியாக அன்னத்தை தேடிக் கொள்ள வேண்டும்..................

Thaithreeyopanishad-thrutheeya prasnaa-Bruguvalli:

அன்னம் ந நிந்த்யாத்/ தத் வ்ரதம்/...................

அன்னம் ந பாரிசக்ஷீத/ தத் வ்ரதம்/......................

அன்னம் பஹுகுர்வீத/ தத் வ்ரதம்/....................

ந கஞ்சன வஸதௌ ப்ரத்யாசக்ஷீத/ தத் வ்ரதம்/........................

Narayana Upanishad:

அன்னேன ப்ராணா: ப்ராணைர் பலம், பலேன தபஸ், தபஸ: ச்ரத்தா, ச்ரத்தயா மேதா, மேதயா மனீஷ, மனீஷயா மனோ, மனஸா சாந்தி: சாந்தயா சித்தஞ்ச் சித்தேன ஸ்ம்ருதிம், ஸ்ம்ருத்யா ஸ்மாரம், ஸ்மாரேண விக்ஜ்னானம், விக்ஜ்னானேனாத்மானம் வேதயதி, தஸ்மா-தன்னந்த்ததன், ஸர்வாண்யேதானி ததாதி.....................

I think annadhAnam is ONLY to feed the poor people!

The rich should only get a wee bit of prasAdham and leave the temple! :)

What is the basis for this understanding..? I have not come across any such exhortations in our religious texts or in any pravachanam or in religious talks.

Coming to actual practice, when I visited Udupi Sri Krishna MaTh and Sri AnnapoorNeshwari temple, both situated in Karnataka on both occasions I and my family was asked to take leave of the temple only AFTER we have had BHOJANAM by the administrators.

Different temple administrations may have different ways of balancing their budget.

I do not even remotely wish to imply that I am rich by any standards.

1. I too have had food in the place you have mentioned. The highlighted portion is THE point I made.

NO free food for those who can afford to pay! :)

2. The prasAdham I meant is what they give in Tirupathi after the dharshan. I got a small ladoo once! :thumb:

3. Those who do that kainkaryam should NOT expect money but when we eat in such places, we HAVE to make a payment!

I get a feeling that the implication of this post is that people who can afford to pay (may be translated as Meal charges in hotels etc.) and who have participated in anna-dhAnams as recipients are treated as FREE LOADERS and I vehemently oppose this gross over generalisation.

Right from the vedic days, dAnam/contribution has been 'YATHA SHAKTHI' and partaking of meal or food has been 'SUMPTUOUS' and there has never been an intention of the temple administrations (where I have gone) to balance hunger with contribution of each and every affordable anna-dhAnam receipient to the contribution he/she makes.

3. Those who do that kainkaryam should NOT expect money but when we eat in such places, we HAVE to make a payment!

India is a vast and diverse country with many regional imbalances. It would be faulty to generalise with a few experiences.

When I visited Jalaram Mandir at Virpur, Gujarat (near Rajkot) in 2000 and had food at the temple (they have anna dAnam everyday) they informed that they have STOPPED accepting CONTRIBUTIONS in cash or in kind since 1985 as they have enough capital to carry on their activity till their forseeable future without any more burden of accounting additional contributions.

But now I find they have a "Click to donate" menu on their website.

Last edited:
Preaching is for others. LOL.

A temple built by devotees, not some Maharaja, has a mortgage to pay. So the organizers of the temple would want steady income. If the other devotees are not generous, they have to devise ways to raise funds to pay the expenses of running the temple. We can not support moochers. .

Building temple in mortgaged property? Definitely not in India. And in India people do not go in for finance for charitable activities.

Building temple in mortgaged property? Definitely not in India. And in India people do not go in for finance for charitable activities.

hi

this is general story of any temple in USA/UK and other countries outside india...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back