• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sunday Reflections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another weekend.

A close relative nephew passed away.Every year in june ,I live in dread. Someone close [I have many relatives in eighties and even in nineties].

As usual Getting a vadhyar for last rites become an issue.No vaishnavite ones ready or available.. The one shaivite vadhyar travelled 40 km from east to west delhi to help.

A modern vadhyar affluent with self driven car and an assistant landed up. He was traditional enough to say at Kuligai time, he will not perform.He religeously did his

job .

I found rules have been changed at crematorium. They do not insist on doctors certificate for natural deaths. Earlier they would insist and most local doctors would

refuse to visit home and test and give a certificate due to risks involved.Now they have done away with this doctors certificate. Instead , insist on Aadhar card or other identity of the

deceased and the person performing the rites ..

2. The world cup in UK -gave it a miss due to the above. No regrets....

Continuing,

3. On my morning walk today,came across a big sedan driven by a youngster [naturally without driving licence] with another boy alongside..He lost control and banged a

lamp post on the sidewalk.Some seniors [the only fellows walking in the morning] surrounded him. One was forcing him to show his licence and another threatening to

call police.The boy begged to be let off . All gave a dharma adi .Seniors never miss such an oppurtunity.One good samaritan { Who else than me] Intervened and told

them all to lay off and released the boy from their clutches.Very interesting . If one like them with some authority tell these seniors lay off , they meekly comply. With

good act done continued my walk.lol

Continuing,

3. On my morning walk today,came across a big sedan driven by a youngster [naturally without driving licence] with another boy alongside..He lost control and banged a

lamp post on the sidewalk.Some seniors [the only fellows walking in the morning] surrounded him. One was forcing him to show his licence and another threatening to

call police.The boy begged to be let off . All gave a dharma adi .Seniors never miss such an oppurtunity.One good samaritan { Who else than me] Intervened and told

them all to lay off and released the boy from their clutches.Very interesting . If one like them with some authority tell these seniors lay off , they meekly comply. With

good act done continued my walk.lol

Yes, you probably did morally sound illegal act. The right action would have been to call the cops.

24th june -a long three days weekend .

What is new?

Farmers continue to be restless.Many in Tamilnadu are hoping that rains can improve the prospects of farmers.

There is basically a economic imbalance in the economy.

Farmers -rural folk constituting 50% of population get only 1.5% of GDP. Their capital growth is paltry 2% every year as compared to many times in urban india.

These farmers are agitating for waiver of farm loans.Agricuture is a state subject. Only individual states can decide to write off and absorb the fiscal deficit in their

account. UP did that as it was part of their election promise. Other BJP states like maharashtra,rajasthan did the same. In MP the farmers are still agitating.TN got

some partial relief from govt. There is no basic solution. Just waiving off is only writing off the past . They will take fresh loans and if there is drought or excessive rain

, they will face it again.

Write off of farm loans can worsen the fiscal deficit of the country as a whole. When banks are burdened with these write off , they can get only worse.

2. PSBs are in difficulties . First being forced to declare their NPAs as a result of lending to big corporates .and now put in a position to take haircuts when private

players coolly escape.Then they are getting forced to merge with each other leading to worser confusion .Besides they are getting forced to support various schemes

of govt such as edu.loans,opening doors of banks to poorest sections of society leading to unmanageable load in client servicing.The way accounts are messed up,it is

difficult to trace own money in banks.In one of my local accounts in state bank subsidiary nearby, they discovered that that my CIF was in a branch in other end of town which

was not transferred when I transferred my account 15 years back.This discovery after fifteen years.They had a tough time relocating my deposits.Most employees -

specially seniors are fed up and would like to retire peacefully.Working in banks is no longer valued .

3. Y Venugopal Reddy has published his book on his experiences as reserve bank governor and his relationships with govt finance minister-agreement and differences.

This book is worth a read for those with interest in finance domain.He articulates his concerns on RBI reforms and woes of PSBs in tackling NPA and other issues.Todays

Mint carries some excerpts from the book besides an interview with him.We are lucky that we have had some brilliant governors in reserve bank in the past. The

present one seems to have just caved in to govt pressures in demonetisation and autonomy issues.. Personally I miss Raghuram Rajan. He stood up to govt on what he

thought was right for the nation.When institutions like reserve bank or courts get devalued and their independance compromised , it does not help the country.

IG tried nominating committed judges who would toe the govt line. We ended up with emergency.

hi

sundays are having vishnu sahasranama in delhi tamil temple and free food...every sundays...

The south indian temple opposite my home is only collecting money to fix new LED lights to save on electricity bills

They have started a Donate a LED light campaign. Rs 600 with fittings per light.

I donated two of them.

So Lead Kindly Light.

One more idea to save power.

Before retiring to bed, switch off the fridge and put it on as soon as you get up next morning!

Added advantage: The freezer will NOT look like a portion of the Himalayas!! :lol:

In hot places like delhi with temp shooting over 43 degree celsius, one does not risk milk and other food switching off frig

Frig just becomes an extension of the kitchen storing just about everything -milk, curd, vegetables , fruits left over food.

Sing. Chennai is roughly in high 30s but everything is safe in the fridge! :cool:

Switch off around 11 p.m and switch on around 6 a.m.

:cool: At least to eat good food, people will visit the temple and participate in the chanting! :hungry:

People are very smart. In our temple, we used to have free food after arati around 1:00PM. You see a swarm of younger people with the family will show up at 1:00 pm. They do not contribute even in the arati plate. Now the temple has become wiser, no more food in the Temple. They can buy food in the canteen attached to the temple.

People are very smart. In our temple, we used to have free food after arati around 1:00PM. You see a swarm of younger people with the family will show up at 1:00 pm. They do not contribute even in the arati plate. Now the temple has become wiser, no more food in the Temple. They can buy food in the canteen attached to the temple.

Prasadji,

AnnadhAnam is supposed to be done without expecting anything in return. And prasada viniyOgam is done in temples the same way without expecting any matching contribution. It is not a saudha. It is just given.

Prasadji,

AnnadhAnam is supposed to be done without expecting anything in return. And prasada viniyOgam is done in temples the same way without expecting any matching contribution. It is not a saudha. It is just given.

Preaching is for others. LOL.
Who in this material world is doing something without expectation?
Even the Buddha is doing something, even tough it is only the satisfaction of doing.
Yes, I too want free Langer, but even there you expect others to fill the coffers.
A temple built by devotees, not some Maharaja, has a mortgage to pay. So the organizers of the temple would want steady income. If the other devotees are not generous, they have to devise ways to raise funds to pay the expenses of running the temple. We can not support moochers.

Yes, the temple organizers will give free food, if those who demand free food or preach for free food contribute generously. No one not connected with operation of the temple should be talking from Temple physical things (Or stealing, when you take something without paying it is stealing).

Prasadji,

I think annadhAnam is ONLY to feed the poor people!

The rich should only get a wee bit of prasAdham and leave the temple! :)

Preaching is for others. LOL.

Will you please elaborate. It is not clear what you mean here.

Yes, I too want free Langer, but even there you expect others to fill the coffers.
A temple built by devotees, not some Maharaja, has a mortgage to pay. So the organizers of the temple would want steady income. If the other devotees are not generous, they have to devise ways to raise funds to pay the expenses of running the temple. We can not support moochers.

If it is run that way as a business matching assets with liabilities then they should display a board and engage chowkidars to herd the devotees telling them that there will be no free distribution of Prasadam. They should say that prasadam is strictly on sale only. There are temples in Tamilnadu where no prasadam is ever distributed.

Yes, the temple organizers will give free food, if those who demand free food or preach for free food contribute generously. No one not connected with operation of the temple should be talking from Temple physical things (Or stealing, when you take something without paying it is stealing).

Yes. I understand your point. You build a temple exclusively for your family and make every day tasty dishes and eat them too as prasad because you built the temple and you are maintaining it. But why do you want to call it a temple. You may call it your private puja room.

In temples prasad viniyogam and anna dhaanam is done without expecting anything in return. If someone contributes some money it is accepted. I send to the local temple for every birthday in the family a bag-full of quality rice and half a bag of Dal and this happens 5 times in a year because we are five. But I do not visit the temple daily. But prasadam is distributed daily and devotees who visit the temple are given the prasadam. I shudder to view the matter from the angle you have suggested. Those who partake in the prasadam are not pooreither.
<This is a forum, not a Boxing ring watch your language>

Last edited:
I think annadhAnam is ONLY to feed the poor people!

The rich should only get a wee bit of prasAdham and leave the temple! :)

Annadhaanam is for whoever is hungry.

I am not poor by the commonly known standards.

When I visited Guruvayur last time, after the morning darshan as I came out I was very hungry and my wife who came with me too was hungry. We enquired and found that on the East Nada of the temple, there is a dining hall run by the Kerala Brahmana Samooham. As we prefer sAtvic food, we went there and took food. After the food we were informed that the food was free. As we wanted to pay we made a donation to the trust which runs the show.

I was hungry and I had the food where there was annadhanam done.

My being rich did not make me leave after taking a wee bit of prasadam because I was hungry.

The basic principle in annadhaanam is that food is served to those whoever is hungry and is in need of food without expecting anything in return. Period.

In the Langars of Gurdwara they offer free food to all and expect nothing in return.

Only a person who is full of himself can make such blatantly arrogant suggestions. The arrogance perhaps comes from a keen awareness of his money. It is better to come out of this mindset. Who cares if I am rich or not. LOL.

Sir,

Well said. My up vote to you.

Will you please elaborate. It is not clear what you mean here.

Yes. I understand your point. You build a temple exclusively for your family and make every day tasty dishes and eat them too as prasad because you built the temple and you are maintaining it. But why do you want to call it a temple. You may call it your private puja room.

Only a person who is full of himself can make such blatantly arrogant suggestions. The arrogance perhaps comes from a keen awareness of his money. It is better to come out of this mindset. Who cares if I am rich or not. LOL.

There you go again. Your panache to insult other members of the forum runs unabated.
Your personal ego is unbounded.

I did not build the temple nor I visit on daily basis. I was just relating an incident.
You confuse Prasadam with Annadanam. The devotee who bring fruits and coconut get them back as prasdam, the rest get some Badam as prasdam.

Food is not prasdam. It is not offered to the idol. It is for the convenience of the temple goers. I am sorry that you did not understand the distinction.

We do not serve food daily. We sell food only on weekends at a canteen in the temple premise. I suppose you can not understand how temples are run outside of your village.

In North Indian temple, and many South India temples no food is served.
I have visited all kinds of temples, including Tirupati. I have never seen any food being served. But then again I am not looking for free food. I suppose you have to be a devious moocher who is ready to steal food from the poor to know the tricks of the trade.

Last edited:
In Nanganallur many well off living near the Anjaneyar temple do not cook food many days in a month.

They simply go three or four times a day to the temple and have food.

The temple collections are good enough to feed so many every day.

Food is never an issue in most of the south indian temples or gurudwaras anywhere in the country.

The langar food at amritsar golden temple,most take after prayers there.Service at the kitchen by well off is considered a duty by them.

During JJs regime she saw to it that many are fed at most of the temples in tamilnadu.

Church of course looks for converts and gives selective help whom they consider are good prospects.

.......... 1. When I visited Guruvayur last time, after the morning darshan as I came out I was very hungry and my wife who came with me too was hungry. We enquired and found that on the East Nada of the temple, there is a dining hall run by the Kerala Brahmana Samooham. As we prefer sAtvic food, we went there and took food. After the food we were informed that the food was free. As we wanted to pay we made a donation to the trust which runs the show.

2. My being rich did not make me leave after taking a wee bit of prasadam because I was hungry.

3. The basic principle in annadhaanam is that food is served to those whoever is hungry and is in need of food without expecting anything in return.
1. I too have had food in the place you have mentioned. The highlighted portion is THE point I made.

NO free food for those who can afford to pay! :)

2. The prasAdham I meant is what they give in Tirupathi after the dharshan. I got a small ladoo once! :thumb:

3. Those who do that kainkaryam should NOT expect money but when we eat in such places, we HAVE to make a payment!

Many housewives do not like to cook -when their husband is away on tour.

In nanganallur , they use the temple as the back up place to have food .

Some might donate also .

It is just that these women do not like to go to hotels neareby alone to have food .

In delhi during onam time, most malayalis have food at the temple opposite. Of course free.

On tuedays, Hanuman temple opposite gives puris with cooked vegetables.

Devotees also contribute for free feeding on occassions as remembrance for loved ones.

Indians are generous when it is food.

"The Best Donation is Food Donation one Who Gives food, gives Life."

The temple implements the Honourable Tamilnadu Cheif Minister's "Food Donation ". Daily minimum 125 devotees are

eating very tasty meals at 12.00 Noon.
Those who are interested to deposit rupees Thirteen Thousand(Rs.25,000) in the

temple, One day Annathanam will be provided yearly once from the interest amount of deposit for minimum 125 persons.

Further one day Annadhanam will be provided for Rs.2,000/- for 125 persons. Those who are willing to offer donation are

requested to contact the Executive Officer in the temple. Donation are eligible for deduction under section 80G of the IT Act.

Source:
Official Website of Arulmigu Naganathaswamy temple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back