• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sunday Reflection

Marriage in our family in covid times in Taj ernakulam
Limited to about 10 to 15 total.
Thaali tying and metti.
No fire.
Vedic mantras Priests and nadaswaram
Nice projection on home screen on large TV

Live telecast for all who could not make it.
Enjoyed in bangalore.

Zero confusion with lakhs & crores but confused about zeros in millions
I am also more comfortable with lakhs and crores but million/billion/trillion does not bother me too much but there is that other thing which is in my highest discomfort zone.

I can never get comfortable with mm/dd/yyyy.

30/08/2020 comes naturally - I also like 2020/08/30 and is almost spontaneous for me but I need some time to think if I have to translate 08/30/2020 to 30th August 2020!

மண் Pillaiyar with seeds in his belly was a hit during this year festival . Place him in a pot post festival and with daily அபிஷேகம் - seeds in his belly grows into plant - Nice farewell for the idol!

IMG-20200830-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20200830-WA0016.jpg

This year covid has killed everything
It has not killed Sudoku or Kakuro or Amazon that delivers books even to a village close to Chennai.

I find Kakuro even more entertaining - more ways to think! Others who feel that Covid has placed them under house arrest may also like to give it a try. These puzzles are also available online and you can get them on your phone but I like to avoid the extra eye strain and prefer a paperback even if it costs more.

I am cool with Fahrenheit 98.4F is normal body temp.But when temp is read in Celsius I need a ready reckoner ! Same with height 5'10" fine! In Cms I struggle! - In certain situations older British Systems of measurements seems convenient ! -

Our family wedding lasted only thirty minutes.

I do not know if it was covid effect or malayali style wedding.
Ladies opted for six yards sarees though silk and madisars were absent .
Most boys and men had beards ( covid effect)
Blessings were given online.as most could not be present.
Ladies as per convention had flowers in hair In normal times we would have ar least 100 relatives alone.

I

hat constitutes a good marriage.?
These are days of love marriage and live in relationships. Some culminate in marriage and others break up with bad feelings.
This trend is very disturbing,Boys are scared .Many girls remain unmarried @34 and beyond and big
worry for parents.Career race and work pressure are uppermost in their mind.Parental influence on
marriage counselling has vanished,Sometime I feel IT companies have in a way contributed to this social crisis by paying astronomical salaries and breaking the 9 to 5 work norms.
Will we learn something in the post- covid time to streamline our social life?

Ladies opted for six yards sarees though silk and madisars were absent(#184)

It is " Onam Season Sales " all over Kerala - Mundu is top seller. I bought Mundu inspired sarees for my DILs in a boutique in Kochi after a tough bargain ! This unbleached off white colour is usually avoided in our culture!

Onam is a festival restricted to kerala.
Does any other state celebrate it?
It is supposed to denote the return once a year of Mahabali to visit his subjects in kerala.

Off white colour with minimum zari look dignified.
All including seniors can wear it..

These ehtenic Kerala kasavu tissue sarees look sophisticated really - Sarees (pure zari) with blouse may cost 3500 upwards - Market is flooded with fake sarees for around ₹1000 - You may be tempted to buy them because of cost difference - but after one or 2 wash ஜரிகை பல் இளிக்கும் !

I like the way normalcy being brought back in metros like delhi.
Delhi model of covid treatment home with oximetres home and oxygen cylinders on call is good.
Only extreme cases are shifted to hospital

Kerala celebrates Mahabalis vist. Rest celebrates Bahubalis release!

I read in one article
'ஓணம் பண்டிகை. கேரளாவில் கோலாகலமாகவும், தமிழர்கள் வாட்ஸ்-ஆப்பில் நுனி இலை சாப்பாட்டு படங்கள் பகிர்ந்து கொண்டாடுகிறார்கள்'

Keralites in Coimbatore and Kanyakumari also celebrated 'Onam" with lot of fanfare,Their pookalam
on this occasion is a grand sight perhaps by way of welcoming the king Mahabali,a benevolent king.
They use lot of coconut in their curry preparations,and perhaps use coconut oil as edible oil
in food preparations , serves both the taste and also healthy,
Their covid management is by far has given good results and well controlled.Poet Bharati had always
an appreciation for Kerala women folk dressed in ethnic kerala sarees.

In chennai KTDC hotel serves onam feast.
In delhi there is a replica of Guruvayur temple.
There local keralites celebrate in style
hi

in east delhi.....mayur vihar phase 1 ...there is guruvayur temple.....the same way....in NEW JERSEY ...USA....
sri guruvaruppan temple there....both places ..keralites celebrate onam feast..

Matta rice of Kerala has distinct colour flavour and taste - blends with our Rasam & Sambar well unlike Basamati (preferred for Pulav & Biriyani) On our day out , lunch was arranged by Ramada in regular restaurant in Kochi , where this was served - Adapradhaman was fantastic - பச்சை மிளகு pickle was great. Didn't relish the papadam - too much soda !

Latest ads

Back