• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Status of brahmins in Global Scenario - reg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brahmins have helped many as they are born to work for lokakshemam. It is the Brahmin community which is at the receiving end today. There are not as many anti-brahmins outside the community as there are within the community. The whole world is working for others welfare including Brahmins. Then why not start working for the community. The things at ground level are not very good as against the view obtained from the satellite. It is enough if we have liberal ideas for the society which will reflect in our make up. But is it necessary to strut the streets with placards. If you have no commanding position you are not even going to help yourself.

dear Renuka madam !
your thought towards helping every body is nice in a long perspective. there is saying charity begins at home. we must first take care of our family,experience the joy of doing duty,continue with the community and finally it will become a habit to help all in humanity .there will be no second opinion of helping the needy in our society irespective of their religion,caste ,language or nation.
ultimately ,pathiram arinthu pitchai iddu will be the result.
cheers,
guruvayurappan

Last edited:
The statistics given need not be taken as sacrosanct. But I do appreciate the fact that such posts help in uplifting the spirits of Brahmins who face dwindling opportunities for education (lifeline for them) and employment in out country.Most Brahmins (especially in TN) do not hold land or any other form of property in significant measures and usually own much less, like household articles, few steel vessels, 'Pai' etc. Education has been their only hope for survival.

In today's world, knowledge of Vedas or ability to chant manthras are not useful for fetching the next meal on the plate. With opportunities of securing free/subsidized education shrinking, there is urgent need for the next-gen among brahmins to acquire market oriented skills which improve employ-ability. I suppose that includes venturing out in business, sports, skilled craftsmanship etc. in a big way. I couldn't care two hoots even if someone among us gets to make money by turning into a butcher or cobbler. What really makes the whole game worthwhile is the unending (Brahminical) desire to excel in whichever field is chosen.

However, the community must preserve the golden virtues of thrift, hunger for knowledge, integrity and devotion to god which have been handed over by the previous generations.

I was amused to go through the storm raised by some posts questioning the definition of brahmins, whether other brahmins are included etc. Although this site usually attracts tambrams, but is open to all. Views including criticism are welcome. All of us need to remember one thing - no matter how hard you try to forget your caste and your roots, our own government and polity will always remind you who you are. From birth till death, numerous forms which you fill ensure that you forget nothing. I feel proud to be a Brahmin though I can't chant manthras and have not studied the Vedas.

20-06-2012,

DEAR BRAHMINS,

INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT BRAHMINS
THE FIRST IN INDIA, 3rd IN ASIA, 11th IN WORLD MOST AFFLUENT COMMUNITY.
15% OF INDIA & 70% OF GUAJARAT'S BUSINESS ARE HANDLED BY BRAHMINS.
BRAHMINS ARE THE 4th RICHEST COMMUNITY IN THE WORLD. BRAHMINS HAVE
260 DIFFERENT SURNAMES. 35% NRI ARE BRAHMINS. IN 2018 BRAHMINS WILL BE
WORLD'S NO.1 COMMUNITY. HELP ALL BRAHMINS U COME ACROSS IN ALL possible
WAYS. SEND IT TO ALL BRAHMINS U KNOW. FEEL PROUD TO BE A BRAHMIN.

HELP DESERVING BRAHMINS, WHO ARE IN THE LOWEST EBBS, TO UPLIFT THEM,
WHICH SHOULD BE CONSIDERED AS EACH ONE RESPONSIBILITY TO REMOVE THEIR
POVERTY, SINCE IT IS CLINGING ON THEM IN CERTAIN PERCENTAGE.

THE REAL HAPPINESS LIES WHEN WE SACRIFICE AND HELP THE REALLY NEEDY AND
POOR, TO ERADICATE THE POVERTY.

JOIN IN THE ABOVE AND EXTEND YOUR SUPPORT IN THE WELFARE OF OUR COMMUNITY.
WITH FULL HEARTINESS.
- S.M.SRINIVASAN.

most of the doubts are about others' brahminess, not their own.

No, there are those who introspect too. And sometimes decide to renounce their caste, religion, social status, country of citizenship depending on their conclusions. Mr. Amitabh Bachchan for example gave his caste as INDIAN in the afore-mentioned census.

People do not become great because of their caste. They become great in spite of it. Nobody asks for the caste of Swami Vivekananda. Yet we can all get inspired by his ideas.

I was expressing my disdain for birth based superiority. It diminished the individuals self earned excellence. There is a lot of credit to be given to the environment. Can you assure me that all brahmins (because of their birth) are as intelligent as the other brahmins.
Sri Prasadji,
After reading your comments above, I went back and re read the OP a couple of times to be sure. I do not see any of the claims that you perceive. There is a mention of affluence and some stats (perhaps a guess) about the % of business handled by this community.
Where is the mention of intelligence and superiority here? If the very mention of the word Brahmin triggers these thoughts in the mind of the reader, the OP cannot be blamed. We need not just sulk and hide ourselves, just because some one could be offended. I see no offence in praising ourselves as a community. That this community has been resilient is ofcourse a matter of pride. Why should flaunting this in this forum cause fury and angry - I dont feel it justified.
Also claiming Brahmins to be superior to others unfortunate not to be brahmin is cruel and hurtful. Mr. Ozone you have not forgotten the battles we used to have with brahmin-bashers. How is this claim to superiority purely based on birth any different. Actually it proves the point the brahmin-bashers were making.
As pointed out, there is no such claim. I agree there could be a preference or discrimination in call for help. But that is not explicit, in the sense - it did not say - dont help others. At best this could have been pointed out or highlighted, not forcefully shooted down as it appears.

You may claim to be dumb if you are among your friends, who know you, and then you will be treated as modest. But if you are in a new place among strangers and claim to be dumb. you will be written off as dumb. It all depends on the context.
That was precisely my point. Why dont the same people accept intelligence in the same way? Why conclude on your own, feel happy for one and feel offended by the other, all by yourself and blame others for your situation.

No, there are those who introspect too. And sometimes decide to renounce their caste, religion, social status, country of citizenship depending on their conclusions. Mr. Amitabh Bachchan for example gave his caste as INDIAN in the afore-mentioned census.

People do not become great because of their caste. They become great in spite of it. Nobody asks for the caste of Swami Vivekananda. Yet we can all get inspired by his ideas.
that part has been addressed by Sri Sarang in his post #18. this comment is therefore redundant.
That people of a caste are great does not imply the caste made them so. I did not imply it, so your comments are out of place.

There is no taunting. It is just to point out that class warfare is dangerous. It is unnecessary to start one in a public forum where people of multiple caste are present. The person may be new but the rules of the forum states that it is open to all caste.
The calculation is based on misleading parameters. I can claim what ever I want, as long as I do not have to prove it to anyone else.
I do not want this to start another war. That is why I want Mr. Srinivasan to respond to my question.
dear prasad sir !
your post is really serving as a bit of caution notice .while we discuss a subject in a forum we have to take in to account the sentiments of all members in terms of language,region.subsect and gender .all should act in a manner to preserve the decorum of the forum. (sabhai nagarikkam). any comparison will lead to dispute . please not use superlatives and simply give out the happennings. even in our family we are advised not to compare .tell what you want in a clear manner and the benefits will be obtained (in some case it may take time )
guruvayurappan

that part has been addressed by Sri Sarang in his post #18. this comment is therefore redundant.
That people of a caste are great does not imply the caste made them so. I did not imply it, so your comments are out of place.

So why don't you come out and say it? Which people of which caste are great? Let's see how in-place your comments are. Hope you will also include some justification.

Status of brahmins in Global Scenario

The statistics given need not be taken as sacrosanct. But I do appreciate the fact that such posts help in uplifting the spirits of Brahmins who face dwindling opportunities for education (lifeline for them) and employment in out country.Most Brahmins (especially in TN) do not hold land or any other form of property in significant measures and usually own much less, like household articles, few steel vessels, 'Pai' etc. Education has been their only hope for survival.

In today's world, knowledge of Vedas or ability to chant manthras are not useful for fetching the next meal on the plate. With opportunities of securing free/subsidized education shrinking, there is urgent need for the next-gen among brahmins to acquire market oriented skills which improve employ-ability. I suppose that includes venturing out in business, sports, skilled craftsmanship etc. in a big way. I couldn't care two hoots even if someone among us gets to make money by turning into a butcher or cobbler. What really makes the whole game worthwhile is the unending (Brahminical) desire to excel in whichever field is chosen.

However, the community must preserve the golden virtues of thrift, hunger for knowledge, integrity and devotion to god which have been handed over by the previous generations.

I was amused to go through the storm raised by some posts questioning the definition of brahmins, whether other brahmins are included etc. Although this site usually attracts tambrams, but is open to all. Views including criticism are welcome. All of us need to remember one thing - no matter how hard you try to forget your caste and your roots, our own government and polity will always remind you who you are. From birth till death, numerous forms which you fill ensure that you forget nothing. I feel proud to be a Brahmin though I can't chant manthras and have not studied the Vedas.

Dear "lotus_quartz",

Well said. I agree with your well thought out analysis of the Brahmins in the present social conditions.

Caste as I understand is a social division based on birth. So long the Caste identities are recognised any one born to the Brahmin parents is entitled to call himself/herself as "Brahmin". In patriarchal linage we follow the Caste of father. or Caste of the mother, as in the matriarchal linage prevailing among the Malayalees. Interestingly hold of Caste is sacro-sanct and practiced in some form or other among all religious communities in the sub-continent.

Whereas fourfold Varna is a Socioeconomic division based on different functions to serve the Society as a whole, allegorically described in the Purush-sukta. The inter-mix and inter-change of Varna is not uncommon and has many instances in our Puranas.

It is the duty of every Brahmin to remember our roots, and help to maintain the Patasalas which teach our Vedic literature.

We should always remember that "Survival of the fittest" is the evolutionary law of Nature, in this highly competitive World and maintain the excellence in any field they choose.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Some are born great; some achieve greatness, some have greatness thrust on them - irrespective of caste.

Long ago, when kushwant singh was the editior of 'the illustrated weekly of india', he ran a series on a large number of communities (castes); his list of illustrious people from various disciplines for each caste, was comparable both in numbers and quality; most of them were proud of their castes, carried their caste surname and were never apologetic about it.

So why don't you come out and say it? Which people of which caste are great? Let's see how in-place your comments are. Hope you will also include some justification.

I already mentioned that I find your comments out of place. So, I see no obligation to stand up to your challenge.
There are great people and people who feel great irrespective of their caste. Many of these people feel great about their caste too.
One could also find some great people who feel miserable about their caste and some about other's too.

I disagree. It sounds better if worded "One could also find some people who feel miserable only about their caste and never about other's."

One could also find some great people who feel miserable about their caste and some about other's too.

I disagree. It sounds better if worded "One could also find some people who feel miserable only about their caste and never about other's."
What I meant to say was there are people who might or might not feel anything about their own caste, but find other's caste miserable.

Frankly speaking do we have to feel great about anything?
Just give this a thought..the same Atma in us has been through various lives starting from a single cell unit to the multicellular human being.

We have been through all types of lives before from primitive right up to sophisticated.

What have we not been in previous lives and not be in future lives?

I guess if we can digitize the stored data in our Chitta portion of our antahkarana we can watch a video of all our previous lives.

So technically before anyone of us reaches Moksha we have to go through every state of life.
So where does the question of anyone feeling proud of anything arise?

Last edited:
Mr. Ozone,
I am surprised at the comments you are making. When you thump your chest and proclaim your superiority, it is obvious that you are issuing a challenge to others. The greatness of an individual is not in chest thumping but in modesty. Your own comment is of modesty, but now you are praising arrogance.

Frankly speaking do we have to feel great about anything?
Just give this a thought..the same Atma in us has been through various lives starting from a single cell unit to the multicellular human being.

We have been through all types of lives before from primitive right up to sophisticated.

What have we not been in previous lives and not be in future lives?

I guess if we can digitize the stored data in our Chitta portion of our antahkarana we can watch a video of all our previous lives.

So technically before anyone of us reaches Moksha we have to go through every state of life.
So where does the question of anyone feeling proud of anything arise?

Such a voice of reason, thanks.
Somebody has to show some reason, in this overload of testosterone anf empty chest thumping.
Nobody is great because of being borne in a caste. If that was true then all Brahmins should be great. You are great due to various parameters. The environment of your growing up plays a great part.
A child born of NB family and adopted by a Brahmin family may turn out great and be included in the list of Brahmins.
But reverse that is a Brahmin born child adopted by a NB family and achieves greatness will be excluded from this kind of list.

This lists are flawed, and should be discarded.

Individuals achievement should be celebrated, not an arbitrary group.

What I meant to say was there are people who might or might not feel anything about their own caste, but find other's caste miserable.

According to your own statement, you are nothing. one can say "Mr. Ozone would be nothing, except that he was lucky to be borne in a Brahmin family". Or you can also say that "adi Sankaracharya owes everything that he achieved to being born in a brahmin family". You do grave injustice to individual achievement.

Mr. Ozone,
I am surprised at the comments you are making. When you thump your chest and proclaim your superiority, it is obvious that you are issuing a challenge to others. The greatness of an individual is not in chest thumping but in modesty. Your own comment is of modesty, but now you are praising arrogance.
The thumping and proclamation is an interpretation of the observer, not of the individual.
I only acknowledged or raised the visibility to the arrogance around. The praise is again an intepretation.

According to your own statement, you are nothing. one can say "Mr. Ozone would be nothing, except that he was lucky to be borne in a Brahmin family". Or you can also say that "adi Sankaracharya owes everything that he achieved to being born in a brahmin family". You do grave injustice to individual achievement.
I am not sure I understand this. I did not mean what is being stated. Perhaps my use of words, or English. Sorry for being mis-interpreted.

Surely the site is open to all, but please re-read the url...the site is primarily for tamil brahmins. I suppose brahmin bashers have several other forums for that.

Just because the URL is tamilbrahmins.com does not mean the site is primarily for tamil brahmins. The site is for all - Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, Kannada, Brahmins, Non Brahmins etc... - Praveen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe there is no harm in being proud of one's community & more so nothing wrong in doing good to one's community. This is a very common phenomenon with most castes in India, Muslims world over. One'd even find Jews being highly organised on community lines. For brahmins to do that peacefully, should not be ridiculed, but a welcome move!

After all, we're not doing any community bashing (unlike dravidian parties).

The thumping and proclamation is an interpretation of the observer, not of the individual.
I only acknowledged or raised the visibility to the arrogance around. The praise is again an intepretation.

100% agree - no harm in highlighting achievements of a community. By this act, we're not berating anyone or individual achievements.

This submission by amitab bachan raises a few questions.

1. Since there is no caste as 'indian' in the government caste register, he must apply to the government to include it in the list.
2. It is a wrong answer.
3. In which category this new caste must be put - forward, BC, MBC, SC/ST or dalit? Very important for the politicians and pseudo seculars.
4. If 'indian' caste is an 'indian' national, what about other castes? Can they they put their caste against nationality.

I think in his statement he is confusing caste, region and language. His wife is a bengali brahmin, and his dil is a bunt/khashtriya. tambrams too, in the last two generations have dropped the iyer/rao/iyengar caste names; mudaliar, chettiar, thevar etc have also vanished from the names. But I see a weak revival of adding iyer/ iyengar at the end.

Mr. Amitabh Bachchan for example gave his caste as INDIAN in the afore-mentioned census.

27-06-2012,

Dear Members,

Status of Brahmins in Global Scenario - reg.

Sorry, I am unable to continue the thread, due to my ill health. As I am in the convalescing stage, after operation of Cataract and Gluecoma,
I will give the feed back soon, once I restored the normalcy.

In the meanwhile, I welcome all your comments.

Warm regards,

S.M.SRINIVASAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back