• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Seed of Thought (Social drinking by women and men)..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ms.Amirtha,

I understand that the messages of Shri TBT are not zeroed-in on judging the characteristics of liquor drinking humans as bad or worst humans. The messages just attempts to emphasizes the fact that alcohol is harmful in many ways and it is need full to instill such thoughts in the minds of growing children.

These messages are inclined towards shaping the tendencies in growing children so that they can refrain from such habits and or can be careful in choosing their taste and limits.

Off course, it all depends on the people who are reading these messages and are parents and are non drinkers themselves with similar views, to get to know as how things can be presented to their children to make them refrain from drinking habits, in the present context of globalized environment where party without alcoholic drinking is no party even among growing teens.

The rest of the folks who don't find the messages meaningful and useful can well ignore them, as they are the better judge of their own.

I don't think, people/parents who drink and get into socialized drinking with their children need to feel guilty and go defensive reading these messages. At least not to consider them as attempting towards character assassination of drinking folks/families.

Just my thoughts and understanding that I wanted to share with you. It is not intended to find fault with you. Hope you can understand my POV.

Thank you.
[FONT=&quot]
Shri Ravi[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Sorry for the late reply. Ok here is my reply. I am not favouring alcohol consumption. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Ok. When TBT said alcohol is one of the huge factor in cause of rape, I said it was not the case. We cannot generalise the population. Sexual assault occurs despite alcohol use, not because of it. When someone extremely intoxicated, that person become impaired. So they are not going to sexually assault someone. Offenders who sexually assault when drunk, do so, not because they are intoxicated, but despite their intoxication. If you do not at least think about doing something when sober, you are not likely to do it when drunk. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Offenders usually premeditate to do the offence. Intoxicated people have much more control over their behaviour than what society generally recognised. In fact , imo it is the society which presumes or gives excuse for the intoxicated to behave in such way. For example, as I mentioned earlier I watched a tamil movie, in that movie it was shown that it is ok to swear under the influence of alcohol. These kinds of portrayals in the movies only give our teenagers idea about alcohol. All I am saying is alcohol is social issue. Imo men/women with good ethics wont behave in such way in the first place.

Kind Regards
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Shri Ravi

Sorry for the late reply. Ok here is my reply. I am not favouring alcohol consumption.

Ok. When TBT said alcohol is one of the huge factor in cause of rape, I said it was not the case. We cannot generalise the population. Sexual assault occurs despite alcohol use, not because of it. When someone extremely intoxicated, that person become impaired. So they are not going to sexually assault someone. Offenders who sexually assault when drunk, do so, not because they are intoxicated, but despite their intoxication. If you do not at least think about doing something when sober, you are not likely to do it when drunk.

Offenders usually premeditate to do the offence. Intoxicated people have much more control over their behaviour than what society generally recognised. In fact , imo it is the society which presumes or gives excuse for the intoxicated to behave in such way. For example, as I mentioned earlier I watched a tamil movie, in that movie it was shown that it is ok to swear under the influence of alcohol. These kinds of portrayals in the movies only give our teenagers idea about alcohol. All I am saying is alcohol is social issue. Imo men/women with good ethics wont behave in such way in the first place.

Kind Regards

Dear Amirtha,

I have repeated time and enough in these spaces that alcohol and rape has a relationship is NOT my invention. IT is what is coming out of research and is a well-known fact. It is amply visible in India.

Alcohol and acquaintance rape:
Alcohol & rape: the connection
Tranformations Treatment Center

The above two are just a small tip. Actually there is some good amount of work done in this field and people now for sure know how alcohol contributes to rape.

So why should you be hesitant to accept a fact as it is..?

-TBT

There is perfect correlation between the number of sun spots and the number of eggs laid by chicken belonging to Mr. Bradrock in Australia. The probability of 1.
It is called coincidence.

Humans seem to be a rather superstitious lot — whatever the subject, people are able to develop superstitions around it. People wear lucky clothing, carry lucky objects, and think that they have lucky numbers or days. How do such superstitious beliefs develop and what causes them to be reinforced?

The general root of superstition is that men observe when things hit, and not when they miss, and commit to memory the one, and pass over the other.
- Francis Bacon, quoted in 2000 Years of Disbelief, by James A. Haught.

These are figures about the statistical occurrence of strange coincidences, the ones we readily remember. Just how much more common are the events that aren't so strange — all of the events that we don't remember because there simply isn't anything remarkable about them? It's unfortunate that Francis Bacon's insight into the development of superstition remains unknown and unrecognized for so long.

Dear Amirtha,

I have repeated time and enough in these spaces that alcohol and rape has a relationship is NOT my invention. IT is what is coming out of research and is a well-known fact. It is amply visible in India.

Alcohol and acquaintance rape:
Alcohol & rape: the connection
Tranformations Treatment Center

The above two are just a small tip. Actually there is some good amount of work done in this field and people now for sure know how alcohol contributes to rape.

So why should you be hesitant to accept a fact as it is..?

-TBT

[FONT=&quot]Shri TBT[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I do not want to keep talking about alcohol. I am not supporting alcohol consumption not because of rape. Long-term alcohol consumption causes ill health. So I do not want to create a impression that I am supporting alcohol consumption because I am not agreeing with your OP message.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]OK. The two articles you provided me with are mainly talking about women drinking. Both are based on western countries. I did not know women in India drink regularly and invites trouble. I do not think bottle of alcohol set next to a willing glamorous woman would rape her. Imo we are here in this forum to discuss and raise opinions. Alcohol doesn’t rape[/FONT].

[FONT=&quot]Kind Regards[/FONT]

Shri TBT
I do not want to keep talking about alcohol. I am not supporting alcohol consumption not because of rape. Long-term alcohol consumption causes ill health. So I do not want to create a impression that I am supporting alcohol consumption because I am not agreeing with your OP message.

OK. The two articles you provided me with are mainly talking about women drinking. Both are based on western countries. I did not know women in India drink regularly and invites trouble. I do not think bottle of alcohol set next to a willing glamorous woman would rape her. Imo we are here in this forum to discuss and raise opinions. Alcohol doesn’t rape.

Kind Regards

As I said, there are more solid research and data on this. You just need to read a lot more 'data' and not 'opinions'.

In anycase in India, rape happens due to several reasons. It happens due to caste (to show superiority), suppress women (to show the power of men on women), revenge (that happens in army, police) etc.. These can be addressed via structural changes in society and more accountability.. These do not largely happen in western societies except for the revenge (army, police) type...

But please look at carefully the urban rape cases, in India or anywhere. Guwahati molestation, Park street rape, Delhi Gangrape and so many other urban rape incidents in US/Europe which could be classified as date rape, acquaintance rape etc, they have happened under the influence of alcohol either on men or women. In many of these the root-cause may still be the men vs women divide (superiority issues), but once judgement gets impaired by alcohol, the beast in men come out or the guard in women goes down leading to rape incidents.

So alcohol in men or women leads to rape incidents is well known. You may contest the point that that should not mean women or men should not drink.

As I wrote earlier, human history is replete with love-hate see-saw relationship with alcohol. It has been suppressed several times only to come out, spread, cause huge revulsion, then get suppressed again to margins of society.

This blog was more to seed thoughts in our mind,in line with our value-systems, so that even if we happen to indulge in such things, we tend to control ourselves, as it hurts our conscience, as our value-systems tend to be part of our conscience.

-TBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back