• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Til Seed used for perfoming Tharpanam .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Friends,
Last year my Co-Brother lost his father and he lived for 104 years.
Recently I lost my Father-in-Law at the age of 85 years.
My Father-in- Law was following one particular advice from his Sambandhi .
It was like this.
Use minimum quantity ( hardly 4 or 5 Til Seeds ) Til ( Ellu )seeds for performing Amavasai and Tharpanams during Grahanam, shrardham. The reason he was quoting was Every Father and mother of a particular person are eleigible only for a particular quantity of Til from his Son ( adhuthan Lebichadhu ). It means as explained by my Father in Law , this will extend the Ayusu of the person performing these cermonies.
Is it a Fact. Any body there to clarify.

H.Krishnamurthy...

HK,

i am really amazed sir, and i wish you get the best of the benefit from the immense eruditon here in this forum.

just a thought - if someone's life could be extended, by apparently such a simple act, as the number of till seeds in a tharpanam, i would indeed be very surprised that this has been kept a secret.

that is my take on this, having performed close to thousand tharpanams for parents, grand parents and what not. though i dont do it any longer.

best wishes and my heartfelt desire for a long and happy life for yourself, regardless of the number of till seeds you use.

Last edited:
Dear Friends,
Last year my Co-Brother lost his father and he lived for 104 years.
Recently I lost my Father-in-Law at the age of 85 years.
My Father-in- Law was following one particular advice from his Sambandhi .
It was like this.
Use minimum quantity ( hardly 4 or 5 Til Seeds ) Til ( Ellu )seeds for performing Amavasai and Tharpanams during Grahanam, shrardham. The reason he was quoting was Every Father and mother of a particular person are eleigible only for a particular quantity of Til from his Son ( adhuthan Lebichadhu ). It means as explained by my Father in Law , this will extend the Ayusu of the person performing these cermonies.
Is it a Fact. Any body there to clarify.

H.Krishnamurthy...

Til seeds merchants will say the exact opposite!

Dear Sangom sir,
I am sorry sir as I donot agree with your statement that Til merchants will say opposite way.
Hardly 1 % of the till grown are consumed for Tharpanam and for such similar acts.
99% is consumed for making oil and for certain eatables of TIL.
Please donot mistake me for disagreeing with you.
H.K.

Dear Mr. Sangom sir,
Few years back I was also ignoring and pow pow such hearsay.
Recently in Alayam I read one article on Kulam , Gothram and it's significance in marriages and all follwed by our elders.
The author co-relates this with latest medical study of DNA , genetics etc. Please read this then am sure you will appreciate the importance of such small details. Following or not following is individual thinking.
Few years back I read one article in some magazine in which a German scientist on Astro physics was surprised by seeing our Navagraham and its arrangement in most of our Hindu Temples.
We have read and accepted that Sun is the centre of our Solar system and all other Grahams are revolving around Sun.
The discovery of this was made by some scientist , some 400 to 500 years back and we have read this in our High School.
The German Scientist is rather surprised How we Indians identified in 10 th or 11 th century and could built that in Temples , bcoz the position of each Graham is as per the existing one viewed from India.
There is some thing in our ancester beleif sir , which we donot follow or cannot follow one to one for the reason there is no written document or the theory behind it.
Any way sorry for taking few moments of yours.
H.Krishnamurthy

Last edited:
Mr. Sadasivam Sridharan,
It is only the beleif and am not sure whether it is based on Shastras or any written note on consumption of Til Seeds.
I can tell you one more thing which my Grand mother used to say frequently.
After a good late Lunch on any Festival day or after function my Father used to ask my mother to Prepare Kanchi with Butter milk instead of a dinner. Normally the Kanchi is prepared from Grounded Floor, Which my granny used to oppose as "Ra ma agadhuda " means Rathri Mavu Agadhu. ( Dont consume Grounded Floor in the Night. ). Which is easily digestable .
Now Doctors ask us to avoid such easily digestable things as it may lead to Diabetis and advice us to consume things like Chappathi etc during night.
I am 200 % sure my granny was tottaly illitrate.
Now We cannot find any written document for this, like wise in our Brahmin culture we perform Shrardha , Darpanam and similar acts to our Father and Mother. It is beleived that a Father and mother is eligible to get only a certain quantity of Ellu and Thanni from his Son / s ( ivvalavu ellu thanniyum than lebichadhu ). This may be their beleif and Reason for using less quantity of Til.
Any way it is only beleif.
Thanks for your querry and any of our friends have authentic answer for this may reply to this.
H.Krishnamurthy..
No

Shri Krishnamurthy,

May be my statement about what எள்ளு வியாபாரிs would say was not acceptable, but please consider the case of a brahman who does not perform சிராத்தம், தர்ப்பணம், etc., at all. If the said rule or principle is correct such non-conformist Brahmins ought to have the longest lifetimes because the எள்ளு-quota destined for their ancestor will never be exhausted. Hence I do not think it is true.

From practical cases also I have seen many very old brahmins using abundant quantities of til during the tarpanams on Avani Avittam day when many of us congregate. I take it that they would be using such good quantities of எள்ளு when performing தர்ப்பணம் in the privacy of their houses also. But they do live to be 85 and +.

Thirdly, old women in my house used to say that எள்ளும் தண்ணும் நிறையக்குடுத்தாத்தான் வம்சம் விருத்தியாகும், இல்லைன்னா சட்டும் பொட்டுமாகப் பொறக்கும், meaning that if we do not give enough of til and water the family lineage will be stopped and we will get deficient and deformed children. So, the two rules are both beliefs IMHO.

Dear Sangom Sir,
I too agree with you as my elders used to say Ellu thanniyum erachha vamsa vrudhiyagum varisugal nalla irukkum . This was the say and not neraya ellu.
2nd thing is You were talking about Brahmins not performing Tharpanam etc. The next question will be what about Non Brahmins and others like Christians muslims etc. There is no end to this.
Recently I read an article in Aalayam which corelates our beleif of Kulam Gothram with recent medical terms Geens, DNA and Chromosomes and all that.This prompted me to share whatever I heard from my elders.
Just we will consider one small thing.
You know very well that in most of the Temples in Kerala and part of Tamilnadu all Males have to enter the Temple with Bear Top, means only Dhoti and Angavastram or the other Towel tied around Waist . Just imagine if the same rule is applied to Hindu temples at Jammu, Himachal Pradesh and other places. During winter am sure no body including the archagar there will not dare to enter into Temple with such Dress.
It is only the beleif just beleif and we consider all these things , if not convenience , not troublesome.
Sorry if have crossed my limit.
H.K.

Sangam sir - Til tharpanam for vamsa vruddhi, i.e male progeny, has come a long way. Your ideal suggestion for more female progeny? When so many things are favourable for girls strike the iron while it is hot so that the ecological imbalance in tambram community can be set right and only just right.

Sangam sir - Til tharpanam for vamsa vruddhi, i.e male progeny, has come a long way. Your ideal suggestion for more female progeny? When so many things are favourable for girls strike the iron while it is hot so that the ecological imbalance in tambram community can be set right and only just right.

Shri Iyya,

The simple, mathematical way would be to stop tila tarppanam ;) But since that is not a feasible idea, pray for female children, and, marry your son/s in families having more daughters than sons. No other idea strikes me right now please. May be we may stop "seemantonnayanam" because it is to ensure male progeny!

Dear Iyyarooran sir and Dear Sangom Sir,
This never came to my mind. Ofcourse my Co-brother had 6 more brothers and 2 sisters and my Father in law had 5 sons and two Daughters. Fine this may be their beleif now all questions are answered and a fabulous new twist or a new answer is " our elders beleived that want more sons ( or Vamsa vridhhi ) use more til to perform Tarpana , if you are fed up of only sons , perform these things to satisfy your Pidrukkal with less quantity of Til. Just GREAT SIR.
K.M.

Yes Sir,
Our Elders were just great in their thinking and day to day act.
Sad part is there is no written document for these minute details. Every thing just hearsay.
It is sad that when we are young around 20 to 30 years of age we give little attention to our elders wordings and advice etc for the simple reason that we are too preoccupied with our routine commitments , like new employment newly married and all those things. Any way sharing such minute details thru this forum will make us aware.
Thanks once again
K.M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back