• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Seed of Thought (Social drinking by women and men)..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings.

Quite an interesting thread.

1. I was a farmer. If the seeds bought from the nursery did not germinate in the expected time, I would have complained about that to the nursery with some choice words; would have replanted with different brand of seeds; kept my fingers crossed. As a farmer I won't wait for a very long time risking loosing a crop. Well, that's me anyway.

2. I am a social drinker when I get invited to parties. I only drink beer in such parties ( I hate beer. That is not my drink of choice at all). Usually I would just carry one beer all through the evening with only consuming half bottle.

3. At home when there is no party, I really drink my brand of choice until I get drunk ( that's once in 7 to 10 days). By the time I finish listening to songs or finish watching any movie, I would be sober. I don't recommend alcohol to anyone though. It is like catching tiger by the tail. So far I have my tiger tamed.

4. For a male, usually alcohol may not help very much towards his potency since alcohol tends to relax all muscles. ( but it also increases BP which helps. So very little quantity may help!). For girls, relaxation of muscle is good. So, a bit more in quantity than the male would actually help.

5. I don't consider consumption of alcohol as a sin or something terrible. But if a person lacks self control, such persons should not go near alcohol.

6. Alcohol doesn't usually cause aggressive behaviour.

Like I said before, I am not recommending alcohol to anyone. anyone wishes to catch tiger by the tail may do it at their own risk.

Cheers!

Hmm.. No size fits all...

But alcohol impairs judgement and causes violent behavior. It is well known. For eg. most of the rape cases happening in India (and surely the brutality of it) is happening due to alcohol.

Relationship between alcohol and violence:
Alcohol, Violence, and Aggression - Alcohol Alert No. 38-1997

I have worked in a de-addiction center and I have seen how alcohol transforms from an enjoyable companion (in the social drinking phase) to a monster that consumes the master over a period.

Some people escape that transition. NOT SURELY because of SELF-CONTROL. It is due to sheer luck that they did not get into such circumstances and their time favored them.

I have seen in that center how people who boast that they are just social drinkers (these people would accompany alcoholics for de-addiction) having self-control and the alcoholics are at fault due to lack of self-control, become alcoholics at other points of time. I have asked them how their self-control vanished. They tell me it is just their bad time.

Some people slowly get into it without them understanding that they are getting into it.

It is a bit complex. Indians in general lack self-control due to their culture, where excess is prosperity and goodness. There are a lot of factors that determine if this transition happens.

As I said, no size fits all..

Good luck..

-TBT

TBT Sir,

It is surprising to note that the same type of argument happened btn me and my husband. He believes that there is nothing wrong in a small drink. You need not drink, but don't criticize those who have drinks, he tells me! It is just a social fashion, If you don't like, you can have pepsi, that's his view point! Don't paint everyone as an addict! - is his view!!

But I feel it is very wrong to have a view like this. It means ACCEPTANCE of a bad habit which has the potential to ruin a person's entire life. Thinking about bigshots and all those is one side, just by accepting that it is social and that there is nothing wrong in drinking, does anybody know how many students take to drinking these days?

If a thing is dangerous and supposedly will make you addict,then why to hail it with a good name ,better say this is bad frankly and openly and accept the criticism? Just because we feel we will be termed 'traditional and conservative' we lack the guts to call a spade a spade.

It is said 'Wise men learn from other's mistakes' ; why should everybody do the same mistake and learn by that way itself? It is better to abstain from drinking and let us remove the social status given to it. Atleast imho, those who fear the ridicule of society will be kept away from being tempted to 'drink'.

regards
anamika

Dear Anamika

Your husband is right in the sense today people want to differentiate between 'responsible drinking' and 'alcoholism'. I think it is not something new.

If you read the history of alcohol it has always had love-hate relationship. People will start taking it, promote 'responsible drinking' and then it will slowly spread and become very prevalent, start hurting the society and then there will be a backlash against it. Societies will start abhoring and prohibiting alcohol. The prohibition will become very strict and alcohol will get marginalized only to get back into society after time..

This has been the case always.

But for a Brahmana Jati or a Brahmana Varna (Knowledge provider) a brain de-hydrating substance is NO good according to our collective wisdom of past.

It is unfortunate Brahmans (in the last 5-6 decades) have fallen for it over a period in the name of progress, as they tried to adapt to newer professions for living..

-TBT

Indians in general lack self-control due to their culture, where excess is prosperity and goodness.
-TBT

LOL! I thought you had said in some earlier post that you thank your culture for everything and now you contradict your own self?
So now you feel that Indian culture promotes lack of self control?

Sri. TBT, Greetings.

But alcohol impairs judgement and causes violent behavior. It is well known. For eg. most of the rape cases happening in India (and surely the brutality of it) is happening due to alcohol.

In the case of rape or violence, the person or persons usually premeditate to perform an act of violence or rape. As far as I know, usually a person gets stalked and at the most opportune ( or at the most unfortunate time) the victim gets attacked. Alcohol is taken only to increase the bravedo. Alcohol consumption is an usual occurence in most places. Why everyone is not involved in the acts of rape or violence?

I think you may have read the article you posted to support your claim. The conclusion of that article is
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Alcohol apparently may increase the risk of violent behavior only for certain individuals or subpopulations and only under some situations and social/cultural influences(4,36).

I know pure sadists who never drank alcohol. Violence need not be physical only. What about psychological violences? Have you thought about that? Well, I look at the whole picture.

Only people with alcohol misuse issues are referred to de-addiction centres. I know; I do it all the time. In the past 6 months I had 4 alcoholics in my hand. Right now I am managing an alcoholic ( I have a meeting this afternoon). Although this gentleman is an alcoholic, seldom I see him aggressive unless he was taunted by others ( that happened too. Once I bated for an alcoholic in an aggression issue).
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Alcohol doesn't affect everyone.[/FONT]

I am not recommending alcohol to anyone. It is like catching a tiger by the tail.

Cheers!

[/FONT]

LOL! I thought you had said in some earlier post that you thank your culture for everything and now you contradict your own self?
So now you feel that Indian culture promotes lack of self control?

No, in our culture, excess is good. This is the way we are. If u get a guest at home, we fall over them and ask them to eat more. If they eat more then we feel our food is good and take pride in it. If they eat less, we think something is wrong.

So in that culture, if we introduce alcohol, we are going to take it more. We won't know when to stop.

Surely I thank my culture for having a balanced way of life, but there are some of its characteristics that may not be good for newer things getting introduced. That's where we need to tailor ourselves.

-TBT

Sri. TBT, Greetings.

In the case of rape or violence, the person or persons usually premeditate to perform an act of violence or rape. As far as I know, usually a person gets stalked and at the most opportune ( or at the most unfortunate time) the victim gets attacked. Alcohol is taken only to increase the bravedo. Alcohol consumption is an usual occurence in most places. Why everyone is not involved in the acts of rape or violence?

I think you may have read the article you posted to support your claim. The conclusion of that article is .

I know pure sadists who never drank alcohol. Violence need not be physical only. What about psychological violences? Have you thought about that? Well, I look at the whole picture.

Only people with alcohol misuse issues are referred to de-addiction centres. I know; I do it all the time. In the past 6 months I had 4 alcoholics in my hand. Right now I am managing an alcoholic ( I have a meeting this afternoon). Although this gentleman is an alcoholic, seldom I see him aggressive unless he was taunted by others ( that happened too. Once I bated for an alcoholic in an aggression issue).
[/SIZE][/FONT]Alcohol doesn't affect everyone.

I am not recommending alcohol to anyone. It is like catching a tiger by the tail.

Cheers!

Sir,

the connection between alcohol and rape is well proved. In US 2/3rd of rape cases are caused by alcohol.

Connection Between Alcohol and Rape

Alcohol & rape: the connection

Alcohol and Sexual Assault

How Alcohol Abuse Can Lead To Sexual Assault & A Need For Alcohol Rehab

Yes, there are some who opine that cultural tendencies aggravate it. But overall evidence as u could see in this is, alcohol impairs judgement and brings out what has been kept suppressed by our judgement.

-TBT

Greetings.

Quite an interesting thread.

1. I was a farmer. If the seeds bought from the nursery did not germinate in the expected time, I would have complained about that to the nursery with some choice words; would have replanted with different brand of seeds; kept my fingers crossed. As a farmer I won't wait for a very long time risking loosing a crop. Well, that's me anyway.

2. I am a social drinker when I get invited to parties. I only drink beer in such parties ( I hate beer. That is not my drink of choice at all). Usually I would just carry one beer all through the evening with only consuming half bottle.

3. At home when there is no party, I really drink my brand of choice until I get drunk ( that's once in 7 to 10 days). By the time I finish listening to songs or finish watching any movie, I would be sober. I don't recommend alcohol to anyone though. It is like catching tiger by the tail. So far I have my tiger tamed.

4. For a male, usually alcohol may not help very much towards his potency since alcohol tends to relax all muscles. ( but it also increases BP which helps. So very little quantity may help!). For girls, relaxation of muscle is good. So, a bit more in quantity than the male would actually help.

5. I don't consider consumption of alcohol as a sin or something terrible. But if a person lacks self control, such persons should not go near alcohol.

6. Alcohol doesn't usually cause aggressive behaviour.

Like I said before, I am not recommending alcohol to anyone. anyone wishes to catch tiger by the tail may do it at their own risk.

Cheers!
hi raghy sir,
i like to say something..........when i was serving in the ARMY....generally every week end some kind of parties....every body

MUST attend the party...its the rule of the military...i generally drink cold drinks/soft drinks....i never touch hard drinks....

maximum every body takes hard drinks with meat.....im a non drinker/non meat eater....once my commanding a sikh officer....

he is sardar....first class KUDI MAGAN TOO...he asked me...........why are u drinking always soft drink?....why dont you try

hard drink....i said i never had it before joining army....i dont want now...i dont want in future too....he laughed and said

jokingly......U HAVE TO BORN AGAIN TO FULFILL UR QUOTA OF THIS JANMA TO ANOTHER JANMA.....i said sir....if i drink now...

i may get good quality now....but after my retirement....i may not able to buy good quality liquor...then i have to go to

nearest TASMAC for cheap liquor....so better to avoid..even in high altitude service....i never tried....becoz i know

the consequences.....i saw many collegues/friends life ruined after their retirement...many families destroyed....

No, in our culture, excess is good. This is the way we are. If u get a guest at home, we fall over them and ask them to eat more. If they eat more then we feel our food is good and take pride in it. If they eat less, we think something is wrong.

So in that culture, if we introduce alcohol, we are going to take it more. We won't know when to stop.

Surely I thank my culture for having a balanced way of life, but there are some of its characteristics that may not be good for newer things getting introduced. That's where we need to tailor ourselves.

-TBT

Dear Sir,

Force feeding guest is a bad habit.
So far I have never had guest in my house cos I do not like to invite anyone home.

But when it comes to family members coming for a meal for example my Father In Law..I keep a strict watch on what he eats cos he is a diabetic.
So no force feeding for him asking him to eat more etc.

Even in my parents house when they have guests..my parents make sure they ask them if they are Diabetic/Hypertensive or with any diet restrictions and meals are tailor made to suit each one.

So I feel this is a good way to entertain guest.

BTW just to share a joke..since this thread is about alcohol...last week when my FIL came to visit my parents at their home..my mum was preparing tea for him and my mum asked him from the kitchen "do you want quarter,half or full?"

I was wondering what is this quarter,half and full my mother was asking and I joked with my mum "what is this quarter,half,full? Since when are we serving alcohol in the house?"

My mum said "No No I meant whether he wants a quarter teaspoon of sugar or half teaspoon or full teaspoon of sugar since your FIL is a diabetic"

My FIL burst out laughing hearing me teasing my mother about quarter,half and full!LOL

hi raghy sir,
i like to say something..........when i was serving in the ARMY....generally every week end some kind of parties....every body

MUST attend the party...its the rule of the military...i generally drink cold drinks/soft drinks....i never touch hard drinks....

maximum every body takes hard drinks with meat.....im a non drinker/non meat eater....once my commanding a sikh officer....

he is sardar....first class KUDI MAGAN TOO...he asked me...........why are u drinking always soft drink?....why dont you try

hard drink....i said i never had it before joining army....i dont want now...i dont want in future too....he laughed and said

jokingly......U HAVE TO BORN AGAIN TO FULFILL UR QUOTA OF THIS JANMA TO ANOTHER JANMA.....i said sir....if i drink now...

i may get good quality now....but after my retirement....i may not able to buy good quality liquor...then i have to go to

nearest TASMAC for cheap liquor....so better to avoid..even in high altitude service....i never tried....becoz i know

the consequences.....i saw many collegues/friends life ruined after their retirement...many families destroyed....

Dear TBS Garu,

When I travel from M'sia to India by plane..one can see many Kudi Magans/Kudi Magals from India buying duty free alcohol.

But what sometimes I dislike about Kudi Magans is they try to make others drink too.

Kudi Magans should not encourage others to drink and respect their decisions not to drink.

Last edited:
Shri TBT,

I read all your posts and I agree with all in Toto.

YES, drinking alcohol is fun and so is smoking cigarettes and smoking weed!! Otherwise humans would not opt for it.

People who drink alcohol advice their friends not to smoke as smoking is more harmful than consuming liquor. But do all smokers accept unanimously? Smokers have their own version of justification, saying, many chain smokers have lived till 70+ years with out any major diseases and many non smokers have suffered from cardiac arrest, cancer etc and have died in much younger age. It's all in our fate and let us enjoy until we feel like enjoying smoking.

These habits can serve only a specific purpose of satisfying our sense of satisfaction for the moment and can take a different turn altogether physically and emotionally, in due course of time. It depends on each individual's sense of responsibility for the self and the people associated with him/her.

At the end of the day, individuals would realize how right were they or how wrong were they, depending on the degree of their habits and it's consequences of any sort. Any amount of suggestions and advices would hardly get across other fellow humans.

As a caring and responsible humans, parents and true friends tend to advice their near and dear one's to be away from such habits to be on a safer side.

As it is humans suffer from diseases, many of which are peculiar in nature and totally unexpected, for which they are personally not at fault due any such habits, consciously. In such a case people who are not into such habits and are responsible and caring would for sure tend to advice their near and dear one's at times, to keep off from such habits. It then depends on addicted individuals to act as how they deem fit with their own freedom of choice, rational thoughts, sense of disciplined and controlled consumption and or prioritized sense of erring by avoiding, to not to be at risk by their own self.

For the both acceptability and rejection of drinking liquor, people can show ample examples by figuring out the enjoyment of Socially Drinking Happy Folks without putting themselves and others in trouble and Self Ruining Folks, ruining themselves and effecting their near and dear one's/others due over indulgence OR being unfortunately in a wrong place - at a wrong time - in a wrong group - in a negative emotional state etc. and get into destructive activity being carried away by the influences of alcohol.

What to say? It's Kali yuga. In this atmosphere with a different life style, profession and global interactions, people tend to pick up some or other such habits, knowingly or unknowingly.

It is for each individual to evaluate and decide how he/she wants to live. I personally don't complain non drinkers and non smokers who could not resist and often tend to advice their friends, family members and near and dear one's to quit such habits.

IMHO, we should value the love and care with which our well wishers advice us for our own betterment and should value any moral messages/quotes in those lines. If we are really smart, responsible and have the sense of responsibilities for the self and towards our near and dear ones, we should keep on allowing their attempts to seed thoughts in our mind in an acceptable manner. This would for sure help us in some way and at least at certain point of time.

tbs Sir,

Nice to see your post and the decision you have taken about drinks. Actually people who don't drink/smoke are teased by peers as "Baayanthankolis" and nerveless people. In reality, it is the reverse. Only those who can master their senses and temptations can never by 'Baayanthankolis" ! Isn't it?

I also want to add info. about a Tambram who changed my husband's opinion about drinks. This friend is a school senior of my husband and they met each other after a long period thro some office contact. He has served in the Navy and after 40 yrs, he quit service and is now conducting a mountaineering and adventurous camp for kids, families and offices. My husband attended one of such camps and was surprised to know that for all his navy backgound,strenuous physical training and everything, his senior is still a vegetarian and teetotaller. He says we can manage any altitude without resorting to nv diet or drinks. And the first rule they put for people attending their camps is not to bring booze with them and if any person is found to violate,he is strictly sent out of the camp.

This tambram person does Surya namaskarams with his family daily and they are really fit!

regards
anamika

hi raghy sir,

Shri TBT,

I read all your posts and I agree with all in Toto.

YES, drinking alcohol is fun and so is smoking cigarettes and smoking weed!! Otherwise humans would not opt for it.

People who drink alcohol advice their friends not to smoke as smoking is more harmful than consuming liquor. But do all smokers accept unanimously? Smokers have their own version of justification, saying, many chain smokers have lived till 70+ years with out any major diseases and many non smokers have suffered from cardiac arrest, cancer etc and have died in much younger age. It's all in our fate and let us enjoy until we feel like enjoying smoking.

These habits can serve only a specific purpose of satisfying our sense of satisfaction for the moment and can take a different turn altogether physically and emotionally, in due course of time. It depends on each individual's sense of responsibility for the self and the people associated with him/her.

At the end of the day, individuals would realize how right were they or how wrong were they, depending on the degree of their habits and it's consequences of any sort. Any amount of suggestions and advices would hardly get across other fellow humans.

As a caring and responsible humans, parents and true friends tend to advice their near and dear one's to be away from such habits to be on a safer side.

As it is humans suffer from diseases, many of which are peculiar in nature and totally unexpected, for which they are personally not at fault due any such habits, consciously. In such a case people who are not into such habits and are responsible and caring would for sure tend to advice their near and dear one's at times, to keep off from such habits. It then depends on addicted individuals to act as how they deem fit with their own freedom of choice, rational thoughts, sense of disciplined and controlled consumption and or prioritized sense of erring by avoiding, to not to be at risk by their own self.

For the both acceptability and rejection of drinking liquor, people can show ample examples by figuring out the enjoyment of Socially Drinking Happy Folks without putting themselves and others in trouble and Self Ruining Folks, ruining themselves and effecting their near and dear one's/others due over indulgence OR being unfortunately in a wrong place - at a wrong time - in a wrong group - in a negative emotional state etc. and get into destructive activity being carried away by the influences of alcohol.

What to say? It's Kali yuga. In this atmosphere with a different life style, profession and global interactions, people tend to pick up some or other such habits, knowingly or unknowingly.

It is for each individual to evaluate and decide how he/she wants to live. I personally don't complain non drinkers and non smokers who could not resist and often tend to advice their friends, family members and near and dear one's to quit such habits.

IMHO, we should value the love and care with which our well wishers advice us for our own betterment and should value any moral messages/quotes in those lines. If we are really smart, responsible and have the sense of responsibilities for the self and towards our near and dear ones, we should keep on allowing their attempts to seed thoughts in our mind in an acceptable manner. This would for sure help us in some way and at least at certain point of time.

Dear Sir,

Agree with you.. :)

-TBT

tbs Sir,

........... Actually people who don't drink/smoke are teased by peers as "Baayanthankolis" and nerveless people. In reality, it is the reverse. Only those who can master their senses and temptations can never by 'Baayanthankolis" ! Isn't it?

regards
anamika

Very true!! People who don't drink and smoke are the most emotionally controlled and strongest lots, in general. They are the people who are not bothered much out of control by their happiness and sorrow, though they are burdened with responsibilities, some or other worries and are constantly planning for a better future. They hope and work hard carrying this weight of thoughts in their mind. Still they don't need any sort of diversions and stimulation by smoking Cigarette or smoking weed and or drinking Alcohol. Whether it's extreme happiness or extreme sorrow, they don't resort to drinking as the only way to positively stimulate their mind.

Where as many people start drinking and some even get terribly addicted owing to unmanageable heavy thoughts with worries and fear due lack of self confidence. As well, as the best way of experiencing the happiness in full swing, having fun of getting boozed up.

It's all individual perception and attitude, their limitations, weakness and strength. As I said in my previous post, every one at the end of the day got to evaluate as how and where one is/was right and wrong. At the end of the day every one got to justify themselves. What ever may be the justification within for the self, one have to bear one's own responsibilities, as an adult.

[FONT=&quot]Drinking and eating non-vegetarian food both are personal preferences. Just because a person eat non-veg and drinks doesn’t make him/her less of a human being. Even so called vegetarian and healthy food also causes health issues. Soft drinks are worst of the lot. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I watched one tamil movie long time ago. I think it is Sathya Raj movie. In that movie the hero goes to a party and the villain abuses him. When the hero asked the reason for his behaviour, the villan says that he is under the influence of alcohol, so he can say whatever he feels like. So next minute the hero consumes some alcohol and start to abuse the villan. Basically they say whatever they want to say to each other under the influence of alcohol. So alcohol can act like truth serum LOL...[/FONT]

Drinking and eating non-vegetarian food both are personal preferences. Just because a person eat non-veg and drinks doesn’t make him/her less of a human being. Even so called vegetarian and healthy food also causes health issues. Soft drinks are worst of the lot.

May be read the write-up once. I don't think it talks about more or less human beings.

I think the core message is here how thoughts that we seed in us grow on us later.

Drinking is NOT healthy by any stretch of imagination. For eg. there are media reports that keep coming about Red Wine's benefits to heart. But that is due to reservatrol which is found in fruits and later research added that if it is mixed with alcohol, actually benefits go down.

The write-up is simply about how we seed ourselves with thoughts that shape/guide our future.

-TBT

May be read the write-up once. I don't think it talks about more or less human beings.

I think the core message is here how thoughts that we seed in us grow on us later.

Drinking is NOT healthy by any stretch of imagination. For eg. there are media reports that keep coming about Red Wine's benefits to heart. But that is due to reservatrol which is found in fruits and later research added that if it is mixed with alcohol, actually benefits go down.

The write-up is simply about how we seed ourselves with thoughts that shape/guide our future.

-TBT

Your messages portray judgmental and opinionated views about persons' who choose to eat non-veg diet and who choose to use alcoholic beverages.

Your messages portray judgmental and opinionated views about persons' who choose to eat non-veg diet and who choose to use alcoholic beverages.

Ms.Amirtha,

I understand that the messages of Shri TBT are not zeroed-in on judging the characteristics of liquor drinking humans as bad or worst humans. The messages just attempts to emphasizes the fact that alcohol is harmful in many ways and it is need full to instill such thoughts in the minds of growing children.

These messages are inclined towards shaping the tendencies in growing children so that they can refrain from such habits and or can be careful in choosing their taste and limits.

Off course, it all depends on the people who are reading these messages and are parents and are non drinkers themselves with similar views, to get to know as how things can be presented to their children to make them refrain from drinking habits, in the present context of globalized environment where party without alcoholic drinking is no party even among growing teens.

The rest of the folks who don't find the messages meaningful and useful can well ignore them, as they are the better judge of their own.

I don't think, people/parents who drink and get into socialized drinking with their children need to feel guilty and go defensive reading these messages. At least not to consider them as attempting towards character assassination of drinking folks/families.

Just my thoughts and understanding that I wanted to share with you. It is not intended to find fault with you. Hope you can understand my POV.

Thank you.

Hmm.. In the write-up..? There a Dad expresses his opinion and the daughter expresses her opinions equally.. So where does it become opinionated..? And that too about people..? Any example..?

-TBT

Ms.Amirtha,

I understand that the messages of Shri TBT are not zeroed-in on judging the characteristics of liquor drinking humans as bad or worst humans. The messages just attempts to emphasizes the fact that alcohol is harmful in many ways and it is need full to instill such thoughts in the minds of growing children.

These messages are inclined towards shaping the tendencies in growing children so that they can refrain from such habits and or can be careful in choosing their taste and limits.

Off course, it all depends on the people who are reading these messages and are parents and are non drinkers themselves with similar views, to get to know as how things can be presented to their children to make them refrain from drinking habits, in the present context of globalized environment where party without alcoholic drinking is no party even among growing teens.

The rest of the folks who don't find the messages meaningful and useful can well ignore them, as they are the better judge of their own.

I don't think, people/parents who drink and get into socialized drinking with their children need to feel guilty and go defensive reading these messages. At least not to consider them as attempting towards character assassination of drinking folks/families.

Just my thoughts and understanding that I wanted to share with you. It is not intended to find fault with you. Hope you can understand my POV.

Thank you.

Thanks Sir, You summed it up very nicely..

-TBT

hi raghy sir,

Disclaimer - I don't recommend alcohol to anyone. Alcohol usage is like catching a tiger by the tail. Alcohol increases BP; most indians suffer from hypertension.

Dear Sri.TBS, Greetings.

I agree with you. In India, during our generation, alcohol was but an unwanted habit. It was quite expensive too.

But my point in this thread is simple. If someone chooses to have few social drinks or few drinks at home, one should not pass judgement on him/her. The tone of the OP and subsequent many messages are but judgemental. I am questioning such opinionated messages.

Personally I don't support alcohol abuse. There was a meeting today.. I voted against my boss and the consultant pschiatrist... my vote was unfavourable ( my vote carried the maximum weight due to circumstances) to the alcoholic; I let that person know of my decision later in the evening. The simple reason is, that person has no self control. ( Now it is up to me to formulate a rehab plan).

This is not an easy subject to discuss. From what I observe, most members think it is best to abstain from alcohol in total. Thats fine. But the world is not like that. Majority persons consumed alcohol or similar intoxicating beverages.

Personally I think one should be armed with enough information to manage situations where alcohol is involved. I did not want to get into silly arguments here. I could have... but, 'vidhanda vaadham' is not my aim ( I don't do that in any thread, anyway).

Trying to scaremonger youngsters away from alcohol will not work. It may very well work in India... not in Aussie Land anyway. For half an excuse, there would be a party with drinks. (In the past over 20 years, as a rule I have not consumed any alcohol in any work place parties. that is beside the point). I teach my kids about alcohol management. In my opinion, that is more effective.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Disclaimer - I don't recommend alcohol to anyone. Alcohol usage is like catching a tiger by the tail. Alcohol increases BP; most indians suffer from hypertension. Dear Sri.TBS, Greetings.I agree with you. In India, during our generation, alcohol was but an unwanted habit. It was quite expensive too. But my point in this thread is simple. If someone chooses to have few social drinks or few drinks at home, one should not pass judgement on him/her. The tone of the OP and subsequent many messages are but judgemental. I am questioning such opinionated messages. Personally I don't support alcohol abuse. There was a meeting today.. I voted against my boss and the consultant pschiatrist... my vote was unfavourable ( my vote carried the maximum weight due to circumstances) to the alcoholic; I let that person know of my decision later in the evening. The simple reason is, that person has no self control. ( Now it is up to me to formulate a rehab plan).This is not an easy subject to discuss. From what I observe, most members think it is best to abstain from alcohol in total. Thats fine. But the world is not like that. Majority persons consumed alcohol or similar intoxicating beverages. Personally I think one should be armed with enough information to manage situations where alcohol is involved. I did not want to get into silly arguments here. I could have... but, 'vidhanda vaadham' is not my aim ( I don't do that in any thread, anyway). Trying to scaremonger youngsters away from alcohol will not work. It may very well work in India... not in Aussie Land anyway. For half an excuse, there would be a party with drinks. (In the past over 20 years, as a rule I have not consumed any alcohol in any work place parties. that is beside the point). I teach my kids about alcohol management. In my opinion, that is more effective. Cheers!
I agree with you Raghy (not what you wrote that my OP and subsequent messages are opinionated and judgemental :) ) that different environments need different solutions.If you are in Aussie land where average Australian drinks 8 litres of alochol every year, alcohol abstention is difficult. Alcohol is next to tobacco in causing preventable deaths and hospitalization. Where Binge drinking is common and clubs brag about macho culture in their facebook pages, ofcourse alcohol management is a bi(e)tter pill compared to abstention, which may seem just next to impossible..The media, Alcoholic businesses and Political establishment in India is pushing India to become like western countries in drinking without the vital support structure facilities in health management and poverty levels. In India abstention is the key for everyone.And that too, I repeat and think, people born in Brahmana Jati or in Brahmana Varna, they should follow their wisdom of past atleast in India.-TBT

I agree with you Raghy (not what you wrote that my OP and subsequent messages are opinionated and judgemental :) ) that different environments need different solutions.If you are in Aussie land where average Australian drinks 8 litres of alochol every year, alcohol abstention is difficult. Alcohol is next to tobacco in causing preventable deaths and hospitalization. Where Binge drinking is common and clubs brag about macho culture in their facebook pages, ofcourse alcohol management is a bi(e)tter pill compared to abstention, which may seem just next to impossible..The media, Alcoholic businesses and Political establishment in India is pushing India to become like western countries in drinking without the vital support structure facilities in health management and poverty levels. In India abstention is the key for everyone.And that too, I repeat and think, people born in Brahmana Jati or in Brahmana Varna, they should follow their wisdom of past atleast in India.-TBT

Sri. TBT, Greetings.

Now we are talking!

Kindly don't bring any caste in this subject, please. ( I am allergic to caste names and caste specifics). India does not have the frame work to support or guide people away from alcohol abuse situations.

Secondly, alcohol is expensive in India. I mean, quality alcohol. That leaves people to seek inferior quality or impure quality. The distillation and brewing is very important in alcohol production. Due to inferior distillation, not just alcohol but other undesired chemicals gets consumed. Quantity of alcohol is not controlled either. Sometimes it can be pretty high like 60 plus percent too! due to the lack of quality control, it is very hard to control alcohol usage in India. It can be very easily abused.

Have you heard about 'rice wine'? I heard that is a wicked drink. It could contain alcohol anywhere from 20% to 60 % by volume and anything in between. It is very hard in such situations.

But the reason foor my participation in this thread is to protest caste oriented tone of the messages and opinionated and judgemental messages( yes, there are a few).

Cheers!

Sri. TBT, Greetings.

Now we are talking!

Kindly don't bring any caste in this subject, please. ( I am allergic to caste names and caste specifics). India does not have the frame work to support or guide people away from alcohol abuse situations.

Secondly, alcohol is expensive in India. I mean, quality alcohol. That leaves people to seek inferior quality or impure quality. The distillation and brewing is very important in alcohol production. Due to inferior distillation, not just alcohol but other undesired chemicals gets consumed. Quantity of alcohol is not controlled either. Sometimes it can be pretty high like 60 plus percent too! due to the lack of quality control, it is very hard to control alcohol usage in India. It can be very easily abused.

Have you heard about 'rice wine'? I heard that is a wicked drink. It could contain alcohol anywhere from 20% to 60 % by volume and anything in between. It is very hard in such situations.

But the reason foor my participation in this thread is to protest caste oriented tone of the messages and opinionated and judgemental messages( yes, there are a few).

Cheers!

I think u r confusing two threads.

In this thread it was about seeding thoughts about alcohol in such a way that people don't develop positive ideas about it later.

Actually you claim you do that. You claim that you talk to your kids about alcohol management and Dad here talks about alcohol abstention.

Both are seeding thoughts in the hope that it will grow and protect. I am not sure where caste came in here..

There was another thread which was specific about Brahmins eating non-vegetarians. There my reply was that they should not do it as even science says vegetarianism gives good quality of life and why we should drop it.. There the title was about Brahmins and hence caste comes in there..

-TBT

Disclaimer - I don't recommend alcohol to anyone. Alcohol usage is like catching a tiger by the tail. Alcohol increases BP; most indians suffer from hypertension.

Dear Sri.TBS, Greetings.

I agree with you. In India, during our generation, alcohol was but an unwanted habit. It was quite expensive too.

But my point in this thread is simple. If someone chooses to have few social drinks or few drinks at home, one should not pass judgement on him/her. The tone of the OP and subsequent many messages are but judgemental. I am questioning such opinionated messages.

Personally I don't support alcohol abuse. There was a meeting today.. I voted against my boss and the consultant pschiatrist... my vote was unfavourable ( my vote carried the maximum weight due to circumstances) to the alcoholic; I let that person know of my decision later in the evening. The simple reason is, that person has no self control. ( Now it is up to me to formulate a rehab plan).

This is not an easy subject to discuss. From what I observe, most members think it is best to abstain from alcohol in total. Thats fine. But the world is not like that. Majority persons consumed alcohol or similar intoxicating beverages.

Personally I think one should be armed with enough information to manage situations where alcohol is involved. I did not want to get into silly arguments here. I could have... but, 'vidhanda vaadham' is not my aim ( I don't do that in any thread, anyway).

Trying to scaremonger youngsters away from alcohol will not work. It may very well work in India... not in Aussie Land anyway. For half an excuse, there would be a party with drinks. (In the past over 20 years, as a rule I have not consumed any alcohol in any work place parties. that is beside the point). I teach my kids about alcohol management. In my opinion, that is more effective.

Cheers!
hi raghy sir,
just for info....here many liquor stores are running gujjus in USA....my gujju friend has 3 liquor stores here....beer is cheaper than water

here....i agreed...even though many gujjus running big liquor stores...they never drink in home.. may be outside with friends in

parties...social drinking is a new concept...it is accepted in many places/home...i have to say..i heard somewhere...one senator of

USA caught in drunken driving by the police..he was under DUI list....so nobody is exempted atleast in USA....even though

we have enough bars/casinos more than gas stations....still ppl are very rensponsible in drinking ...now the real problem....

teenage drinking and driving.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back