• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Salmagundi or Avial (அவியல்).

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the colony where we lived we had a mini India and the north Indian kids will roam the streets the entire day throwing color powers and aiming water jets at all the people passing by.
I used to offer my forehead for the color thilakams resembling a traffic lamp post
rather than be drenched in the water and coated in the color powders. :)

Holi is most celebrated in the Braj region of India, in locations connected to Lord Krishna: Mathura, Vrindavan, Nandagaon, and Barsana, which become tourist destinations during the season of Holi.

Large parts of South India, however, do not celebrate Holi with the same fervor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holi

AVIAL is best for our health. Receipies with potato or grams produces gas in our stomach. Already our brahmin food is a spoiler with a lot of gas activity both in man and woman above age 40. LOL.

Your comment "brahmin food is a spoiler with a lot of gas activity" is impertinent. It does not happen to everybody, and certainly not the way you imagine. In fact, gas is more of a problem even with Western diet. Read the following:

Flatulence:Gas buildup in the colon

Intestinal gas is typically caused by the fermentation of undigested food, such as plant fiber, in the colon. Gas can also form when your digestive system doesn't completely break down certain components in foods, such as gluten or the sugar in dairy products and fruit, especially in old age.

Other sources of intestinal gas may include:

· Food residue in your colon
· Changes in intestinal bacteria due to antibiotics or other medications
· Carbohydrate malabsorption, which can upset the balance of helpful bacteria in your digestive system
· Swallowed air that migrates to your colon
· Constipation — the longer food waste remains in your colon, the more time it has to ferment

Sometimes, gas indicates a digestive disorder, such as irritable bowel syndrome or lactose intolerance.

To prevent excessive gas, it may help to:

· Avoid or minimise the foods that affect you most. Common offenders include beans, peas, lentils, cabbage, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, bananas, raisins, whole-wheat bread, salads and carbonated drinks. If dairy products are a problem, try low-lactose or lactose-free varieties.

· Eat fewer fatty foods. Fat slows digestion, giving food more time to ferment.

· Temporarily cut back on high-fiber foods. Fiber aids digestion, but many high-fiber foods are also great gas producers. After a break, slowly add fiber back to your diet.

· Eat slowly. Try to make meals relaxed occasions. Eating when you're stressed or on the run can interfere with digestion.

· Get moving. It may help to take a short walkafter eating.

Last edited:
Onlne Help

ss45.gif

Last edited:
My doctor brother advises 'after dinner walk' to all the oldies in our family! :)

Especially if you are diabetic. More important, finish your dinner before 7 PM, wait 15 minutes after eating, then walk for at least 20minutes. If you can't go out for a walk, get a tread-mill or an indoor bike. If you can't afford, at least walk non-stop, up and down the floor of the biggest room or hall in your house or flat!

If you have a sugar-testing monitor, you can see the dramatic results before and after the 20-minute effort. The last mentioned exercise, if you do it as a jogging even for 10 minutes the result can be surprising even to the confirmed sceptic !! If your knees are a problem, sit down on the floor and swing your arms around left and right.

Where can I find the source of this info? It is a good ad for iPad. If I send this to Apple, I may get some remuneration !!
Sir, Its not my creation, so I would not be able to help you with that. For all you know, it might be copyrighted.
You can just right click on the image and save it.

Sir, Its not my creation, so I would not be able to help you with that. For all you know, it might be copyrighted.
You can just right click on the image and save it.

It was easy to figure out that it was not your creation. It was tongue-in-cheek to get the source of the info !!

A new imaging technique helps to monitor how brain cells coordinate with each other to control specific behaviors.

The technique detects calcium ions in neurons to map the brain circuits, thus providing insights into the origins of autism, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and other psychiatric diseases. By studying people who exhibit symptoms of autistic behavior and obsessive-compulsive disorder, one can look for neuronal firing patterns that differ from those of normal people.

Defects in neuron-neuron communications play a key role in psychiatric disorders. If we can identify what cell types are abnormal, appropriate drugs could be developed to correct the abnormal firing patterns.

Watch this video New imaging study

Exercising on an empty stomach could be better than doing so after a meal, according to a recent study.

Men who had a workout before breakfast lost more fat than those who did so after the first meal of the day, scientists found

You want to read an international magazine, but cannot afford the annual subscription.. Then, if you don’t mind reading it digitally, check out if the magazine you want is available on Magzter, which calls itself a digital-magazine store. More than anything, the price will surprise you. For subscribing to the US print copy of Maxim will cost you $64.99 a year. On Magzter, you can get it for just $14.99, a 75 per cent discount. You can read the magazine on any device — desktop, laptop and tablet, and soon on your smart phone too.

Magzter Inc, registered in the US, has been started by Girish Ramdas, who is its co-founder and CEO, and Vijayakumar Radhakrishnan,co-founder and President, both of whom are from Chennai. Girish, 37, is an engineering graduate from AnnaUniversity. Vijay, 35, has a bachelor’sin computer science from Madras University and a master’s in management from BITS, Pilani.

Magzter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back