• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Salmagundi or Avial (அவியல்).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naina_Marbus

What does Salmagundi mean?

Salmagundi is an English salad dish, comprising cooked meats, seafood, vegetables, fruit, leaves, nuts and flowers and dressed with oil, vinegar and spices. The equivalent French word is "salmagondis", meaning a hodgepodge or mix of widely disparate things.

The term does not refer to a single recipe, but describes the grand presentation of a large plated salad comprising many disparate ingredients. These can be arranged in layers or geometrical designs on a plate or mixed. The ingredients are then drizzled with a dressing. The dish aims to produce wide range of flavours and colours and textures on a single plate. Often recipes allow the cook to add various ingredients which may be available at hand, producing manyvariations of the dish.

Salmagundi is also purportedly a meal served on pirateships. It is a stew of anything the cook had on hand, usually consisting of chopped meat, anchovies, eggs, and onions, often arranged in rows on lettuce and served with vinegar and oil, and spiced with anything available.

So, Salmagundi is used figuratively in modern English to mean a mixture or assortment of things. It is likely that the name is connected with the children’s rhyme, Solomon Grundy:

Solomon Grundy,
Born on a Monday,
Christened on Tuesday,
Married on Wednesday,
Took ill on Thursday,
Grew worse on Friday,
Died on Saturday,
Buried on Sunday.
That was the end,
Of Solomon Grundy.

The synonyms of salmagundi are potpourri , medley, hodgepodge etc. So I wanted to start a new thread which would be a hodgepodge or mix of widely disparate things.

I could have used any of the other synonyms, but I just wanted the thread to have a totally different title to vet the curiosity, hence the choice of the unheard-of new word. I wanted the title to reflect and capture the flavour of the disconnected posts in my thread.

The equivalent South Indian word is Avial (அவியல்), so that pretty much sums it up.

Last edited:
Two Elements not found in the Periodic Table.

Element: Man
Symbol: XY
Atomic weight: 180 +/- , depending on isotopic constituents.

Physical properties:
° Solid at room temperature, but easily bends out of shape.
° Fairly dense and sometimes flaky.
° No well-characterized melting point. Can readily sublime into the vapour state.
° Difficult to find a pure sample, often found contaminated with element WO. (see below)
° Aging samples are unable to conduct electricity, unlike young samples.

Chemical properties:
° Strong affinity for element WO. Will try to bond with WO any chance it can get.
° Becomes explosive when mixed with Kd ( Element Kid) for a prolonged period of time.
° Neutralizes readily with alcohol.

Usage:
° Impure samples: None really, except for methane production.
° Pure samples: When complexed with WO, can produce large quantities of XY and WO.

Caution:
° Must be kept with samples of WO. In the absence of WO, decomposes rapidly.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Element: Woman
Symbol: Wo ( in some countries, Woe)
Atomic weight: 120 +/- , depending on isotopic constituents.

Physical properties:
° Generally hour-glass shaped, decays over time into a round or barrell form.
° Can Boil and freeze at anytime.
° Melting point: rarely melts. But, does melt when treated properly, in the presence of XY.
° Electrical conductivity reverses polarity for a few days every month.

Chemical properties:
° Very active, violent if not handled properly.Often bitter and caustic.
° Possesses very strong affinity to gold, silverand diamond.
° Turns slightly green when placed next to a similar atom.
° Ages rapidly.

Usage:
° Highly ornamental.
° When complexed with XY, can produce large quantities of XY and WO.
° Good catalyst for disintegration of wealth.
° Most powerful reducing agent (Based on environment, can reduce money to noble metals).

Caution:
° Highly explosive in inexperienced hands.

Last edited:
Two Elements not found in the Periodic Table.

Element: Man
Symbol: XY
Atomic weight: 180 +/- , depending on isotopic constituents.

Physical properties:
° Solid at room temperature, but easily bends out of shape.
° Fairly dense and sometimes flaky.
° No well-characterized melting point. Can readily sublime into the vapour state.
° Difficult to find a pure sample, often found contaminated with element WO. (see below)
° Aging samples are unable to conduct electricity, unlike young samples.

Chemical properties:
° Strong affinity for element WO. Will try to bond with WO any chance it can get.
° Becomes explosive when mixed with Kd ( Element Kid) for a prolonged period of time.
° Neutralizes readily with alcohol.

Usage:
° Impure samples: None really, except for methane production.
° Pure samples: When complexed with WO, can produce large quantities of XY and WO.

Caution:
° Must be kept with samples of WO. In the absence of WO, decomposes rapidly.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Element: Woman
Symbol: Wo ( in some countries, Woe)
Atomic weight: 120 +/- , depending on isotopic constituents.

Physical properties:
° Generally hour-glass shaped, decays over time into a round or barrell form.
° Can Boil and freeze at anytime.
° Melting point: rarely melts. But, does melt when treated properly, in the presence of XY.
° Electrical conductivity reverses polarity for a few days every month.

Chemical properties:
° Very active, violent if not handled properly.Often bitter and caustic.
° Possesses very strong affinity to gold, silverand diamond.
° Turns slightly green when placed next to a similar atom.
° Ages rapidly.

Usage:
° Highly ornamental.
° When complexed with XY, can produce large quantities of XY and WO.
° Good catalyst for disintegration of wealth.
° Most powerful reducing agent (Based on environment, can reduce money to noble metals).

Caution:
° Highly explosive in inexperienced hands.

I agree with all you say about both of the elements. Women element missing the emotional properties .LO

I for got say women symbol should be XX

Regards
Amirtha

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with all you say about both of the elements. Women element missing the emotional properties .LO

I for got say women symbol should be XX

Regards
Amirtha

Thank you. The post is meant to be a parody. Hence the choice of XY for man was only because I could not come up with a more appropriate symbol for man, similar to that for woman where WO was a convenient handle to convey woman is wo(e)man!! Note that I said symbol WOE is used in some countries

Last edited:
Thank you. The post is meant to be a parody. Hence the choice of XY for man was only because I could not come up with a more appropriate symbol for man, similar to that for woman where WO was a convenient handle to convey woman is wo(e)man!!

I really enjoyed that. Thank you

Somejokes to mull over:

Caveat: The following jokes may be familiar to some,and may have been posted before in this forum or elsewhere. But, like Mahabharatastories, jokes are meant to be recycled so that successive generations ofnewcomers can also learn (?) from them.

Wife: Hubby dear, our son has secured the top rank in his class at the school.
Husband: Yes, I know, dear, he got his brains from me.
Wife: I am sure he did. Because, I still have mine with me,

Last edited:

Jokes going the rounds in the software sector:

God is real, unless declared integer.
Hecame, he saw, he deleted all the files.
A bug identified is better than two undetected

How many engineers you need to fix the power failure?

a)If power supply is under the control of private companies: None. Because the engineers just defined darkness as an industry standard.
b)If power supply is controlled by the government:
None. Because the government just enacted a law defining darkness as the societal norm.

Last edited:

This old woman had a vision one night, in which God told her that she had another 30 years to live. The woman woke up, and decided that since she was going to live for another 30 years, she was going to look young again. So she put herself up through a lot of cosmetic surgeries - nose reshaping, liposuction, face-lift, botox and what not.

At the end of all those face-lifts, she looked at herself in the mirror. She was so young-looking and gorgeous that she could not even recognise herself in the mirror. So, she went out and started living life to the full.

A few months later, she was hit by a car and killed instantly. She entered the portals of heaven. When she was ushered into the presence of God, she blurted out:"Why, God, did you go back on your words of assuring me another 30 extrayears of life"?

And God said: "Sorry,Mame, I couldn't recognise you".

Last edited:

An almost bald man protests to his barber:

"I don't have much hair. You should charge me only half of what your cutting charges are for your regular customers".

Barber:"Sir, I am indeed charging you only half the standard rate. The other half represents service charges for having to search for the hair".

So aviyal = a collection of random thoughts! :bump2:

One who loves the ADAI is sure to love the aviyal too! :)

What happened to the Thoughts thread and

the occasional interesting information???:confused:

A car mechanic inspected the car giving an unknown trouble.

He smiled after sometime and kicked it hard at a particular point.

The engine came back to life.

His fees was an enormous amount!!! :shocked:

The car owner wailed,

"How can you charge so much a simple kick?" :popcorn:

The mechanic replied benevolently,

"Sir the kick is free of cost. :nono:

The fees is for diagnosing where to kick it!". :faint:

"I don't have much hair. You should charge me only half of what your cutting charges are for your regular customers".

Barber:"Sir, I am indeed charging you only half the standard rate. The other half represents service charges for having to search for the hair".

WHY does the man who is almost bald need a haircut in the first place??? :confused:

He can just give an occasional shine to the globe and look well groomed!!!:rolleyes:

images
images
images

Spicy colorful Salmagundi in different styles. Help yourselves liberally!!!

........ Barber:"Sir, I am indeed charging you only half the standard rate. The other half represents service charges for having to search for the hair".
Yes! He was one of my 'aRivoLi's!!

அறிவொளி - 62

இரட்டைக் கட்டணம்!
-----------------------

அறிவொளி அழகாக

ஆண்களுக்கென ஒரு

சிகை அலங்காரக் கடை

ஆரம்பித்தான்! அதில்,

வழுக்கை மனிதர்களுக்கு

சிகை அலங்கரிக்க,

இரட்டைக் கட்டணம்

வசூலித்தான்! ஏனென்று

நண்பன் வினவ,

பதில் வந்தது,

'தேடித் தேடி அலங்கரிக்க

அதிக நேரம் ஆகுமே!'

:fish2:

Yes! He was one of my 'aRivoLi's!!

அறிவொளி - 62

இரட்டைக் கட்டணம்!
-----------------------

அறிவொளி அழகாக

ஆண்களுக்கென ஒரு

சிகை அலங்காரக் கடை

ஆரம்பித்தான்! அதில்,

வழுக்கை மனிதர்களுக்கு

சிகை அலங்கரிக்க,

இரட்டைக் கட்டணம்

வசூலித்தான்! ஏனென்று

நண்பன் வினவ,

பதில் வந்தது,

'தேடித் தேடி அலங்கரிக்க

அதிக நேரம் ஆகுமே!'

:fish2:
Glad to know that you had posted a Tamil version earlier. As I mentioned at the beginning of the thread, these jokes have been around for such a long time, there is bound to be recycling! But, at least, some newbies get a chance to be aware of such jokes, so they can use them to amuse their grandkids or even their grandparents, if not their school/college/office-mates!!

So aviyal = a collection of random thoughts! :bump2:

One who loves the ADAI is sure to love the aviyal too! :)

What happened to the Thoughts thread and

the occasional interesting information???:confused:
I am still ‘thinking’ about what further items to post in "Thoughts.." and the "Occasional.."suffers from not coming across genuinely interesting new information to post ‘frequently’!!

Plus, my activities have suddenly hit a road block: I have an attack of allergic rhinitis that refuses to go away, and neither the allopathic system nor the ayurvedic system (at any rate their practitioners) could come with the right medicines. And the doctors harangue me not to use both the systems! Use one or the other. Why? Does anyone have an acceptable answer?
Anyway, the city is so polluted and dirty,only mother nature could come to my help.

Last edited:

Dear Naina Sir,

I am sorry to note about your illness. Shall pray the mother nature for your speedy recovery. :pray:

Regards......... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back