• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

rgurus nonpolitical discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgurus

Hygiene and health education:
It is true that we as Indians irrespective of the level of our literacy show scant regard for public hygiene, be it solid waste disposal, spitting, pissing or defecating in public. IF ONLY THERE IS A LONG DISTANCE SPITTING COMPETITION IN OLYMPICS, I AM SURE WE WILL SWEEP ALL THE THREE MEDALS--GOLD, SILVER AND BRONZE leaving very little scope for others. A few years ba
ck we saw a union minister spitting nonchalantly on the railway platform unmindful of the presence of media persons and public, which act was promptly telecast throughout the country! What an image it would have created in the eyes of the world about us?
The condition of bathrooms and toilets in college hostels, why even in trains and planes is something very deplorable. The same is true with most of the toilets in government offices and buildings too. Our maintenance record is generally very poor and particularly so when it is a question of public utility. We attach lot of significance to personal hygiene but care the least when it comes to public hygiene. Even in the case of garbage and other such solid wastes, we generally feel that once we throw the waste in the street, not necessarily in the street bin, we think our job is done! Thus the LITERATES are also equally responsible for the present deplorable situation.
A major problem seems to be that in cities like Chennai, 30 percent of the population live in platforms with no roof over their head and it is highly uncharitable on our part to criticise them for not having latrines. Food, water and shelter are their priorities and latrines and hygiene are of least interest to them. Hence they do not volunteer to opt for latrines. It is the bounden duty of the local bodies and the governments, both State and Centre to provide enough public conveniences for these unfortunately placed people and also to impart proper education to them on how to maintain these sanitary facilities. Our political parties vie with each other in offering TVs and other electrical gadgets as freebees before every election as a part of their vote bank politics and latrines do not form part of their scheme of things.
To imbibe hygienic sense in the individuals, general education will help to some extent, but that alone is not adequate. HEALTH EDUCATION should be imparted not only to the slum and platform dwellers but also to the EDUCATED AND THE WELL INFORMED. EDUCATE THE EDUCATED, then TEACH the mothers and the TEACHERS particularly at the elementary school level so that they can catch the children young and train them. This should also form part of the general education. There is a saying in Tamil that AS IS THE TEACHER, SO ARE THE STUDENTS. So the teachers play an important role in moulding the hygienic habits of children. Once the children get used to living hygienically , they will demand such facilities and will be able to convince their parents to switch over to better living conditions. We all know this, but that is not enough. WE HAVE TO ACT.

பிராமணர்கள் பேசுகிற தமிழ் சிறந்தது! ஆராய்ச்சி முடிவு!
By ராம் எம்.சுந்தரம்
First Published : 26 February 2016 01:12 PM IST
"பிராமணர்கள் பேசும் தமிழ் மற்றவர்கள் பேசுவதை விட உச்சரிப்பு சுத்தமானது என்று ஆராய்ச்சியாளர்கள் கண்டுபிடித்துள்ளார்கள்.

தமிழை சரியாக உச்சரிப்பது யார் என்று சர்வதேச ஆராய்ச்சி ஒன்று சமீபத்தில் நடைப்பெற்றது. தமிழை சரியாகவும் அட்சர சுத்தமாகவும் உச்சரிப்பவர்கள் பிராமணர்களதான் என்று ஆராய்ச்சி முடிவை வெளியிட்டு அதற்கு விருதும் பெற்றுள்ளனர இந்த ஆராய்ச்சியாளர்கள். தமிழைப் பேசும் மற்றவர்களை விட ம அழகாகவும் மிகச் சரியாகவும் பேசுபவர்கள் தமிழ் பிராமணர்கள் தான் என்று இந்த முடிவு தெள்ளந்தெளிவாகக் கூறுகிறது.
இந்த ஆராய்ச்சியை மேற்கொண்டவர்கள் மூவர குழு. ஒருவர் ஈரானிய பேராசிரியர் மற்ற இருவரும் யார்க்‌ஷயரிலுள்ள ஷெஃப்ஃபீல்ட் ஹலாம் பல்கலைக்கழகத்தைச் சேர்ந்த தமிழ் மாணவர்கள். இவர்களின் ஆராய்ச்சிப்படி, தமிழ் பிராமணர்கள் தமிழ் மொழியின் சிறப்பு எழுத்தான ‘ழ’வை சரியாக உச்சரிக்கின்றனர். மற்ற தமிழர்களில் பலர் ழ என்பதை ல என்றும் ள் என்றும் தவறாகவே உச்சரிக்கின்றனர் என்கிறார்கள் இவர்கள். ஜனவரி 29 ம் தேதி நடைபெற்ற சர்வதேச இந்தோனேஷிய சமூக அறிவியல் மாநாட்டில் இந்த மூவர் குழு சமர்பித்த ஆராய்ச்சி சிறப்பானதாக தேர்ந்தெடுக்கப்பட்டு விருது பெற்றது.
இந்த ஆராய்ச்சிக்காக, பங்கேற்பாளர்கள் தமிழ்நாட்டிலிருந்து வரவழைப்பட்டு இரு குழுக்களாக பிரிக்கப்பட்டார்கள். முதல் குழுவைச் சேர்ந்தவர்கள் முழுவதும் தமிழ் பிராமணர்கள் இரண்டாம் குழுவினர் பிராமணர் அல்லாதவர் (இந்துக்கள், முஸ்லிம்கள், கிருத்துவர்கள், இறை நம்பிக்கை இல்லாதவர்கள்).
தமிழ் மொழியை இவர்கள் எப்படி உள்வாங்கி உச்சரிக்கிறார்கள் என்பதை சில பரிசோதனைகள் மூலம் கேட்டும், எழுத்துப் பரிசோதனைகள மூலமும் பரீட்சித்தார்கள். முப்பது ரோமன் ஆங்கில எழுத்துருக்களை தந்து மொழியாக்கம் செய்யச் சொன்னார்கள்.
சென்னையை சேர்ந்த ஆராய்ச்சியாளர் ராஜ் ராமசந்திரன் கூறுகையில், ‘ இந்தப் பரிசோதனையில் போது இந்த இரண்டு குழுவினரிடையே சில வித்யாசங்கள் இருந்தன. பிராமணர்கள் ரோமன் எழுத்துருவில் உள்ளவற்றை தமிழில் சரியான வார்த்தைகளை பயன்படுத்தினார்கள். உதாரணத்திற்கு ழ என்னும் உச்சரிப்பை மிக சரியாக பிரயோகித்தவர்கள் அவர்கள் மட்டும் தான். மற்றவர்கள் ல எனவும் ள எனவும் கூறினார்கள். தவிர பிராமணர்கள் கொடுக்கப்பட்ட அத்தனை வார்த்தைகளையும் அழுத்தம் திருத்தமாகவும் தெளிவாகவும் அந்த வார்த்தையின் தன்மை எப்படி இருக்க வேண்டுமோ அப்படியே பேசினார்கள் என்றும் கூறினார் ராஜ்.
மற்ற பங்களிப்பாளர்கள் இரண்டு மொழிகளின் கலவையாக பல வார்த்தைகளை உச்சரித்தனர். பிராமணர்களைப் பொருத்தவரை வெகு சில சம்ஸ்கிருதம் கலந்த உச்சரிப்பு அவர்களுக்கும் இருந்தது. ஆனால் அவை அதிகமாக இல்லை என்றார்.
தென்காசியைச் சேர்ந்த ஆஷிக் அலி எனும் ஆராய்ச்சி மாணவர் கூறுகையில், ‘பிராமணர்கள் ப்ரபா என்னும் சொல்லை உச்சரிக்கும் போது எளிதாக அதன் உச்சரிப்பு எப்படி இருக்க வேண்டுமோ அதே போலவே உச்சரித்தனர். ஆனால் தமிழில் அது ‘பிரா’ என்ற உச்சரிப்பு நிலவுகிறது.
இந்த ஆராய்ச்சியில் பிராமணத் தமிழ் பேச்சு வழக்கில் உள்ளவற்றையும் எழுத்துருவுக்கும் உள்ள ஒற்றுமைகளையும் கருத்தில் கொண்டது. துல்லியமாக எழுத்தில் உள்ளவற்றை உச்சரிப்பில் கொண்டு வருவதே சுத்தமாகப் பேசும் திறன் என்று கூறினார்கள் இந்த ஆராய்ச்சியாளர்கள். பிராமணத் தமிழைப் பொருத்தவரையில் துல்லியமாக தமிழ் எழுத்துக்களை எவ்வித கலப்புமில்லாமல் பேசுகிறார்கள். பிராமணர்கள் இயல்பாகவே இப்படி எவ்வித கலப்புமின்றி பேசுவது வழக்கம்தான்.
இறுதியாக இந்த ஆராய்ச்சியின் முடிவில், பிராமணர்கள் பேசும் தமிழ் உச்சரிப்புத்தான் சுத்தமானது மிகச் சரியானது என்றும் அது மென்பொருள் மற்றும் தொழில்நுட்ப வளர்ச்சிக்கு உதவும் என்றார்கள்."
மேலே குறிப்பிட்டது என் சொந்தக் கருத்து அல்ல. ஒரு ஆராய்ச்சியின் முடிவு.
ஆனால்பிராமணர்கள் தமிழர்களே இல்லை என்று சொல்லிக் கொண்டு ஒரு கூட்டம் அலைகிறது. என்ன வென்று சொல்ல? தமிழ்நாட்டின் தலையெழுத்தா? அல்லது பிராமணர்களின் தலையெழுத்தா?

Once I happen to meet a foreigner who has travelled widely in India who asked me why kissing in public is prohibited in India. I told him that it is a part of our culture. Then the next question that he shot at me was how while KISSING IN PUBLIC IS PROHIBITED, PISSING IN PUBLIC IS PERMITTED. HE WANTED TO KNOW WHETHER IT WAS ALSO A PART OF OUR CULTURE. I was caught in the wrong foot and I had to say that pissing in Public is an offence in this country also. He next asked me why then while action is taken against public kissing, no such action is in evidence against pissing anywhere in this country. I couldn't say poverty and illiteracy are the reasons, for fear of being quipped that in that case whether if poor and illiterate people indulge in kissing in public, will they be dealt with leniently?
We have to learn a lot from the westerners with regard to provision of rest rooms and their maintenance. I used to feel that such a basic necessity is ignored in toto in our country. We have to change our mind set. Long distance travels become travails in our country particularly for kids and senior citizens, more so for ladies.
On one occasion, I had a different experience in US. That was when I went to the Golden Gate in San Francisco, where I FELT AT HOME WHEN I SAW A PUBLIC TOILET VERY POORLY MAINTAINED MUCH LIKE OUR OWN PUBLIC CONVENIENCES, AND THAT GAVE ME A SORT OF A VICARIOUS PLEASURE!

Did you know? - In the wild west days, the white man was pissing all over himself... LOL !! our people are not doing that..

if any silly white man had come to me & said this - I would have told him bluntly - pack up your crap & f*** off from my country.

LOL !!

Sorry Mr Jaykay,
That should not be our attitude. We have to correct ourselves. As O Henry said "while copying the vices of the west, we retain our own". In matters of publc hygiene, we have to go a long way. Definitely we have to learn from the West. There is nothing derogatory about it. I am not suggesting that we should copy all that is part of their culture, but we should take the best from the west and this public hygiene is one such thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back