• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Retirement Communities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Retirement communities are God gifted for those requiring assisted or semi assisted living with no dependable dependents!

For the rest who are hale & healthy it will depend on the type of person you are!

If you are gregarious and seek company it may be boring!

On the other hand, if you are a loner and you want to shut yourself in TV & Newspaper only or interact with elders of your age, such type of community homes will fit your nature!

hi

Coimbatore is a nice place where we can listen to 'respectful' Tamil and climate is far better than Sing. Chennai.

i agreed...besides my native place is coimbatore...even though i brought up in palakkad....i prefer coimbatore...

i heard a lot retirement communities in vadavalli and towards marudamalai road...nice siruvani water....

nice weather... may be little costlier than chennai.....nice transport connectivity by train/flight....nice people...

nice temples around coimbatore...for some change ooty is closer to coimbatore....

Last edited:
hi

Coimbatore is a nice place where we can listen to 'respectful' Tamil and climate is far better than Sing. Chennai.

i agreed...besides my native place is coimbatore...even though i brought up in palakkad....i prefer coimbatore...

i heard a lot retirement communities in vadavalli and towards marudamalai road...nice siruvani water....

nice weather... may be little costlier than chennai.....nice transport connectivity by train/flight....nice people...

nice temples around coimbatore...for some change ooty is closer to coimbatore....
When I was looking for a retirement community, Coimbatore was much cheaper than Chennai. The real estate cost is about 70% of comparable Chennai price. Some of the vegetable prices were also cheaper.

I agree with Krishji, and Vgeneji comments.
But I also like Vaagmiji's pov.
For me coming from USA Chennai, Coimbatore, or any part of India is foreign. And for my child it is too far. I do not know we will fit in these communities anymore.

When I was looking for a retirement community, Coimbatore was much cheaper than Chennai. The real estate cost is about 70% of comparable Chennai price. Some of the vegetable prices were also cheaper.

I agree with Krishji, and Vgeneji comments.
But I also like Vaagmiji's pov.
For me coming from USA Chennai, Coimbatore, or any part of India is foreign. And for my child it is too far. I do not know we will fit in these communities anymore.
Fitting into retirement communities in south india for those who have been abroad for a long time can be a matter of concern. same for others who have been in north and other parts of india.We have changed too much for us to go anywhere near south india.we cannot live out our past again.

As a matter of experience ,one can try it out for a month or so in holiday season.even for that ,these communities have to be in heart of town and easily reachable by air/rail and car. Having done some research on chennai,coimbotore and bangalore for such places, and thinking whether to add this type of real estate to my portfolio,I have desisted so far. It does not suit my thinking that I should consider myself as a helpless individual looking for assisted living option. I would rather breathe free and croak if inevitable in a delhi slum where I can find some good humans and who can give me some help.

This thread is basically to give information about Retirement Communities.

Once I take up residence there, I may be able to convince some of the residents to join this forum and post replies to the posts of other members.

Till such time I continue to provide information.

Now the question is what sort of people are interested in Retirement communities and which group is interested.

Most of the retirement communities in and around Coimbatore were started with the NRI children in mind. They were targeted at parents who are not able to live with their children abroad because of various reasons.

Even today the vast majority of the people living in these communities belong to this category. This is especially true of the older ones and ones which are exclusively Brahmin.

But there has been a sea change in the attitude of elderly people. Now a number of people who have children living in India are taking accommodation in these communities.

We were talking to people who live in these communities and also people who had come to test these places before deciding.

The most surprising thing was the fact that a number of people were local from Coimbatore and surroundings. Many of them were staying independently with children staying in Tamil Nadu. Almost all the people whom we met were from Tamil Nadu. A number of them from Chennai.

The reasons attributed for shifting to the Retirement Community were

1. Almost every one wanted their wives to retire from Household work. Many spoke about how it is time that we thought about Housewives also retiring. This is the main reason for our going to the Retirement Community. I have seen my mother working in the kitchen almost till her death. Though she hardly did anything in the kitchen she was still there. She felt guilty not working in the kitchen.

2. The stress and strain of living independently/living with the children.

Almost all these people had the support of the children in this idea of shifting. In some cases it was the children's idea that the mother should also retire.

One of the main reasons for living in a retirement community is the idea of the Wives retiring from work.

The majority of the people with whom we interacted were not Brahmins. There is a lot of interest in these communities from people who belong to all castes.

Last edited:
This thread is basically to give information about Retirement Communities.

Once I take up residence there, I may be able to convince some of the residents to join this forum and post replies to the posts of other members.

Till such time I continue to provide information.

Now the question is what sort of people are interested in Retirement communities and which group is interested.

Most of the retirement communities in and around Coimbatore were started with the NRI children in mind. They were targeted at parents who are not able to live with their children abroad because of various reasons.

Even today the vast majority of the people living in these communities belong to this category. This is especially true of the older ones and ones which are exclusively Brahmin.

But there has been a sea change in the attitude of elderly people. Now a number of people who have children living in India are taking accommodation in these communities.

We were talking to people who live in these communities and also people who had come to test these places before deciding.

The most surprising thing was the fact that a number of people were local from Coimbatore and surroundings. Many of them were staying independently with children staying in Tamil Nadu. Almost all the people whom we met were from Tamil Nadu. A number of them from Chennai.

The reasons attributed for shifting to the Retirement Community were

1. Almost every one wanted their wives to retire from Household work. Many spoke about how it is time that we thought about Housewives also retiring. This is the main reason for our going to the Retirement Community. I have seen my mother working in the kitchen almost till her death. Though she hardly did anything in the kitchen she was still there. She felt guilty not working in the kitchen.

2. The stress and strain of living independently/living with the children.

Almost all these people had the support of the children in this idea of shifting. In some cases it was the children's idea that the mother should also retire.

One of the main reasons for living in a retirement community is the idea of the Wives retiring from work.

The majority of the people with whom we interacted were not Brahmins. There is a lot of interest in these communities from people who belong to all castes.

Dear Shri Iniyan,

My wife and I were on the look-out for an 'old age home' (OAH) about 10 or 15 years back and at that time the "Vanaprastha" OAH was coming up in Vadavalli, Coimbatore and the promoter, Shri Ramaswamy was known to me through my association with Dhanalaxmi Bank of which he was at one time Director. We visited the place and found all the physical environment quite above par. Yet, after visiting a few more OAHs and some cool deliberation back in our home, we rejected the plan of moving into any retirement home, for the following reasons:

1. Though the OAHs have very high-sounding names like Vanaprastha, Dhyanaprastha, etc., the members or inmates do not generally have any inclination to be less materialistic and one of the main things of conversation is how rich each one is, how well-off their kids are abroad, how highly connected each one is, etc., etc. Hence ordinary people with nothing much to boast off become the "Shudras" in this OAH community and they are not even listened to by the OAH's servants in case something is to be purchased from the market which is usually far away and no auto or other transport facility is available.

2. There is an overdose of religion in the daily life but more and more, the inmates have to fall in line with the religious inclinations and preferences of a certain vocal majority. In the Vanaprastha OAH, at the time of our visit, the fashion was to show complete adherence to one Swami Dayananda Saraswathi somewhere around that place and to participate in all the functions, celebrations, etc., in that Swamiji's Ashram. (Conveyance was provided both by the OAH and the Ashram to take the people but return had to be in OAH's vehicle only!

3. The eating room timings are usually very strict and if you are somewhat late, nothing would be available even if you give advance information about your inability to come in time. But a few of the residents who were "more equal" could manage to have their writ run.

4. Medical facilities were not very dependable. The OAH has its doctor, coming for a few hours on alternate days or so and he was reportedly having links and kick-back arrangements with one or two hospitals in the town, far away. If due to any reason you had to go to some other doctor, and through him to some hospital other than those in the OAH's doctor's favourite list, then you are practically all alone; the OAH administration will be least responsive to your needs for conveyance, etc.

All in all, we both felt that it would be unwise to leave our present colony in which we have lived for > 20 years and end up in something very akin to a Gulag especially when we could not boast of high connections or extremely well-placed children rolling in wealth abroad, and so on.

I feel that people thinking of retirement communities should think twice, about the OAH taking care of all the hassles like bill payment etc., also; instead of time spent in Electricity, water, etc., offices, one will have to queue up in front of the OAH's office, that too twise - once for giving the bill and money, and the second to get the paid bill - that's all.

Last edited:
Dear Shri Iniyan,

My wife and I were on the look-out for an 'old age home' (OAH) about 10 or 15 years back and at that time the "Vanaprastha" OAH was coming up in Vadavalli, Coimbatore and the promoter, Shri Ramaswamy was known to me through my association with Dhanalaxmi Bank of which he was at one time Director. We visited the place and found all the physical environment quite above par. Yet, after some cool deliberation back in our home, we rejected the plan for the following reasons:

1. Though the OAHs have very high-sounding names like Vanaprastha, Dhyanaprastha, etc., the members or inmates do not generally have any inclination to be less materialistic and one of the main things of conversation is how rich each one is, how well-off their kids are abroad, how highly connected each one is, etc., etc. Hence ordinary people with nothing much to boast off become the "Shudras" in this OAH community and they are not even listened to by the OAH's servants in case something is to be purchased from the market which is usually far away and no auto or other transport facility is available.

2. There is an overdose of religion in the daily life but more and more, the inmates have to fall in line with the religious inclinations and preferences of a certain vocal majority. In the Vanaprastha OAH, at the time of our visit, the fashion was to show complete adherence to one Swami Dayananda Saraswathi somewhere around that place and to participate in all the functions, celebrations, etc., in that Swamiji's Ashram. (Conveyance was provided both by the OAH and the Ashram to take the people but return had to be in OAH's vehicle only!

3. The eating room timings are usually very strict and if you are somewhat late, nothing would be available even if you give advance information about your inability to come in time. But a few of the residents who were "more equal" could manage to have their writ run.

4. Medical facilities were not very dependable. The OAH has its doctor, coming for a few hours on alternate days or so and he was reportedly having links and kick-back arrangements with one or two hospitals in the town, far away. If due to any reason you had to go to some other doctor, and through him to some hospital other than those in the OAH's doctor's favourite list, then you are practically all alone; the OAH administration will be least responsive to your needs for conveyance, etc.

All in all, we both felt that it would be unwise to leave our present colony in which we have lived for > 20 years and end up in something very akin to a Gulag especially when we could not boast of high connections or extremely well-placed children rolling in wealth abroad, and so on.

I feel that people thinking of retirement communities should think twice, about the OAH taking care of all the hassles like bill payment etc., also; instead of time spent in Electricity, water, etc., offices, one will have to queue up in front of the OAH's office, that too twise - once for giving the bill and money, and the second to get the paid bill - that's all.

Thank You, sangom for your response.

Your impressions are based on your visit to Vanaprastha. We did not visit that place for the reasons that you mentioned. My posts are based on our visits and stay in other places. Many of them are not Brahmin specific. In fact most of the people I met in these communities are not Brahmins.

It is not correct to condemn all the Retirement Communities just because the Brahmins of Vanaprastha.

No one should decide on this without actually spending some time living in the retirement community. All the communities encourage that. We spent about a month in all.

Last edited:
Dear RR,

I can understand the sentiments. I have labeled it as malayali apartheid. I have come across this in many Tamils who are all otherwise normal persons. I am a Tamil who knew nothing about Kerala and Malayalis until my college days. I had the opportunity to spend a few years in Kerala as a part of my profession and I have fallen in love with that state. From a distance we have all sorts of negative images about people. Mallus are a very resourceful people. Though I am a Tamil, I would say with confidence that a malayali poet, a malayali intellectual, a malayali politician, a malayali common man is far far better in calibre than a Tamil poet, a Tamil intellectual, a Tamil politician, a Tamil common man. If you have ever lived in Kerala you would know what I mean. My view is not out of any special fancy. It is just the fact. Kerala is really God's own country and the people are God's own people. That is perhaps why Bharati said "chera nannaattilam penkaludane" forgetting all the penkal(did he think they were all rakshasis?) in Tamilnadu.

Yeah! while kerala temples are visited by only the pot bellied maamas, the Tamilnadu temples are all visited by muscular, lean and mean, tall and handsome maamas, wearing three piece suits. LOL.

And yes. the "ingo" suffix of respect is added by coimbatorians to every word without really meaning anything. Even when they say they will beat you they say "adichchiruvenungo". In Chennai it is "mavane konnuruven". Down south in my place no words are spoken.... you hear just sark sark and it will be blood all over. LOL.

Agree with you. My observation too.

It is not correct to condemn all the Retirement Communities just because the Brahmins of Vanaprastha.

No one should decide on this without actually spending some time living in the retirement community. All the communities encourage that. We spent about a month in all.

I think that is the proper way to evaluate before deciding. Good post.

Dear Shri Iniyan,

My wife and I were on the look-out for an 'old age home' (OAH) about 10 or 15 years back and at that time the "Vanaprastha" OAH was coming up in Vadavalli, Coimbatore and the promoter, Shri Ramaswamy was known to me through my association with Dhanalaxmi Bank of which he was at one time Director. We visited the place and found all the physical environment quite above par. Yet, after some cool deliberation back in our home, we rejected the plan for the following reasons:

the more one investigates about these communities,the more unsavoury things emerge.I know off a very well off couple who joined the pondicherry ashram at mid age and after a few months quit as they could not put with the discrimination against indians and the way the indians were maltreated vis a vis foreigners. In any community ,however noble its intention gets governed by an elitist few who would push their own agenda and rules and would look for privileged service at the expense of others.this happens in all group housing societies also.if it happens in retirement homes it is not a surprise. here you become captive of the elitist few and lose whatever you expected to get in the first place- a peaceful place where your day to day hassles are taken care of . you end up with a lot of unanticipated problem which makes you turn back on the proposition. you ,at the end of it all have a stuck up investment and bad taste. .

Last edited:
In any community ,however noble its intention gets governed by an elitist few who would push their own agenda and rules and would look for privileged service at the expense of others.this happens in all group housing societies also.if it happens in retirement homes it is not a surprise. here you become captive of the elitist few and lose whatever you expected to get in the first place- a peaceful place where your day to day hassles are taken care of . you end up with a lot of unanticipated problem which makes you turn back on the proposition. you ,at the end of it all have a stuck up investment and bad taste. .

Dear Krishji,

As shared by you OAH are no different from group housing societies or Condominium associations for the high rises where the society members (who are duly elected) call the shots! You have called them as elitist..But what is the alternative...Formation of a Governing council is a must..May be Governance standards have to be of the highest standards..A strong code of business conduct and ethics which are morally binding on the members and administrators should be mandatory and followed in principle....

There is a misunderstanding about how these retirement Communities are run. A retirement community may be situated in 10 or 25 acres of land. The buildings constructed will occupy only a small portion. May be about 2 to 3 acres maximum. What is sold/leased/rented is only a part of the construction. The vast portion of the construction is towards the canteen and other facilities. Then gardens, roads etc.

The Retirement Community is run by a corporate or a trust. The residents form an association and elect their governing committee. But this association has no real power as they do not own the common facilities. Nor do they employ any one. They interact with the management for improving the facilities. They help in other work also.

The canteen and all other common facilities are owned by the trust or the corporate who runs the community. The security staff and the all other staff are employed by them. A leave license agreement is entered into with the owners/tenants which lays down the common facilities.

Factors to be taken into account before taking a decision.

1. Capital Cost:

There are three different ways of joining the retirement Communities.

a. Long term lease: This is the most common. It could be a twenty years lease (Brindavan) or a Life long lease (Dignity foundation). You get back the deposit at
the end of the lease period. But some of the communities deduct an amount at the time of the return of deposit.

You have to calculate the opportunity cost of the deposit. For example a deposit of Rs. 20 Lakhs works out to Rs. 2,00,000 per year (assuming a return of 10% per annum). Add to this the non-refundable portion of the deposit (if any). If the non-refundable portion is Rs. 3,00,000 It works out to Rs. 15,000 per annum. So the total cost is Rs. 2,15,000 per annum.

The opportunity cost would also depend on your capacity to invest well. If you are capable of getting a return of more than 10% the opportunity cost would be higher.

b. Rental basis: Some communities offer accommodation on Rental basis. In the above example the cost works out to Rs. 18,000 per month. So if the rent is less than Rs. 18,000 (the opportunity cost), it would be better to go for rental accommodation.

c. Purchase: This is now being offered. I have chosen to buy my accommodation. But beware that as an investment this is a dud. I can not imagine sizable appreciation in the property value either short term or long term. And again this is an investment which is difficult to convert to cash. Selling these properties is difficult to say the least. I was offered resale of accommodation in one or two communities when I was there.

I recall an incident. A couple had come to see the accommodation with their son. Since I was staying there I was introduced to them by the managemnt. The son was very keen to buy the property for the parents. The wife was also keen. The father was reluctant. He said "It is like throwing money down a well." Of course they did buy later. That was because the son paid for it.

The children will not find it easy to convert this property to cash when they inherit it. Of course they can rent it out to others.

All the communities do not offer all the three options. Many of them especially the older ones have only the option of taking it on long lease.

I will write about Running Cost like Food, maintenance and housekeeping in my next post.

Please post your queries regarding capital Cost.

1. Capital Cost:

There are three different ways of joining the retirement Communities.

a. Long term lease: This is the most common. It could be a twenty years lease (Brindavan) or a Life long lease (Dignity foundation). You get back the deposit at
the end of the lease period. But some of the communities deduct an amount at the time of the return of deposit.

You have to calculate the opportunity cost of the deposit. For example a deposit of Rs. 20 Lakhs works out to Rs. 2,00,000 per year (assuming a return of 10% per annum). Add to this the non-refundable portion of the deposit (if any). If the non-refundable portion is Rs. 3,00,000 It works out to Rs. 15,000 per annum. So the total cost is Rs. 2,15,000 per annum.

The opportunity cost would also depend on your capacity to invest well. If you are capable of getting a return of more than 10% the opportunity cost would be higher.

b. Rental basis: Some communities offer accommodation on Rental basis. In the above example the cost works out to Rs. 18,000 per month. So if the rent is less than Rs. 18,000 (the opportunity cost), it would be better to go for rental accommodation.

c. Purchase: This is now being offered. I have chosen to buy my accommodation. But beware that as an investment this is a dud. I can not imagine sizable appreciation in the property value either short term or long term. And again this is an investment which is difficult to convert to cash. Selling these properties is difficult to say the least. I was offered resale of accommodation in one or two communities when I was there.

I recall an incident. A couple had come to see the accommodation with their son. Since I was staying there I was introduced to them by the managemnt. The son was very keen to buy the property for the parents. The wife was also keen. The father was reluctant. He said "It is like throwing money down a well." Of course they did buy later. That was because the son paid for it.

The children will not find it easy to convert this property to cash when they inherit it. Of course they can rent it out to others.

All the communities do not offer all the three options. Many of them especially the older ones have only the option of taking it on long lease.

I will write about Running Cost like Food, maintenance and housekeeping in my next post.

Please post your queries regarding capital Cost.
hi nachi sir,

thank u so much for detail information....very useful for present/next generations...BUT IDEALISM IS DIFFERENT FROM REALISM...

Capital Cost:

Talking about Capital Cost, there are other costs associated with Purchase.

Though the accommodation is sold furnished many do not find the furnishing sufficient. So they spend money on furnishing the accommodation. These could be done by the contractors of the Retirement community or some one of your choice.

I was told by one of the people in a community that he had brought his own interior Decorator from Chennai to do work. He was showing off his accommodation.

I have also modified my accommodation and provided additional furnishing.

All these could add up to a sizable amount.

Leased accommodation comes fully furnished and so you avoid all these costs. Only AC may have to be provided at additional cost.

Rental accommodation also comes fully furnished and so you avoid all these. In addition if you rent it from an older occupant/owner you may get it well furnished.

.....snipped....
I recall an incident. A couple had come to see the accommodation with their son. Since I was staying there I was introduced to them by the management. The son was very keen to buy the property for the parents. The wife was also keen. The father was reluctant. He said "It is like throwing money down a well." Of course they did buy later. That was because the son paid for it.

"The children will not find it easy to convert this property to cash"....This is a very valid point to consider. Most of the time, sons living abroad may find it easier to chip down the money to buy the accommodation, but after the elders pass away, selling it and repatriating the money abroad will prove to be tough, to put it mildly. Worst part is the time investment.

Last edited:
hi nachi sir,

thank u so much for detail information....very useful for present/next generations...BUT IDEALISM IS DIFFERENT FROM REALISM...

Thank You, tbs

In my case it is sort of Dream Come True. We have always dreamt of living a cottage in a village near a river. Having a small garden of our own. And a temple nearby. This residential community comes very close to our dreams.

In fact the retirement Communities are selling Dreams.

Cottage, garden, mountains/hills nearby, greenery, temple nearby or temple inside the complex.

These are the dreams of most of us. Almost all the people I met were singing the praise of the environment.

Unfortunately some of us are so taken in by the Urban Utopia that they have forgotten to dream.

You may ask why I did not go to an actual village on the banks of Kaveri. We would have loved to. But Kaveri has almost dried out. The places are really hot. And
most important is that we will not be accepted by the local Brahmins. In a village life that is important. But Tamil Brahmins do not accept any one who does not conform. Sangom had written about the behavior of the Brahmins in one of the Retirement communities.

So this is Idealism.

One of the Retirement communities has been modeled after an Agraharam. It is for Brahmins only. It has street houses like real Agraharam. You have a residential Vadhyar also. These are their USP. Unique Selling Propositions. This would be ideal for many Brahmins.

But I think it is basically Kerala Brahmin oriented and Dayanand Saraswathi is their patron saint. We did not see the place as We were not interested in these exclusive Brahmin only Retirement communities.

I do not mention the name of any retirement community as I do not want to be accused of promoting any.

If you want to know the name of any particular community, please send me a private message.

2. Running Cost:

This is the cost of food, maintenance and housekeeping.

The cost of the food varies from community to community. Cost of daily food could be anything between Rs.100 to Rs. 250 per day per person. That is between
Rs. 3000 to Rs. 7500 per month per person.

Maintenance and housekeeping could cost between Rs. 1000 to Rs. 5000 per month. This is not per person, but per accommodation.

In addition to these telephone and Internet are charged separately on actuals.

Nursing and all other expenditure billed separately.

These costs have to considered carefully before making a final decision. There is a famous retirement community near Chennai which has become famous/notorious for their exorbitant charges. As one resident put it நின்னா சார்ஜ், உற்காந்தா சார்ஜ். It is a rip off.

Go into the details of all these charges before taking a decision.

If the food charges are low, the food may not be good. The food is bad in one of the communities. This community also runs a free old age home. So the food is kept basic and the charges are kept low.

If you want a swimming pool or a Jacuzzi expect to pay for it. Maintaining such facilities is very expensive.

Thank You, sangom for your response.

Your impressions are based on your visit to Vanaprastha. We did not visit that place for the reasons that you mentioned. My posts are based on our visits and stay in other places. Many of them are not Brahmin specific. In fact most of the people I met in these communities are not Brahmins.

Your view may be the right one. I had left out the fact that our decision not to go to any retirement home was based not ssingly on Vanaprastha alone; we had visited a few more in and around Coimbatore as also Pollachi and we had the advantage of knowing a local resident of Coimbatore who knew some people living in different OAHs and so we thus had the benefit of fuller information (at least that is what I believe) than what we could have got from mere visits of one or two days in each OAH.

That said, let me wish you and your wife a very happy, healthy, long and peaceful life in the Retirement Community which you have selected.

I have since edited my post #31 suitably and request that you may kindly make suitable changes in your reply also.

the more one investigates about these communities,the more unsavoury things emerge.I know off a very well off couple who joined the pondicherry ashram at mid age and after a few months quit as they could not put with the discrimination against indians and the way the indians were maltreated vis a vis foreigners. In any community ,however noble its intention gets governed by an elitist few who would push their own agenda and rules and would look for privileged service at the expense of others.this happens in all group housing societies also.if it happens in retirement homes it is not a surprise. here you become captive of the elitist few and lose whatever you expected to get in the first place- a peaceful place where your day to day hassles are taken care of . you end up with a lot of unanticipated problem which makes you turn back on the proposition. you ,at the end of it all have a stuck up investment and bad taste. .

Shri krish44 sir,

I have slightly changed my post #31 (which you quote) and request that you also edit your post accordingly.

Of course, during our search for a convenient OAH for ourselves, we did come across some people who had only very good things about their place of stay. But only when we tried to interact with more people, could we realize, at last, that these retirement communities are not very different from the society at large. In places reserved for particular communities, there is a definite "haves & have nots" differentiation and this is mostly based on ones financial status, connection to other rich, powerful & influential personages, and the financial affordability of their son/s and/or children. In multi-community set-ups, it is usually one community which gets preference and superimposed on to this is the other "haves & have nots" classification which thus creates many different "groups" with two strokes, figuratively!

Your view may be the right one. I had left out the fact that our decision not to go to any retirement home was based not ssingly on Vanaprastha alone; we had visited a few more in and around Coimbatore as also Pollachi and we had the advantage of knowing a local resident of Coimbatore who knew some people living in different OAHs and so we thus had the benefit of fuller information (at least that is what I believe) than what we could have got from mere visits of one or two days in each OAH.

That said, let me wish you and your wife a very happy, healthy, long and peaceful life in the Retirement Community which you have selected.

I have since edited my post #31 suitably and request that you may kindly make suitable changes in your reply also.

I am sorry. I do not know what to cancel. Please advise over P.M.

You were talking about a Gulag like atmosphere. I am talking about my dreams coming true. The comments of my nephews and nieces about the place we have selected is Serene, Very peaceful etc. Their comments were based on the photographs of the place taken by myself.

We are not talking about the same place. None of the places I visited existed 10/15 years back.

Last edited:
Sangom's post made me think. It is very obvious that my expectations and Sangom's expectations are not the same.

To enable you to choose a Retirement Community, you should be sure of your expectations. What you expect.

I can only give you our expectations which may help you understand your expectations.

We wanted

1. Noise and dust free atmosphere.

2. Far from any city/town. Preferably a rural area. The ideal distance would be about 20 to 30 Kms so that the medical facilities of the city are available. This expectation may differ from person to person. I had decided to buy a new car for going to the nearest city.

Because I intend having my own car, my expectation about transport from the Retirement Community is not high. But if you do not have a vechicle, then your expectation in this respect would be naturally different.

3. Both myself and my wife are not in the pink of health. But we do not need medical assistance often. So a resident doctor or nurse was not in our expectation.

4. We wanted good and nutritious food for which we were prepared to pay.

5. We wanted a temple nearby. But we wanted to avoid a temple within the campus. Our religion is purely personal.

6. Wanted a cosmopolitan group. But frankly this is almost impossible because the vast majority of the people who come to these communities are Brahmins.

7. I was not prepared to pay for expensive and posh facilities like Swimming pool, Club etc. In fact we wanted a not so posh a place. Not the name dropping places.

If you see the above and think, you will see how expectations are the basis of our judgement. The expectations of Sangom was different. So the very same Retirement Community could be valued differently by myself and Sangom.

So list your expectations. Prioritize them as you may not find a community which fulfills all your expectations. Visit the communities, enquire around and come to your own judgement.

thanks you nacchi for your experience/adventure/quest/search/decisioncriteria et al re looking at retirement homes.

this brief note to tell you that i enjoyed reading it. also i am now more familiar with these than before. who knows, mrs K and self might need one, if not for the whole year, atleast for 3-4 months, to get away from the terrible canadian winter.

pray, do continue to log here your further experiences, and i sincerely wish, that you could persuade more of your fellow home-ites to chip in their share of experience.

thank you.

I was searching for a cheap (!) retirement resort for one of my distant relatives and found one very near my sweet home!

One gentleman has taken a big house for rent with a hall and four bedrooms to accommodate a few elderly couples and singles.

Charges are a refundable deposit +10,000 per person / month, for accommodation, food and laundry. Another lady is owning a

house with one bedroom (for a couple) in the ground floor and two huge halls in the first floor, converted as dormitories for gents

and ladies separately! Charges are similar. In Sing. Chennai, this is a new business - like maintaining a creche for kids!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back