• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Respect women’s autonomy

Varamahalakshmi Vrata is performed by a married woman (sumangalis) for the well being of all their family members, especially the husband, to get progeny etc. It is believed that worshipping the Goddess Varalakshmi on this day is equivalent to worshipping Ashtalakshmi– the eight goddesses of Wealth, Earth, Wisdom, Love, Fame, Peace, Contentment, and Strength.

Yes it is not practiced among Iyyangars. Other vaisnavites do observe it.

All Iyengars are vaishnavites, they may be from Andhra, Tamil Nadu or Karnataka.
But not all vaishnavites are Iyyangars.
There are Iyar Vaishnavites as well.

Vaishnavism comprises many sects and groups that differ in their interpretation of the relationship between the individual and God. The Srivaishnava sect, for example, emphasizes the doctrine of vishishtadvaita (“qualified nondualism”) of Ramanuja, according to which, although the differentiated phenomenal world is illusory (maya), it is nevertheless the medium through which devotees may gain access to God. Another group professes the dvaita (“dualism”) of the philosopher Madhva, the belief that God and the soul are separate entities and that the soul’s existence is dependent on God. The Pushtimarg sect maintains the shuddhadvaita (“pure nondualism”) doctrine of the theologian Vallabhacharya, which does not declare the phenomenal world to be an illusion. The Gaudiya sect, founded by Chaitanya, teaches achintya-bhedabheda (“inconceivable duality and nonduality”), the belief that the relation between God and the world is beyond the scope of human comprehension.

In addition to these philosophical sects, many other Vaishnava groups are scattered throughout India, often centred in local temples or shrines.

All Iyengars are vaishnavites, they may be from Andhra, Tamil Nadu or Karnataka.
But not all vaishnavites are Iyyangars.
There are Iyar Vaishnavites as well.

Vaishnavism comprises many sects and groups that differ in their interpretation of the relationship between the individual and God. The Srivaishnava sect, for example, emphasizes the doctrine of vishishtadvaita (“qualified nondualism”) of Ramanuja, according to which, although the differentiated phenomenal world is illusory (maya), it is nevertheless the medium through which devotees may gain access to God. Another group professes the dvaita (“dualism”) of the philosopher Madhva, the belief that God and the soul are separate entities and that the soul’s existence is dependent on God. The Pushtimarg sect maintains the shuddhadvaita (“pure nondualism”) doctrine of the theologian Vallabhacharya, which does not declare the phenomenal world to be an illusion. The Gaudiya sect, founded by Chaitanya, teaches achintya-bhedabheda (“inconceivable duality and nonduality”), the belief that the relation between God and the world is beyond the scope of human comprehension.

In addition to these philosophical sects, many other Vaishnava groups are scattered throughout India, often centred in local temples or shrines.
Very informative .Tks

You can see my Varalakshmi - file photo -
View attachment 10049

அம்மன் முகம்

அம்மன் on கலசம் with அலங்காரம்

View attachment 10050
This pooja was not thrust on me - My mother used to do it. Usually M in L initiate the D in L - புக்காத்து வழக்கம் carried on by மாட்டுபொண் ! In my case it is not புக்காத்து Tradition - In fact I broke the tradition took to my பொறந்தாத்து tradition Viratham is not my புக்காத்து வழக்கம் My mother initiated me into this & my மாமியார் approved with no hesitation This pooja is performed by சுமங்கலிகள் for சுபிஷ்ஷம் !

Kalasam is small metallic சொம்பு (வெங்கலம் or silver - mine silver) -மஞ்ஜள் coated குடுமி தேங்காய் fixed in the சொம்பு - குடுமி upwards - on to this அம்மன் முகம் fixed & alangaram done which takes about 6 hrs for me I start at about 8 PM on Thursday after பலகாரம் may go till mid night ! பட்ணி till the pooja is over on Friday!

Both my DIL do this pooja Traditionally DIL parents give them சொம்பு & அம்மன் முகம் (silver) as ஆடி சீர் & you star the viratham immediately after marraige My 2DIL is glued to traditional - asked me to initiate her to this விரதம் immediately after marriage . My 1DIL had no idea & I never suggest this to her - When she heard from DIL2 about her visit to Madurai for initiation, she (1DIL) phoned me up said ,she also wants take up this - I said fine Please come.

Again Break away from the tradition "immediately after Marriage" - by me. She was in US then!

The pooja is performed Donning மடிசார் - 1DIL landed in Madurai with out her 9 yds Koorai! She was terribly embarrassed and was rushing to Haji Moosa to buy one - Take it easy you can do the pooja in 6 yds saree I encouragingly ! ( Tradition broken again) After this embarrassment she is religiously in 9yds in all family function (Religious)

வைஸ்யா do this - why not வைஷ்ணவா? My ஐயங்கார் friends daughter used help me - packing பிரசாதம் - தாம்பூலம் குடுக்கறது till she left Madurai after her marriage . They can also do this - Jihadis may issue Fatwa!
Very interesting post.

Feel Varalakshmi Fever not Corona

No வெள்ளி பூஜை சாமான் All in bank lockers - New saree for Varalakshmi arriving on 30th - Confirmed delivery by Pothy's - Raman Sastri - Madurai - also confirmed to conduct pooja by video conference. Flowers வாழ கன்னு மஞ்ஜ கெத்து all taken care of - No தாழம்பூ - யானை விலை குதிரை விலை - தாழாம்பூர்ல பூஜை தாழம்பூ இல்ல. (DLF location - Thazambur)

Blue print for making கலசம் started !

Teaser photo

IMG_20200729_120145.jpg

Varalakshmi raavee ma intike! - women do this viratham to bring Varalakshmi home and suggestions to send her out elsewhere looks strange specially when that comes from the owner of the home (thread) - Respect women's autonomy!

Varalakshmi raavee ma intike! - women do this viratham to bring Varalakshmi home and suggestions to send her out elsewhere looks strange specially when that comes from the owner of the home (thread) - Respect women's autonomy!

No, I am not asking to go elsewhere.
I think it gets hidden in the wrong thread, and in the wrong section.
I thought by having its own thread there will be more readership. This heading suggests a non-conformist topic.

V.V. is basically religious. But I am nonconformist & feel it is more than that - A challenge to my artistic skills & creativity - My V was with me when I broke convention earlier - you saw it in my earlier post

Assembling Varalakshmi is no simple
Lego block skills. My V should visit my home as I See her in my mind - I have to give her the shape accordingly - really a challenge to my skills!

On the pooja day I prepare minimum 5 நிவேதனம் to expected good standards of taste & quality with no possibility of proof the pudding test before offering to Varalakshmi!

Toouch wood So far I had faced the challenge to my skills successfully

The nonconformist team (I & Varalakshmi) confirm to stay in nonconformist thread - Respect women's autonomy!

Varalakshmi is there in Conformist thread as well! She cannot be caged in one thread!

Last edited:
While my children are vaishnavite brahmins my sambandhis are iyers.I have left it to them to perform whatever rituals / pujas they believe in.
None I suppose kept any vrat . I was discreet enough not to enquire since I believe in hands off attitude on anything religious .
All of them are busy with their career with no interest remotely connected with vratham.However thay are foodies waiting for home made pizzas and A2B swaeets

Why I am hooked to VV. She is with me not only in my happy but also in my sorrow moment!

My 1st grand daughter arrived while I was singing Varalakshmi rave ma intiki - Inviting her to my home!

My Sister in L Dr Collen Srinivas departed on VV pooja day.

My son had decided to name her Meenakshi - his மண் வாசனை (Madurai) & Paati sentiment (my mother's name - Meenakshi ) asked my opinion - I suggested Some option retaining Meenakshi .

Varalakshmi ( 1st. ) Meenakshi ( middle ) Nathan (Surname)

They felt the name is crowded with gods ! Get me some thing different ! OK try this - You are Vishak because of your birth star on the same logic - her birthstar is Dhanishta . It was OK with parents! Her name in birth certificate is

Dhanishta Meenakshi Nathan.

Interestingly while performing புண்யாஜனம் & நாமகரணம் rituals as per tradition - when sastrigal asked for a name to be said close to baby's ears they proposed my name - Yes she is Janaki by நாமகரணம் & By Aadhar Dhanishta Meenakshi Nathan!

While condoling the death of Dr Collen Srinivasan - I recollect the sentiments of Dr TN Srinivasan " பாவம் cancerல 6மாசம் ரொம்ப கஷ்டப்பட்டுடா - சுமங்கலியா போய் சேந்துட்டா on வரலக்ஷ்மி விரதம் கொடுத்து வெச்சவ!

I always relate these sentiments to Varalakshmi Viratham,.

Varalakshmi ( 1st. ) Meenakshi ( middle ) Nathan (Surname)

They felt the name is crowded with gods. (#61)

Man proposes God disposes !

But we need the same crowd in our Pooja!

My d in l's Varalakshmi in Banglore The Meenakshi behind is an art work (Tanjore Painting) of mine I made that for grahapravem of their new house near electronic city.

0_IMG-20200731-WA0000.jpg

While my children are vaishnavite brahmins my sambandhis are iyers.I have left it to them to perform whatever rituals / pujas they believe in.
None I suppose kept any vrat . I was discreet enough not to enquire since I believe in hands off attitude on anything religious .
All of them are busy with their career with no interest remotely connected with vratham.However thay are foodies waiting for home made pizzas and A2B swaeets

Heard this story before? I remember to have posted this long ago !

Jambus best friend is an Iyengar Liberal in a sense - Kalai no bar when searching alliance for his children. His son married an Iyer girl his classmate -. reluctantly accepted on condition that marriage is to be as per Iyengar traditions after about 2 years resistance!

Girl is quite adjustable - She wanted to name her first born as Subramanian in memory of her father ! But our friend insisted that it should be only Prahald imagining the boy to chant Narayana Narayana 24×7!

Later they moved to US . During a visit on Vacation to India he suggested Samasrayanam - Poor Girl - The holiday became a nightmare! Priding himself as Swayamachary he performed the branding resulting in reations on the skin - she spent all her vacation visiting hospital.Back in US the boy developed Keloid on burnt skin to be tackled by a plastic sturgeon!

I am sure your grandson's name is not Prahalad and he will never develop Keloid! Correct?

Lol.
Are there such brshmins existing in 21 sr century

We are brahmins by accident of birth in a brahmin

family
No caste signs for display.in public or private .

Vegetarianism and love for classical music _ have been

passed on to our next generation.

At home they are veggies

Even our cook _ an oriya brahmin pre condition was that he will cook only for veg eating families

So not even omelettes home.

We have no naming disputes as my sambandi also

has same first name.

I liked the story you have posted.Thumbs up

Doing pooja guided by Raman Sastrigal from Madurai.!

He will come again today live round 11.30 AM for புனர் பூஜை.

Varalakshmi will be with us overnight - அரிசி பானை is ready for her to be lodged for the night . Tomorrow is the "Boxing Day" with sentimental "Sayanora" for her!

Nice pictures of Varalakshmi pooja festivals.
In U.S ,it generally becomes an occasion for ladies' get together joined by their family members.
Dinner parties also follow.
This year the pandemic has taken away the sheen of the Puja gaiety,
V.V,Karadayan Nonbu and then Navarathri are classic functions meant for ladies ,where they are the central players,The pujas have their origin in the Hindu Dharma.No doubt Our Dharma grants the true
autonomy to our women .

No doubt Our Dharma grants the true
autonomy to our women .(#68)

Autonomy is our birth right - Dharma behaves like a regulator - trying to fix a boundary which are archaic and arbitrary. Dharma only curbs never grants

All said and done this proves that it IS and ALWAYS WILL BE a male dominated society...no one discusses or goes to the court if a man is devoid of his poonal/smokes/drinks/eats out/consumes non veg/***** all these with or without the knowledge of family/against the customs and traditions in which he was born....but see if a women lifts a finger, it is argued in court and verdict given..

Men are afraid of society, parents in such matters, since he wants to avoid the responsibility of answering them...principle reason to control or treat his woman as a he would an animal.

Actually men need women for all reasons, but women can survive on their own.....if only they were allowed to. This is the very reason they are not allowed to. This is the general reference and not a very few gentlemen who hold women with dignity and respect which they do deserve.

.. I admire that woman for standing up for herself and not subjugating to the pressures of the so called husband of a controller.

V.V,Karadayan Nonbu and then Navarathri are classic functions meant for ladies ,where they are the central players,The pujas have their origin in the Hindu Dharma.No doubt Our Dharma grants the true
autonomy to our women .
[/QUOTE]
These have become big shows and women get played into these so called poojas and festivals because they boost their egos, and gives a sense of false self worth and of course joy and pride when they outshine some others in these shows...allows them to have fun, show case their wealth and possessions...etc...nothing more than that.There is certainly no spirit behind all these fundas. Can we imagine how men make fun of these occassions and the women behind their backs?

Latest ads

Back