• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Religious conversion of film personalities

Status
Not open for further replies.
???? Insulting?

Dear Renu,

'Kanya dhAnam' is one of the best dhAnams in the world and please remember that.

Dear Mrs RR

There are several parallel thoughts at play here.

The word Kanya Dhanam, in the modern context of cynicism and sarcasm (which is abundant in this thread itself) can come across as a property (Girl) being given away and that the receiver is being told property is 'pure' (meaning virgin so that the male is assured any child born soon after is his only!). In this context, natural question would be the unequal treatment of the boy and girl in a wedding since boy's status of virginity is not brought up even indirectly. Plus he is portrayed as the receiver of the property namely the girl dehumanizing her. Also in the modern world the rituals are done without understanding. Some girls 'given away' are verily experienced and can easily teach everyone including the boy stories about the 'birds and the bees'!

In the pre-modern times children were viewed as Lakshmi - a form of wealth and blessing (not a property). A woman who helps create a family is considered a Lakshmi herself - a blessing since she is considered the light of the future as a wife, as a daughter to elders and as mother to the children.

If Moksha is understood as a goal of life, in that context the father of the bride tells the groom that Grihastha Ashrama is a valid approach with the right Griha Lakshmi to condition oneself to achieve the knowledge in one's life.

Therefore the offering of a daughter in marriage which brings such enormous blessing to the groom and his family is considered one of the greatest acts of Dhanam (which is unfortunately translated as charity giving rise to thinking that a property is being given away for some Punyam)

My main point is that in any such forum, it is not possible to have significant discussions about any topic that requires thinking.

If someone wanted to understand the worldwide financial scandal involved in 2007-08 time frame that affected so many people in the world it would require deep focus. Since public is unable to deal with details like Credit Default Swap (CDS) etc not a single person who created a financial and hence human disaster of last decade went to prison. No one was even named to pay a price.

If we contrast this with the affair that President Clinton had, the public is able to understand it all.

The topic here started with conversion of film personalities to other religion. In my view this is not news because the film types are not disadvantaged economically and if they convert my reaction is one of indifference.

The topic about Ahimsa was thrown in somehow - not sure what relevance it has. It is actually an universal principle when understood and not exclusive domain of Hinduism though Hindus may have talked about it the most. This requires in depth understanding to have substantive discussion much like topics such as CDS in the finance industry.

Himsa is violence and can be committed by our body (hands, feet etc), by our mouth (how we hurt others) and by our thinking.
Ahimsa then would mean the exact opposite and is an ideal therefore can never be achieved by anyone just like Himsa can never be a life choice hundred percent of the time.

But equating the literal meaning of Ahimsa to the doctrine of 'Ahimsa Paramo Dharma' is sophomoric at best.

Hence segue into topics of virginity, sex etc that are easier topics to have fun discussions much like how the Clinton scandals was keeping public at large engaged.

So let us talk about virgins, sex etc to our heart's content :) Let me add LOL too - LOL

post 2
dear renuka !
i am also of the same opinion
So frankly if you ask me the best religion is NO religion at all..just be a good person and dont harm anyone and that should suffice..anyone intelligent enough will realize that there is a Higher Universal Consciousness that runs this whole universe and He is called God.
guruvayurappan

This subject of conversion has been discussed over and over in this forum in many threads and it has taken a new avatar in this thread.

Conversion has been happening over many centuries in different parts of this world.

In India, if i am right, conversion has been happening since 2000 years ago when Thomas visited India. Yet the non-hindus are only a miniscule, hardly 10%.

Why should hindus fear conversion at all? Whoever wants to convert let them get converted for whatever reasons. It is their will and wish. What do hindus lose if some 3rd person converts and leaves hinduism?

What are we trying to gain by preventing conversion? why don't we ignore and remain mute spectators to the drama!!

How does a 3rd person converting to another religion impact our life, our progress, our business? What negative effect does it have on us? After all religion is within the 4 walls of our houses. When we come out of our houses, our jobs, profession, career, hobby etc is what matters to us. Are we not interacting with members of all religions unconscious of their religious background!!

Why should we allow conversion to create such a sensation/ruckus at all!!

Why should we feel insecure when conversions happen!!

Barring a few, the rest of us who call ourselves hindus, hardly care to know the tenets of hinduism. Are we not just pretending to be hindus when we are not 100% hindus!! When out on the street we are like anyone on the street, with our own self interests etc.

As someone else mentioned in some other thread in this forum, we did not choose to be born hindus. It was imposed on us by our parents. Almost everyone of us want to play it safe by conforming to their imposition, to please the society and community around us, to avoid any controversy, whether we like hinduism or not.

Are there not more important issues that merit our attention, importance, concern!!!

post6
dear Brahmanyan sir !
well said.
Change of Religion will have no effect unless we change our life to be a good human being. "Right living" forms the basis for our spiritual search said Shri Shivpuri Baba of the Himalayas (Swami Govindananda Bharati - 1826-1963), who lived for 137 years.
guruvayurappan

post 21
dear TKS sir !
very good write up and enlighted.
1. What is this Almighty who seemingly is defined as controlling everything - it that a belief based entity only? (Remember 'God Exists' thread :) )
2. What does praying means - is that about asking for better life, better security now and in the future and asking for even more desires to be fulfilled?
3. Why should that Almighty listen to prayer and act?

The easier 'feel good approach' may be - let us have faith and let us devote ourselves fully and then life will be good.
Will it be good?
the above questions will make the persons to be honest and make him humble and good human
guruvayurappan

Does it mean that you can write anything like this, if the post ends with a 'LOL'?

1. I never knew that Mrs. RR sets the standard for what is to be written and what is not to be written in this forum. When that editing right is given to you I will keep that in mind and modify my subjects as well as language or quit writing.

2. Anyone with maturity who reads the conversation between me and Renukaji here would accept that it is a conversation between two matured individuals, who call a spade a spade without hesitation.

3. If you do not like what I write please keep away and do not read it to interfere. A LOL is just a LOL and does not get loaded with anything else when I use it. I do not know about what the LOL of you and the umpteen number of smilleies that you keep adding to your posts.

Frankly speaking the word Virgin is sort of insulting!LOL

Really..why should anyone know what is the sexual status of anyone?

Its a personal right to keep the sexual status unknown.

Last week I was watching a TV show called Choice where female applicants get to join this contest to go on a date with a male celebrity.

There was this one female who kept on saying she is a virgin non stop and she values her virginity and will only share it with Mr Right after marriage.

I was thinking "What?? If she is such a virginal creature why enter this contest"

I knew right away she will be rejected cos most self proclaimed Virgins are semi neurotic and might take revenge and go mad and scream rape even if any act is consensual.

True normal virgins dont keep bragging about their virginal status..only the neurotic or psychotic ones keep bragging!LOL

Ok now coming to your business proposal....you are talking about artificially maintaining physical virginity but what about preventing loss of mental virginity? That cant be done with a tablet!LOL

When the matter is such that only the concerned individual will know whether he/she is a true virgin or not, does it really matter for others?

Your theory that abnormal virgins only keep bragging about their virginity needs corroboration and proof. It has not been proved by any studies.

LOL. (This LOL is added deliberately to tell people that to LOL is my birthright!! LOL)

This subject of conversion has been discussed over and over in this forum in many threads and it has taken a new avatar in this thread.

Conversion has been happening over many centuries in different parts of this world.

In India, if i am right, conversion has been happening since 2000 years ago when Thomas visited India. Yet the non-hindus are only a miniscule, hardly 10%.

Why should hindus fear conversion at all? Whoever wants to convert let them get converted for whatever reasons. It is their will and wish. What do hindus lose if some 3rd person converts and leaves hinduism?

What are we trying to gain by preventing conversion? why don't we ignore and remain mute spectators to the drama!!

How does a 3rd person converting to another religion impact our life, our progress, our business? What negative effect does it have on us? After all religion is within the 4 walls of our houses. When we come out of our houses, our jobs, profession, career, hobby etc is what matters to us. Are we not interacting with members of all religions unconscious of their religious background!!

Barring a few, the rest of us who call ourselves hindus, hardly care to know the tenets of hinduism. Are we not just pretending to be hindus when we are not 100% hindus!! When out on the street we are like anyone on the street, with our own self interests etc.

As someone else mentioned in some other thread in this forum, we did not choose to be born hindus. It was imposed on us by our parents. Almost everyone of us want to play it safe by conforming to their imposition, to please the society and community around us, to avoid any controversy, whether we like hinduism or not.

Are there not more important issues that merit our attention, importance, concern!!!

1. As a "Newbie" how did you quickly figure out this subject has been discussed over and over again?
2. Are you already known to us in another avatara here ?
3. If you care to share kindly tell us if you have introduced yourselves elsewhere and share your religion too (not personal details obviously) since that will help understand your perspective better

Thanks

dear TKS sir !
most of the persons having reasonable thinking will agree with your post 32.i am following Hinduism just like a efficient car driver who does not know theory out IC engine<quote from forum member>

guruvayurappan

post 21
dear TKS sir !
very good write up and enlighted.
1. What is this Almighty who seemingly is defined as controlling everything - it that a belief based entity only? (Remember 'God Exists' thread :) )
2. What does praying means - is that about asking for better life, better security now and in the future and asking for even more desires to be fulfilled?
3. Why should that Almighty listen to prayer and act?

The easier 'feel good approach' may be - let us have faith and let us devote ourselves fully and then life will be good.
Will it be good?
the above questions will make the persons to be honest and make him humble and good human
guruvayurappan

Thank you :) .. When I saw red ink I thought moderator had some comments LOL (Sri Vaagmi LOL is not copyrighted :) )

dear TKS sir !
i want to put questioner in golden letters and changed to red colour forgetting the instruction not to use red colour.
:welcome:
guruvayurappan

1. I never knew that Mrs. RR sets the standard for what is to be written and what is not to be written in this forum. When that editing right is given to you I will keep that in mind and modify my subjects as well as language or quit writing.

2. Anyone with maturity who reads the conversation between me and Renukaji here would accept that it is a conversation between two matured individuals, who call a spade a spade without hesitation.

3. If you do not like what I write please keep away and do not read it to interfere. A LOL is just a LOL and does not get loaded with anything else when I use it. I do not know about what the LOL of you and the umpteen number of smilleies that you keep adding to your posts.
Dear Vaagmi Sir,

Good advice indeed! I shall keep away from such threads.

P.S: I am not adding any smiley since you don't like it!

Meanwhile, if I remember correct, you encouraged a 'newbie' to use smileys!

dear TKS sir !
most of the persons having reasonable thinking will agree with your post 32.i am following Hinduism just like a efficient car driver who does not know theory out IC engine<quote from forum member>

guruvayurappan

Dear Sri Guruvayurappan - Unlike other fields of study our scriptures focus on life here and now and not much about after life. I know there are theology around doctrine of Karma but they can be shown as beliefs but reasonable/helpful and non-contradictory beliefs. But the doctrine itself is not simplistic as it is often used commonly or in most threads here.

The essence of teaching of Vedanta are not limited to or limited by Hindu traditions. In that sense the teaching is universal just like Newton's laws do not belong to his country or himself or his religion whatever that might be,

But Hindu religion and its tradition has embraced the concepts of Vedanta and incorporated them into our traditions. There are many other traditions that have no basis but have made their way out of superstition.

If one wants to attain all the benefits then it becomes necessary to decode the traditions to an understanding that makes sense.

For example out of fear or desire someone may go to a temple to do Archana. The person doing this may want to overload the priest by giving names of all his relatives to get the most value out so god's blessing for the money spent on Archana ticket is now optimized across his family, his brother's family and their grand children etc :)

The poor priest mutters the names and their Nakshatrams, their Gotras patiently and then seeks all the people to come forward. He does not want this one odd person with a ticket as soon as he is done with the Puja.

Then he goes and mutters something and come back after breaking the coconuts of the 'Archana sponsors'. The sponsor in his 'wisdom' of Cholesterol and saturated fat leaves the coconuts right in the temple taking the other items.

Then he is given some ash or Kunkumam which he puts on his forehead. Then he drinks the spoon of water.

The priest has used camphor specifically to show the arathi and everyone jumps all around to view that . People push their kids to get a glimpse and kid complains that all he saw was someone's bald head. Regardless the priest comes with the flame and does not follow a pattern.

Then competitive spirit of the Indian mind sets in immediately and he thrusts himself and his children so that he can touch the flame and put it in his eyes.

After that if he feels good he may put small money in the Hundi box, do a Namasakram , hang around a bit and go home.

On the way out the beggars are asking for alms and he kind of scolds and yells at them for being a pain and goes home.

This is a ritual of going to temple in many places.

If one were to analyze many of the steps involved each of them has deep significance relating back to profound teaching.

Over time it is beneficial to know what this is all about and why. The value is lost otherwise...

Regards

Dear Vaagmi Sir,

Good advice indeed! I shall keep away from such threads.

P.S: I am not adding any smiley since you don't like it!

Meanwhile, if I remember correct, you encouraged a 'newbie' to use smileys!

Dear Mrs RR

There is no need to keep away from thread, only that you may not want to respond to some posts if it does not suit your interests.
No need to stop the smiley either - it is your birthright like LOL is right of Sri Vaagmi and all of us LoL

Sometimes due to our upbringing regardless of our age we may have a negative and parental reaction to a content.
As a grown up we can talk about anything since none of these topics can affect our state of knowledge where it matters.

My suggestion is to continue reading and responding as you see fit while ignoring posts that is not to your taste

Your theory that abnormal virgins only keep bragging about their virginity needs corroboration and proof. It has not been proved by any studies.

Ok let me share with you a few unusual true stories:

Once I was posted in a semi rural area and a young girl came to see me..she said "Doc I am a virgin but I want you to certify me as a virgin and I would like to give that certificate to my future husband"

I was what??? Why do you need a virginity certificate when you said you are a virgin.

Then she related this story ..she said one night she was sleeping and the next morning she saw a black cat leave the room.

So I said..what had that got to do with virginity?

She said there is some black magic where a man can change into a cat and come into the room at night..rape the girl by turning into a man and then become a cat again and leave the next morning.But she insisted that she is still a virgin!

I told her "if you feel you have been raped by a cat man..first you lodge a police report and then we need to catch that cat and arrest the cat and then once its a medico legal case only then I can check you"

Ok next case..once a mother brought her daughter to see me for stomach pain..the girl was unmarried and actually going into labour..so I told her and her mother that she is going into labour any moment and needs to be transferred to the main hospital.

Then the girl said she is still a virgin and has no idea how the baby came into her.

Then the mother herself said her daughter is a virgin and how did the baby get in.

For a while I was thinking "Is immaculate conception possible!LOL"

Then I called the ambulance and sent the pregnant virgin to the main hospital.

So you see I have seen many self proclaimed virgins of the weird kind!

Once I was posted in a semi rural area and a young girl came to see me..she said "Doc I am a virgin but I want you to certify me as a virgin and I would like to give that certificate to my future husband"

I was what??? Why do you need a virginity certificate when you said you are a virgin.

Then she related this story ..she said one night she was sleeping and the next morning she saw a black cat leave the room.

She said there is some black magic where a man can change into a cat and come into the room at night..rape the girl by turning into a man and then become a cat again and leave the next morning.But she insisted that she is still a virgin!

I told her "if you feel you have been raped by a cat man..first you lodge a police report and then we need to catch that cat and arrest the cat and then once its a medico legal case only then I can check you"

Ok next case..once a mother brought her daughter to see me for stomach pain..the girl was unmarried and actually going into labour..so I told her and her mother that she is going into labour any moment and needs to be transferred to the main hospital.

Then the girl said she is still a virgin and has no idea how the baby came into her.

Then the mother herself said her daughter is a virgin and how did the baby get in.

Strange, Sad and LOL stories ...Thanks for sharing :)

Has it happened in India or in your present work place, which I think Malaysia?

Dear Brahmachari,

Those who worship Bharat Mata will understand the reality of Christian evangelism and Muslim unbridled population growth!

Earlier the entire North East be it Nagaland or Mizoram & Meghalaya was 100% Hindu..Now they are now Christian majority...Hindu festivals are not allowed there..There are lot of militant organizations who are active there and want to secede..The Christians are also active in Manipur and Arunachal Pradesh too

Look at our own TN..In Kanyakumari district, the Christians wanted to change the name to Kannimary district as Christians are considerable!

The Muslims & Christians so long as they are in a minority it is ok..But we need to be beware of their activities..They will constantly ask for some concession or other..The moment their number cross 25% they will ask for secession!

The Muslims do not want to subscribe to 2 child norm..That's why their population in India which was 6% at time of partition has gone to 14.6%

I am concerned about Hindus dwindling nos..Are you not??

Dear Brahmachari,

Those who worship Bharat Mata will understand the reality of Christian evangelism and Muslim unbridled population growth!

Earlier the entire North East be it Nagaland or Mizoram & Meghalaya was 100% Hindu..Now they are now Christian majority...Hindu festivals are not allowed there..There are lot of militant organizations who are active there and want to secede..The Christians are also active in Manipur and Arunachal Pradesh too

Look at our own TN..In Kanyakumari district, the Christians wanted to change the name to Kannimary district as Christians are considerable!

The Muslims & Christians so long as they are in a minority it is ok..But we need to be beware of their activities..They will constantly ask for some concession or other..The moment their number cross 25% they will ask for secession!

The Muslims do not want to subscribe to 2 child norm..That's why their population in India which was 6% at time of partition has gone to 14.6%

Now, it is time for handing over the leadership of Hindu Religion to Dalits. MBCs and BCs, instead of Bs retaining the pivotal position. They will be definitely more successful in unifying Hindus than Bs and they will also be very effective to counter Abrahamic Religions. Hindus are badly in need of a Saint like Swamy Vivekananda.

1. As a "Newbie" how did you quickly figure out this subject has been discussed over and over again?
2. Are you already known to us in another avatara here ?
3. If you care to share kindly tell us if you have introduced yourselves elsewhere and share your religion too (not personal details obviously) since that will help understand your perspective better

Thanks

Honorable Mr. tks sir,

True I am a newbie. That does not mean I need to read posts that are dated only from the date i joined sir. I have been reading the posts in this forum for a long time sir. Any sensible person would understand this sir. being a senior member you ought to have understood this sir. it really pains me that there are members in this esteemed forum lacking even this basic sense and exposing their senselessness by means of such skeptical, cynical questions raised in sarcastic manner sir. your doubts are baseless sir and your queries are irrelevant to the subject matter of discussion in this thread and hence needless sir. It does not behove a true brahmin. in my humble opinion it is uncivilized, uncultured and uncouth to ask people to share their religion sir in this forum which is open to members of all religions, caste, creed, color sir. I have read many of your posts sir and truly i held you in a high esteem sir. But i am sorry to say i no longer hold you in any esteem sir.

i humbly request you to quit raising doubts and to cease interfering in others personal affairs and matters sir. you confine yourselves to sharing your viewpoints, opinions regarding the subject of discussion sir. that would be healthy for this forum sir.

I hold this forum in very high esteem sir. Please do not bring shame and disgrace to this forum by your mean queries and misgivings sir.

Dear Brahmachari,

Dear Vgane Sir,

I thank you immensely for responding to my post.

The demand to secede from india is a matter of concern indeed. Also change of name of kanyakumari is by any means not acceptable.

I am aware of the activities of christian evangelists and muslims in india. Rightly did our present PM Narendra Modi quote "Hum Paanch hamaara bees (We are five and ours is twenty)" chiding the muslims when he was CM of Gujarat.

But I dont think hindus are dwindling in number. Hindus have also grown and multiplied in India. Perhaps the percentage of hindus in india has a dipped a little. I reckon hindus constitute more than 90% of indian population and it would take centuries for other religions to outnumber hindus in india.

Dear Vgane Sir,

I thank you immensely for responding to my post.

The demand to secede from india is a matter of concern indeed. Also change of name of kanyakumari is by any means not acceptable.

I am aware of the activities of christian evangelists and muslims in india. Rightly did our present PM Narendra Modi quote "Hum Paanch hamaara bees (We are five and ours is twenty)" chiding the muslims when he was CM of Gujarat.

But I dont think hindus are dwindling in number. Hindus have also grown and multiplied in India. Perhaps the percentage of hindus in india has a dipped a little. I reckon hindus constitute more than 90% of indian population and it would take centuries for other religions to outnumber hindus in india.

Thanks Brahmachari...This is the religious demography as of 2001:

Religious Composition Population * (%)
Hindus​
827,578,868​
80.5​
Muslims​
138,188,240​
13.4​
Christians​
24,080,016​
2.3​
Sikhs​
19,215,730​
1.9​
Buddhists​
7,955,207​
0.8​
Jains​
4,225,053​
0.4​
Other Religions & Persuasions​
6,639,626​
0.6​
Religion not stated​
727,588​
0.1​
Total *​
1,028,610,328​
100.​

As per India Hindus are 80.5%

We do not have the religious demographics of 2011 census..But as per grapevine Hindus are under 80% now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back