• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Religious conversion of film personalities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Renuka’s post #13

I understand your point but after a while as we age we start to feel..."hey what am I following? A set rules of code and conduct? Where is my absolute freedom to realize the truth my own experiences?"
That is when we start to question the need of an organized religion but that does not mean that we are going astray.

I drive a car every day. After a while as I age and become curious I wonder “…hey what am I doing? A set rules and procedures to start and run this contraption. Where is my freedom to know what is really happening when this contraption runs carrying me? Am I in command or something else?”

This is when I start to question not the need for the car but the idea behind the IC engine that is at the core of the whole thing. I do not underestimate the knowledge and hard work that has gone into inventing, improving and giving the IC engine. I try to understand and acquire that knowledge so that I better understand this contraption and derive more pleasure driving it.

Coming to being friendly with people of other religions..firstly we Hindus need to be user friendly with people of our own religion.When we fail to respect our very own Hindus by having so called religious restrictions for certain group of people..I fail to see why we need to even lament that any Hindu left his/her religion.

The “certain groups” referred to are groups in existence. There is no use denying their existence here in this world. Truth does not have to be ashamed of itself. The truth may hurt. But that does not make the truth non-existent. It may be politically convenient and expedient to deny the existence of the truth. But despite all that whitewashing and “brotherhood” and “fraternity” sentiments the gross truth is that there are groups among people with varying degree of endowments from nature. Hinduism is the only religion which boldly recognizes such differences and accept them for what they are and proceeds to frame principles on which the society can live peacefully. If other religions want to whitewash and hide the truth and paint an artificial beauty on top of that let them do that. People who are attracted towards that may go and may even spit on the original painting. That is okay. We can not make people think in any particular way. Thought can only be free. If people want to make a choice between an unpleasant truth and a wishful siesta let them do that. It is after all freedom of individual.

So since we can never really change the mindset of anyone..the best is life and let life..so whether a person decides to be an Amar,Akbar or Anthony..its truly his choice to deal with.

Very true.

I also notice double standards among us Hindus..when a Hindu converts to another religion..all hell breaks lose..saying Aiyoo Kali Yuga..Dharma is on the decline but when people of other religions embrace Hinduism..that time these people who became Hindus are praised for choosing the right path..realizing Truth etc...so likewise some Muslim or Christian might be rejoicing when a Hindu converts ..they would be feeling finally this person has seen the Light!

Who is bothered! Hindus certainly are not bothered. Others may be. Their talk about the herd, the shepherd and the wayward sheep losing its way etc indicate that. We, Hindus, do not speak in that language.

Hindus at times keep bragging about Ahimsa..but Ahimsa is not merely physical violence..it also includes mental violence and we also need to ask ourselves"how many times have we mentally judged someone or looked down upon them?"

Judging a human being and looking down upon that being because that being is less endowed with is normal natural human mind’s activity. To compare, to feel proud, to feel pity for, to celebrate the perceived advantages are all natural human mind’s activities. Without that the mind will be dead. The only thing that has to be shunned is using the advantage to put down the less fortunate other human being. I believe that is what is ahimsa. Not the one you have pointed out. If one has to completely be blind to ones natural advantages, achievements, proud moments etc., that would require him to be brain dead-as you have said rightly. Human beings do exist who understand well the nature’s scheme of things as they exist- a sort of a beautiful symphony of colors- that you can not take away any one line with a particular color because the beauty of the whole will be crippled. Such ahimsa can be practiced. An ahimsa in which a tiger is aware of its comparative physical advantages over those of a deer and yet walks away watching a deer playing with its kids because there is space for every one on the earth.

I know your attention span defieciency. Yet I hope you will read this fully. You’re your time.Thanks.

Renuka’s post #16

After reading some amount of "religious" data..I feel basically its men who give fellow humans a round around when it comes to seeking the Almighty.
In fact its religion that chooses to externalize God and make us go on a wild goose chase for something that was all the while within.
So frankly speaking all religions fail miserably ..even in Hinduism the concept of internalization of God is almost never stressed upon..people still go one doing all sorts of rituals and spiritual undertaking without realizing that what they are looking for is actually within.

There are religious philosophies which prescribe strongly the subject-object mix-up and you have yourself spoken highly about these philosophies in your earlier posts. So your complaint about seeking almighty and going round and round is surprising. The vedic religions do not ask you to externalize God. Can you externalize your children? Can you externalize your mother? Language is just a tool. It can not explain or give the meaning fully in all situation. “externalizing” is one such here. If you think you can internalize your child or mother how far can you go? Can you explain it?

Religion does not teach us how to take charge of our lives..it only teaches us to be dependent on some external factor..the whole concept of Nirashraya(not dependent on anything) is totally not present.
With religion a person seldom reaches his/her full potential..I dont see any reason why a person cant focus his/her mind without religion.The best if to observe a child..a young child has no idea what religion is all about but yet his/her mind isfocused on survival and also the learning curve is the highest during early childhood..all these might seem like a child's play but actually it involves a lot of observation and concentration.

With religion on their side Mahatma Gandhi, Vivekananda, Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, Mother Teresa and many others reached their full potential. Religion never tells you to give up your effort and follow it. Your understanding is flawed.

Animals too life without religion but they seem to be doing fine and are able to focus their minds for continuation of species and survival within their Dharma of their species.So with all these observations..I feel religion is not a pre requisite for focusing our thoughts.

Only one of these two things can be true:

1)Animals just live and die when the time comes.

2)They have full blown civilization and have religions too. We do not know anything about animals and their thought processes and so have little there to speak about their religion or philosophical thoughts. When I come to know the language of a mosquito or that of a Mongrel or a cockroach I will know whether they have a religion or not.

When you do not even know whether they are really doing fine, there is no use quoting their life as an example. LOL.

I can give myself as an example...when I was professing a religion and now after not professing any religion..I dont see any difference in my thought process and ability to focus.I am totally the same..same systematic person who plans everything in life and can even focus my mind even in the nosiest atmosphere and have survived many stressful situations.

What a gross misunderstanding of religion!! LOL.

Answers in blue

I drive a car every day. After a while as I age and become curious I wonder “…hey what am I doing? A set rules and procedures to start and run this contraption. Where is my freedom to know what is really happening when this contraption runs carrying me? Am I in command or something else?”

yes..after sometime even I wonder "hey why am I still driving..why dont I learn how to appear and disappear at my destination? Even while waiting at airports for flight I sometimes think.."if only I could make myself appear and disappear at my own will..I wont need a visa..a passport etc"

Hinduism is the only religion which boldly recognizes such differences and accept them for what they are and proceeds to frame principles on which the society can live peacefully. If other religions want to whitewash and hide the truth and paint an artificial beauty on top of that let them do that. People who are attracted towards that may go and may even spit on the original painting. That is okay. We can not make people think in any particular way. Thought can only be free. If people want to make a choice between an unpleasant truth and a wishful siesta let them do that. It is after all freedom of individual.

Disagree..Hinduism also white washes facts at times.For example when Karma cant be changed yet Pariharams are recommended.

Who is bothered! Hindus certainly are not bothered. Others may be. Their talk about the herd, the shepherd and the wayward sheep losing its way etc indicate that. We, Hindus, do not speak in that language.

Yes..Hindus remain silent on matters that need to be spoken about and speak when silence is required!LOL

Judging a human being and looking down upon that being because that being is less endowed with is normal natural human mind’s activity. To compare, to feel proud, to feel pity for, to celebrate the perceived advantages are all natural human mind’s activities. Without that the mind will be dead. The only thing that has to be shunned is using the advantage to put down the less fortunate other human being. I believe that is what is ahimsa. Not the one you have pointed out. If one has to completely be blind to ones natural advantages, achievements, proud moments etc., that would require him to be brain dead-as you have said rightly. Human beings do exist who understand well the nature’s scheme of things as they exist- a sort of a beautiful symphony of colors- that you can not take away any one line with a particular color because the beauty of the whole will be crippled. Such ahimsa can be practiced. An ahimsa in which a tiger is aware of its comparative physical advantages over those of a deer and yet walks away watching a deer playing with its kids because there is space for every one on the earth.

I know your attention span defieciency. Yet I hope you will read this fully. You’re your time.Thanks

Ahimsa never existed ever.. the person who spoke most about it got a bullet! ....even in our Puranas..its always a clash of the Titans..cursing each other for the slightest thing with total lack of control..Angry Bird Syndrome.

Last edited:
Answers in blue:

The vedic religions do not ask you to externalize God. Can you externalize your children? Can you externalize your mother? Language is just a tool. It can not explain or give the meaning fully in all situation. “externalizing” is one such here. If you think you can internalize your child or mother how far can you go? Can you explain it?

To internalize a mother and a child one needs to think of them at cellular level.
So its possible to internalize a child and one's mother.
My child came for my gamete and I came from my mothers gamete..so at a cellular level internalization occurs.

If we want to externalize them its also possible..cos they are technically living entities that exists outside of our body with a mind of their own.

With religion on their side Mahatma Gandhi, Vivekananda, Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, Mother Teresa and many others reached their full potential. Religion never tells you to give up your effort and follow it. Your understanding is flawed.

Possible..my understanding could be flawed..

Mahatma Gandhi is a white washer..gave Harijan tag to Dalits just to make them feel better without addressing the issue and went on a fast for nothing at all that put Ambedkar in a fix for a separate electorate for Dalits.

Mother Theresa for me I feel even though she did seva she should not have converted people to her religion.

Only one of these two things can be true:

1)Animals just live and die when the time comes.

2)They have full blown civilization and have religions too. We do not know anything about animals and their thought processes and so have little there to speak about their religion or philosophical thoughts. When I come to know the language of a mosquito or that of a Mongrel or a cockroach I will know whether they have a religion or not.

Agreed..the animals could be having a animal God and animal heaven with animal Apsaras dancing to "Who Let the Dogs Out"

When you do not even know whether they are really doing fine, there is no use quoting their life as an example. LOL.

I have lots of experience with animals..if you listen to them they actually "talk" to you.

Last edited:
Dear TKS ji,

Actually your mental mode and my mental mode does not differ much..you too like to analyse but the difference is you are not yet willing to let go of some personal beliefs that still bind you to religion.

I am not saying I am right or you are wrong or you are right and I am wrong..its just that a persons mental mode can never be 100% right or 100% wrong and there is no need for any validation too cos each of us eventually find our own path that is best suited for us.

God is a very fair and just entity..He does not mark any exam papers set by man made rules and regulations which we call religion.

Dr Renu

Not sure what personal beliefs I exhibited in that post to bind me to what religion?? Word Hinduism is only a religion name for outsiders.

If you can suspend a few standard sentences that you write often regardless of their applicability and have something specific I can clarify or respond

Dr Renu

Not sure what personal beliefs I exhibited in that post to bind me to what religion?? Word Hinduism is only a religion name for outsiders.

If you can suspend a few standard sentences that you write often regardless of their applicability and have something specific I can clarify or respond

I have been down that lane before where it only lead to the jananam of the Mannangati files!LOL

Anyway since you want me to be specific..let me ask you:

1)Do you at the present state consider yourself professing any specific religion??? and if yes..kindly state the religion and why you choose to subscribe to it.

I have been down that lane before where it only lead to the jananam of the Mannangati files!LOL

Anyway since you want me to be specific..let me ask you:

1)Do you at the present state consider yourself professing any specific religion??? and if yes..kindly state the religion and why you choose to subscribe to it.

Let me see - the meaning of the word profess

pro·fess
prəˈfes,prō-/
verb
[COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]

claim openly but often falsely that one has (a quality or feeling).
    [COLOR=#878787 !important]"he had professed his love for her"[/COLOR]

affirm one's faith in or allegiance to (a religion or set of beliefs).
    [COLOR=#878787 !important]"a people professing Christianity"[/COLOR]
    synonyms:affirm one's faith in, affirm one's allegiance to, avow, confess

Word does not apply to me ...sorry
You have built in assumptions in your question and trying to box that into a straw man in order to respond ...

So I can tell you more easily some of what I do not do first along with some of what I do.

I do not subscribe to theologies of the organized religions because they can be shown to be logically flawed but have no problem visiting a church or Gurudwara or Mosque or Hare Krishna to name a few (which I have visited during their religious sessions with friends). I do not go to any temples with any regularity or plan but I am not against going either.

All daily duties I do (what may be called Nithya Karma) are things I do because I understand them without contradictions and know that they are in alignment with universal principles (by which I mean laws that apply to all beings including human beings).

We celebrate culturally some of the Hindu days - enjoy Kozhakkattai on day called Vinayaka Chathurthi or enjoy eating Cheedai and Murukku on a day called Gokulashtami.

I have no problem with anyone having any beliefs and can even join them if they invite me. For example at the end of the Ramadan a Muslim Sunni family will send us some of their vegetarian (usually sweet) preparations and I can join in their festivities. I have gone to midnight Mass on Christmas with an American girl in my school days who invited me to her house over Christmas.

The only time I speak up is if someone mis-charecterize any beliefs especially without understanding.

Hinduism as an umbrella term can be more easily 'abused' because there is no one to provide a response.

People who are labelled as Hindus behave like all other human beings with all the flaws of any human mind.

But the underlying teaching on which certain traditions have come about have strong connection to universal principles. Therefore I follow them.

What I have written is not what you wanted which is a one line / one word answer ...Wish world can be boxed like that ..

I think Sri Vaagmi has taken the trouble to point out in his own interesting style some of the issues with your statements in other posts in this thread. While I cannot even begin to respond to many statements and I may not agree 100% with all his statements I do appreciate the effort he put in to pointing out some of the issues which I can sort of understand.

Its not brainwashing............So frankly if you ask me the best religion is NO religion at all..just be a good person and dont harm anyone and that should suffice..anyone intelligent enough will realize that there is a Higher Universal Consciousness that runs this whole universe and He is called God.

In short, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all your heart, all your soul and all your might. Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Against such there is no law"

In short, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all your heart, all your soul and all your might. Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Against such there is no law"

Dear Renukaji,

No need to go that far and get the knowledge through translation (translations can not transcend cultures unless done carefully) that too from a book which was whitewashed and sanitized in the known part of recent history at Nice.

This is older, authentic and straight from the heart- as an expression of love straight and direct :

1. பச்சைமாமலைபோல் மேனி பவளவாய் கமலச்செங்கண்
அச்சுதா அமரர் ஏரே ஆயர் தம் கொழுந்தே என்னும்
இச்சுவைத்தவிர யான் போய் இந்திர லோகமாளும்
அச்சுவைப்பெறினும் வேண்டேன் அரங்கமாநகருளானே.

Last edited:
renuka in #28:

yes..after sometime even I wonder "hey why am I still driving..why dont I learn how to appear and disappear at my destination? Even while waiting at airports for flight I sometimes think.."if only I could make myself appear and disappear at my own will..I wont need a visa..a passport etc"

Again the subject object mix up and the ashtamaasiddhi that it leads to occasionally. Yes you can disappear and reappear at will. But then is it an achievement? Do you really seriously want to achieve that? LOL.

Disagree..Hinduism also white washes facts at times.For example when Karma cant be changed yet Pariharams are recommended.

Pariharams help you face situations by giving you confidence and strength - for people who believe in that. Period. Where is the white washing here? If you drive your car @ 80 kmph straight into the undercarriage of a 3 tonne multi axle military truck and get your both legs converted into pulp, you can not go to God and pray for your legs back offering him a bribe by way of two replicas of legs made with gold and studded with diamonds as an offering. You should not have had that last badaa peg and those lucky drops for the road before getting behind the wheels.

Yes..Hindus remain silent on matters that need to be spoken about and speak when silence is required!LOL

That is perhaps your perception. Others need not agree with you on that and it may not even represent the facts.

Ahimsa never existed ever.. the person who spoke most about it got a bullet! ....even in our Puranas..its always a clash of the Titans..cursing each other for the slightest thing with total lack of control..Angry Bird Syndrome.

No. It does exist in every brahmin family here-in every member of the family. Come here and see for yourself. Only one request - after seeing for yourself you should stop calling those intelligent, smart ahimsavadhis as "Ambis" of the Anniyan variety. LOL.

Last edited:
renuka in #29:

To internalize a mother and a child one needs to think of them at cellular level.
So its possible to internalize a child and one's mother.
My child came for my gamete and I came from my mothers gamete..so at a cellular level internalization occurs.If we want to externalize them its also possible..cos they are technically living entities that exists outside of our body with a mind of their own.

Take your gamete put it in a test tube and try to create a son or a daughter and then tell me whether the internalization was complete. Sit before your son or daughter and decode what is passing through his/her mind and check up how far you are right and then come and tell me whether you externalized them really.

Mahatma Gandhi is a white washer..gave Harijan tag to Dalits just to make them feel better without addressing the issue and went on a fast for nothing at all that put Ambedkar in a fix for a separate electorate for Dalits.

Mother Theresa for me I feel even though she did seva she should not have converted people to her religion.

Do you know the meaning of the word Dalit? Does it not carry with it a permanent scar and a victimhood in perpetuity? The word Harijan does not do that. So Harijan is better than Dalit. You can not call somebody hey dalit and then claim that you are going to address his issue. Gandhi addressed the issue and so called him a harijan. The separate electorate is a political game played. Better we do not discuss it here. I have my arguments against what Ambedkar did.

For the destitutes there was no religion. They were subsisting and Teresa gave them food and shelter and a religion too i n that order of priority. She could give only the religion that she knew. That was not bad.

Agreed..the animals could be having a animal God and animal heaven with animal Apsaras dancing to "Who Let the Dogs Out"

God and Heaven are ideas of human beings. The animals may have a "No God" and "No Heaven" ideas which we may not even comprehend. Animals being animals may not sit and watch those animal apsarases dancing for long. They may grab those animal apsarases and finish the task at hand quickly.

In my view, if anyone wants to convert from one religion to another or stop following their religion or make up their own religion then let them.
Other do not have a business in their transformation though it may be hard for a close relation to watch such a change sometimes (and hence intervene).

If after this change, the changed person creates issues for others or puts down their former religion or attempts coercive or manipulative or slimy techniques to convert others then it becomes a public issue. This is because religious conversion often targets unsuspecting people taking advantage of their security and economic needs and is a form of major violence. At that point it is a public issue.

The Jewish people do not have notions of conversion just like the umbrella religion called Hinduism and hence they are gentle religions.

If a person voluntarily goes and converts then a society should always permit that.

In the end religion is supposed to be for one's personal 'growth' and what one does with or without organized religion is their business.
The only reason I even stepped into a discussion is because I sensed a put down of Hinduism due to wrong information. It is not that Hinduism or Hindus need any one to defend it, but it is my weakness to step in now and then.

I know there was no purposeful negative comments about any religion in this thread other than people presenting & sharing what they know.

Let there be world peace !

No. It does exist in every brahmin family here-in every member of the family. Come here and see for yourself. Only one request - after seeing for yourself you should stop calling those intelligent, smart ahimsavadhis as "Ambis" of the Anniyan variety. LOL.

Well Ahimsa is like Virginity..it hardly exists in its purest form...let me elaborate..

for example some guys/girls swear in the name of Almighty that they are virgins and keep praising themselves as virtuous etc blah blah blah.

Ok now some people are virgins becos of lack of opportunity and some claim to be virgins but keep surfing porn and have lost so much of their bodily fluid in that process too..

so they might physically be a virgin but technically a lust driven creature who hasnt got a chance to be a sniper yet..so they keep thinking all day about it but yet claim to be virgins.

Now the true Parama Virgins do exists..the ones who have never seen porn..never even looked at a person of the opposite sex in lusty manner and who are almost Urdhva Retas.But these types are very rare.

Now coming back to Ahimsa..truly Ahimsavadis are very rare..mostly even the most unassuming Ambis could have had violent thoughts in their mind but somehow project an outwardly Ambified image.

So that way none of us know what really goes on even in a so called Ambi's mind..at least Remo and Anniyan we can guess..as the saying goes..still water runs deep!LOL

I cant stand my neighbour cos when I go to work in the morning she tries to make small talk with me telling me about her grandkids etc..I feel like constructing a wall so that she cant see me.She has so many of her children staying with her..why cant she talk to them and leave me alone??LOL

Old ladies should understand that others go to work and have no time to talk especially when are trying to avoid a traffic jam.

So you see love thy neighbour is not possible all the time.

Well Ahimsa is like Virginity..it hardly exists in its purest form...let me elaborate..

for example some guys/girls swear in the name of Almighty that they are virgins and keep praising themselves as virtuous etc blah blah blah.

Ok now some people are virgins becos of lack of opportunity and some claim to be virgins but keep surfing porn and have lost so much of their bodily fluid in that process too..

so they might physically be a virgin but technically a lust driven creature who hasnt got a chance to be a sniper yet..so they keep thinking all day about it but yet claim to be virgins.

Now the true Parama Virgins do exists..the ones who have never seen porn..never even looked at a person of the opposite sex in lusty manner and who are almost Urdhva Retas.But these types are very rare.

Now coming back to Ahimsa..truly Ahimsavadis are very rare..mostly even the most unassuming Ambis could have had violent thoughts in their mind but somehow project an outwardly Ambified image.

So that way none of us know what really goes on even in a so called Ambi's mind..at least Remo and Anniyan we can guess..as the saying goes..still water runs deep!LOL

Ok. To reply in your syntax. If tumescence can be proof of losing virginity,unexpressed fleeting thoughts can make one a Himsawadhi.

Unfortunately these are not in the realm of reality.

Yes Yes..you get it now.

Therefore hardly anyone is a Ahmisavadi!LOL

Yes, yes. I agree. There are no virgins- boys or girls- in the world. So the word virgin is redundant and let us remove it from the language. Let us make sure that the equivalent of it from all languages is also removed for ever.

There is a business opportunity there. Someone can start a company selling a particular quickly swallowable tablet which will quickly metabolize and instantly stop tumescence and thus sell the idea of preserving a non-existent virginity to every young man/woman. I am ready to invest a million Rupees to start with in the Company and then unload the shares at an opportune moment in the market and make a quick killing. LOL.

Yes, yes. I agree. There are no virgins- boys or girls- in the world. So the word virgin is redundant and let us remove it from the language. Let us make sure that the equivalent of it from all languages is also removed for ever.

There is a business opportunity there. Someone can start a company selling a particular quickly swallowable tablet which will quickly metabolize and instantly stop tumescence and thus sell the idea of preserving a non-existent virginity to every young man/woman. I am ready to invest a million Rupees to start with in the Company and then unload the shares at an opportune moment in the market and make a quick killing. LOL.

Frankly speaking the word Virgin is sort of insulting!LOL

Really..why should anyone know what is the sexual status of anyone?

Its a personal right to keep the sexual status unknown.

Last week I was watching a TV show called Choice where female applicants get to join this contest to go on a date with a male celebrity.

There was this one female who kept on saying she is a virgin non stop and she values her virginity and will only share it with Mr Right after marriage.

I was thinking "What?? If she is such a virginal creature why enter this contest"

I knew right away she will be rejected cos most self proclaimed Virgins are semi neurotic and might take revenge and go mad and scream rape even if any act is consensual.

True normal virgins dont keep bragging about their virginal status..only the neurotic or psychotic ones keep bragging!LOL

Ok now coming to your business proposal....you are talking about artificially maintaining physical virginity but what about preventing loss of mental virginity? That cant be done with a tablet!LOL

...........LOL.
Does it mean that you can write anything like this, if the post ends with a 'LOL'?

???? Insulting?

Dear Renu,

'Kanya dhAnam' is one of the best dhAnams in the world and please remember that.

It should be renamed as Putri dhAnam cos at least the virginity status of the female getting married need not be known.

BTW Virgin or not a Virgin a father still gives his daughter away in marriage isnt it? So why use the word Kanya?

RR ji..BTW what is so extra special about Kanya dhAnam..I feel Go dhAnam is the best cos cows are so cute and a cow need not be a virgin!LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back