• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Religion confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

abacustrani

Every religion and tradition teach us what to do and what not to do ???
What is right and what is wrong???
But who knows....What is right...
I think it depends on the mentality of people ...
I mean to say that.....
Eating an ice cream in winter is right according to child but it is wrong according to parents????
So according to me everybody must have a choice to decide right and wrong of their own....

Please reply...friends...

When you are in elementary school you need a teacher.
When you are doing your PHd, you need a guide.
When you are a professor you can guide others.

It is better to have a Guru, a true guru is difficult to find. You need to search and find one for you.
We all can thrash around and muddle through the spiritual jungle and may find our way.

There is nothing called absolute right or absolute wrong, it all depends on your perspective and your association with the result.
Gita chapter 18 Text 66

sarva-dharman parityajya
mam ekam saranam vraja
aham tvam sarva-papebhyo
mokshayisyami ma sucah

Translation

Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear.

abacustrani (OMG what a name!!),

You have got it all wrong. Did it ever occur to you that you should know what you really are? and have you ever thought about asking the question "is there a GOD?" Have you ever thought how you should relate yourself to that God if He exists at all?

When you start getting these thoughts in your mind, and when you move to the next logical stage of searching for answers to your questions you come to look at religions. Religions-because these questions have been raised by many people earlier and they have recorded their answers as they occurred to them. You try to understand what is said in various religions and then take some and leave some depending on your specific need.

This is what I understand by the word religion.

Whose translation is this? dharma is not religion.

Gita chapter 18 Text 66

sarva-dharman parityajya
mam ekam saranam vraja
aham tvam sarva-papebhyo
mokshayisyami ma sucah

Translation

Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear.

When you are in elementary school you need a teacher.
When you are doing your PHd, you need a guide.
When you are a professor you can guide others.

MR. Sarang ji,
Pardon me I only went up to PHD level. You are far above than that level, so nothing I say is going to be at your level of intellect.
May be this explanation meets your approval.:eek:hwell:
Dharma is one of the most important themes within Hinduism. One often sees dharma translated as religion, duty, or even righteousness, but in fact, there is no single direct translation for dharma. Religion, duty and righteousness are not wrong; they are simply included within the idea of dharma. The word "dharma" comes from the Sanskrit root dhri, meaning to "uphold" or to "sustain."

Religion is applicable to a life - man or women - (not for animals - they have their own Dharma) from birth to death. How the life should progress itself in the span - all the dos and donts - and along side telling the purpose or reason of life. What is the ultimate mission of life - not to be born again - to identify God and merge in him. There are different approaches and many more may come to tell the same things in different styles. It is a code of conduct for life from life to death - from worldly intelligence to highest intelligence.

So according to me everybody must have a choice to decide right and wrong of their own....

Please reply...friends...

Hi,

I fully agree with this line.
As long we do not land in jail or on the wrong side of law or hurt anyone directly or indirectly I feel the Right and Wrong decision is fully ours to make.

No two minds are alike..so it's finally up to us to decide for ourselves what is the best suited for us.

Once a learned person told me a really unconventional advise..he said ..
"that which might even look like Adharma to the world might be the best suited for your Karma"

It is a FREE WORLD dear and that's what religion is all about.
Religion helps us BREAK FREE!!

Last edited:
Dear Shriman Prasad,
Dharma has been rigorously defined in the shastras.The following is from manu smriti:

Dhriti Kshama Damo Asteyam Shaucham Indriya-nigrahah

Dheer Vidya Satyam Akrodho Dashakam Dharma Lakshanam

(1) Dhriti – Patience, (2) Kshama – Forgiveness, (3) Damah – Self

Control, (4) Asteya – Not Stealing, (5) Shaucha – Purity, (6) Indriya

Nigraha – Sense Control, (7) Dhi – Intellect, (8) Vidya – Learning/

Knowledge, (9) Satya – Truth, (10) Akrodha – Absence of Anger.

well , we are responsible for our own life.Having said that we can not be free to do all that we wish ....We have to behave in a certain way ..that's what religion says ....We use religion as a Joker card (very few people) , they behave out of their way & use the name of religion when they need a helping hand...
The negative spread they cause is huge & is damaging...
It is the Cutoms & rituals (customised) to every sect, group....!

if reaching a destination is thro' air, road or water...
Let's take water as an example..
Water is the medium (religion) & boats, cruise , ships etc., are the modes (customs & rituals)..

This is my understanding..Hope this gives some clarity..

dear prasad!
your interpretation of dharma is correct .but on mnay occations we use the word dharma which refers to the rigteousness or duty
guruvayurappan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back