• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Reciting 'Om Namah Shivaya' while doing Vaishnava aparadha

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reminded of a humorous Sanskrit Shloka where Parvati gets dejected that Lord Shiva is a mendicant and says:
Beg a piece of land from Parashurama,ask Kubera your friend for seed and Balarama for the plough.
Get the buffalo from Yama.You however have a bull of your own.
Your trident will serve for the iron piece in the plough.I am capable of bringing you food.
Shanmukha will take the cattle for grazing.Take to farming "O' Hara! I am fed up with this beggary" May these words of Gauri protect you.
So I guess financial constrains affect even Gods!LOL

Why beg the piece of land from Parasurama? An attempt to steal my beautiful Kerala and its exquisite beauties? The kudikidappukaran (homestead tenent) may take Shiva to court and Shiva in all probability will lose the case.

Why Gajanana is left out. Being one of the panchayatana pooja murthis the omission is glaring. Ganapathy is cute. How on earth can anyone ignore him?

The poet deserves punishment under the foot of an elephant. LOL.

Last edited:
Ganesha is not left in the orginal sloka (The original sloka is as follows) :

bhoomim praarthaya maadhavaat dhanapatherbiijam balaallaangalam

pretheshaanmahisham thavaasti vrishabham phaalam trisuulam kuru

bhoomiikarshavidhau niyojaya ganam
gorakshaney shanmukham

deenaaham thava yaajnayaa kuru krishim deviivachaH paathu naH ||

Indeed Gamesha is asked to till the ground.

Last edited:
Ganesha is not left in the orginal sloka (The original sloka is as follows) :

bhoomim praarthaya maadhavaat dhanapatherbiijam balaallaangalam

pretheshaanmahisham thavaasti vrishabham phaalam trisuulam kuru

bhoomiikarshavidhau niyojaya ganam
gorakshaney shanmukham

Indeed Gamesha is asked to till the ground.
deenaaham thava yaajnayaa kuru krishim deviivachaH paathu naH //

Thanks...I did not know this version..the version I have in my text book does not mention Ganesha.

Thank you once again for this information.

Vaishnavas are free to extol the "kalyana gunas" of their supreme lord, but it would be better to exercise restraint when it comes to making posts about "comparing Gods" or "evaluating respective merits and demertis" or "making relative statements" as there is no clear version on these matters to make an "authentic" claim.

Temples to film personalities is the outcome of worshipping godmen. Soon we will have temples for politicians and sportsmen also.

Lord Shiva on 'SriRanga Mahatmyam' says that it is not enough if a bhagawata all the time recites 'Om Namah Shivaya'. If he were to do Vaishnava Aparadha and speak low of Sri Vishnu, his prayers are never accepted to Sri Shiva!

Ref: Sri Ranga Mahatmyam from Sri Brahmanda Purana (attached), page 9, slokas 34, 35, 36).

But Siva also did this - subduing narasimha!

The Linga Purana and Sharabha Upanishad also mention this mutilation and murder of Narasimha. After the mutilation, Vishnu assumed his normal form and retired to his abode, after duly praising Shiva. It was from here on that Shiva came to be known as "Sharabeshamurti" or "Simhagnamurti".[SUP][10][/SUP][2

Sharabha
Shiva as Sharabha subduing Narasimha (Lord Vishnu), panel view from Munneswaram temple in Sri Lanka.
Devanagariशरभ
Sanskrit TransliterationŚarabha
Tamil TransliterationCaraba
AffiliationAvatar of Shiva
ConsortPrathyangira

Last edited:
Dear Janaki ji and others,

Ofcourse there are many instances of Lord Shiva subduing Sri Vishnu after Sri Vishnu took gigantic forms to save the world, such as Matsya, VAraha, Kurma, etc.

This thread is really not about 'comparing' such forms, or enter into a debate on which god is supreme. It is for the staunch Shaiva, steeped in his devotion for Lord Shiva, but still would go about blaspheming the name of Sri Vishnu, putting him down always!! There do exist such a category of people.

Take for example the story of Goldsmith Sri Narahari Sonar who lived in Pandaripur:

From https://indiansaints.wordpress.com/2009/08/13/sant-narahari-sonar/ :

"Narahari was born into a family of goldsmiths. He was a pious man .He was doing his family business with utmost sincerity, devotion and honesty. He was an ardent devotee of lord shiva “MALLIKA ARJUNA”whose temple is situated on the mahadwar of Vitthal Rukmani temple in Pandharpur. He firmly held lord Shiva in his heart and chanted NAMASHIVAYA panchaksharam. He was a non-compromising staunch saivite and even though he lived in Pandharpur and though his house was just a stonesthrow away from the Vitthal temple yet he never once visited Vitthal’s temple as he wanted to have nothing to do with lord Vitthal or even his devotees. During festival season at Vitthal’s shrine Narahari would move away from pandarpur to the neighboring villages as the festivities did not interest him and the crowds of devotees bothered him. Everyone in the village knew of this peculiar quality of his.However one day a devotee of Vitthal who was a trader by profession and was from a different town visited Narahari. Narahari was busy making gold ornaments. The trader told Narahari that he had come to see him with a special jewel order. Narahari asked him, what he wanted. The trader said, ”Swami, on hearing your extraordinary skills I have come here to make an exclusive one of a kind waist band. ”Narahari said, ”surely I will make one for you.”The trader replied, ”you are indeed a lucky person and do you know to whom you will be making this ornament. It is for our great Vitthal. ”On hearing this Narahari became furious. The trader did not know much about Narahari’s resolve, not to have anything to do with Vitthal. Again he said to Narahari, ”Swami, you are going to make this for our Vitthal. It is indeed your great fortune and it is very appropriate as there is no such skilled person in this village to do this job. Kindly accept my request. ”Narahari shouted, ”I don’t know anything about Vitthal and have no intention of entering the temple for any reason whatsoever.”
The trader persisted as ”I have been childless for a long period. We prayed to Vitthal and we got all our prayers answered and now we want to show our gratitude and keep up our vow by offering this special jewel. Finally the trader pleaded with him and half-heartedly and reluctantly Narahari accepted to do a waist band for Vitthal. Even then, Narahari said, ”Take measurement of Vitthal’s waist and I will make the jewel. I will not come to the temple myself.”The trader was surprised to hear this and he agreed to bring the measurements. The trader then went to the temple and took the measurement of Vitthal’s waistline and gave it to Narahari. He also gave a few valuable diamonds and various other precious stones for embedding on the jewel. Narahari started making the waistband and finished it in a short period of time. The jewellery came out so beautiful and dazzling with excellent workmanship and the trader was pleased with it.
narahari-sonar2.jpg

On an auspicious day the trader took the jewel to the temple and made elaborate pooja arrangements and offered it to Vitthal. But unfortunately the waistband didn’t fit the lord and it was tight. Disappointed he took it back to Narahari and told him to make it longer. Narahari added an extra link to the jewel to increase its length a bit. Again the trader went to the temple and tried the jewel, but this time surprisingly the waistband was too loose.At first the trader was confused and the next moment he thought that he had committed some mistake causing unhappiness to the lord and tears rolled over his eyes. Then he pulled himself up together and came to a final conclusion. He went back to Narahari and said, ”The waistband does not fit Vitthal. It is very surprising and confusing. Will you please come to the temple and take measurements yourself?”
Narahari got angry and shouted, ”I am a staunch saivaite. I will never come to the temple and look at your Vitthal. I have done my job perfectly. Please go away. ”But the trader was adamant and told him that he would blindfold him and take him to the temple and to this Narahari agreed. Both of them went to the temple.
The blindfolded Narahari took a thread to measure Vitthal’s waist and began his work. But while touching Vitthal’s body he felt Vitthal wearing tigerskin as his garment. This made him curious. Then he held his hands and felt the deer, axe, trishul, agni, drum and all of Shiva’s paraphernalia and this made him very suspicious. He even felt rudraksha mala around his neck, cresent and Ganges on his head ,his third eye on his forehead and snakes over his body. Having felt all this his suspicion made him so anxious and he wanted to have darshan of Vitthal as he was almost sure of seeing lord Shiva. The very next moment he removed his blindfold with great expectancy but he was utterly disappointed to see lord Vishnu instead of lord Shiva. At first he felt as if he had made a grave mistake. Immediately he closed his eyes with his hands, but he felt lord Shiva’s presence in front of him. He then understood this leela of god and he prostrated in front of lord Vitthal.
Narahari immediately bursted out crying , Oh Vitthala, ”please forgive me, I have done a great mistake all my life due to my ignorance. I didn’t realize Hari and Shiva are the same. I will have to forsake moksha for my fanatic attitude and the sin I have committed. ”Then a voice was heard from the sanctum sanctorum” this leela was performed to show to all through you that there is absolutely no difference between Vishnu and Shiva who are both aspects of the same Parabhramam”. Narahari was excited with what he heard and the realization that he had and with great love offered the waistband to the lord and it fitted perfectly. From then on, Narahari became devoted to Vitthal whom he realized was Hari & Shiva in one form. In one of his abangs on Vitthal he says “it is immaterial to me whether this deity is Shiva or Vishnu, all I seek is your unconditional love and grace oh Vitthal”.
Gurumaharaj Sri Sri Anna says that one should have exclusive love towards ones ishta deiva but at the same time he should never entertain any type of hatred towards other forms of god and must respect all his forms and more importantly respect the devotees of all his forms."

Dear Janaki ji and others,

Ofcourse there are many instances of Lord Shiva subduing Sri Vishnu after Sri Vishnu took gigantic forms to save the world, such as Matsya, VAraha, Kurma, etc.

This thread is really not about 'comparing' such forms, or enter into a debate on which god is supreme. It is for the staunch Shaiva, steeped in his devotion for Lord Shiva, but still would go about blaspheming the name of Sri Vishnu, putting him down always!! There do exist such a category of people.

Take for example the story of Goldsmith Sri Narahari Sonar who lived in Pandaripur:

From https://indiansaints.wordpress.com/2009/08/13/sant-narahari-sonar/ :

"Narahari was born into a family of goldsmiths. He was a pious man .He was doing his family business with utmost sincerity, devotion and honesty. He was an ardent devotee of lord shiva “MALLIKA ARJUNA”whose temple is situated on the mahadwar of Vitthal Rukmani temple in Pandharpur. He firmly held lord Shiva in his heart and chanted NAMASHIVAYA panchaksharam. He was a non-compromising staunch saivite and even though he lived in Pandharpur and though his house was just a stonesthrow away from the Vitthal temple yet he never once visited Vitthal’s temple as he wanted to have nothing to do with lord Vitthal or even his devotees. During festival season at Vitthal’s shrine Narahari would move away from pandarpur to the neighboring villages as the festivities did not interest him and the crowds of devotees bothered him. Everyone in the village knew of this peculiar quality of his.However one day a devotee of Vitthal who was a trader by profession and was from a different town visited Narahari. Narahari was busy making gold ornaments. The trader told Narahari that he had come to see him with a special jewel order. Narahari asked him, what he wanted. The trader said, ”Swami, on hearing your extraordinary skills I have come here to make an exclusive one of a kind waist band. ”Narahari said, ”surely I will make one for you.”The trader replied, ”you are indeed a lucky person and do you know to whom you will be making this ornament. It is for our great Vitthal. ”On hearing this Narahari became furious. The trader did not know much about Narahari’s resolve, not to have anything to do with Vitthal. Again he said to Narahari, ”Swami, you are going to make this for our Vitthal. It is indeed your great fortune and it is very appropriate as there is no such skilled person in this village to do this job. Kindly accept my request. ”Narahari shouted, ”I don’t know anything about Vitthal and have no intention of entering the temple for any reason whatsoever.”
The trader persisted as ”I have been childless for a long period. We prayed to Vitthal and we got all our prayers answered and now we want to show our gratitude and keep up our vow by offering this special jewel. Finally the trader pleaded with him and half-heartedly and reluctantly Narahari accepted to do a waist band for Vitthal. Even then, Narahari said, ”Take measurement of Vitthal’s waist and I will make the jewel. I will not come to the temple myself.”The trader was surprised to hear this and he agreed to bring the measurements. The trader then went to the temple and took the measurement of Vitthal’s waistline and gave it to Narahari. He also gave a few valuable diamonds and various other precious stones for embedding on the jewel. Narahari started making the waistband and finished it in a short period of time. The jewellery came out so beautiful and dazzling with excellent workmanship and the trader was pleased with it.
narahari-sonar2.jpg

On an auspicious day the trader took the jewel to the temple and made elaborate pooja arrangements and offered it to Vitthal. But unfortunately the waistband didn’t fit the lord and it was tight. Disappointed he took it back to Narahari and told him to make it longer. Narahari added an extra link to the jewel to increase its length a bit. Again the trader went to the temple and tried the jewel, but this time surprisingly the waistband was too loose.At first the trader was confused and the next moment he thought that he had committed some mistake causing unhappiness to the lord and tears rolled over his eyes. Then he pulled himself up together and came to a final conclusion. He went back to Narahari and said, ”The waistband does not fit Vitthal. It is very surprising and confusing. Will you please come to the temple and take measurements yourself?”
Narahari got angry and shouted, ”I am a staunch saivaite. I will never come to the temple and look at your Vitthal. I have done my job perfectly. Please go away. ”But the trader was adamant and told him that he would blindfold him and take him to the temple and to this Narahari agreed. Both of them went to the temple.
The blindfolded Narahari took a thread to measure Vitthal’s waist and began his work. But while touching Vitthal’s body he felt Vitthal wearing tigerskin as his garment. This made him curious. Then he held his hands and felt the deer, axe, trishul, agni, drum and all of Shiva’s paraphernalia and this made him very suspicious. He even felt rudraksha mala around his neck, cresent and Ganges on his head ,his third eye on his forehead and snakes over his body. Having felt all this his suspicion made him so anxious and he wanted to have darshan of Vitthal as he was almost sure of seeing lord Shiva. The very next moment he removed his blindfold with great expectancy but he was utterly disappointed to see lord Vishnu instead of lord Shiva. At first he felt as if he had made a grave mistake. Immediately he closed his eyes with his hands, but he felt lord Shiva’s presence in front of him. He then understood this leela of god and he prostrated in front of lord Vitthal.
Narahari immediately bursted out crying , Oh Vitthala, ”please forgive me, I have done a great mistake all my life due to my ignorance. I didn’t realize Hari and Shiva are the same. I will have to forsake moksha for my fanatic attitude and the sin I have committed. ”Then a voice was heard from the sanctum sanctorum” this leela was performed to show to all through you that there is absolutely no difference between Vishnu and Shiva who are both aspects of the same Parabhramam”. Narahari was excited with what he heard and the realization that he had and with great love offered the waistband to the lord and it fitted perfectly. From then on, Narahari became devoted to Vitthal whom he realized was Hari & Shiva in one form. In one of his abangs on Vitthal he says “it is immaterial to me whether this deity is Shiva or Vishnu, all I seek is your unconditional love and grace oh Vitthal”.
Gurumaharaj Sri Sri Anna says that one should have exclusive love towards ones ishta deiva but at the same time he should never entertain any type of hatred towards other forms of god and must respect all his forms and more importantly respect the devotees of all his forms."

Dear

I do understand your sentiments!. But I am curious. Can you enlighten me with one story where a staunch vaishnava has ever said Hari & Haran are the same. Looks it is Savites look at it this way! though Vishnu may say so Ref: yor post 79 in response to my earlier posting which you liked!

Last edited:
Dear

I do understand your sentiments!. But I am curious. Can you enlighten me with one story where a staunch vaishnava has ever said Hari & Haran are the same. Looks it is Savites look at it this way! though Vishnu may say so Ref: yor post 79 in response to my earlier posting which you liked!

Janaki ji,

Yes, I do have such an example! Sant Tulsidas, ofcourse! The Vaishnava saint was a great devotee of Lord Rama. Nevertheless, he loved Lord Shiva very much and he was once on a pilgrimage to Rameshwaram. Let us here what happened there from this quote (from h2g2 - Goswami Tulsidas - The Man Who Brought The Ramayana to the Masses - Edited Entry) :

From Puri, Tulsidas left for Rameshwar. The priests of the Shiva-temple at Rameshwar would not allow Tulsidas to enter the temple, because he was a Vaishnava. Ironically, according toThe Rámáyana, the Shiva-lngam at Rameshwar was built by none other than Lord Ráma. So Tulsidas sat outside the temple and prayed to Lord Shiva. Soon he was blessed with thedarshan[SUP]12[/SUP] of Lord Shiva, who told him to return to Varanasi and fulfil the mission of his life. For Tulsidas Rameshwar became a special place because according to The Rámáyana, it was here that Lord Shiva and Lord Ráma were shown to be one within the other.

Janaki ji,

Yes, I do have such an example! Sant Tulsidas, ofcourse! The Vaishnava saint was a great devotee of Lord Rama. Nevertheless, he loved Lord Shiva very much and he was once on a pilgrimage to Rameshwaram. Let us here what happened there from this quote (from h2g2 - Goswami Tulsidas - The Man Who Brought The Ramayana to the Masses - Edited Entry) :

[/I][/I][/I][/I]

I like it But I can not understand why the pilgrimage along the foot steps of Rama stops with Tirupullani , avoiding Rameswaram. - Logistics sure is not a problem then why?

Are we just going to talk about this story vs that story, or is there any historical or scientific proof about anything that is being said? Otherwise how are people presenting their ideas as absolute truth?

Are we just going to talk about this story vs that story, or is there any historical or scientific proof about anything that is being said? Otherwise how are people presenting their ideas as absolute truth?

Dear Biswa ji,

That is what religion is all about..Story Vs Story...Archarya Vs Acharya..Bhakta Vs Bhakta...No one talks about God.

As long as religion exists we will never really know anything about God.

Till then just sit back and enjoy "locker room banter"!LOL

I find it amusing non-believers should find a way to post their comments in *every* believers' thread!

Why not keep *your banter* to your own self-created non-believer threads?

I find it even more amusing that some self proclaimed Believer assume others are Non Believers just becos some do not get emotionally carried away by religion.

God is God.

God has nothing to do with Religion.

May be the self proclaimed believer should start a thread to explain the signs and symptoms of a Non Believer and aid the understanding of everyone on how he/she arrived to his/her conclusion.

Last edited:
I find it even more amusing that people assume others are Non Believers just becos some do not get emotionally carried away by religion.

God is God.

God has nothing to do with Religion.

That might be your belief, person 'B' might believe something else, person 'X' might feel yet something else...

All these perspectives have *nothing* to do with this thread!

You are welcome to clarify your individual points in threads you create for such purposes!

Person A might believe in X and Person B might believe in Y..there is a possibility that Person A or Person B might not know XYZ of religion and God might be just laughing having His alphabet soup.

So there is actually nothing even to discuss cos no one right or wrong or anything in between.

LOL. It is very amusing that some here think 'they know all about god to the point of lecturing others not to discuss about god'!

I don't want to add anything further on this derailment of this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back