• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Re-energising the Kanchi mutt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear HH,

Pls,watch the conversation for somemore time, you will understand.. Otherwise, our discussion will be more or less like a chit-chat, which spoils the thread...

chit-chat is nice i suppose, can be better than serious discussion sometimes. but anyways, if you don't like it, its fine.

i thot it wud be nice if you cud answer this as asked in the previous posts, just in case you wish to: Why do you think 'god' cannot be a philosopher?

but anyways i shall wait for others to post before chipping in.

have a good day.

Dear Arun, your are perfectly right in saying Theology is entirely different from Philosophy.Theology works on the scriptures tandomly, and try to bridge it with the worldview-Science-Reality-Nature..Thats the role. Where as Philosophy/Metaphysics is entirely a different entitity, which works in a different platform and can refute/accept the scripture. May be, to start with you work on Euthyphro's dilemma, one of the earliest Aristotelian thing (google pls)

>>Hindu theology cannot be philosophy but there can be a Hindu philosophy>>

Here is a bit of caution when we use the word 'hindu philosophy'.. If you define the philosophy came out of the minds of Hindu sages, and wish to collectively call them as 'Hindu Philosophy' , then you are perfect right. But if you call the ancient scriptures itself as philosophical, then you will defeat your own arguments, of difference between Philosophy & Religion. For eg, if someone tells Hinduism is philosophic, then its a wrong terminology, in terms of 'True Philosopher's view'..

Again,I'm not saying you, but many of us, used to wrongly use the philosophy... I only know how wrong I was, when we used to addres a senile scholar's statement as 'Oh! He is so philosophical"

Again, there is a big issue, in literally defining the word philsophy, cos its more a Greek-Western concept..And it has really found difficulties in bridging with the East.. Thast why earlier in one of the post Shri.Nacchinarkiniyan said it rightly 'We studied philosophy in college, but we never had any mention of Indian philosophy..

Lets me also take an expert opinion from Shri.TBS..
hi sapr sir.
i studied indian philosophy/hindu philosophy in college..and
some basic knowledge about german/western philosophers
we have 3 non orthodox/6 orthodox philosophy systems
according to indian philosophy...non orthodox means
non believers/pramanas based on vedas..they are called
materlestics/bauddhas/jainas and 6 orthodox are
samkhya, yoga.nyaya, vaisheshika ,mimamsakas and vedantins
here they analysis/synthesis/hypothesis their thearies/views..
but hindu theogians basically follow vedas/ramayanas/mahabharatas/
and puranas...

regards

HAPPY HINDU>>> Why do you think 'god' cannot be a philosopher?>>

Shri.TBS,

Could you pls attempt to answer the above question, in an understandable way to happyhindu handle... Thanks in advance

Shri.TBS,

Could you pls attempt to answer the above question, in an understandable way to happyhindu handle... Thanks in advance
hi spr
Adi shankara bhagavdpadal was a philosopher...but he is not god..
god means bhagavan...god needs 16 kalas....some
saguna qualities....philosopher may be nirguna....

regards

Shri.TBS,

Thanks to Shri TBS-ji for the reply above. But Sapr, i'd prefer that you answer yourself.

hi spr
Adi shankara bhagavdpadal was a philosopher...but he is not god..
god means bhagavan...god needs 16 kalas....some
saguna qualities....philosopher may be nirguna....

regards

<<God means Bhagavan>>

bhagavan, the meaning of the word as i came across, please correct me if its not right:

van = keeper (as in dhanavan, keeper of wealth, balavan, keeper of strength)

bhagya = fate, bhagyavan or bhagavan = keeper of fate.

one who keeps our fate or decides fate, what is it? karma? god ? man ? what is karma? what is god? and what is man?

please can you explain the 16 kalas? and why god is / must be / may have "some saguna qualities"? and why philosopher "may be nirguna"?

(ps: sir, am aware of the diff b/w adi shankara as philosopher and "god")

Last edited:
Dear Sri arunshanker Ji,
My response in 'red'.
UFO is not a miracle
science does not say there is no possibility of life elsewhere
only thing is we have not yet found sufficient proof for that
Yes, existence is postulated. But there are 'fantastic' stories about various people being examined and the flight of UFO not conforming to today's aerodynamics make this, if true a 'miracle'.
Regarding Sai baba - That is what I am trying to put thru in the forum
If we read and know a Sai baba who did not perform miracles then there would be no Sai baba just an ordinary person
The miracles are thrust into the legend of a person who is to be portrayed as a great Christ himself was no exception
BTW are you talking about Shirdi or Staya Sai Baba
if it is Satya Sai Baba I would prefer to to stay silent!
Talking about both. By the way, I have witnessed personally vibudhi dropping continuously from a picture. To dismiss all these phenomenon as ordinary magic because today's science can not explain the phenomenon is the other side of claiming that any 'mracle' did not happen. Fact is that there are yogic siddhi powers that one can acquire that can defy today's scientific observations. I do not think that science has yet to explain many of these phenomena. So, instead of admitting this, a believer in science totally in explaining all the phenomena (both physical and meta physical) usually takes the time honored stance of dismissing all these phenomena as bogus.
and finally
In 1996, Ramar Pillai claimed to be able to transmute water to gasoline by a herbal formula that he claimed was the result of a miraculous bush. Pillai obtained 20 acres (81,000 m2) of land to cultivate his bush, but in fact it turned out that he was using sleight of hand to substitute kerosene for the liquid he claimed to have derived from the bush.
Ramar Pillai was notorious and ultimatley when busted a shame to Tamil Nadu. Infact he even managed to fool our then Prez APJK
Just google away you will get a lot results
Specific cheaters do not negate the real deals. There are umpteen number of 'scientific' claims that lie by the wayside. But then one does not condemn whole science as trickery. The only difference is that any scientific approach demands an event to be universally repeated and the theory to support the explanation fully, versus the 'miracles', while existing, can not be explained by Science.

So let me ask: Do you think that the yoga sastra (describing the 'miraculous' powers attained by the practitioner of Raja Yoga) by Pathanjali is sham and not true?

Regards,
KRS

Thanks to Shri TBS-ji for the reply above. But Sapr, i'd prefer that you answer yourself.

Dear HH, I could easily sense that you couldnt comprehend (or set with some prejudice) the difference between God & Philosophy, and thats why I asked you to re-read the previous 10posts of mine..Even then, you repeated your point 'God as philosopher'.. bit tired, I thought, you would be ok, if you could hear it from 'horse's mouth', and hence refered to your post to Shri.TBS. Interestingly, he also said the same single liner,what I've been telling you before,which you've been refuting without any substatial points. And this time, you were quick enought to accept it,without any further evaluation!! Which indicates, you only go by expert opinion, but not by your own logic/self evaluation/conviction..

As Arun once said thoughtfully,"" I go by my own logic/verification, doest matter from whoom/where the response comes from;;;

Now let me share you some of the most 'suicidal' arguments you presented earlier..

HH Said>>>Sorry we call Krishna, a philosopher and a guru (heard of krishnam vande jagatgurum). Why do you think that if someone is a philosopher, then his divinity becomes questionable? Am finding it impossible to consider a character that gave the gita as not a philosopher or a guru. Why do you think philosophy is man invented? If man can be god, then things can be god invented as well, depends on how you understand it, but am curious to hear more on this from you>>>>

Sapr333 said>>>> If you say Lord Krishna is God, then cannot be a philosopher. (OR)

HH Responds back>>Why do you think 'god' cannot be a philosopher? You may need to answer or explore what is 'god' first..

Upon TBS' third opinion, HH Responds >>>>>>(ps: sir, am aware of the diff b/w adi shankara as philosopher and "god")

PS: Hope you would have now understood, why I said'Chit-Chat posts, will spoil the thread and flow of discussion...Thanks

Last edited:
Dear Sri arunshanker Ji,
My response in 'red'.
By the way, I have witnessed personally vibudhi dropping continuously from a picture. To dismiss all these phenomenon as ordinary magic because today's science can not explain the phenomenon is the other side of claiming that any 'mracle' did not happen.

Regards,
KRS

Shri.KRS, a strange question..

Houdini can do lot more better things.. A street magician too can
"Turn water in to wine' & get golden rings out of thin air. Why not we call that as miracle?

So there must be a difference between Magic & Miracle ?

Whats that 'thin line' is all about?

Sri sapr333,
The difference between magic and 'miracle' is that the former's mechanism is well understood. Some of the latter's mechanism, if well understood may fall in to an area of magic.

The point is that to refuse to accept certain happenings just because today's science can not explain them seems to me is not correct. Till the explanation of the magnetic principle, the sucking out of all the nails from a ship nearing a magnetized rock would have been viewed as a 'phenomenon' or 'miracle' (which by the way actually happened).

'Miracles' of today, I am sure can be explained in the future by science. Till then, they will remain as 'miracles'.

Regards,
KRS

Shri.KRS, a strange question..

Houdini can do lot more better things.. A street magician too can
"Turn water in to wine' & get golden rings out of thin air. Why not we call that as miracle?

So there must be a difference between Magic & Miracle ?

Whats that 'thin line' is all about?

krs, i went through some old thread and tried to revive them.

i did not want to start a new thread on the same topic, but i was refused authority to post in that particular thread.

what is your suggestion in cases like these?

thank you.

Sapr,

Dear HH, I could easily sense that you couldnt comprehend (or set with some prejudice) the difference between God & Philosophy, and thats why I asked you to re-read the previous 10posts of mine..Even then, you repeated your point 'God as philosopher'.. bit tired, I thought, you would be ok, if you could hear it from 'horse's mouth', and hence refered to your post to Shri.TBS. Interestingly, he also said the same single liner,what I've been telling you before,which you've been refuting without any substatial points. And this time, you were quick enought to accept it,without any further evaluation!! Which indicates, you only go by expert opinion, but not by your own logic/self evaluation/conviction..

With due respect to Shri TBS ji, no i am not considering him as expert opinion. If i were the sort that goes by explanations given in books, i wud have gone ahead and studied philosophy as a uni subject. Am not of beleif that everthing can be conveyed correctly in words. Wud rather learn at the feet of gurus, seek explanations other than what they say, read on my own...If at all i have any prejudice, then probably it is with you.

Each time i think otherwise, you go and post things to specifically portray hindusim in a negative way, but do not seem to evaluate christianity with the same yardsticks. You choose to evaluate things based on a monotheistic mindset and are keen on being highly judgemental, exactly like a theologist, who argues in favor of christian thot; and in the end, ends up criticizing the person, not the thots.

Sapr, i can criticize my parents as much as i want. They will feel very bad but we both know we love each other, over time we reconcile, adjust a bit here and there and grow, our love never stops. But i cannot expect an outsider wud criticize my parents while loving them at the same time. Because sir, an outsider cud essentially be someone who has either not be born to my parents or has understood them well or does not have their well being at heart.

In that way, Sapr, i do tend to view your posts as that of an outsider, inclined to comment to evaluate in what appears to be a pseudoquest. I won't be surprised, if after a while, you post something like "kancha sir is right" or go back to evaluation of religion based on a handful of things like houries and kallar god from each religion, but sparing christianity.

As Arun once said thoughtfully,"" I go by my own logic/verification, doest matter from whoom/where the response comes from;;;

Now let me share you some of the most 'suicidal' arguments you presented earlier..

i find the term 'suicidal' amusing. in the crux of hindusim you wud find learning (which inculdes learning to accept new knowledge), we do not consider it a suicide, because, people are always won over and vid always grows.

HH Said>>>Sorry we call Krishna, a philosopher and a guru (heard of krishnam vande jagatgurum). Why do you think that if someone is a philosopher, then his divinity becomes questionable? Am finding it impossible to consider a character that gave the gita as not a philosopher or a guru. Why do you think philosophy is man invented? If man can be god, then things can be god invented as well, depends on how you understand it, but am curious to hear more on this from you>>>>

Sapr333 said>>>> If you say Lord Krishna is God, then cannot be a philosopher. (OR)

HH Responds back>>Why do you think 'god' cannot be a philosopher? You may need to answer or explore what is 'god' first..

Upon TBS' third opinion, HH Responds >>>>>>(ps: sir, am aware of the diff b/w adi shankara as philosopher and "god")

ah ok...so the crux is Krishna here. In case you have not read, i request you to read the atmashatakam by Sri Adi Shankara (each stanza ends with chidananda roopam shivoham shivoham, or the bliss of the consciouss of the self, that i am or Shiva i am). There are many who consider Sri Adi Shankara as an avatar of Shiva. So do i. Because anyone who has attained the bliss of his self, is Shiva literally. We do not differentiate between gurus and gods. And the gurus are essentially philosophers in the hindu streams, as explained in post 92. [please note everything that is in the human form fulfills its role in kala, so nobody can be the kind that ppl spare from pointing out imperfection].

To us, a philosopher can certainly be god. A man can be god, a plant can be god... The concept here is about "gods" and "god", henotheistic perhaps. While everything is part of god, is from god, is god, a "god" that "decides" things also exists. Which is why i said it depends on what you wud call god, as self, as brahman, as atman, as man, or as anything else you please. The name does not change its existence.

PS: Hope you would have now understood, why I said'Chit-Chat posts, will spoil the thread and flow of discussion...Thanks

So far what everyone has been doing in every thread is chit chat literally. Because serious discussions wud mean exchanging info in a lot more depth based on terms as used in the scriptures and arguing it out. If you do not like chit chat, you are welcome to discuss things in depth if you so wish to.

Last edited:
Sri sapr333,
The difference between magic and 'miracle' is that the former's mechanism is well understood. Some of the latter's mechanism, if well understood may fall in to an area of magic.

The point is that to refuse to accept certain happenings just because today's science can not explain them seems to me is not correct. Till the explanation of the magnetic principle, the sucking out of all the nails from a ship nearing a magnetized rock would have been viewed as a 'phenomenon' or 'miracle' (which by the way actually happened).

'Miracles' of today, I am sure can be explained in the future by science. Till then, they will remain as 'miracles'.

Regards,
KRS

Shri.KRS,

Regarding the underlined point (Science Vs Miracle), I think we all fairlywell agreed, during the discussion between Post #82-91 esp at the end of post #89.

Now my question here is... How could we distinguish a miracle & magic? The response on first para is still not convincing to me...Many of Houdini's magics are still not understood,cannot be replicated even..Many a village magicians are considered god-man of miracles? Can we call them also as miracles?..

Last edited:
Shri.KRS,

Regarding the underlined point (Science Vs Miracle), I think we all fairlywell agreed, during the discussion between Post #82-91 esp at the end of post #89.

Now my question here is... How could we distinguish a miracle & magic? The response on first para is still not convincing to me...Many of Houdini's magics are still not understood,cannot be replicated even..Many a village magicians are considered god-man of miracles? Can we call them also as miracles?..
hi all
magic and miracles........beautiful topic........like maya and
mithya in advaitha....an incident and an accident....
mirage is looklike water in desert...but its not water..
magicians are professional...miracles have some godly/
religious back ground...its may be my personal view..
here i have doubt...shri satya sai baba is magician or
making miracles....can anybody explain?..jesus/adi sankara/
sri krishna did many miracles........they are not magicians?

regards

Shri.TBS,

Could you please go through HH's post # 114 and share your expert opinion on the last 3 paragraphs regarding 'God & Philosopher'' .

You being a Doctorate holder in Philosophy, I know you could be the right person ..
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Shri.TBS,

Could you please go through HH's post # 114 and share your expert opinion on the last 3 paragraphs regarding 'God & Philosopher'' .

You being a Doctorate in Theology, I know you are the right person ..
Thanks in advance

Wud prefer it that you post something first, and then ask Shri TBS ji to post his views.

Or it might look like you have no thots of your own to post, but instead choose to piggy back on Shri TBS-ji's posts?

And i thot Shri TBS ji said doctorate in philosophy? Or not? You seem rather bent on theology...

Shri.TBS,

You being a Doctorate in Theology, I know you are the right person ..
Thanks in advance
hi spr
thank u so much... you explained well already...well i try again..
just for sake .GOD means GENERATOR..OPERATOR...
DESTROYER...may be correct..its form of hindu trnity...
means Lord brahma/vishnu/ shiva...god can take avatars
according to hindu theology...but philosopher like
Adi shankara/Sri ramanujacharya/ Sri madvacharya are
called achaaryas/philosophers...they may called avatar
purushas...not as GOD...its my humble opinion...

regards

hi spr
thank u so much... you explained well already...well i try again..
just for sake .GOD means GENERATOR..OPERATOR...
DESTROYER...may be correct..its form of hindu trnity...
means Lord brahma/vishnu/ shiva...god can take avatars
according to hindu theology...but philosopher like
Adi shankara/Sri ramanujacharya/ Sri madvacharya are
called achaaryas/philosophers...they may called avatar
purushas...not as GOD...its my humble opinion...

regards

Shri TBS -ji,

Are avatara purushas not considered gods? Any specific reasons ? Wud Krishna, Jesus, Buddha, not be considered "gods", while being gurus at the same time?

None of them Sri Adi Shanka, Sri Ramanuja, Sri Madhava called themselves as god. Except Sri Adi Shankara, there are no paranormal phenomenon attributed to the others. People later started treating Sri Adi Shankara as God. So do i. Because his compositions are rather paranormal, out of the world :)

Shri TBS -ji,

Are avatara purushas not considered gods? Any specific reasons ? Wud Krishna, Jesus, Buddha, not be considered "gods", while being gurus at the same time?

None of them Sri Adi Shanka, Sri Ramanuja, Sri Madhava called themselves as god. Except Sri Adi Shankara, there are no paranormal phenomenon attributed to the others. People later started treating Sri Adi Shankara as God. So do i. Because his compositions are rather paranormal, out of the world :)
hi HH ji
sorry..i head that jesus is son of GOd...according to Bible...
he never mentioned that he his God.i heard that he is always
as son of GOD...Buddha was philosopher....a refined
revolutionist of brahminism/even some considered
him as one of avatar purusha of lord vishnu...considering is different from in real sense...

regards

Wud prefer it that you post something first, and then ask Shri TBS ji to post his views.

Or it might look like you have no thots of your own to post, but instead choose to piggy back on Shri TBS-ji's posts?

And i thot Shri TBS ji said doctorate in philosophy? Or not? You seem rather bent on theology...

Dear HH,

Im not a scholar in Philosophy & Theology..All my academics were just, 4 yrs of studying diesel&petrol followed by 2 yrs of studies about 'managing coolies'..may be, from, some of the finest institutes..

Only after crossing age 30, I got interest in this subject, and all I acquired was solely through readings/forums (neither got any univeristy certificates nor had any gurus)..That why I refered your post to Shri.TBS for an expert opinion, cos he is a Doctorate Holder in Philosophy.

Now, Im eager to see,you, refuting his statements..Just curious!!

>>>sorry..i head that jesus is son of GOd...according to Bible...>>

J.C called himself as 'Son of God' or "Im the way to God' same as 'God' in line with the Trinity concepts like what we have 'Lord Shiva,Brahma,Vishnu' as God's of trinity..

I said this just to stress our core point in discussion, 'God Cannot be a Philosopher'.. Philosophy is just another man made subject, like Science..

Shri.TBS, correct me if Im wrong, here

Dear HH,

Im not a scholar in Philosophy & Theology..All my academics were just, 4 yrs of studying diesel&petrol followed by 2 yrs of studies about 'managing coolies'..may be, from, some of the finest institutes..

Only after crossing age 30, I got interest in this subject, and all I acquired was solely through readings/forums (neither got any univeristy certificates nor had any gurus)..That why I refered your post to Shri.TBS for an expert opinion, cos he is a Doctorate Holder in Philosophy.

Now, Im eager to see,you, refuting his statements..Just curious!!
hi sapr333,
well i already said...silence is best policy...here more vidanta
vadam than any serious discussion or understandings....
HUMAN MINDS ARE VERY DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTANDING...
sometimes our rajo/tamo gunas works hard than satvic gunas..means ego/jealousy etc

regards

Last edited:
HH
Please do understand that Buddha does not come in here in view of the fact that he is the only person certified by history beyond doubt among those ppl you have mentioned
Buddha was a great person I wud keep it that way and not make him a God!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back