• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Ravana Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Renu,

I was surprised to read this in Wiki! Read on ....

''According to the Mahābhārata, Kartikeya was born to Agni and Svāhā, after the latter impersonated six of the seven wives of

the
Saptarṣi
and made love to him. The Saptarshi, hearing of this incident and doubting their wives' chastity, divorced them.

These wives then became the Kṛttikā
.''

To read more:
Kṛttikā - Wikipedia

LOL! So divorce did exists back then! ha ha ha

Inthe Valmiki Ramayana, Hanuman describes Ravana as a gigantic man with thestrength of 10 men !! so that's how the 10 heads/arms come to represent his enormous strength & power !!
Dear Sir,

Might have been his size. He could lift the mount Kailash and hence would have the strength of many multiples of ten men! :)

My dad's driver used to describe a man as, 'azhichchaa mooNu aaL seyyalaam'!!

Dear Renu,

The constellation of Ursa Major, aka Great bear, has seven stars and hence named as 'Saptharishi mandalam'.
The sixth star

has a tiny star nearby and those
two (viz) Mizar and Alcor are referred to as Vashishta and Arundhathi. In brahmin weddings

Arundhathi is shown to the newly wedded couple.

alcor_mizar.jpg

Courtesy: Google images

Since the other six Rishis don't have tiny stars nearby, the 'divorce story' might have come into circulation! :)

Dear Renu,

The constellation of Ursa Major, aka Great bear, has seven stars and hence named as 'Saptharishi mandalam'.
The sixth star

two (viz) Mizar and Alcor are referred to as Vashishta and Arundhathi. In brahmin weddings

alcor_mizar.jpg

Since the other six Rishis don't have tiny stars nearby, the 'divorce story' might have come into circulation! :)

Yes RR ji..you are right.

BTW RR ji..in all Hindu weddings regardless of caste the Arundhati is shown to the newly weds.

........in all Hindu weddings regardless of caste the Arundhati is shown to the newly weds.
Thanks for the info. Renu. I was not aware.

BTW, this star is shown in day time when no star is visible! :D

In one wedding, the bride told the SAsthrigaL, who showed towards the East, that Arundhathi will be only in the North and

he started shouting at her! :lol:

Thanks for the info. Renu. I was not aware.

BTW, this star is shown in day time when no star is visible! :D

In one wedding, the bride told the SAsthrigaL, who showed towards the East, that Arundhathi will be only in the North and

he started shouting at her! :lol:

Dear RR ji,

It comes after stepping on the Ammi..the we are asked to see the Arundathi.

Dear Renu,

ammi midhiththu Arundhathi paarththu - is the phrase!

My dad used to say, if a person is able to see the star Arundhathi, then the person has no myopia! :thumb:

I have been wondering why our Gods and other mighty mythological heros have only two legs even when they have more than normal number of other organs & parts of the body Ravan with 10 heads 20 hands Murugan with 6 faces and 12 hands Shiva with 3 eyes etc Even animals when they are worshiped on elevation to level of Gods have 2 legs only like Hanuman who has tail and face of a monkey but never seen hopping on 4 legs but walks on 2 legs only. Any philosophical explantion or logical assumption on this?

One should not try to find logic in imaginary stories! :spy:

May be, rack the brain and find some philosophical explanation! :decision: .... :blah:

I have been wondering why our Gods and other mighty mythological heros have only two legs even when they have more than normal number of other organs & parts of the body Ravan with 10 heads 20 hands Murugan with 6 faces and 12 hands Shiva with 3 eyes etc Even animals when they are worshiped on elevation to level of Gods have 2 legs only like Hanuman who has tail and face of a monkey but never seen hopping on 4 legs but walks on 2 legs only. Any philosophical explantion or logical assumption on this?

Dear Janaki Ji,

Even in cartoons animals walk on 2 feet..

Pink Panther for example...also there used to be a cartoon called Quick Draw Mc Graw where he is a horse but rides a horse!LOL

pinkPanther.png
images
Z

Dear Renu,

The sixth star

alcor_mizar.jpg

they also add 'ammi miduthu ' you need to step on the stone first before seeing the star.lol

why does the girl need to step on the ammi before seeing arundhati star -any story for that

Last edited:
I have tuned in very late into this thread .

the posts of smt JJ are very informative and I got educated.

I did not know that asuras and rakshasa -there is a distinction between them and they occupied different lokas.thanks JJ ji

simlarly why sani gets eswaran status -thanks RRji.

we hope to see more threads started by JJ ji

they also add 'ammi miduthu ' you need to step on the stone first before seeing the star.lol

why does the girl need to step on the ammi before seeing arundhati star -any story for that
It is a surprise that you don't know the significance for so many years! :)

The girl should be as strong as the stone in 'kaRpu'. Hope you understand now!

It is a surprise that you don't know the significance for so many years! :)

The girl should be as strong as the stone in 'kaRpu'. Hope you understand now!

point taken. not understand why she should do that before seeing the star.she can see the star otherwise also without being strong as stone.lol

One more I got from the 'net':

For Krish Sir: Why the bride steps on a stone (ammi)

''இந்தக் கல்லைப் போல் நிலையாக நின்று உன் எதிரிகளைச் சகித்துக் கொள். இது பெண்ணிற்கு கற்பையும் ஆணுக்கு

ஒழுக்கத்தையும் புகட்டுகின்றது. கல் எப்படி எதையும் தாங்குமோ அதுபோல் வாழ்கையிலும் இன்ப துன்பங்களைக் கண்டு

கலங்காமல் உறுதியான கொள்கைகளைக் கடைப்பிடித்து நடக்கவேண்டும் என்று உணர்த்துகிறது''

So, stepping on ammi is for having strong principles always and seeing the star is to remember 'kaRpu neRi'. :)

The reason is simple....its a warning for the groom...that is "If you do not behave well...I will hit your head with the Ammi till you see stars"LOL

Dear Janaki Ji,

Even in cartoons animals walk on 2 feet..

Pink Panther for example...also there used to be a cartoon called Quick Draw Mc Graw where he is a horse but rides a horse!LOL

pinkPanther.png
images
Z

Correct They are 'Toons only - the kid's stuff - may have fans . Are they they fit to worshiped like Hanuman Do they Bhakthas?

The reason is simple....its a warning for the groom...that is "If you do not behave well...I will hit your head with the Ammi till you see stars"LOL

That is why perhaps they say "kal" aanaalum kanavan. For a moment let us keep aside renukaji's definition of Kal here.

The entire artice which appeared in The Hindu today you can see in the link This is intelectually stimulating . I see a similarty in the sense this address the same points that are raised in "Ravana Return" of this forum The A portion that is of interest to us is in 'drag'

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rc...HvwE2R4e2bHHL_uEeGcnMhA&bvm=bv.82001339,d.dGY

This is as much the result of an opening up of the notion of diversities as its reinforcement. Positivism, by emphasising the singularity of Truth, had differentiated between history as the embodiment of the Truth and mythology as its opposite, implicitly fictitious. The use of ‘myth’ for mythology was especially conducive to this misunderstanding. The evolving vision, however, looks at mythology too as comprising ‘facts’, although of a different order than the facts of historical events. Mythology actually has a much wider reach in all human societies than historical facts have and requires a much subtler comprehension. Thus, the study of mythologies of different societies and cultures brings to the surface a whole range of values they had imbibed over the millennia underneath the overarching good vs. evil syndrome. So too with the study of the arts — theatre, poetry, paintings... The Positivist postulate of mythology as implicitly fictitious is the reason for the anxiety in projecting mythological stories as historical events, leading to absurd claims like the existence of nuclear bombs, stem cell research and head transplantation in ancient India. One wonders why Indian rulers, in possession of nuclear weapons, incessantly kept losing one battle after another to a host of invaders throughout histor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back