• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Occasional Piece of Interesting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
..he only has one wife!LOL
, Thats very correct Dr.RenukaJi, but the childrens are the reals Brats!! The first one ....OMG... even the rag picker has one in his hands... When ever i am standing in a busstop or railway station(local) i watch the people getting down... every one will immidiately browse their pockets, bags, handbags and retrieve this one and put it to their ears, some even while getting down will be speaking thru their headphones... 99.99% people would be conversing... this much impact i have not seen from any other gadget!!!

So many people lose their lives walking across the tracks while conversing and by the time they realise of the oncoming train it is over.. So sad..

, Thats very correct Dr.RenukaJi, but the childrens are the reals Brats!! The first one ....OMG... even the rag picker has one in his hands... When ever i am standing in a busstop or railway station(local) i watch the people getting down... every one will immidiately browse their pockets, bags, handbags and retrieve this one and put it to their ears, some even while getting down will be speaking thru their headphones... 99.99% people would be conversing... this much impact i have not seen from any other gadget!!!

So many people lose their lives walking across the tracks while conversing and by the time they realise of the oncoming train it is over.. So sad..

When I attend any medical meetings..I see all doctors trying to record all lectures with their mobiles etc.

Earphones are really bad for hearing and increases excessive bacteria build up and infections of ear canal.

DANGEROUS VIRUS --- Please read.

There is a dangerous virus being passed around electronically, orally,
and by hand. This virus is called Worm-Overload-Recreational-Killer
(WORK).

If you receive WORK from any of your colleagues, your boss, or anyone
else via any means DO NOT TOUCH IT. This virus will wipe out your
private life completely.

If you should come into contact with WORK, go to the nearest grocery store, purchase the antidote known as Work-Isolating-Neutralizer-Extract (WINE), Bothersome-Employer- Elimination-Rebooter (BEER) or my personal favorite, Victim-Of-Doing- Krappy-Administrative-Stuff (VODKA). Take the antidote repeatedly until WORK has been completely eliminated from your system.

You should forward this warning to 5 friends. If you do not have 5
friends, you have already been infected and WORK is controlling your
life.

But do not stress; there is a vaccine available... RETIREMENT!!!

This is how health and pharma industry multiply and survive. Create or encourage conditions for existing diseases to thrive or new diseases evolve in virulent form. Spend billions on drug development and trials, and make multi billions by selling the cure to all whether they have disease or not (call them disease prone) with the help of WHO and pliable governments and NGOs. Aids, HIV etc. are on the decline even without the use of these expensive medicines (are they not lifestyle diseases?).

I have suggested to my daughter, a research consultant, to advise the following to the mobile companies:
1. Ear canal anti bacterial spray before use of ear phone or day long spray to be used after brushing teeth in the morning.
2. Anti fungal, anti bacteria ear phones that will kill bacteria by UV light.
3. Special chewing gum which will transmit sound through the teeth.
4. Receiver implant which in addition will improve the look and face value and hide the blemishes.

If we don't have problems to solve, we will create problems.

When I attend any medical meetings..I see all doctors trying to record all lectures with their mobiles etc.

Earphones are really bad for hearing and increases excessive bacteria build up and infections of ear canal.

dear Members,

Greetings. some thoughts which came to me ...thru the net for you all.

எனது உடல் நலத்திற்கு நன்றி
எனது அறிவு நலத்திற்கு நன்றி
எனது மன நலத்திற்கு நன்றி
எனது மகிழ்ச்சிக்கு நன்றி
எனது செல்வத்திற்கு நன்றி
எனது வேலைக்கு நன்றி
எனது இசைவான குடும்பத்திற்கு நன்றி
எனது உறவினர்க்கு நன்றி
எனது நண்பர்களுக்கு நன்றி
எனது தெய்வீக உறைவிடத்திற்கு நன்றி
எனது தெய்வீக மனப்பாங்கிற்கு நன்றி
எனது திறமைகளுக்கு நன்றி
எனது தெய்வீக சூழலுக்கு நன்றி
என்னைச் சுற்றியுள்ள உயிரற்ற அனைத்துக்கும் நன்றி.
தினசரி கூறுங்கள் .............

Food without which we cannot survive can be....

உணவு !!1.குறை கூறாதீர்கள் !! இகழ்ந்து கொண்டே உண்ணப்படும் உணவு உடலில் போனதும் நஞ்சாக மாறிவிடும்.
2. அன்போடும், குடும்பத்தினர் மகிழ்வோடும் உண்ண வேண்டும் என்ற விருப்பில் தயாரிக்கப்படும் உணவே சுவையைத்தரும்.
3. வெறுப்புடன் சமைத்தாலும், அன்பற்று பரிமாறினாலும், இகழ்ந்து கொண்டே உண்டாலும் அவ்வுணவு உடலுக்குள் ஒட்டாது, நோய் வரும்.
4.உணவில் மிச்சம் வைப்போர், அவசரமாக உண்போர், உணவை இகழ்ந்தபடி உண்போரை பரிசோதித்தபோது அவர்கள் உளவியல் நோயினால் பாதிக்கப்பட்டிருப்பது தெரிந்தது.
5. உணவை வாழ்த்தி உண்ணுங்கள் உணவு அமிர்தமாக மாறும், உடலில் நன்கு செரிக்கும் நிறை சக்தி கிடைக்கும்.
6. தப்பான உணவு கிடைத்தால் : மற்றவர்களின் மனத்தாலும், வாக்காலும் காயத்தினாலும் இதர சூழ்நிலைகளாலும் இவ்வுணவுக்கு ஏற்பட்டிருக்கும் அசுத்தம் நீங்கட்டும் இவ்வுணவு பரிசுத்தமடையட்டும் என்று வாழ்த்தி உண்ணுங்கள்.
7. அவரவர்க்குப் பொருந்துகிற உணவை அவரவரே கண்டு கொள்ள வேண்டும்.
8. உள்ளத்தில் அமைதியை ஏற்படுத்துகின்ற நல்லுணவையே உண்ண வேண்டும்.

Listen to the following video of Motivational speech titled Vetripadigal (Steps to Success) by Irai Anbu who is an IAS officer, Personnel and Administrative Reforms (Training), Principal Secretary to Government, Secretariat, Chennai at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?=2i2RLHiezds

My apologies if this was posted elsewhere in the forum. I ran into it just yesterday.

Last edited:
The link in #357 does not work for me (Could be my problem) - Here are are the links that worked for me

NIFT TEA Vetripadigal Speech by Dr. V. Irai Anbu IAS Part 1 ( Iraianbu ) - YouTube Part 1
NIFT TEA Vetripadigal Speech by Dr. V. Irai Anbu IAS Part 2 ( Iraianbu ) - YouTube Part 2

NIFT TEA Vetripadigal Speech by Dr. V. Irai Anbu IAS Part 3 ( Iraianbu ) - YouTube Part 3

I also want to provide this link (in a similar vein to the above address) - commencement address (2012)(inspirational speech) in Mills College by Luma Mufleh (Jordanian woman - a graduate of Smith College)
Mills College 2012 Commencement: Luma Mufleh - YouTube

Last edited:
Stop Complaining; Start Thanking

dear Members,

Greetings. some thoughts which came to me ...thru the net for you all.

எனது உடல் நலத்திற்கு நன்றி
எனது அறிவு நலத்திற்கு நன்றி
எனது மன நலத்திற்கு நன்றி
எனது மகிழ்ச்சிக்கு நன்றி
எனது செல்வத்திற்கு நன்றி
எனது வேலைக்கு நன்றி
எனது இசைவான குடும்பத்திற்கு நன்றி
எனது உறவினர்க்கு நன்றி
எனது நண்பர்களுக்கு நன்றி
எனது தெய்வீக உறைவிடத்திற்கு நன்றி
எனது தெய்வீக மனப்பாங்கிற்கு நன்றி
எனது திறமைகளுக்கு நன்றி
எனது தெய்வீக சூழலுக்கு நன்றி
என்னைச் சுற்றியுள்ள உயிரற்ற அனைத்துக்கும் நன்றி.
தினசரி கூறுங்கள் .............

An Excerpt from
The Road to Happiness
by Mac Anderson and BJ Gallagher
When I travel on business, I like to talk to the taxi drivers who take me from the airport to my hotel, or to a convention center, or to a restaurant. Taxi drivers are often immigrants with interesting personal histories and unusual cultural backgrounds. I ask them how long they've been in America, how they chose which city to live in, and what they like best about where they live. Of course, I also ask them for advice on good local restaurants and any special attractions they'd recommend to a visitor. I've had some great experiences on my travels, thanks to the advice of taxi drivers!
On one trip about ten years ago, I was making conversation with the taxi driver, asking him my usual questions about how he came to live where he lived. Then I asked him a hypothetical question: "If you could live anywhere in the world-and if money was no object-where would you live?"
Without hesitating even for a second, he replied, "I live in my heart. So it really doesn't matter where my body lives. If I am happy inside, then I live in paradise, no matter where my residence is."
I felt humbled and a little foolish for my question. Of course he was right-happiness is an inside job. He had reminded me of something I already knew, but had forgotten. If you can't find happiness inside yourself, you'll never find it in the outside world, no matter where you move. Wherever you go, there you are. You take yourself with you.

I am grateful for the wisdom of that taxi driver.And I'm grateful for all the wisdom others have shared with me about how to be happy

Listen to the following video of Motivational speech titled Vetripadigal (Steps to Success) by Irai Anbu who is an IAS officer, Personnel and Administrative Reforms (Training), Principal Secretary to Government, Secretariat, Chennai at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?=2i2RLHiezds

My apologies if this was posted elsewhere in the forum. I ran into it just yesterday.

I am realy happy to see some of you are interest in IriAnbu ..whose calibre is verywell known to some of us..

TVK

Last edited:

Whirlpool-Galaxy_a.jpg

22 Sept. 2012
Greenwich Royal Observatory Announces 2012 Astronomy Photos Contest Winners.

You have seen those beautiful images of space taken by cameras on spacecrafts like Hubble,Cassini and Curiosity. But, can ordinary humans take great astronomy photos right from the home on Earth?.

The fourth annual 2012 Astronomy Photographer of the Year competition, organized by the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, England, celebrates these terrestrial shutterbugs. Prizes were awarded to amateur and professional photographers from 12 countries, including two who were only 13 years old.

The entries, which were judged by a panel of astronomers, journalists and historians, were placed into four categories, with three additional special prizes. Photographers could compete for the title in Earth and Space, Our Solar System, Deep Space and Young Astronomy Photographer of the Year— special prizes were awarded for People in Space, Best Newcomer, Robotic Scope Image of the Year.

Australia-based photographer Martin Pugh took top honors with his "M51-The Whirlpool Galaxy," which also took away the title for "Deep Space." This was his second win in the competition.
Huffingtonpost

Last edited:
I am realy happy to see some of you are interest in IriAnbu ..whose calibre is verywell known to some of us..

TVK
After a long time, we seem to be having a bureaucrat who appears genuine, speaks honestly, intelligently, and with no hidden agenda !!

Last edited:
Pleiades.jpg

Another winning entry in the “
The fourth annual 2012 Astronomy Photographer of the Year” competition, organized by the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, England, is the Pleiades Cluster captured by another young boy named Jacob von Chorus (Canada, aged 15)

Among the nearest star clusters to Earth, the stars of the Pleiades {Messier 45} aree asily seen with the naked eye in the Northern hemisphere`s winter skies.

The Pleiades are a prominent cluster of stars seen in winter in the Northern Hemisphere. The Pleiades are called the Seven Sisters in Greek mythology, but this beautiful photograph reveals many more of the hot young stars that comprise the cluster.

Tamil culture recognized 6 prominent stars in the Pleiades cluster and called them Krittika, and the legend goes that Lord Murugan was raised by six sisters known as the Karththikai Pengal and thus God Murugan came to be known as Kartikeyan .

Huffingtonpost

Last edited:
The Gita is fast emerging as a clinical tool to treat certain psychological problems. Dr M.S. Reddy, head of psychiatry, Asha Hospital, who conducted a research on ‘Psychotherapy — Insights from BhagvadGita’, says, “As is the case with any successful model of therapeutic intervention, which needs to be individualised for maximum benefit, the psychotherapeutic approach practiced in Bhagvad Gita also has its place in the repertoire of psychotherapeutic models.”

The Gita is a useful tool in the hands of an experienced therapist when applied judiciously for specific problems of distress, says Dr Reddy. His research work appeared in the latest issue of the Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine.

Describing the therapy process, …. Dr Reddy says, “What is morei mportant and relevant is not what it is ( the dialogue between Arjuna and Krishna) but what transpired in the 18 chapters of Bhagvad Gita.”

Also important is the process and content of this dialogue, its very usefulness as a model of counselling and possible contemporary application to current day psychological therapies, especially, but not limited to, in the Indian context.

The clinical use of the Gita gains significance as the applicability and usefulness of Western models in the Indian context is often taken with a pinch of salt due to varying cultural attitudes.

“The Gita has laid equal emphasis on logic, action, renunciation, power of self, knowledge, wisdom, trust, universality and immortality of human spirit. This appears to me a ‘person-centered therapy’,” Dr Reddy said.

Psychotherapy - Deccan Chronicle

Last edited:
பாட்டி! நீ இனிமேல் கஷ்டப்பட வேண்டாம் உனக்காகவே விஞ்ஞானிகள்
SquattyPotty கண்டுபிடித்து இருக்கிறார்கள். இதோ இந்தப்படத்தை பாரு!

Squatty Potty

Dear Naina Sir,

The squatty potty news is circulating in e-mails! So, we need the foreigners to 'tell' us that the Indian way is the best!

Adding a stool (!) is still a problem for pAttis because they need to sit on the seat used by many to sh**!!

P.S: The word 'squatty' is not yet added in the Google dictionary!! :spy:

Thanks for the info on squatty potty.
A patti. :)

Some more info:

Around Christmas time in 1978, President Jimmy Carter in USA came down with a severe case of hemorrhoids. The pain was so bad that the President had to stay off from work.Later, Dr. Michael Freilich, explained the president's ailment this way:"We were not meant to sit on toilets," he said, "we were meant to squat in the field." Michael Freilich isn't the first doctor to suggest that sitting on toilets — ever since the invention of the flush toilet in 1591— might be unhealthy.

By the 1960s and'70s, doctors were arguing that human physiology is better suited to the squat. According to Bockus's Gastroenterology, a standard medical text from 1964, "the ideal posture is the squatting position, with the thighs fixed upon the abdomen."

There's now some empirical evidence for the claim that toilet posture affects your body. When it comes to hemorrhoids—a painful swelling of the veins in the anal canal that affects half of all Americans - research suggests that one may want to get one’s butt off the toilet.

The main cause of Hemorrhoids is straining during bowel movement. Straining increases the pressure in the abdomen, causing the veins that line the anus to swell. In hemorrhoid patients, those veins stay swollen and sometimes bleed.In theory, squatting might stave off hemorrhoids by making defecation easier,reducing the need to strain and decreasing abdominal pressure.

An Israeli doctor named Dov Sikirov tested this idea for a 2003 study published in Digestive Diseases and Sciences. He had several dozen patients go to the toilet in each of three different positions: sitting ona 16-inch-high toilet, sitting on a 12-inch-high toilet, and squatting over a plastic container. He asked his subjects to record how long each bowel movement took and rate the effort required on a four-point scale ranging from effortless to difficult. Sikirov found that, when squatting, subjects averaged a mere 51 seconds to move their bowels, versus 130 seconds when sitting on a high toilet. And as they moved from a sit to a squat, subjects were more likely to rate the experience as easier. In 2009,a group of Japanese doctors extended Sikirov's findings and found that the subjects were straining less when they squatted.

Inventor Jonathan Isbit runs an online business selling Nature's Platform—a homemade, $150 devicethat fits over toilets to make them more like holes in the ground. For 28years—from his junior year at Yale in 1970 to the moment when he completed the first Nature's Platform prototype in 1998—Jonathan Isbit said he "perched,"i.e. squatting on the rim of toilet seats.

To verify these claims, Daniel Lametti, a journalist for the online journal Slate, decided to try it - each morning for a week, following a bowl of corn flakes and a cup of coffee.

Besides tipping over, there's little danger in squatting over a modern sit toilet. But squatting on the toilet seat is not for everybody. Even when Daniel was holding on to a towel rack, the situation felt precarious. He forged ahead, pushing through the week—or, as it turned out, not ‘pushing’: bowel movements just seemed to happen in a squat. His 10-minute routine dropped to a minute, two at the most, and within a few days his knees also stopped complaining!

Sit toilets, in the short term at least, are not likely to be replaced by the squat toilets.Americans, now fatter than ever, are having trouble standing up from a sit, never mind a squat.

dont_just_sit_there

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back