• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Musings/Confusions of a TamBram Woman seeking answers – Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read 'Indhu Madham Engey Pogiradhu' written by Agnihotram Sri Ramanjua Tatachariar published by Nakkeeran Publications a few years ago. You will get many interesting facts.

This man was Vice-Chancellor of Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeeth, Tirupathi and he hailed from Kumbakonam. His ancestors were traditionally archakas in Tirumala temple for so many centuries. So he has spoken authoritatively on many vital issues of Hinduism.
hi pannavalan sir,
just for your information....profeessor Ramanuja tactachaiar was my advaita professor in Kendriya sanskrit vidyapeetha..i know him

personnaly very well.....he was my guru in advaitha...but he is ardent SV...i know his whole family...he is not from kumbakonam...

he is from navalpakkam near vandavasi.....even his daughter was my classmate in vidyapeetha..she is also lecturer in same

vidyapeetha.......

regards
tbs

I envy you.

Thank you sir,

Last 2 years back i head about satabhishekam or something....when i was in chennai ...i talked to him.....he was one of my ph.d

external examiner.....i know whole family...even they know me....he had 5 daughters and a son....he was very pious and great

Mahaan....he got many awards...even president's sanskrit scholar award......HE IS REALLY A GREAT MAHAAN....but i dont know

about his death....sorry for that....becoz im in not in india now.....

regards
tbs

When he was Vice-Chancellor of Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeeth, Tirupathi, I was living in Tirupathi. So, I have heard about his achievements and scholarship. But I did not ever get an opportunity to meet him. Now I realize I should have tried to meet him at least once.

When he was Vice-Chancellor of Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeeth, Tirupathi, I was living in Tirupathi. So, I have heard about his achievements and scholarship. But I did not ever get an opportunity to meet him. Now I realize I should have tried to meet him at least once.
hi pannvalan sir,

still his 2 daughters are in Thirupathi....one daughter is still working in Rasthriya sanskrit vidyapeetha....she was my classmate...when

he was Vice chancellor RSV ...i met him in his home....then after retirement ...he moved to french indological institute in pondichery

as director.....my life moved to army... then finally i ended up in the great USA......i never met him again....he was honoured as

MAHOMAHOPADYA......THE GREATEST AWARD FOR ANY SANSKRIT SCHOLAR.......HE WAS SCHOLAR IN NYAYA/VYAKARANA/MIMAMSA

AND VEDANTA....EVEN THOUGH GREAT SV....he was very great in advaita vedanta..........

regards
tbs

regards
tbs

Last edited:
I earnestly request all our beloved members through this post

Please do not address me Sir

If any of you want to add Sri before my handle name do not again add 'ji' at the end

Well, this is a post reflecting a few questions I have been having as I was growing up as a girl, woman wife and a mother (I am not going to post all the questions I have in my mind – only a few now) in a Tamil Brahmin family and huge set of relatives. Based on the reaction and answers, I may either participate or silently whither away.

Actually I was out of the country for the past few days and due to my work, could not visit the site. After seeing the recent posts after returning today and the kind of in-tolerance for different/modern/opposing (what ever you name it) views, suggestions etc, I was a bit skeptical to start this discussion – But I thought I will give a shot.

Some may oppose/condemn/throw brick bats telling that it is fashionable now a days for the woman to question everything.(one of the members in a post called Brahmin women as selfish and holy cows) .

But, esteemed members - let me tell you - it is very difficult to blindly follow practices without conviction. To have conviction and belief, one should be convinced and have answers for all the “whys”. Unfortunately, the kind of education we have been imparted in the past 3-4 decades is towards getting employment and money – It is a harsh reality that without money , no body is going to look at you – even the relatives will look down upon you inspite of the fact that the family which is poor knows and follows all so called “Brahmin Practices” imparted by our earlier generations. Because of this kind of education towards meeting practical needs of bread, butter and getting married, I ( and I can say I represent a portion of middle class Tamil Brahmin woman who had to fight external and internal discrimination ) have no ideas on what Vedas, Upanishads, sastras , manu smrithis are all about – believe me I heard about Manu for the first time when I was over 21 after reading a DK article quoting verses from Manu Smrithi.

The first set of questions is about the discrimination of women in Tamil Brahmin practices and customs.To quote a few which always bothers me are:

• Women are not supposed to eat during Vrathas, but is perfectly alright and in fact mandatory for men folk to have tiffan before yearly Avani Avittam. It seems men are not supposed to be hungry during Poonal changing function(that’s what my MIL says) . I know one tamil Brahmin lady who had come to visit in-laws had to catch a train at 9 PM on Karadayan Nonbu and that year karadayan Nonbu was at night 8 PM. The whole day she was not allowed to eat and she had to pack,make Karadai,cook for husband and inlaws , attend to chores and then had to do Nonbu and rushed for the train. She fell ill for two days! Whereas the men of the family ate three times a day happily and was commanding for their coffee and other sevices and the MIL was insisting that she should not eat for the sake of welfare and long life of the husband. I find it difficult to believe and follow such practices.Also I do not find any festival in which a man prays for the welfare of the woman!

• When a wife’s relatives (Siblings, Parents etc) die, the woman is allowed to grieve for only 3 days where as even a far off Dayathi’s death on husband’s side some times is grieved for the whole year. In one of the incidents I know , in my relatives circle, for a woman , Diwali came after 6 days after one of her parent’s death. She was forced to make sweets, take ganga Snan and celebrate the festival on the reason that as per sastras, a woman’s theetu will be over in 3 days and if she does not celebrate, it is not good for husband’s family. I felt so bad on the insensitiveness shown. The love and attachment towards one’s parents is same for a man and a woman.
Typical answers I get when I ask elders is this – This is what our tradition is and we should not ask questions – more so definitely not by a woman.

Pray, why should I believe in our traditions and culture which is very insensitive and biased towards comforts of a man only? I am also sometimes irked equating women to amman , mahalaksmi and all deities and then treating her differently on the day to day practices.

May I know the views of the esteemed members on this? Considering the fact that the women membership and participation , more so from the young and middle aged tam bram woman is far less compared to Men folk, I am curious to know the answers/views.

Thank you for your patience
Namskarams
Revathi

Madam,

Sorry. I just want to respond to posting in the thread on "Brahmin Girls marrying NBs" in which you had talked on cleaning the "echal thatt" etc. (That thread has been closed)

I fully approve you of your obsevations therien. I have relatives hailing from Tirunelveli, Trivandrum and I can certainly vouch that echal, theetu observations are quite lax there. There lies the rub.In fact I am told that Madwas' observation are far more stringent than Tamil smarthas. Kerala namboothiris are a class apart.

With regards,
Swami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back