• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Musings/Confusions of a TamBram Woman seeking answers – Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

2.Whereas Avani Avittam is a Vaidgha Festival - Sastras talk about this.In fact Men are supposed to be following Stricter rituals than the women as per Shri Nara and Shri Sangom.But somehow(??), the current practice is different.In my family , my MIL says that "Tiffen sappitu than Poonal Mathikkanum".Even in Poonal functions, I have seen the Poonal boys will be having Pongal first before Brahmopadesam.(We girls will be longing to be invited to eat that pongal - No way! - We will never be invited:) )
Smt. Revathy,

Permit me to say something after your nice epilogue.

The pongal before brahmopadesam is supposed to signify to the boy that his years of playful childhood is ending. So he has his last party with his playmates, before leaving them all. Young girls are also allowed to participate and eat along with the boys. I have read somewhere that the scriptures envisaged the mother also eating with her son; but today, the mother and father are required to (coffee) fast till they complete the Upadesam. The mother was allowed to do so because she would not be seeing her son for a number of years - till he returns as a young man, from the house of his guru.

In marriages, the bride - at least that is our custom - has a similar function, eating pongal, sweets, etc., along with her friends. This is called "thOzhip pongal". Boys might be eager (!) to be invited to this, considering the marriage age of girls today, but they are not permitted. The (silk) sari presented by the bride's maternal uncle is called "thOzhippongal sari/pudavai" and is worn just before this function, till she changes to the 9 yds pudavai later on. (Of course, with increased prosperity now, there are separate saris for Unjal, muhurtam (not kooRai), etc.)

The more orthodox among us do not allow the groom to eat tiffin till the laaja (puffed rice) homam is over; he has to subsist on coffee, milk, fruits, etc. only, on that memorable day till the noon meals!

Last edited:
Shri rcscwc,

Personally I would like to learn more about the practices of brahmin community speaking other than Tamil Language.

Please go through the following extracts of Rig Veda

"The rejection of adoption on the earlier annals of history can be evidenced from the followingextract from Rig Veda: "oh Agni, no son is he who spring from others,"

1 It even went to the extent of observing that considering sons Bi gottenby others as onesown was the "path of fools and such a child
shouldnot be taken nor even be though of in the mind"

2 this condemnation of secondary sons is further manifest from the
grihayasrtras, which providehe code for domestic rituals in the ancient
Vedic society, overtly excluded rituals for the taking of a secondary son.

With the advent of Dharmashastras, the institution of adoption eventually
received societal acceptance and became ingrained in Hindu mores
there by altering the concept of son ship forever,"

But today among Tamil Brahmin community adoption is practiced. I asked a purohit but he couldn't give me proper answer. What is your opinion and how the same is practiced among your sect of our community?

All the best
Please appreciare the fact that RV society was simple. Not many complications.

But then Manu's laws post date RV and they do provide for adoption. In Mahabharata, sons are classified in 8 categories. Acoording to that Karan would be a legitimate son of Pandu. Krishna did not offer him the throne lightly, it had sound legal footings. Subsequent to Manu, issue of adoption has been discussed by other law givers like Apastambha, Vishnu, Vashihsta etc.

Thank you Shri Sangom Sir.

Of course, I now understand the reason (I do not think any body in our family circle would know about this reason)

Yes , in my wedding, both my husband and my self had to fast till 1 PM (Including my Parents - I am not sure what my inlaws did)

Namaskarams
Revathi

OK, Thanks for the posting with replies to my original query- Shri Nara, Shri Sangom, Shri Kunjuppu, Smt Valli, Shri Brahmanyan, Shri tbs, Shri srvana, Shrii Pannvalan, Smt Happy Hindu, Shri RVR.I infer the following....

Dear Revathi,

Was reading a book 'Purushasukta' by Swami Harshananda (RK Mutt), wherein he explains that customs and social systems can be given up or substituted (he has quoted Manusmrithi and Yagnavalkyasmrithi in that regard to say that such changes were permitted).

Unfortunately over the years, no one has thot about introducing changes (as allowed by the scriptures itself). Instead we try to go back in time. Some also end up feeling guilty if they cannot live up to what is expected of them. And rituals sometimes become a tool in the hands of the MILs to inconvenince the DILs as much as possible. Anyways, from what i understand so far (like sri nara says), the key is not to feel guilty if one cannot do things as expected. Afterall the entity called God, understands us better than we understand ourselves.

It was nice talking to you Revathi. Hope you see you around more often. Around me i see some friends fasting for 'Soora Samharam'. They will break their fast tomorrow when the brave Muruga marries the lovely Valli (Kataragama shd be agog with festivity)...all about faith, all in faith...

Regards.

Thank you Shri Sangom Sir.

Of course, I now understand the reason (I do not think any body in our family circle would know about this reason)

Yes , in my wedding, both my husband and my self had to fast till 1 PM (Including my Parents - I am not sure what my inlaws did)

Namaskarams
Revathi

Dear Revathi,

Further to my earlier post I wish to add this.
Well, First, let us understand, what is a "Vratham". Though I have not gone into the subject in deep, I had tried to understand the subject by reading some informative articles, which I wish to share. The word Vratham is derived from the Vedic term Rtam - though it has has many meanings we can take the meaning as "Virtue" here, and the meaning of " Vratham" is "Vow". "Vratha Dheeksha" is "Vow of abstinence" taken for performing a ritual, "Vedic yagna" or otherwise, to be observed strictly by the "Vratha Kartha" during the entire duration of the ritual. Any Vrutham or Nonbu in Tamil, is a voluntary ritual for the person who wish to observe. If there is any reservation on the rituals he or she need not observe the same. Personally I do not observe any vrutham except during Pitru Karmas that I perform out of respect to my Parents.

Another important aspect about equality between husband and wife in Hindu Society. As per the Sastras, all Vedic Rituals should be performed as Dampathi (Husband and wife). "Man could perform Vedic Sacrifices if he had his wife by his side". So, there is no prohibition as per Sastras for imparting Vedic knowledge to women. Many institutions like Arya Samaj are imparting Vedic knowledge to women at par with men. In Bangalore I have seen a woman Acharya from Arya Samaj is sent for performing rituals. Numerous writings on this subject by eminent authors are available in net. However I fully agree with you that there are differences in our Society between Husband and wife in status, that we have to go a long way to bring equality between them.

Your thread has attracted more than 100 responses which itself has shown the importance of the subject started by you. Thanks.

Best wishes,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Please appreciare the fact that RV society was simple. Not many complications.

But then Manu's laws post date RV and they do provide for adoption. In Mahabharata, sons are classified in 8 categories. Acoording to that Karan would be a legitimate son of Pandu. Krishna did not offer him the throne lightly, it had sound legal footings. Subsequent to Manu, issue of adoption has been discussed by other law givers like Apastambha, Vishnu, Vashihsta etc.

Sir,

Our scriptures are classified in the following order.

First -All the four Vedas - The ultimate philosophies which have to be followed without any questioning

Second - Upanishads & Brahmasutram - Here interpretation various among several commentators.

Third - Idhikasa Puranas and other scriptures - It is further diluted and at best are to be treated as guidelines.

Mahabarat comes under Idhikasa purana, i.e under third category and is definitely diluted. May be it only confirms that it is difficult to follow Vedas without any deviation even in those period.

I have heard the following colloquial sentences among Tamil Brahmin community at my village regularly in my younger days.

இது என்ன வேத வாக்கோ மீராம இருககிறதுக்கு Is it a word of Veda so that it has to be obeyed without any deviation?

எந்த சாஸ்தரதில சொல்லியிருக்கு இப்படிதான் செய்யணும்னு Which sastra says that it has to be done only this way.

Now I am able to realise that both the sentences have very deep meanings. If it is Vedas, it has to be obeyed without any questioning. If it is sastra, it could be compromised in actual practice.

I am really surprised a foreigner - Max Muller understood the whole thing and made the statement when recording human voice for the first time in history ""Vedas are the oldest text of the human race. And Agni Meele Purohitam is the first verse of Rig Veda"

It is the duty of all the brahmins here to preserve the Vedas.

All the best

Dear Shri RVR,

I hear the above sentiment quite often. But I have not yet clearly understood as to what is meant by "preserving" the vedas. No one seems to tell that we should study, understand, discuss the contents of, the vedas, just as we would tell our youngsters about English, Mathematics or say the sciences.

Hence it appears to me that we want to simply keep the vedas safely. The best and most hilarious (to me) of this type of attitude to vedas is in the Kalady Sankara asramam. A printed copy of each of the four vedas is kept enclosed in a secure glass case on a pedestal. A "kuthuvilakku" burns before this 'deity'; the glass case is adorned with sandal and kumkum bindis and garlanded, just like an idol of some deity. A name board prominently displays the name of the veda. What better way to "preserve" the vedas?

I am reminded of a proverb in which a certain four-legged animal deals with a coconut முழு தேங்காய், in such an approach; not knowing what to do or how to make use of it, the said animal merely tries in vain but does not leave it.

This is also like the "cargo cult" referred to by Shri Nara in http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/philosophy-scriptures/4970-advaita-its-fallacies-6.html#post60702

Dear Shri RVR,

But I have not yet clearly understood as to what is meant by "preserving" the vedas.

Vedas are based on sounds believed to be the "Moochu Katru" of God Parameswaran and has Lot to deal with
Phonatic value.These expressive phonatic sounds cannot be brought into printed books.But the books are useful
to vedic pundits who had undergone rigourous Vedadhyayanam as a refrence material.But tese books are of no
value to people who questions how to preserve vedas.Preserving Vedas actually means to undergo Vedhaahyayanam
under an able guru and to recite repeatedly the learned one daily so that vedam is preserved in its original form
with actual sounds and to transform it in original form to their wards.

Preserving means -

1. Safeguarding their sources
2. Encouraging/promoting their continuity of existence
3. Honouring the 'acharyas/gurus' (masters/teachers) and 'adhdhyaayis' (scholars/the learned)
4. Learning them for the purpose of further dissemination
5. Saving them from destruction
6. Ensuring that they don't diminish in quality and value
7. Propagating them widely
8. Practising what is told therein
9. Creating new works, basing on the ideas/principles/morals contained in them
10. Affording protection to the places where they are used/recited
11. Following them in one's real life, to the extent possible

Sir,

All the best

Sri RVR ji,

I don't know what exactly in a way you are conveying your concern with respect to preserving the Vedas...

Do you mean to say that, abiding by the principles of Vedas and following the rules in our daily lives as possible without questioning & doubting its contents and revering them as holy texts of our religion, amounts to "Preserving Vedas"?

I could take it in that sense only in our present life of this Kali Yuga and believe that, you mean the same...

Dear Shri RVR,

I hear the above sentiment quite often. But I have not yet clearly understood as to what is meant by "preserving" the vedas. No one seems to tell that we should study, understand, discuss the contents of, the vedas, just as we would tell our youngsters about English, Mathematics or say the sciences.

Hence it appears to me that we want to simply keep the vedas safely. The best and most hilarious (to me) of this type of attitude to vedas is in the Kalady Sankara asramam. A printed copy of each of the four vedas is kept enclosed in a secure glass case on a pedestal. A "kuthuvilakku" burns before this 'deity'; the glass case is adorned with sandal and kumkum bindis and garlanded, just like an idol of some deity. A name board prominently displays the name of the veda. What better way to "preserve" the vedas?

I am reminded of a proverb in which a certain four-legged animal deals with a coconut முழு தேங்காய், in such an approach; not knowing what to do or how to make use of it, the said animal merely tries in vain but does not leave it.

This is also like the "cargo cult" referred to by Shri Nara in http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/philosophy-scriptures/4970-advaita-its-fallacies-6.html#post60702

Sri Sangom Sir,

I fully accept that the word `preserve' is a general statement. Probably we can elaborate further and make it more specific.

In my younger days, I have seen an annual Veda Sammalenam event conducted under the guidance of Veda Dharma Paripaalana Sabha in the villages. By rotation, it use to be conducted in my native village. Scholars in all the four vedhas use to come and explain the vedhas in details. I think none of the Tamil Brahmins follow `Adharvana Veda' and some expert Kerala Namboodri use to come specifically for the event and explain it. Entire funding of the event use to be shared by members of our community in my village. Now it has stopped completely since we have all migrated to cities and/or foreign countries.

Last week I was fortunate to attend a `Veda Paaraayanam' at a relatives house. Few American/Australian families and also some local young software professionals attended the function. Vedic Scholars came from Sanskrit college, Chennai. They were mostly brahmacharis in the age group of 20 to 25, very sincere in their profession and are not all money minded. They told us that they don't go for regular rituals but go only for Veda Paaraayanam. They know the meaning of the vedas as they study the whole thing as part their academic curriculum at post graduate level at Sanskrit college.

I wish we revive the vedha sammelanam in cities since we have large concentration of our members. We can make it a three or four day function. Apart from Paaraayanam, we can also have some discourses by experts where we can get the essence of all the vedas.

We can do the above for the Lokakshemaa. In the past, Kings have supported vedic scholars but today Government will not support. But well to do members of our community can support the event.

My thoughts are just a starting point and all others can suggest further. Nobody seems to know the origin of vedas and it may not have an end also. But still we can do something to support it during our life time.

All the best

Last edited:
Sir,

Our scriptures are classified in the following order.

First -All the four Vedas - The ultimate philosophies which have to be followed without any questioning

Second - Upanishads & Brahmasutram - Here interpretation various among several commentators.

Third - Idhikasa Puranas and other scriptures - It is further diluted and at best are to be treated as guidelines.

Mahabarat comes under Idhikasa purana, i.e under third category and is definitely diluted. May be it only confirms that it is difficult to follow Vedas without any deviation even in those period.

I have heard the following colloquial sentences among Tamil Brahmin community at my village regularly in my younger days.

இது என்ன வேத வாக்கோ மீராம இருககிறதுக்கு Is it a word of Veda so that it has to be obeyed without any deviation?

எந்த சாஸ்தரதில சொல்லியிருக்கு இப்படிதான் செய்யணும்னு Which sastra says that it has to be done only this way.

Now I am able to realise that both the sentences have very deep meanings. If it is Vedas, it has to be obeyed without any questioning. If it is sastra, it could be compromised in actual practice.

I am really surprised a foreigner - Max Muller understood the whole thing and made the statement when recording human voice for the first time in history ""Vedas are the oldest text of the human race. And Agni Meele Purohitam is the first verse of Rig Veda"

All the best

1. Vedas
2. Brahmanas
3. Aranyakas
4. Upanishads, the real philosophical works. All sutra are post upanishadic.

Ramayana and Mahabharata are seperate poems. Puranas are histories.

Other works like Manu's laws, etc are secular.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sri RVR ji,

I don't know what exactly in a way you are conveying your concern with respect to preserving the Vedas...

Do you mean to say that, abiding by the principles of Vedas and following the rules in our daily lives as possible without questioning & doubting its contents and revering them as holy texts of our religion, amounts to "Preserving Vedas"?

I could take it in that sense only in our present life of this Kali Yuga and believe that, you mean the same...

Ravi,

I am happy you asked this doubts.

If you read my replies to Sri rcscwc, answers are available. For example adoption is against the philosophies of Rig Veda. Even in Mahabarat, adoption is mentioned. It means that following Vedas absolutely was not possible even during that period. It is not possible to follow during this period also.

Please see my replies to Sri Sangom Sir. We can at least learn something from the Vedas which we are not doing today. Once we learn something, then we can think about the next step.

The young software professionals who attended the `Veda Paarayanam' event raised lot of queries and at the end of the event wanted us to organize similar events in the future with discourses. I am sure youngsters like you will definitely get involved in such efforts once you understand the whole thing.

All the best

Last edited:
Preserving means -

1. Safeguarding their sources
2. Encouraging/promoting their continuity of existence
3. Honouring the 'acharyas/gurus' (masters/teachers) and 'adhdhyaayis' (scholars/the learned)
4. Learning them for the purpose of further dissemination
5. Saving them from destruction
6. Ensuring that they don't diminish in quality and value
7. Propagating them widely
8. Practising what is told therein
9. Creating new works, basing on the ideas/principles/morals contained in them
10. Affording protection to the places where they are used/recited
11. Following them in one's real life, to the extent possible

Thanks Pannvalan,

As usual, you have shown your brilliance.

All the best

Ravi,

I am happy you asked this doubts.

If you read my replies to Sri rcscwc, answers are available. For example adoption is against the philosophies of Rig Veda. Even in Mahabarat, adoption is mentioned. It means that following Vedas absolutely was not possible even during that period. It is not possible to follow during this period also.

Please see my replies to Sri Sangom Sir. We can at least learn something from the Vedas which we are not doing today. Once we learn something, then we can think about the next step.

The young software professionals who attended the `Veda Paarayanam' event raised lot of queries and at the end of the event wanted us to organize similar events in the future with discourses. I am sure youngsters like you will definitely get involved in such efforts once you understand the whole thing.

All the best

Sri RVR ji,

Yes, I got your reply to Sri rcscwc ji and to Sri Sangom ji.....My post was exactly at the moment Sri Pannvalan ji posted his explanations..

Its true that even the principles of Vedas can not be fully adhered to in our lives. That's the sense in my previous post too, stating, following its rules in our daily lives as possible (obviously as much as we could learn). But off course we can refrain from discarding the purity of the Vedas and can still continue to honor its values.

"Veda Paarayanam" event is the one I always yearn to witness...But unfortunately never had such experience.

If you could manage to conduct such "Veda Paarayanam" in Chennai city in coordination with our members, I would be glad to contribute monetarily as possible, so that I can have some satisfaction of having contributed something in preserving the values of the Vedas and for the discourses pertaining to it, doesn't matter the possibilities of my attendance.

Sri RVR ji,

"Veda Paarayanam" event is the one I always yearn to witness...But unfortunately never had such experience.

If you could manage to conduct such "Veda Paarayanam" in Chennai city in coordination with our members, I would be glad to contribute monetarily as possible, so that I can have some satisfaction of having contributed something in preserving the values of the Vedas and for the discourses pertaining to it, doesn't matter the possibilities of my attendance.

Thanks Ravi, Youngsters like you should get involved with these type of activities.

God willing, let us try to organise a `Vedic Sammalan' at Chennai and also other cities.

Let us have the function when you are in Chennai.

We have to thank Maharishi Veda Vyasa for compiling all the vedas and bringing it to the mankind.

Vyasa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All the best

For example adoption is against the philosophies of Rig Veda. Even in Mahabarat, adoption is mentioned. It means that following Vedas absolutely was not possible even during that period. It is not possible to follow during this period also.
Dear Shri RVR,

I have to verify whether there is any reference to adoption in the Rigveda proper. However, Aitareya Brahmana (33) - which is an appendix to Rigveda - describes Visvamitra, who had 101 sons, taking Sunassepa as adopted son with the name "devarata" (God given). In Taittiriya Samhita (Krishna Yajurveda) 7.1.8.1 there is a reference to Atri giving his only son in adoption.

Hence adoption was not unknown even in vedic times.

Thank You SMt Happy Hindu!

Shri Brahmanyan sir,

Thank you for the nice explanation.You answers also contain some answers for my future questions:

"Man could perform Vedic Sacrifices if he had his wife by his side". So, there is no prohibition as per Sastras for imparting Vedic knowledge to women

Namskarams
Revathi

Dear Shri RVR,

Dear Sri "Sangom",

These thoughts used to pass through my mind often when I read about the importance of Vedas (Sruthi) to Hindu Society.

I would like to do a bit of loud thinking on the subject. When they lost their lands, patronage and respect, poverty drove many Brahmins during my grand father's time to leave their villages to seek modern education and join Government service. Thus started a new phase in Brahmins' life. Having seen the plight of poor "learned Vedhic scholars" running about to earn his meagre coins, rice and raw bananas, none in my generation wanted to take the "risk" of putting their sons in Veda Patasala to face an unknown future. Instead they put their children in English Schools to study Macaulay's modern education. The results have proved that we were not wrong in our selection. You can see that the present generation of Brahmin families reap the benefits.
Well, let us be honest, how many parents of present generation are ready to put their Children in Veda Patasalas today to study our scriptures? Not even a single family I had known (including that of our family priest's) have sent their sons to Patasala for Vedic Education. Having seen big money in foreign Countries, the present generation of youngsters prefer to migrate to foreign Countries leaving their parents and relatives.Thus "Vedic knowledge" has become just a subject of academic discussions. Many Universities including those in USA and Europe have created special sections for the research of Vedic Knowledge.

Thanks to the munificence of Nagarathar and other rich non-brahmin families many Veda Patasalas were able to survive from extinction. Of course our Mutts were running a few Patasalas with grants from others. The conditions of life and food in our Veda Patasalas will not encourage new students to join. You can confirm this by a visit to these Patasalas and talk to students who come out after their period of education. Kanchi Paramachara Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswathi Swamigal had done a lot to improve the condition of Patasalas during his life time. Though there is a fresh awakening in the Hindu society to revive the age old education of Vedas, there are no students to study Vedas and Sastras.For example, in Karnataka, the state which had many Sanskrit Colleges is now facing lack of interest among the Students in the Study of Sanskrit and forced to close some of the premier institutions like Sri Chamarajendra Sanskrit College at Bangalore, which was imparting knowledge of Vedas and Sastras for decades. However the new Karnataka Sanskrit University, initiated by the present Government is functioning from the campus of Sri Chamrajendra Sanskrit College premises.

Interestingly people are ready to donate money and material, but not to send their children to study Vedas. Then how are we going to preserve this treasure for future. A big question indeed.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
To Revathi. madam I am having a small Q, When sumangali came to your house along with S bent you are offering manjal,kunkumam,vethilai,pagu and a ravikaithundu etc., it is said in any books,why not you are giving a small atleast a karciph to the G man . any thing prevent.pl answer.s.r.k.

Dear Sri "Sangom",

These thoughts used to pass through my mind often when I read about the importance of Vedas (Sruthi) to Hindu Society.

I would like to do a bit of loud thinking on the subject. When they lost their lands, patronage and respect, poverty drove many Brahmins during my grand father's time to leave their villages to seek modern education and join Government service. Thus started a new phase in Brahmins' life. Having seen the plight of poor "learned Vedhic scholars" running about to earn his meagre coins, rice and raw bananas, none in my generation wanted to take the "risk" of putting their sons in Veda Patasala to face an unknown future. Instead they put their children in English Schools to study Macaulay's modern education. The results have proved that we were not wrong in our selection. You can see that the present generation of Brahmin families reap the benefits.
Well, let us be honest, how many parents of present generation are ready to put their Children in Veda Patasalas today to study our scriptures? Not even a single family I had known (including that of our family priest's) have sent their sons to Patasala for Vedic Education. Having seen big money in foreign Countries, the present generation of youngsters prefer to migrate to foreign Countries leaving their parents and relatives.Thus "Vedic knowledge" has become just a subject of academic discussions. Many Universities including those in USA and Europe have created special sections for the research of Vedic Knowledge.

Thanks to the munificence of Nagarathar and other rich non-brahmin families many Veda Patasalas were able to survive from extinction. Of course our Mutts were running a few Patasalas with grants from others. The conditions of life and food in our Veda Patasalas will not encourage new students to join. You can confirm this by a visit to these Patasalas and talk to students who come out after their period of education. Kanch Paramachara Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswathi Swamigal had done a lot to improve the condition of Patasalas during his life time. Though there is a fresh awakening in the Hindu society to revive the age old education of Vedas, there are no students to study Vedas and Sastras.For example, in Karnataka, the state which had many Sanskrit Colleges is now facing lack of interest among the Students in the Study of Sanskrit and forced to close some of the premier institutions like Chamarajendra Sanskrit College at Bangalore, which was imparting knowledge of Vedas and Sastras for decades.

Interestingly people are ready to donate money and material, but not to send their children to study Vedas. Then how are we going to preserve this treasure for future. A big question indeed.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.
Dear Shri Brahmanyan,

I agree with your opinions largely. Even in our grandfather's or great grandfather's time, I would say, with all due reverence to the ancestors, what was being studied was only reciting the vedas or portions thereof by rote, and some out of the 8 vikrutis prescribed for ensuring that no mistake either in the words or the pronunciation, occurs - or even if it comes, such mistakes can be identified and corrected. The usual vikrutis taught, besides the "pada pATham" or word-by-word rendering which does not come within the vikrutis, were - jaTA, dhvaja, and ghana. One who has mastered the "ghana" rendering is called "ghanapAThi". But even these people did not take efforts to keep the entire thing in their memory nor to master the meaning.

It is true that the vaidikas were at one time in great misery and naturally they did not want their children also to suffer. I don't find anything wrong in that. But now most of us - who have crossed middle age and have a steady job, a settled family and no extra worries other than that of a normal householder, can afford to buy veda books with commentaries, get CDs of veda audio, and many other accessories which will help us obtain some familiarity with the vedas. I am not expecting every one to become an expert scholar but only an inclination to familiarise. Lack of knowledge of Sanskrit may be a difficulty for many but I feel this can be overcome with a bit of effort. But brahmins today are generally interested in the Stotras, Ramayana, Bhagavata, and at best simply reciting rudram, camakam, purushasuktam, and some more suktams, with very little effort in understanding their meaning or even the context.

Vedas can be better preserved in this way than by making a few hapless children learning them by rote in vedapatashalas and turning out more number of mere uninformed veda-reciters, I think.

Some learned member has expressed the oft-repeated greatness of vedas being "apaurusheya"- superhuman or divine origin or revelation. But if one looks at some of the suktas in the rigveda itself, the contents are, prima facie, obscene; I had given some examples in another thread but now I am unable to get it through the 'search'. Even if the vedas are not divine but compositions of very mortal people, they are perhaps the oldest texts transmitted orally for millennia and just that, their age, makes it worth reading and understanding the vedas. But we brahmins do not want to do anything personally and that is what makes me sad.

Last edited:
Please read 'Indhu Madham Engey Pogiradhu' written by Agnihotram Sri Ramanjua Tatachariar published by Nakkeeran Publications a few years ago. You will get many interesting facts.

This man was Vice-Chancellor of Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeeth, Tirupathi and he hailed from Kumbakonam. His ancestors were traditionally archakas in Tirumala temple for so many centuries. So he has spoken authoritatively on many vital issues of Hinduism.

Please read 'Indhu Madham Engey Pogiradhu' written by Agnihotram Sri Ramanjua Tatachariar published by Nakkeeran Publications a few years ago. You will get many interesting facts.

This man was Vice-Chancellor of Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeeth, Tirupathi and he hailed from Kumbakonam. His ancestors were traditionally archakas in Tirumala temple for so many centuries. So he has spoken authoritatively on many vital issues of Hinduism.
Dear Shri Pannvalan,

I have read the two books by ART viz., indumatam enge pokiratu, and, caDangukalin katai. They gave me some confidence to know that even a scholar and a close friend of Kanchi periyaval did have different views about hindu religion.

Dear Shri Pannvalan,

I have read the two books by ART viz., indumatam enge pokiratu, and, caDangukalin katai. They gave me some confidence to know that even a scholar and a close friend of Kanchi periyaval did have different views about hindu religion.

ART is my hero for many many reasons. he is a man far ahead of his times.

essentially he wants the hindu society to be shaped into a casteless one as he otherwise does not see a dignified place for all the nonbrahmin castes, and even more so, for dalits. these are gist of what i understood he stands for from reading his a few of his interviews.

incidentally, he supported the conversion to islam of the dalits of lakshmipuram about 15 or so years ago, as he said that we hindus treated them so shabbily that it is best they find dignity elsewhere.

something for all of us to think about.

truly a great SV and hindu. :)

He has quoted some mantras having obscene and vulgar meaning. He has attacked certain age old practices that are found either irrelevant or meaningless today.

On most of his observations and viewpoints, I concur with him. But areas of differences in interpretation also exist.

I think he passed away only recently, after living a full life of 102 years.

I respect this mahaan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back