• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Motivational Stories from various Sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
நேர்மைக்கு கிடைத்த விருது தொகையை ஏழைகளு&

நேர்மைக்கு கிடைத்த விருது தொகையை ஏழைகளுக்கு செலவிட்ட ஐஎப்எஸ் அதிகாரி!

28/09/2015

ஐ.ஏ. எஸ் அதிகாரி சகாயத்தின் நேர்மையையும் , துணிச்சலையும் நாம் பாராட்டிக் கொண்டிருக்கும் அதே நேரத்தில் சைலன்டாக பல சேவைகள் செய்துள்ளார் சஞ்சீவ் சதுர்வேதி என்ற இந்திய வனத்துறை அதிகாரி ( ஐ. எஃப். எஸ்). ஆசியாவின் மிக உயரிய விருதான மகசேசே விருதை இவர் பெற்றுள்ளார்.

பணியில் சிறப்பாக பணியாற்றி, எல்லா சூழ்நிலைகளிலும் நேர்மையை கடைப்பிடித்து, அரசாங்க அலுவலகங்களில் நடக்கும் ஊழலை வெளிக் கொண்டு வந்துள்ளதில் பெரும் பங்கு ஆற்றியுள்ளார். இதற்காகதான் ரேமோன் மெகசேசே விருது வழங்கப்பட்டது.

ias_vc1.jpg

இவரது நேர்மைக்கு பரிசாக இது வரை 12 முறை பணியிட மாற்றம் செய்யப்பட்டுள்ளார், ஒரு முறை பணியிடை நீக்கமும் செய்யப்பட்டார். மத்திய அரசு தலையிட்டு மீண்டும் பணியமர்த்தியது. அகில இந்திய மருத்துவ விஞ்ஞானக் கழகமான ஏ. ஐ.ஐ. எம். எஸ் (AIIMS) இயக்கத்தின் தலைமை லஞ்ச ஒழிப்பு அதிகாரியாக, அங்கே உள்ள ஊழல்களையும் முறை கேடுகளையும் வெளிக் கொண்டு வந்தார். அதனால் மறுபடியும் பணிமாற்றம் செய்யப்பட்டார்.

தற்போது ஏ. ஐ.ஐ. எம். எஸ் நிறுவனத்தை சார்ந்த 250 மருத்துவ ஆராய்ச்சியாளர்களும், ஊழியர்களும் மீண்டும் சஞ்சீவ் சதுர்வேதியை பணியமர்த்த பிரதமர் மோடியிடம் மனு மூலம் வேண்டுகோள் விடுத்துள்ளனர்.

மகசேசே விருதுடன் இவர் பெற்ற 19.85 லட்சம் ரூபாயில் 5.63 லட்சம் வரி போக மீதமுள்ள தொகை முழுவதையும் ஏ. ஐ.ஐ. எம். எஸ் (AIIMS) ல் சிகிச்சை பெறும் ஏழை நோயாளிகளுக்காக செலவிடுமாறு கொடுத்து விட்டார்.

தலைமை மருத்துவ கண்காணிப்பாளரின் நேரடி மேற்பார்வையில் ஒரு ஃபைல் அமைத்து, நோயாளிகளின் விவரங்களும், அவர்களுக்கு செய்யப்படும் நிதி உதவியையும் எழுதி வைக்குமாறு கூறியுள்ளார். பணம் சரியான முறையில் உதவி தேவைப்படும் நபர்களை சென்றடைய வேண்டும் என்பதே இதன் நோக்கம்.

ஐ.மா.கிருத்திகா

http://www.vikatan.com/news/article.php?aid=52977

Lalithaji

This thread is not for posting Quotes, Actual life incidents took place are posted here.

If i had to post only Quotes, i can find many, for that i have opened another thread

'I liked these' under Quotes and Saying

A Request, please do not post any quotes in this Thread

Last edited:
A Transgender fights for Rights and Justice

A Transgender fights for Rights and Justice

Jul 28, 2015

Born Jagadeesh, Akkai is a male-to-female transgender. She is from a middle-class family in Bangalore; her father was in the airforce and her mother, a homemaker. She had a confused childhood, often inviting her parents’ anger for wearing her sister’s dress or playing with girls. Her parents even took her to local doctors and traditional healers in the hope of ‘curing’ their child, but it didn’t change anything.

Akkai tried to make herself believe that she was a boy, but she strongly felt otherwise. At the age of 12, feeling confused and lonely, she tried to kill herself twice.

About four years later, Akkai disclosed to her brother that she wanted to be a girl. Her brother was the first to accept her as she is, and he tried to convince their parents, who still wouldn’t change their minds and continued to believe that she would change.

As a young teenager, Akkai would see other transgender women – or “eunuchs” as they are referred to in India – near a park in Bangalore on her way to college. One day she picked up the courage to talk to them and told them about her identity dilemma.

“Don’t become like us,” they told me. “If you become like us, there are only two options for you – begging or sex work.”

But Akkai wanted to be like them; in fact, she knew she had to become like them. And she did. Sadly, she also had to start offering herself to men for money at the same park in Bangalore.

“I did sex work for four years. My parents believed that I was an office assistant in a private company.”

Thinking about those four years of her life brings tears to Akkai’s eyes even now. But, ironically, it is in those four years that she came to know that there are many others like her. She never felt lonely any more. She never felt like wanting to die anymore.

Seeing the sexual violence that others like her face everyday, Akkai was motivated to join Sangama, a local NGO that works with sexual minorities.

With Sangama, she realised the importance of educating the policy makers and the judiciary about the problems faced by people belonging to sexual minorities in India. (Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code makes sexual acts between two persons of the same sex and other sexual activities that are “against the order of nature” punishable. This leaves scope for sexual minorities to be exploited.)

“Why should I die? Let me fight for my community members. I have a huge responsibility on my shoulders.”

Akkai couldn’t complete her education and she hasn’t studied beyond high school, but she speaks near-perfect English. She was invited by the Indian President to attend the swearing-in ceremony of the Chief Justice of India. She was also invited by the International Bar Association to speak about the legal rights of sexual minorities, in a conference held at Tokyo in October 2014.

After the Supreme Court of India acknowledged ‘transgender’ as a third gender in all forms and legal documents (adding a ‘T’ to the usual options of ‘M’ and ‘F’), Akkai was the first in the country to get a driving licence stating her gender as female. But she still has not forgotten the difficulty she faced in getting a passport stating the gender of her choice.

Akkai is founder-member of Ondede (meaning ‘convergence’ in Kannada), an organisation that aims to create awareness about sexuality, sexual diversity and the right to choose one’s sexual orientation.

“Being a transgender is not easy. People laugh at you, discriminate against you. You don’t have access to buses, public toilets, office spaces. But things are changing now.”

http://www.uthtime.in/being-a-youth...dreds-to-fight-for-transgender-rights-justice

The Cat Women of Gir Forest

The Cat Women of Gir Forest

The Cat Women of Gir Forest: Modi's pride of women guards is working wonders in the Asiatic lion's last abode

Raseela Vadher knows no fear. Unafraid, she ventures into Gir forest peering intently through the bush looking for signs of trouble. It is not the presence of wild animals that bothers her. She is on the lookout for poachers, illegal gangs felling prized teak trees, or local tribesmen lighting fires that could set the jungle ablaze.

gir-moss_041913074212.jpg

Remember the young woman forest guard Narendra Modi so proudly described to FICCI'S women entrepreneurs in Delhi on April 8? "More than lions, visitors are amazed at the sight of this gutsy girl who fearlessly walks amid a pride of wild lions," he said.

Just 26 years old and already a veteran of the Gujarat government's extraordinary initiative to protect the only natural abode of the Asiatic lion, Vadher is that young woman. From a poor family of Junagadh's Bhanduri village, she signed up as a forest guard in August 2008 and has by now been out on over a thousand successful missions, including about 350 to rescue lions in distress. She loves the forest and this is her dream job.

Like trophies from battle, she happily wears 15 deep scars from a nearfatal lion attack in the summer of 2012. And she is not alone: There are 40 other women van raksha sahayaks, equally driven and zealously watching over the Gir's precious bounty.

Chief Minister Narendra Modi's inspirational move in 2007 to employ women to guard the reserve forest may well have taken a cue from Gir's lionesses, who relentlessly hunt down the plentiful chinkara, nilgai or spotted deer to feed their pride, and turn fiercely protective when their cubs are threatened. Junagadh's women are proving equally enthusiastic in protecting the sanctuary.

At last count (April 2010 census), there were 411 lions in the 1,412 sq km of reserve forest-52 more than the last count in 2005. There's been more good news since Vadher and her colleagues joined. In November 2010, GPS monitoring of the big cats showed that as many as 50 adult lionesses were pregnant. Though surviving cubs from the births in early 2011 will only be counted in the next census in 2015, wildlife officials are confident "the pride will have grown significantly". The Divisional Forest Officer (DFO) at Gir, Sandeep Kumar, acknowledges the impact of the women guards. "The numbers are rising because they (the women guards) have been successful in creating a new awareness amidst women and children in villages near the forest," he says. Assuming a more gently persuasive approach than their male counterparts who worked this beat before, Vadher and her colleagues, like Jayshree Patat, 26, and Shabnam Rinbaloch, 24, have worked hard to win cooperation not just from local villagers but also from maaldharis, the semi-nomadic tribal herdsmen who live in the sanctuary.

Rinbaloch says her job in the sanctuary has been a hugely empowering experience. Belonging to a tribal Muslim community that did not let its womenfolk seek work outside home, she became the trailblazer for other young women in her village of Jamanvada. In 2009, three others joined what they proudly refer to as the 'women's brigade', each bringing home Rs 5,200 a month to add significantly to their meagre family incomes. Thrilled with the overwhelming success of the initial recruitments, Aradhana Sahu, deputy conservator of forests at Junagadh, and DFO Kumar, are preparing to hire 100 more, to buffer preservation and protection initiatives in the Gir forest. Kumar says 1,200 young women have applied to join training as forest guards this year.

Before Modi had his brainwave of recruiting women guards in 2007, the Gujarat Forests Department was a decidedly male bastion with just two women, both Indian Forest Service (IFS) officers, amid its ranks. "It was fascinating to watch them at work," says wildlife enthusiast Madhavendra Singh, who came to see the lions up close in Gir. But quite like what Modi spoke about at the FICCI gathering, the 27-year-old from Bhopal says he was completely stumped by the way the wild beasts appeared almost tame in the presence of the women guards. Tourists and animal lovers are returning to Gir in a flood; many, like Pune's Revati Krishnan, 40, inspired by Amitabh Bachchan's captivating 2011 campaign for Gujarat Tourism Department. In just two years, tourist footfall has doubled to 302,428 in 2012-13.

But for Gir's 'women's brigade', it is more than about getting visitors a decent photo opportunity with the big cats. "Preserving the forest is serious business," says 25-year-old Manisha Vaghela, who singlehandedly tracked down and apprehended a gang of nine motorcycle-borne poachers trying to hunt chinkara antelopes in 2011.

girmoss3_041913074334.jpg

Armed with double-barrelled shotguns and walkie-talkie radios, the vigilant women fan out into the bush, unmindful of the danger-venomous snakes, crocodiles lurking around watering holes, a hungry leopard or angry lionesses protecting their cubs. On an average day, each of the women's patrols negotiates over 25 km of forest, even during peak summer months when temperatures inside the sanctuary top 45ºC.

Vilas Antana, 24, graduated in Sanskrit from a college in Amreli and knew nothing of wild animals till the day she signed up to work as a guard in Gir. As with many of her colleagues, the job has diluted her marital prospects, with few young men of her community willing to marry a woman who wears khaki and wields a shotgun. She is not overly bothered, though, happy instead with the independence her job provides. "I can now tell you scientific names of all the birds and animals in this forest," she says.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/...-modi-women-guards-asiatic-lion/1/266623.html

Man Comforts Gorilla Who Just Lost His Mom

Man Comforts Gorilla Who Just Lost His Mom

18 September 2015

Losing a parent can be one of the most tragic experiences of a person's life. As photographer Phil Moore shows, this feeling of deep sadness is not exclusive to humans.

980x.jpg

Phil Moore (Getty Images)

For this mountain gorilla whose mother was killed by poachers, the pain is all too real. In an emotional display of mourning, the dismayed gorilla holds onto park ranger Patrick Karabaranga for support.

Captured in July 2012 at Virunga National Park in the Democratic Republic of Congo, this photograph documents the gorilla's capacity to express loss and Karabaranga's compassion for an individual of another species: a much needed skill in a world where human activity increasingly encroaches upon the lives of wild gorillas.

https://www.thedodo.com/gorilla-seeks-comfort-1355648291.html

Story of a Hero Who Fought Against Child Marriage

Story of a Hero Who Fought Against Child Marriage

29th September 2015

Child%20marriages.jpg

NEW DELHI: The life story of Rekha Kalindi from Purilia in West Bengal, who became a hero when she stood up against child marriage as an 11 year-old and fought for her right to study further, is now out in the form of a book.

Titled 'The Strength To Say No," the book has been translated by Sarah Lawson, an American-born Londoner who has authored poetry, non-fiction and plays and translates from French, Spanish and Dutch.

The book written with collaboration of Mouhssine Ennaimi, translated into English from Ennaimi's acclaimed French edition, is a documentary portrait of Kalindi's monumental struggle and an inspiring story for young women all over the world.

Kalindi, now 18, who refused an arranged marriage at the age of just 11 was allegedly beaten and starved by her own mother for doing so.

"I was moved by Rekha's story. For someone so young she has incredible strength and tenacity. She showed immense bravery by standing up against centuries of tradition. I felt compelled to tell her story and give her platform to reach a wider audience, raise awareness, see change and inspire others to do the same," says Ennaimi.

Kalindi now in standard 10 continues to be ambitious in life and wants to be a nurse. Being the poster girl against child marriage through her story she wants girls to follow her footsteps, to shun child marriage and take up education.

"My uncle's daughters have refused to get married until they complete their studies. Earlier, couples would have seven to eight children. Now that they have become aware of the need to educate and feed their children well, they are trying to limit their family size to just two kids. That is a good start," says Kalindi.

It is a book that inspires women to stand up for themselves and also she is a voice for the many children who still are affected by such evils in the society.

Recalling an incident in her life where the power of education gave her the strength to fight, Rekha says women and girls should definitely focus on it and take a lesson.

"I got up and headed for the young man, who must have been be five or six years older than I. I said Do you know the story of Kishalaya? He said No. What is it? And there was a series of questions. With that I turned on my heel and went back into the room and said Your son is an idiot! I won't marry him whatever my parents say!" says Rekha in the book.

"I could refuse a boy by asking him general knowledge questions emphasising the role of education in one's life. If I didn't go to school, I would have never had that knowledge or the confidence to turn away a boy on the basis of his ignorance," she says.

After persuading them not to marry her off against her will, Rekha goes from village to village to tell her story and to explain the tragic consequences of early marriage. Thanks to her, dozens of children in the region found the courage to say no to this tradition.

"I only want girls like me to draw inspiration from the book. If I could do it, so can they. The more people read about it, the greater the impact will be. When I get married and have children, I want my kids to read it and be proud of what their mother did," says Rekha.

The recipient of India's National Bravery Award, Rekha has also been featured along with Malala and Anne Frank in the book "Children Who Changed The World" marking the 25th anniversary of the UN Declaration of the Rights of the Child.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...ated-in-English/2015/09/29/article3053542.ece

11-year-old boy helps deliver baby brother at home

11-year-old boy helps deliver baby brother at home

Sept. 23, 2015

baby_borther1.jpg

OBB COUNTY, Ga. —

An 11-year-old Marietta boy delivered his baby brother with help from a 911 dispatcher.

Kenyarda Dukes says she and her son, James, were at home Tuesday morning when she knew it was time.

"I was screaming and my son ran in the room. 'Mom, are you OK?' I'm like, ‘Nooo!’" Dukes recalled.

Her baby was coming and the only doctor in the house turned out to be her son.

“I called 911. They told me what to do. To get towels and wrap the baby up,” he said.

James did just that, welcoming his new brother, Royal Dukes, into the world weighing 6 pounds 9 ounces.

"Words can't express how proud I am. He is the epitome of when you tell your son that 'you’re the man of the house, so you have to take care of those responsibilities,' and he did it to a 'T,'" the boys' father said.

James says he just did what he had to do.

Mother and baby are fine and now resting comfortably in the hospital.

"My son was brave. He didn't shake. He didn't budge. I was like, ‘Oh my God! Somebody help me.’ He did a wonderful job and I’m proud of him," Kenyarda Dukes said.

Dr. Eric Brown was supposed to deliver the baby, but it was James who ended up practicing the emergency medicine.

“I've never heard of anything like this. I think James is very special," Brown said. “The baby is doing fantastic. As you can see, his young doctor is taking very good care of him.”

James says he now wants to be a doctor when he grows up.

“I don't like people hurting or down or anything. So I want to fix them and help them,” he said.

“I'm anticipating James to spend some time with me at the office, and we'll help James make his dream come true to be a physician,” Brown said.

Kenyarda and baby Royal will head home from the hospital Thursday.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/11-year-old-boy-helps-deliver-baby-brother-home/nnmbJ/

Indian Origin Doctor Fashions Makeshift Inhaler Onboard Flight, Saves Asthmatic Toddl

Indian Origin Doctor Fashions Makeshift Inhaler Onboard Flight, Saves Asthmatic Toddler's Life

September 29, 2015

dr%20khushid%20600_1443506787.jpg

A quick-thinking Indian-origin doctor in the US saved the life of a 2-year-old boy who suffered an asthma attack onboard a transatlantic flight by creating a makeshift inhaler out of a cup and a bottle.

Dr Khurshid Guru, director of Robotic Surgery at the Roswell Park Cancer Institute in NY, was aboard the Air Canada flight from Spain to the US on September 18 when he was notified of the toddler in trouble.

The boy was crying and short of breath and his parents had accidentally packed his asthma medication in checked luggage, ABC News reported.

"The child had developed a cold. We were three or four hours into the flight. I think with the cold and popping of the ears and crying, he got worse," said Guru.

The child's oxygen level was dipping to a dangerously low level.

He needed oxygen but also asthma medication. However, the plane only had an adult inhaler on board, which would not be of much help, he said. Guru, who hails from J&K, came up with a jerry-rigged device similar to a nebuliser that would deliver both oxygen and asthma medication to the crying child.

http://www.indiatimes.com/news/worl...ght-saves-asthmatic-toddlers-life-245672.html

Kind-hearted cop gives bike to a homeless man

Kind-hearted cop gives bike to a homeless man

28 September 2015

2CDF01BA00000578-0-image-m-51_1443471200027.jpg

A Kansas police officer has earned much praise for his kindness after offering a homeless man who has been walking more than five hours to work each way a bicycle to ease his daily commute.

This is the second time in as many months that the Roeland Park Police Department has made headlines for all the tight reasons.

Back in July, Roeland Park officer Mark Engravalle sparked a flurry of articles and TV news reports when he bought a widowed mother of six who was caught shoplifting diapers from a Walmart hundreds of dollars worth of supplies out of his own pocket, reported the station KSHB a the time.

The latest man of the hour is officer Zack Stamper, who got a call last Tuesday about a suspicious person lurking around Sweeney Park.

Stamper responded to the park, where he discovered Samuel Meixueiro resting on a bench.

The man explained to the officer he lost his home after falling on hard times and has been sleeping in a church.

In order to keep his job, he has to walk five-six hours from Kansas City to Mission and back every day.

On the day of his encounter with the cop, Meixueiro decided to take a break in Sweeney Park before setting out on his long commute.

‘As I told him my story he started loosening up. Started realizing I'm not a vagrant. I have a job. I'm doing the best I can,’ Meixueiro told the station WDAF.

Stamper gave the man a lift to Mission that morning, but his story struck a chord with the officer.

‘I couldn't imagine spending five hours a day traveling back and forth to work, let alone on foot,’ Stamper said.

The Kansas cop returned later that day with a bicycle for Meixueiro and a duffel bag to carry his belongings.
The homeless man said he broke down in tears at the sight of the gifts.

‘Things are so hard for me right now. Any kind of help is just a blessing,’ Meixueiro said, thanking the officer.

On his part, stamper said of the unusual encounter: ‘It made my day. It made my career.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-FIVE-HOURS-way-work.html?ito=social-facebook

Mata Amritanandamayi, pledged Rs 100 crore for the works in Kerala

Mata Amritanandamayi, pledged Rs 100 crore for the works in Kerala

Kollam (Ker), Sep 27 (PTI)

27 Sep 2015

After contributing Rs 100 crore to the Centres Swachh Bharat and Clean Ganga programmes, Mata Amritanandamayi Math today offered an identical amount for construction of toilets and sanitation works in Kerala.

Mata Amritanandamayi, popularly called Amma by her devotees, pledged Rs 100 crore for the works in Kerala while participating in her 62nd birth day celebration at the Math premises at Vallikavu near here, in the presence of Chief Minister
Oommen Chandy.

A certificate pledging Rs 100 crore to Kerala for construction of toilets and sanitation purpose was handed over to Chandy by Amritanandamayi at the function.

The Math had earlier this month donated Rs 100 crore for the Swachh Bharat and Clean Ganga programmes. Speaking on the occasion, Chandy lauded the work and services carried out by the Math in various parts of the country.

The services of Math would always be cherished by the people, he said. Lauding the work of the Math, BJP President Amit Shah who also attended the programme, said its services have benefited a large number of people irrespective of caste, creed, religion, colour and gender. He thanked the Math for extending Rs 100 crore for the Prime Ministers flag ship programme Swachh Bharat and Clean Ganga.

There was no one in the history who had carried out similar services like Amritanandamayi, Shah said. In her message, Amma said India has two faces, one of development and another of poverty.

One face is happy due to giant strides the country is making in science and technology and the another face is of poverty, illiteracy, poor health, crime against women and lack of cleanliness," she said. "If we want to see India become powerful and healthy, then we need to merge these two faces into one beautiful face. If we can bring our collective knowledge, compassion and talent together, we can see India rising and thriving with peace, harmony and prosperity," she said.

The function also saw the launch of various welfare and development initiatives by the Math, at various states including Kerala, Odisha and Tamil Nadu. Amma also presented the Amrita Keerthi Puraskar to noted Sanskrit scholor Muthukulam Sreedharan at the function. Kerala Governor P Sathasivam, Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurian, Union Ministers Najma Heptulla,
Manoj Sinha, Sripad Yasoo Naik, Ambassador of France to India Francois Richier and State Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala were among those who attended the programme. PTI JRK RC DB

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/math-pledges-rs-100-cr-for-sanitation-work-in-kerala/1/484171.html

Chennai doctors 'give ear to' Seychelles boy

Chennai doctors 'give ear to' Seychelles boy

Sep 28, 2015

201509290411175288_The-new-foreign-boy-by-the-ear-Chennai-modern-surgery-Dr_SECVPF.gif

CHENNAI: Being born with hearing problems could have been a nightmare for a child, but for nine-year-old Nathan Parkash from Seychelles, being born without an entire ear was the cause of ridicule everywhere he went.

The child who was slowly slipping into depression owing to his appearance was brought to a city hospital recently, where surgeons constructed an entire ear for him and put an end to all his apprehensions.

"It is a complicated surgery that was done in multiple stages. Instead of using artificial materials, we reconstructed the child's ear using a graft from his own rib cage," said Dr S M Balaji of Balaji Dental and Craniofacial Hospitals.

While his left ear was normal, Nathan was born with a condition called microtia where his right ear was malformed. "The child could hear well but he could not wear goggles or listen to music using earphones. The biggest blow was the curious stares he elicited from people, especially his classmates," said Dr Balaji.

Since there were no hospitals in Seychelles that were capable of providing solution, the child's mother, Natalie, searched online and saw hope at the Chennai hospital.

The mother and son duo arrived in the city three months ago, and an initial workup showed promise. Within a few days, the doctors performed the first phase of the surgery where they took a small piece of cartilage from his rib and carved it to look like an ear. An incision was made and this was then implanted into his skin and sutured up.

"We had to let three months pass for the cartilage to develop blood flow and for it to settle neatly," said the doctor.

After three months, the surgical team did the second phase of the procedure where they elevated the ear and enhanced its appearance. "We then took a piece of skin from his groin and covered the cartilage to give it a more normal look," said Dr Balaji.

The doctor added that the surgery is normally done only after 14 years of age. "But we went ahead with Nathan and made his left ear slightly bigger than the other one as it would look similar within a few years when his right ear grows normally," he said.

The wound healed within two weeks and now Nathan is all set to return home to undergo his holy communion. The child, who is now able to sport goggles and plug earphones and listen to music said, "I am very excited with my new look. I cannot wait to get back to school and show my friends."

The two phases of the surgery had lasted nearly three hours and the cost of the entire procedure was Rs 3 lakh.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chennai/Chennai-doctors-give-ear-to-Seychelles-boy/articleshow/49141170.cms

http://www.dailythanthi.com/News/St...ign-boy-by-the-ear-Chennai-modern-surgery.vpf

3 Schoolboys Win International Grant After Spending A Year Resolving Hunger In India

3 Schoolboys Win International Grant After Spending A Year Resolving Hunger In India

September 29, 2015

Coimbatore's own Padmanaban Gopalan and his 2 friends have bagged a $1000 grant from a US based NGO, Pollination Project, after public voting chose their project - No Foodwaste - as the best initiative among many others nominated from across the world.

1 year feeding the hungry

2%206_1443535495.jpg

Padmanaban Gopalan and his two friends, Sudhakar and Dinesh have been actively working for over a year since October, 2014 to collect excess food at weddings and hotels that could be packed and given to the hungry in Coimbatore.

Competition from across the world

3%206_1443535495.jpg

His competitors included Mark Devries from New York whose project was Citizen Drone Project in which he uses drones to gather information about factory farming methods, Maria Maneos from Eagleville, Pennysylvania, for project Prison Arts programme and Samantha N Ngcolomba from Johannesburg, South Africa for the project Lady Liberty in which attorneys were given a platform to help abused women."Out of 150 applications, we selected four outstanding finalists working on human rights, social justice, animal advocacy, environment, arts activism, and women's rights," wrote Ari Nessel, founder and director of Pollination Project.

Winning by a margin of over 4000 votes!

sixx_1443535495.jpg

The voting closed on July 17 and he won by a margin of over 4000 votes. The grant was received recently. Padmanaban who won only based on the public voting said he was delighted by the news. "I got to know about this funding through a friend and applied for it. Generally, there is no voting system. They scrutinize the project and grant it. But since this was their 1000th grant, they launched the public voting system," he said. He has now launched a Zero Hunger Hour campaign that would be marked on October 16 on World Food Day between 12:30pm to 1:30pm when they would feed several hungry people. "We will use this grant to mobilize people into the campaign. We have already written to various international NGOs to make it a global phenomenon and have received positive responses," he said

Expansion plans

Ask him how this grant has changed his life and he says people who hardly noticed him have also begun offering help. "Earlier, when we were scouting for sponsors, nobody took us seriously. We used our own funds and packaged and transported the food," he said. But after the award, the Rotary Club of Coimbatore gifted them a that has made their task simpler. The team plans to expand it to Tirupur, Erode, Salem, Krishnagiri and Dharmapuri.

An app to streamline food donation

He will soon launch a mobile application that would help people look for locations close by where extra food could be donated. They would be guided with a map and GPS system that would show 100 spots where excess food could be delivered. "On October 2, we will launch the application and the Zero Food Hour campaign," he said. "The idea is to promote this concept of not wasting food by feeding the poor," said Padmanaban.

Meanwhile, the team is in talks with the city corporation to extend it to all the wards and zones. "If the civic body provides us with land, where food could be collected and saved in cold storage, transporting food could be easier. Moreover, people would know where to give excess food and this would help create more awareness," he said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2DxNYsAduw

http://www.indiatimes.com/news/3-sc...-a-year-resolving-hunger-in-india-245715.html

Baby is finally reunited with the nurse who cradled her

Baby is finally reunited with the nurse who cradled her

Sep 30th 2015

A woman who suffered severe burns as a baby has been reunited with the nurse who cared for her almost 38 years ago thanks to a Facebook appeal.

Amanda Scarpinati had always treasured the black-and-white pictures of herself as a tiny infant being comforted by a young nurse - and dreamed of meeting the woman again.

The beautiful shots show Scarpinati at three months, her head wrapped in thick gauze, being cradled by the nurse in poses reminiscent of ‘Madonna and Child’ paintings.

ut when the pictures, taken by photographer Carl Howard, were published in Albany Medical Center’s 1977 annual report, the captions did not include the nurse’s name.

Scarpinati, 38, a human resources manager from Athens, New York, tried for 20 years to identify the woman with no luck. Earlier this month, she finally had her answer: Susan Berger.

ut when the pictures, taken by photographer Carl Howard, were published in Albany Medical Center’s 1977 annual report, the captions did not include the nurse’s name.

Scarpinati, 38, a human resources manager from Athens, New York, tried for 20 years to identify the woman with no luck. Earlier this month, she finally had her answer: Susan Berger.

2CE94C4800000578-0-image-a-7_1443572312046.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3254291/Oh-God-real-Woman-suffered-severe-burns-baby-finally-reunited-nurse-cradled-black-white-photos-40-years-ago.html?ito=social-facebook

Heena Sidhu wins 10m air pistol gold at Asian Air Gun Championship

Heena Sidhu wins 10m air pistol gold at Asian Air Gun Championship

01 Oct 2015

IndiaTvae96b3_Heena.jpg

New Delhi: Former world number one shooter Heena Sidhu lived up to the billing as she clinched gold in the women's 10m air pistol event to conclude India's campaign at the 8th Asian Air Gun Championship on a winning note in New Delhi on Wednesday.

India also added the silver medal to its kitty as Shweta Singh stood second on the podium in the day's marquee event, ahead of bronze medallist Seon A Kim of Korea.

Having topped the qualification with a score of 387 alongside another young Indian shooter Yashaswini Singh Deshwal, former world champion Sidhu shot 197.8 to win the top prize in the final. Shweta aggregated 197.0, while Kim managed 175.8.

In her first international final, Yashaswini finished a creditable fourth after shooting 155.3.
India, thus, won an impressive haul of 17 medals, including six gold (two in individual senior), to finish as toppers in the continental event, which lost some sheen after the pull-out of powerhouse China and Korea's decision to not send numero uno pistol shooter Jin Jong-oh.

India bagged five silver and six bronze. In the overall standings, Iran took the second place with 12 podium finishes, including six gold and five silver medals, followed by Taipei, winning one gold, two silver and as many bronze.

In the day's much-awaited event -- women's 10m air pistol -- Sidhu got off to a terrific start firing a 10.7. But it was Shweta who was in the lead after the first three shots with a pair of 10s, as compared to a modest 9.8, 9.3 by Sidhu. With 61.3 points, Shweta continued to lead after the next three shots, as Sidhu followed with 60.7.

As Iran's Elham Harijani got eliminated, Sidhu found her bearings again to topple Shweta from the lead. It was around this time that Korea's Kim started to head north with some consistent scores, including a magnificent 10.9. Shweta shot to the top for a moment before Sidhu wrested the position again with a series of mid to high 10s.

Even as the Korean was eliminated after a brave fight, Sidhu and Shweta engaged in an intriguing tussle before the Ludhiana-born, Mumbai-based shooter prevailed.

Sidhu was satisfied with her effort in the qualification but the final was not up to the mark, according to her.

"Most of the time there was a lot of delay. I was taking a lot of time, that plays on your mind. Today, I was not happy with the way I shot in the finals, this was a lower finals for me," Heena said.

http://www.indiatvnews.com/sports/o...tol-gold-asian-air-gun-championship-3967.html

Indian-American Professor Gets Rs 4.09 Crore 'MacArthur Genius Grant'

Indian-American Professor Gets Rs 4.09 Crore 'MacArthur Genius Grant' For His Wastewater Recycling Solution

September 30, 2015

fu-found-700_1443615614.jpg

Kartik Chandran, an Indian-American associate professor of earth and environmental engineering at Columbia Engineering, has been named a 2015 MacArthur Fellow with a "genius grant" of $625,000 (Rs 4. 09 Crore) - no strings attached.

Chandran, an IIT Roorkee graduate, has won the fellowship for his work in "transforming wastewater from a pollutant requiring disposal to a resource for useful products, such as commodity chemicals, energy sources, and fertilisers.

"
Only 24 grantees in the world

He joins a distinguished group of 24 talented people who have all demonstrated exceptional originality and dedication to their creative pursuits, as well as a marked capacity for self-direction. The fellows may use the $625,000 stipend as they see fit."When I received the call telling me that I had been awarded a MacArthur Fellowship, I was rather overwhelmed," Chandran said. "I'd just returned to New York from India after a 24-hour flight and couldn't believe what I was hearing."He called the fellowship a "great honour which carries with it immense responsibility and provides ever more motivation to continue expanding my scientific horizons and boundaries and help solve global societal and human challenges.

"
Chandran's research on the global nitrogen cycle and engineered wastewater treatment has been widely recognized.

In 2011 he received a $1.5 million grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to develop a transformative new model in water and sanitation in Africa.His work is focused on integrating microbial ecology, molecular biology, and engineering to transform wastewater, sewage, and other "waste" streams from problematic pollutants to valuable resources in addition to clean water.Chandran's approach to transform wastewater into fertilisers, chemicals, and energy sources also takes into account today's climate, energy, and nutrient challenges.

Not his first award

Chandran, who joined the Engineering School in 2005, has also won the Water Environment Research Foundation Paul L. Busch Award (2010), a National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2009), and a National Academies of Science Fellowship (2007).His appointments prior to joining Columbia include his role as a senior technical specialist (2001-2004) with the private engineering firm Metcalf and Eddy of New York, where he contributed to New York City's efforts to achieve significant improvements to its water quality.Chandran earned a BS (1995) from the Indian Institute of Technology at Roorkee (formerly University of Roorkee) and a PhD (1999) from the University of Connecticut.The MacArthur Fellowship grants are awarded annually by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.

http://www.indiatimes.com/news/indi...us-grant-for-recycling-wastewater-245756.html

Braddock artist wins MacArthur Foundation 'genius' grant

Braddock artist wins MacArthur Foundation 'genius' grant

September 29, 2015

A Braddock native known for evocative, unflinching photographs of her hometown has been named one of 24 recipients of a 2015 “genius” grant from the MacArthur Foundation.

LaToya Ruby Frazier, 33, whose photography, videography and video art have led her in the footsteps of social activists and storytellers, is the fourth Pittsburgher in five years to win the prestigious fellowship.
It pays $625,000 over five years, with no evaluations or other strings attached. Officially, recipients are called MacArthur Fellows. Unofficially, the awards are called genius grants because of the recipients’ creativity and innovation.

The Chicago-based foundation calls the award “an investment in a person’s originality, insight and potential” and a way to help recipients pursue their “creative instincts for the benefit of human society.”

Ms. Frazier, who told the foundation in a video that the camera helped her combat feelings of economic powerlessness, said she’ll use the grant to continue telling the story of Braddock residents battling social and economic decline.

“What they’re facing now has to be documented,” said Ms. Frazier, who last year published “The Notion of Family,” a book that tells Braddock’s story through photos of herself, her mother and grandmother. Over 12 years, Ms. Frazier, an assistant professor at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, also documented her community’s unsuccessful fight to save UPMC Braddock and other aspects of community life. Her work has appeared in numerous exhibitions.

Other recipients this year include Kartik Chandran, an environmental engineer at Columbia University in New York who works on recycling wastewater; Ellen Bryant Voigt, a poet from Cabot, Vt.; and Mimi Lien, a New York set designer.

“Their work, their commitment and their creativity inspire us all,” Julia Stasch, foundation president, said on the MacArthur website.

Recipients this decade with local ties are University of Pittsburgh poet Terrance Hayes, last year; dancer-choreographer Kyle Abraham, 2013; and former Pitt parasitologist/​virologist Elodie Ghedin, 2011.

Previous MacArthur fellows from the region include Luis von Ahn, associate professor of computer science at Carnegie Mellon University, who created the language learning app Duolingo, 2006; Christopher Beard, former curator and head of vertebrate paleontology at Carnegie Museum of Natural History, 2000; and William Strickland, founder of the Manchester Craftsmen’s Guild, 1996.

The MacArthur grant is the latest in a series of high profile awards for Ms. Frazier, who divides her time between Pittsburgh and Chicago. She received a John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation fellowship last year and was Guna S. Mundheim Fellow in the visual arts at the American Academy in Berlin from 2013 to 2014.

Her photos, many of them black and white, offer a stark look at how Braddock’s decline has affected the community landscape and the bodies of those living there. On her website (latoyarubyfrazier.com), photos of dilapidated buildings are interspersed with searing images of herself, relatives and other residents. Ms. Frazier, whose ancestors left the South for Braddock in the early 1900s, said she has provided some of the few accounts of black families there.

She said her work follows the tradition of socially conscious photographers such as Gordon Parks, who trained his lens on poverty and civil rights, and Lewis Hine, who early last century documented America’s child-labor abuses and photographed social conditions for the Pittsburgh Survey. Also, she said she considers herself an heir of the storytelling tradition embodied by Braddock filmmaker Tony Buba and Thomas Bell, whose novel “Out of This Furnace” told a story of immigrant labor.
“I just hope I make Pittsburgh proud,” Ms. Frazier said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/e...-Foundation-genius-grant/stories/201509290059

அன்று... பிச்சை எடுத்த மாணவி: இன்று... ரஷ்யாவி

அன்று... பிச்சை எடுத்த மாணவி: இன்று... ரஷ்யாவில் மருத்துவ மாணவி!

30/09/2015

தேனி: சில ஆண்டுகளுக்கு முன் பிச்சை எடுத்த ஒரு மாணவி இன்று மருத்துவம் படிக்க ரஷ்யா சென்றுள்ளார்.

3.jpg

நெல்லை மாவட்டம் சங்கரன்கோவில் பகுதியை சேர்ந்தவர் லட்சுமி. இவர், கடந்த 6 ஆண்டுகளுக்கு முன்பு மனநலம் பாதிக்கப்பட்ட நிலையில், தனது 2 மகள்களுடன் தேனி பஸ் நிலையத்தில் பிச்சை எடுத்துக் கொண்டு இருந்துள்ளார். இதை அறிந்த பழனிசெட்டிபட்டியில் உள்ள அவருடைய உறவினர்கள் லட்சுமி குடும்பத்தினரை தங்களுடன் அழைத்துச் சென்றுள்ளனர். அதன்பின் லட்சுமியின் மகள்களான கார்த்திகா மற்றும் சர்மிளாவை தேனி அருகே, கோடாங்கிபட்டியில் உள்ள ஒரு ஆதரவற்றோர் காப்பகத்தில் சேர்த்துள்ளனர். அங்கு, அனைவருக்கும் கல்வி இயக்கம் சார்பில், கார்த்திகா 8 ஆம் வகுப்பிலும், சர்மிளா 6 ஆம் வகுப்பிலும் சேர்க்கப்பட்டனர். கார்த்திகா எஸ்.எஸ்.எல்.சி. தேர்வில் 454 மதிப்பெண்கள் எடுத்தார். அதன்பின் கடந்த கல்வி ஆண்டில் பிளஸ்-2 அரசு பொதுத்தேர்வில் அவர் 892 மதிப்பெண்கள் எடுத்திருந்தார்.

இந்நிலையில், ரஷ்யாவில் உள்ள மருத்துவக்கல்லூரியில் படிக்க ஆண்டு தோறும் 200 மாணவிகளை தேர்வு செய்து அனுப்பும் சென்னையை சேர்ந்த ஒரு கல்வி அமைப்பு, ஏழ்மை நிலையில் உள்ள குடும்பத்தை சேர்ந்த ஒரு மாணவியையும் தேர்வு செய்து அனுப்புவது வழக்கம். அந்த மாணவி 50 சதவீத கல்விக்கட்டணம் மட்டும் செலுத்தினால்போதும். அதன்படி இந்த ஆண்டு, அன்று பஸ் நிலையத்தில் பிச்சை எடுத்த சிறுமி கார்த்திகா ரஷ்ய மருத்துவக்கல்லூரியில் படிக்க தேர்வு செய்யப்பட்டார். அடுத்த மாதம் முதல் வாரத்தில் ரஷ்யா செல்ல இருந்தார் கார்த்திகா. ஆனால் அவசர அழைப்பு காரணமாக கடந்த 2 நாட்களுக்கு முன் தேனியில் இருந்து புறப்பட்டு, நேற்று ரஷ்யா சென்றடைந்துள்ளார்.

இந்த வாய்ப்பு குறித்து கார்த்திகா கூறும்போது, ''நான் சங்கரன்கோவிலில் 4 ஆம் வகுப்பு வரை படித்தேன். பின்னர் அம்மாவுடன் சேர்ந்து நானும், என் தங்கையும் பிச்சை எடுத்தோம். அப்போது நாங்கள் 2 பேரும் காப்பகத்தில் சேர்க்கப்பட்டோம். மனநலம் பாதிக்கப்பட்டு இருந்த எங்கள் அம்மா, உறவினர் வீட்டில் சங்கிலியால் கட்டி வைக்கப்பட்டு இருந்தார். எனது எஸ்.எஸ்.எல்.சி. தேர்வு முடிவுகள் வெளியான மறுநாள் எங்கள் அம்மா இறந்து விட்டார்.

எனக்கு ரஷ்யாவில் மருத்துவம் படிக்க வாய்ப்பு கிடைத்தது கடவுளின் அருளால்தான். அவர் மனித உருவில் வந்து உதவுகிறார். என்னிடம் அணிந்து செல்ல நல்ல ஆடைகள் கூட கிடையாது. எனக்கு புதிய ஆடைகள், செருப்பு, பைகள் என எல்லாவற்றையும் பலரும் வாங்கிக் கொடுத்து வழியனுப்பி வைத்தனர். நான் சென்னையில் இருந்து விமானம் மூலம் டெல்லி வந்து, அங்கிருந்து ரஷ்யா சென்றடைந்தேன்.

தேனி அரசு மருத்துவக்கல்லூரி மருத்துவமனையை சேர்ந்த மருத்துவர்கள் பலர் என் மருத்துவப் படிப்புக்கு தேவையான புத்தகங்களை வாங்கிக் கொடுத்தனர். எனக்கு கலெக்டர் ஆக வேண்டும் என்று ஆசை. ஏனெனில், நான் ஆட்சியராகி பணியாற்றும் இடங்களில் பிச்சைக்காரர்கள் இல்லாத நிலையை உருவாக்க வேண்டும் என்பது என் விருப்பம். என்னைப் போலவே வாய்ப்பு கிடைக்காமல் தவிக்கும் சிறுவர், சிறுமிகளை மீட்டு அவர்களை முன்னேற்றப் பாதையில் கொண்டு செல்ல வேண்டும் என்பதே எனது லட்சியம்" என்று தெரிவித்து உள்ளார்.

http://www.vikatan.com/news/article.php?aid=53064

85 வயதில் தடகளத்தில் பதக்கங்களை அள்ளும் ப&#299

85 வயதில் தடகளத்தில் பதக்கங்களை அள்ளும் பலசரக்கு வியாபாரி!

(02/10/2015)

சாதிக்கத் துணிந்துவிட்டால் வயதும் உடல்நிலையும் ஒரு பொருட்டே அல்ல என்பதற்கு உதாரணமாய் திகழ்பவர் மதுரை பீ.பீ குளத்தைச் சேர்ந்த திரு.கிருஷ்ணன் ,என்ற இராதாகிருஷ்ணன்.

Radahakrishnanvc_1.jpg

100மீ, 200மீ, 400மீ ஓட்டம் ஆகிய தடகள போட்டிகளில் மாநில அளவில் பல பதக்கங்களைக் குவித்து, தேசிய அளவிலும் தடம் பதித்து ஆசிய போட்டிகளைக் குறி வைத்து முன்னேறும் இச்சாதனை இளைஞருக்கு வயது 85.

அறுபது வயதுக்குப்பின் வீட்டில் ஓய்வு எடுத்துக் கொண்டு, பேரன் பேத்தி, அரசியல், செய்தித்தாள் என

குறுகிய வட்டத்தில் தன்னை சுருக்கிக்கொள்ளாமல் மாற்றத்திற்கான முதல் படியாக தான் அமைய வேண்டும் என்ற குறிக்கோளுடன் உச்சம் தொட்ட திரு.இராதாகிருஷ்ணன் அவர்கள் கூறியதாவது,

ஒரு பலசரக்கு வியாபாரியாக அன்றாட வாழ்க்கை வாழும் பலரில் ஒருவனாகத்தான் நானும் இருந்தேன்.

அறுபது வயதில் பலரையும் முடக்கிப்போடும் சர்க்கரை வியாதியை சவாலாக எண்ணி அதை கட்டுக்குள் வைக்க மதுரை ரேஸ் கோர்ஸ் மைதானத்தில் மேற்க்கொண்ட நடைப்பயிற்சி என்னை தடகளத்திற்கு கொண்டு சென்றது. அங்கு ஒரு டாக்டர் நண்பர் கொடுத்த யோசனைப்படி முயற்சி மேற்கொண்டு முதியோருக்கான தடகள போட்டிகளில் சேருவதாக ஒரு ஆர்வத்தில் முடிவெடுத்தேன்.

அது வெறும் ஆர்வக்கோளாறாக மட்டும் நிலைத்துவிடக்கூடாது என்று பயிற்சி மேற்கொள்ள ஆரம்பித்தேன். ஊரக விளையாட்டுப் போட்டிகள், மாவட்ட, மாநில, தேசிய போட்டிகளில் பங்கேற்று பதக்கங்களும் பாராட்டுகளும் கொடுத்த தன்னம்பிக்கையில் முன்னேறிக் கொண்டிருந்த தருணம், எதிர்பாராத சாலை விபத்தில் கால்முறிவு ஏற்பட்டது.

அறுவை சிகிச்சை நடத்தப்பட்டதால் தடகள வாழ்க்கைக்கு முற்றுப்புள்ளி ஏற்பட்டுவிடுமோ என்கிற அச்சம் மாற்றுவழியை உருவாக்கித்தந்தது. நடை, ஓட்டம் என்று பங்குபெற்றுக்கொண்டிருந்த நான் விபத்துக்குப் பின்னர் ஈட்டி, வட்டு, குண்டு எறிதல் என என்னுடைய விளையாட்டு தளத்தை மாற்றிக்கொண்டு இரண்டாம் பாகத்தை துவக்கினேன்.

நாட்டின் பல மாநிலங்களில் நடைபெறும் பல்வேறு போட்டிகளில் பங்குபெற்று இன்னமும் எனக்கான ராஜபாட்டையில் பயணித்துக்கொண்டிருக்கிறேன். இம்மாதிரி விளையாட்டுப் போட்டிகளில் பங்கேற்பதற்கு குடும்பத்தினர் முழு சம்மதம் தராவிட்டாலும் மறுப்பு சொல்லியதில்லை.

இந்த போட்டிதான் நான் கலந்துகொள்ளும் கடைசி போட்டி என ஒவ்வொரு வருடமும் கூறிக்கொண்டே இருபத்தைந்து வருடங்களை கடந்துவிட்டேன்.

இன்னும் அதிகமான போட்டிகளில் பங்குபெற்று ஆசிய அளவில் சாதிக்க வேண்டும் என்ற குறிக்கோளுடன் என் பயணம் தொடரும், என்று கூறும் திரு.இராதாகிருஷ்ணன் சர்க்கரை வியாதியை தகுந்த நடை , உடற்பயிற்சியால் கட்டுக்குள் வைக்கமுடியும் என்கிற விழிப்புணர்வை ஏற்படுத்தவே இச்சாதனை என்கிறார்.

கிருஷ்ணன் தன் மனைவி பெயரையும் இணைத்து தன்னை திரு. இராதாகிருஷ்ணனாகவே அடையாளப்படுத்திக்கொள்கிறார். மேலும் கண் தானமும், மருத்துவக் கல்லூரிக்கு உடல் தானமும் செய்துள்ளார்.

ராகினி ஆத்ம வெண்டி.
படங்கள்: நா. மரகதமணி.

http://www.vikatan.com/news/article.php?aid=53167

Man Unearths Pregnant Dog Buried Alive Under Sidewalk

This is the most incredible rescue I’ve ever seen!

Refusing to ignore the cries for help under this freshly laid sidewalk, a man begins removing the stone piece by piece in a city in Russia. Onlookers gather to watch to see what was buried alive. The ordeal began when a spot of sidewalk needed to be repaired after it collapsed due to a sinkhole. This man and his family tried to get help before tearing up the sidewalk themselves, but were unable to get anyone to respond. So, taking matters into their own hands, they begin the rescue.

Finally digging out enough, a pregnant dog emerges after being trapped for two days without food or water. It is unknown if she was buried alive on purpose, or whether it was accidental, but thankfully she is being cared for and back to a full recovery at a local animal rescue. They report she will soon be up for adoption – all thanks to a kindhearted man who didn’t ignore her pleas for help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WA4--gvKU0

http://www.thisblewmymind.com/man-unearths-pregnant-dog-buried-alive-under-sidewalk/#_

Baby elephant rescued after falling down 30ft well in India

Baby elephant rescued after falling down 30ft well in India

A video has been released showing the moment a baby elephant was rescued after falling into a 30ft-deep uncovered well in Andhra Pradesh, India. The incident, which took place in Ramakuppam village in the country's southern Chittoor district on 23 August, occurred when the baby elephant fell into the well when a herd was wandering through the area at night.

Villagers claim to have been woken at dawn by the anguished sounds of the animal trapped in the hole. Around 25 pachyderms approached the well to try and retrieve the baby elephant, but forest officials diverted them from the area. Hundreds of local villagers flocked to the site to watch as a digger was used to create a slope for the animal to climb up out of the hole.

Upon escaping, the distressed elephant proceeded to charge at the crowds, causing onlookers to flee. Officials state that the baby elephant suffered no injuries and was successfully reunited with the rest of the herd.
Please open the link to view the video

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/baby-elephant-rescued-after-falling-down-30ft-well-india-video-1516764

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2015/aug/24/baby-elephant-saved-well-ramakuppam-india-video

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...phant-from-abandoned-well-video-10210254.html

3 initiatives that have stretched the scope of yoga beyond health

3 initiatives that have stretched the scope of yoga beyond health

Jun 21, 2015
Initiatives that have integrated yoga within the larger societal framework and used it for building a stronger community.

These initiatives have integrated yoga within the larger societal framework and shown that it can be used for holistically building a community and not just merely for maintaining one’s own physical health.

1970614_218848724979735_707456009_n-650x432.jpg

Bangalore based Prafull Oorja educates individuals to use yoga for social and self transformation. Started by Madeleine Sears and Sowmya Ayyar, Prafull Oorja focuses primarily on teaching and researching yoga to special needs’ children. Prafull Oorja has collaborated with Bubbles Centre for Autism in Bangalore as well where they teach about 80 students yoga twice a week. Prafull Oorja’s uBloom Yoga program meant for special needs’ children has currently reached 300 kids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKOicOd7QdQ

Prafull Oorja is a team of trained yoga therapists, art and dance therapists who believe in serving communities by sharing holistic therapies such as yoga, dance, art, reiki and acupressure. The vision of the organization says it all, “To share yoga and holistic practices; with populations in need in order to empower and enhance their lives and sense of well being.” Their philosophy sees access to yoga and other holistic practices as universal rights that should be accessible to everyone regardless of ability, geography, socio-economic standing, and or other factors. Their uRise Yoga program for empowerment encourages people from the locality to become yoga teachers and provide them with a new opportunity for livelihood and economic growth.

http://www.thealternative.in/societ...itiatives-stretched-scope-yoga-beyond-health/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back