• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Motivational Stories from various Sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Writer Jhumpa Lahiri to Receive National Humanities Medal

Writer Jhumpa Lahiri to Receive National Humanities Medal

SEP 10 2015

President Obama will award Indian-American short-story writer and novelist,Jhumpa Lahiri, with a National Humanities Medal Thursday. This award honors individuals and groups who have deepened the nation's understanding of and engagement with the humanities. The White House citation reads, "Jhumpa Lahiri, for enlarging the human story. In her works of fiction, Dr. Lahiri has illuminated the Indian-American experience in beautifully wrought narratives of estrangement and belonging."

13ff70d5-9221-4ae3-ab06-3438bdf4b7ab_S_secvpf.gif

"Jhumpa Lahiri has influenced my own writing so much," Nina McConigley, Indian-American writer and Assistant Professor of Honors at the University of Wyoming, told NBC News. "When I first read her stories, I thought, yes - this is a world I know, this is a world I understand. I saw myself on the page, which as a person of color, you don't often see in books or in magazines. It was a revelation for me."

Lahiri received the Pulitzer Prize and the PEN/Hemingway Award for her first short story collection, "Interpreter of Maladies." Her first novel, "The Namesake," was adapted into a popular film starring Kal Penn. Her novel, "The Lowland," received the DSC Prize for South Asian Literature and was a finalist for the Man Booker Prize and the National Book Award for Fiction.

Her most recent book is a collection of essays written in Italian, "In Altre Parol" ("in other words"). This fall, she will begin teaching creative writing atPrinceton University.

Remarking on the importance of her books for all readers, McConigley said, "I teach her books now at UW, and my Wyoming students love her work. Many of them have no context of India, but her stories create a world everyone can understand, that everyone connects with."

Previous Asian American honorees include novelist Maxine Hong Kingston and economist Amartya Sen.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...iri-receive-national-humanities-medal-n424476

Please also read from here

http://www.maalaimalar.com/2015/09/11090124/Obama-presents-National-Humani.html

Savithri Has Been Playing Mother to Destitute Elderly Women for 37 Years -

Savithri Has Been Playing Mother to Destitute Elderly Women for 37 Years -

September 12, 2015

In 1978, Savithri Vaithi started an old age home, Vishranthi, for abandoned and destitute elderly women in Chennai. Thirty-seven years later, and at the age of over 80 now, Savithri still spends her time taking care of these women who have no one else to rely on.

Savithri Vaithi’s wrinkled face hides hundreds of stories about the homeless elderly women she has taken care of and their painful days that she has tried to ease. With no family to take care of them, these destitute women have landed up at Savithri’s doorstep and she has taken them in, with kindness and compassion, one by one.

“It is not an old age home where kids can drop their mothers off. It is a home only for those who have no one and nowhere to go,” explains Srilekha, Savithri’s niece, brought up by her.

Several hundred women have knocked on the doors of Vishranthi in all these years, looking for some help and rest in their twilight years. Savithri has given them the dignity they deserve.

Savithri is 80 and not in very good health now. “But she is still worried about all those ladies living in Vishranthi. She still has the final say and she will always be the soul behind this initiative,” says Srilekha.
Savithri started working in the social sector when she was just 16. She worked in the slums of Choolai in Chennai, as part of a group called ‘Barefoot Walkers’ who would take care of the health, education and other needs of the slum dwellers.

Later, she started a book bank, educated underprivileged kids, and worked for the homeless and needy.

But it was Vishranthi that gave Savithri’s life a new purpose. She started it in the late 70s with support from Help Age India and Dr. Natrajan, a geriatrist at the General Hospital in Chennai.

“The idea was to bring together some housewives who wanted to do something in their free time and leverage their energy to do something good for the elderly. Savithri started identifying abandoned women at the railway stations, roadside, etc., and bringing them to her old age home. Gradually, the news spread and hundreds of women started coming to Vishranthi,” says Srilekha.

Wife of A.V. Meiappa Chettiyar donated an acre of land in Palavakkam and Help Age India raised funds for the construction of the building. And this is how Vishranthi moved from a small rented house to bigger premises that now house over 150 elderly women and a staff of about 50.

For all of them now, Savithri is the family that they had once hoped would give them respect and peace in their old age.

From providing them with healthy food to having them undergo regular medical checkups, Savithri makes sure that they lack for little. And eventually, she performs their last rites with the dignity and grace they deserve.

Savithri is a new family for the abandoned destitute women.

We have welcomed new women here and even seen their deaths. We get attached to all of these ladies. It is very difficult to see them die,” says Srilekha.

“In earlier times, women were not allowed to go to the cremation ground. But Savithri went there every time one of the ladies from our old age home was taken there. She received strong opposition but she stood against that boldly. Thanks to her, those challenges are not being faced by us now because she raised her voice against them back then,” she adds.

After a woman dies in the old age home, the staff at Vishranthi arrange to donate the organs of the deceased. They try to trace the family to participate in the last rituals. But if the family cannot be found, the women are cremated with due respect.

Savithri takes care of all the needs of the women at Vishranthi.
“These old age homes are full of stories of hundreds of women — each one more heartbreaking and thought provoking than the other,” says Srilekha.
Though Savithri is very sick and immobile to take care of the home by herself now, the administration of Vishranthi is being ably carried out in the same standard that she had set, by a Board of Trustees which changes every two years.

She is leaving behind a legacy that we all will cherish. Her dream is our dream now and we will make sure we keep growing and taking care of these needy women,” concludes Srilekha.

http://www.thebetterindia.com/32932...ail&utm_term=0_cd579275a4-6744658a5a-73747833

Homeless Man Dies Fighting Gunman To Save Woman

Homeless Man Dies Fighting Gunman To Save Woman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trp9wGoYrRY

Published on Sep 7, 2015

A 61-year-old homeless man in Brazil has fought with a gunman to save a woman. He was killed after the gunman shot him in the chest. The woman held hostage has survived.

The homeless man, Francisco Erasmo Rodrigues de Lima, sacrificed his life to fight off a gunman who was threatening to kill a woman outside the famous Sao Paulo Cathedral in Brazil.

The gunman has been identified as Luiz Antonio da Silva (49) and he was shot and injured by police as Francisco bravely intervened. Silva has previously spent 22 years in prison for theft, damage of property and causing bodily harm.

Francisco received at least two bullets to the chest and died at the scene.

Thousands of online users are now urging authorities to honour Francisco by giving him a decent burial.

2.5 செ.மீ. மழை பெய்தால் 1.70 கோடி லிட்டர் நீர் சேம&#

2.5 செ.மீ. மழை பெய்தால் 1.70 கோடி லிட்டர் நீர் சேமிப்பு:

September 13, 2015

திண்டுக்கல் அருகே பஞ்சாயத்து தலைவர் ஒருவர், மக்கள் பங்களிப் புடன் பண்ணைக் குட்டைகள், தடுப்பணைகள் அமைத்து ஒரு முறை பெய்யும் 2.5 செ.மீ. மழை யில் 1.70 கோடி லிட்டர் தண்ணீ ரைச் சேமித்து, குடிநீர் பிரச்சினைக் குத் தீர்வுகண்டு சாதனை படைத் துள்ளார்.

rain_2546152f.jpg

வைகை ஆறு பாய்ந்தாலும், ராமநாதபுரம் மாவட்டம்போல திண்டுக்கல் மாவட்டமும் வறட்சி மிகுந்தது. இந்த மாவட்டத்தில், தொப்பம்பட்டி அருகே வாகரை பஞ்சாயத்து கிராமங்கள், ஆண் டுக்கு வெறும் 5 நாள் 625 மி.மீ. முதல் 690 மி.மீ. மழை மட்டுமே பெய்யக்கூடிய மிகக்குறைவான பகுதி.

இந்த பஞ்சாயத்தில் வாகரை, பூசாரிகவுண்டன்வலசு, கட்டம நாயக்கன்வலசு எனப்படும் குக் கிராமங்கள் உள்ளன. இங்கு 1,119 குடும்பத்தினர் வசிக்கின்றனர். இவர்களில் 398 குடும்பத்தினர் 3,150 ஏக்கரில் விவசாயம் செய்கின்றனர். விவசாயத் தேவைக்காக, இந்த பஞ்சாயத்தில் 68 திறந்தவெளிக் கிணறுகளும், 3,621 ஆழ்துளைக் கிணறுகளும் உள்ளன.

குடிநீர் தேவைக்காக 8 திறந்தவெளிக் கிணறுகளும், 55 ஆழ்துளைக் கிணறுகளும் உள்ளன.

2010-ம் ஆண்டு முதல் 2013-ம் ஆண்டு வரையிலான வறட்சிக் காலத்தில், இந்த பஞ்சாயத்தில் பெரும்பாலான திறந்தவெளிக் கிணறுகள் முற்றிலும் வறண்டு விட்டன. ஆழ்துளைக் கிணறுகளில் 12 மட்டுமே, இந்த பஞ்சாயத்தின் மொத்த குடிநீர் மற்றும் விவசா யத் தேவைகளுக்கும் பயன்படுத் தப்பட்டன.

குடிநீர் பஞ்சத்தால் மக்கள் கடந்த 10 ஆண்டுகளாக விவசாயத் தோட்டங்களுக்கு, பல கி.மீ. தூரம் நடந்துசென்று குடங்களில் தண்ணீர் எடுக்கும் அவலம் ஏற்பட்டது. வறட்சியால் விவசாயிகள் தோட்டக்கலை பயிர் சாகுபடி பரப்பை குறைத்துக் கொண்டு, ஒருசில குறுகியகால காய்கறிகளை மட்டுமே பயிரிட்டு வந்தனர்.

இந்நிலையில், வாகரை பஞ் சாயத்து தலைவர் கே.சின்னான், ஒவ்வொரு கிராமத்திலும் 15 முதல் 20 முன்னோடி விவசாயிகளை ஒருங்கிணைத்து குழுக்களை அமைத்தார். அவர்கள் மூலம் மண் மற்றும் நீர்வள மேம்பாடு, நிலத்தடி நீர் சேமிப்புத் திட்டத்தில், எந்தெந்த இடத்தில் பண்ணைக் குட்டைகள், தடுப்பணைகள் அமைத்தால் அதிக மான தண்ணீரைச் சேமிக்கலாம் என்பதை அறிந்து, அந்த இடங் களில் கடந்த 2 ஆண்டுகளில் அரசு ஒதுக்கிய ரூ. 16.75 லட்சம் மதிப்பீட் டில் மக்கள் பங்களிப்புடன் 30 பண்ணைக் குட்டைகளும், 15 சிறிய, பெரிய தடுப்பணைகளும், ஒரு கசிவுநீர் குட்டையும் அமைத்தார்.

நடப்பாண்டு தற்போது வரை, சரியாக மழை கிடைக்காத நிலையில் இந்த பஞ்சாயத்து கிராமங்களில் சாரல் மழை மட்டுமே மூன்று நாட்கள் பெய்துள்ளது. அதனால், இந்த பஞ்சாயத்தைச் சுற்றிய அனைத்து பஞ்சாயத்துகளும் குடிநீர், விவசாயப் பாசனத்துக்கு தண்ணீர் இல்லாமல் சிரமப்பட்டு வருகின்றன.

ஆனால், மக்கள் பங்களிப்புடன் பஞ்சாயத்து தலைவர் அமைத்த பண்ணைக்குட்டைகள், தடுப் பணையால் தற்போது வாகரை பஞ்சாயத்து மட்டும் செழிப்பு மிகுந்த பகுதியாக திகழ்கிறது. குடிநீர் பிரச்சினை இல்லை. விவ சாயத்துக்கு தண்ணீர் தட்டுப்பாடு இல்லை. தற்போது மக்காச்சோளம், தக்காளி, வெண்டைக்காய், சின்ன வெங்காயம் சாகுபடி செய்து விவ சாயிகள் அதிகளவு விளைச்சல் கண்டுள்ளனர்.

வறட்சி மாவட்டங்களுக்கு முன்மாதிரி
இதுகுறித்து மாவட்ட நீர் வடிப்பகுதி மேம்பாட்டு வேளாண் பொறியாளர் பிரிட்டோராஜ் ‘தி இந்து’விடம் கூறியது:

‘‘வாகரை பஞ்சாயத்தில், தற்போது 2.5 செ.மீ. மழை பெய்தாலே அவர்கள் அமைத்த 30 பண்ணைக்குட்டைகள் மூலம் சுமார் ஒரு கோடியே 50 லட்சம் லிட்டர் மழை நீரும், ஒரு தடுப்பணை மூலம் சுமார் 15 லட்சம் லிட்டர் மழை நீரும், ஒரு கசிவு நீர் குட்டை மூலம் சுமார் 6 லட்சம் லிட்டர் மழை நீரும் மொத்தம் ஒரு கோடியே 71 லட்சம் லிட்டர் தண்ணீரை சேமிக்கின்றனர். இதே 2.5 செ.மீ. மழை ஆண்டுக்கு 5 முதல் 6 தடவை பெய்தால் 8.5 கோடி லிட்டர் தண்ணீரை இவர்கள் சேமிக்கலாம்.

மேற்கு தொடர்ச்சி மலையடிவாரத்தில் கிருஷ்ணகிரி மாவட்டம் முதல் விருதுநகர் வரையிலான மேட்டுப்பகுதி மாவட்டங்களில் மண் சரிவும், செம்மண் சரளையும் அதிகம் காணப்படுகிறது. இந்த மாவட்டங்களில் நிலத்தடி நீர்மட்டம் மிகவும் குறைவு.

வெயில் காலங்களில் அதிகமான குடிநீர் தட்டுப்பாடும், பயிருக்குத் தேவையான ஈரப்பதமும் இன்றி விவசாயப் பரப்பு குறைந்து விவசாயிகள் வருந்தும் சூழ்நிலையே இருக்கிறது. இந்த மாவட்டங்களில் பஞ்சாயத்து தலைவர்கள், வாகரை பஞ்சாயத்தை முன்மாதிரியாகக் கொண்டு மழை நீரை சேகரிக்க பண்ணைக்குட்டைகள், தடுப்பணைகள் அமைத்தால் வறட்சிக் காலத்திலும் குடிநீர் பஞ்சத்துக்கு தீர்வுகண்டு விவசாயத்தை தக்க வைக்கலாம்’’ என்றார்.

http://tamil.thehindu.com/tamilnadu/

Living by example-Roger Federer Cleaned Court & Disposed Of Towels, Etc

Living by example-Roger Federer Cleaned Court & Disposed Of Towels, Etc

On 3rd September, after his second round victory over Belgium’s Steve Darcis, Federer was out for practice at Flushing Meadows, only to find the court in a mess with towels and bottles strewn around.

Before leaving the practice court, Roger and his team cleaned up bottles and towels left behind by other players.

COB7VezUsAAir4O.jpg

COB7VexUkAAx4j_.jpg

COB7Ve1VEAAbu_q.jpg

COB7Ve3UkAAHGlw.jpg

http://www.storypick.com/roger-federer-cleaned-court/

Roger Federer shows fatherly touch helping boy out of crushing crowd

Roger Federer shows fatherly touch helping boy out of crushing crowd

September 10, 2015

Roger Federer has once again proved his reputation as an all-round champion after saving a young fan from potentially being crushed by a pack of autograph hunters at the US Open.

The 17-time grand slam champion was signing autographs following another victory this week at Flushing Meadows when eager fans being began crushing a small boy at the front of the pack.

Footage shows Federer stop and ask the autograph hunters to move back before spotting the small boy crying against the rail and frantically waving the fans back.
The much-loved Swiss then melts hearts, ushering security to lift the crying boy onto court where he signs his giant tennis ball and his hat.

Understandably, the kindness of Federer stopped the young fan’s tears.

PLEASE OPEN THE LINK TO SEE VIDEO

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/...boy-out-of-crushing-crowd#trsBZUxTgXVw04ru.99

Meet 87 yr old Shila Ghosh, who toils hard to earn a living but scorns media hype

Meet 87 yr old Shila Ghosh, who toils hard to earn a living but scorns media hype

June 16, 2015

Upon reaching a senile age, everyone wants to lead a peaceful and relaxed life at home, surrounded by family. However Shila Ghosh, who’s almost 87 years old, has a different story to tell.

OF15019_SHILA-GHOSH_BALLY_15JUN15_M-SAMANTA-e1434442141426-300x199.jpg

At such a decrepit age, Shila has to sell homemade chips at a busy Exide crossing to support the meager income of her family.

In 2012 a Facebook post by college girl Sufia Khatoon brought the hard life of Shila Ghosh into the limelight. This led to various media outlets, from regional to national, covering her story.

The media, in a bid to serve their self-interests, presented different stories about her and started chasing her everywhere.

Shila wanted to earn her living with respect and lead a peaceful life, even by earning a pittance. But all the media coverage, instead of helping her, created havoc in her life.

In an interaction with NewsGram, Shila Ghosh expressed her dissatisfaction with the media and talked about her daily struggle for sustenance.

AM: Why are you frustrated with the media?

Shila Ghosh: I don’t know how I came into the limelight. I just wanted to live my life with respect, and that is the only reason why I chose to work even at this age. But suddenly, the media started following me and made different types of stories. From morning to night, I found people were clicking my photos. All of this brought a new misery to my life. I had to leave my rented home as the landowner didn’t like this media nonsense. I have now shifted to my new rented home in Bally.

AM: Do you blame that college girl Sufia Khatoon for your miseries?

SG: No, she helps me a lot through her NGO. She is a young girl, I have never blamed her.

AM: Do you still have contact with her?

SG: No, she met me last December. After that I haven’t had any contact with her.

AM: But after the media coverage many people might have helped you.

SG: I don’t want anyone’s help. I want to earn respectfully, not by sympathy.

AM: From where do you get your mental strength?

SG: In the Gita it is written, “Work is life. Do your work, never think of the result.” This has been my source of mental strength.

AM: What made you sell chips at this age?

SG: I don’t know, maybe it was written in my fate. I was born into a feudal family, my father was a doctor, my husband was a station master, and my son worked as an Upper-Division clerk at the Eastern Railways. After my son’s death in 2010, everything changed. My grandson was jobless, my daughter-in-law was a kidney patient, and I had to work to feed them.

AM: But your grandson should get his father’s job, according to the Government’s policies.

SG: I wrote a letter to the former Railway Minister Mamata Bannerjee, and she gave my grandson a job. But the locals felt jealous and my grandson was forced to leave his job on a court order.

AM: Can you give any details about that court order?

SG: I don’t know the details, maybe he did not have the requisite educational qualifications for that post.

AM: You are soon going to enter into the 90s club, for how long will you continue with your struggle?

SG: I want to work till my last breath. I have already got a chance to act in an upcoming Bengali film ‘Panther Panchali.’ I will play the role of Harihar’s mother in the film.

http://www.newsgram.com/why-87-year-old-shila-ghosh-doesnt-want-media-attention/

Motivated by Nursing job

Motivated by Nursing job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2&v=nYoCW1DQWQE

Published on Sep 9, 2015

Miss America 2016 - While other contestants sang, danced or played instruments for the talent competition on the second night of preliminaries in Atlantic City, Kelley Johnson, Miss Colorado, delivered a unique monologue about experience as a nurse.

படிக்காத மேதை-கஞ்சா கருப்பு ..

படிக்காத மேதை-கஞ்சா கருப்பு ..

noiwr22298.jpg

இன்று உச்சத்தில் இருக்கும் நடிகர்களோ அல்லது நடிகைகளோ எவரும் செய்யாததை இந்த படிக்காத பட்டிக்காட்டு மனிதர் செய்கிறார்...

கஞ்சா கருப்பு ...
சிவகங்கை மாவட்டத்தில் பிறந்து சினிமா ஆசையால் ஈர்க்கப்பட்டு சென்னை வந்தவர்....

பல போராட்டங்களுக்கு பிறகு தமிழ் திரையுலகில் தனக்கென
தனி இடத்தை பிடித்தவர் ....

இன்று அவர் வேல்முருகன் போர்வெல்ஸ் என்று ஒரு சொந்தப்படம் எடுத்து வெளியிட்டு விட்டார்..... சொந்தமாய் ஒரு போர்வெல் லாரியை வாங்கி படத்திற்காக பயன்படுத்தி இருக்கிறார் ....பின் தான் வாங்கிய அந்த போர்வெல் லாரியை பயன்படுத்தி தென் மாவட்ட பகுதியில் மக்களுக்காக எந்தவித பைசாவும் வாங்காமல் இதுவரை 55 போர்வெல் குழாய் அமைத்து தந்து இருக்கிறார்... இன்னமும் தந்து கொண்டு இருக்கிறார்....

ஒரு போர்வெல் போட குறைந்தது 20,000 முதல் 30,000 வரை ஆகுமாம். அந்த பகுதியில் எந்த மக்கள் (ஏழை ) வந்து கேட்டாலும் அவர்களுக்கு தம் சொந்த செலவில் போர்வெல் போட்டு கொடுத்து கொண்டு இருக்கிறார்

...அது போக தன் பிறந்த கிராமத்தில் ஒரு பள்ளிக்கூடம் திறந்து இலவச
கல்வி தந்து கொண்டு இருக்கிறார் அந்த படிக்காத மேதை ...

http://eluthu.com/view-ennam/22298

கடல்நீரை குடிநீராக்கும் புதிய தொழில்நு&#

கடல்நீரை குடிநீராக்கும் புதிய தொழில்நுட்ப ஆராய்ச்சி மாணவிக்கு ரூ.16 லட்சம் பரிசு

செப்டம்பர் 15,2015,காட்பாடி,

இங்கிலாந்தில் நடந்த புதிய ஆராய்ச்சி போட்டியில் கடல்நீரை குடிநீராக்கும் புதிய தொழில்நுட்பத்தை கண்டுபிடித்த வேலூர் மாணவிக்கு 2-வது பரிசான ரூ.16 லட்சம் கிடைத்தது.

201509150131479803_New-seawater-desalination-technology-research_SECVPF.gif

ஆராய்ச்சி போட்டி

இங்கிலாந்து நாட்டின் ஆம்ஸர்டாம் நகரை தலைமை இடமாக கொண்டு ‘ஆர்எல்இஎக்ஸ் குரூப்’ நிறுவனம் இயங்கி வருகிறது. அந்த நிறுவனம் பெருகி வரும் பாதுகாக்கப்பட்ட குடிநீர் தேவையை பூர்த்தி செய்யும் வகையிலும், சுகாதாரம் ஆகியவற்றிற்கு தீர்வு காணும் வகையிலும் புதிய தொழில்நுட்ப கண்டுபிடிப்பு ஆராய்ச்சிக்கான 2015 குரூப் என்விரோமெண்டல் என்ற போட்டியை அறிவித்திருந்தது.

இந்த போட்டி உலக சுகாதார நிறுவனம் மற்றும் யுனிசெப் ஆகிய நிறுவனங்களின் கண்காணிப்பில் நடந்தது. இதில் வேலூர் வி.ஐ.டி. பல்கலைக்கழகத்தின் பி.எச்.டி., ஆராய்ச்சி மாணவியான டெவிலினாதாஸ் உள்பட பல்வேறு நாடுகளில் உள்ள பல்கலைக்கழக ஆராய்ச்சி மாணவ, மாணவிகள் கலந்து கொண்டனர்.

வி.ஐ.டி. மாணவிக்கு

ரூ.16 லட்சம் பரிசு

இதில் வி.ஐ.டி. பல்கலைக்கழகத்தின் மாணவி டெவிலினாதாஸ் சூரிய ஒளி சக்தியை பயன்படுத்தி கடல் நீரை குடிநீராக்கி, அதனை வீடுகளுக்கு நேரடியாக குழாய் மூலம் வினியோகம் செய்வதற்கான ‘சலினோ’ என்கிற புதிய ஆராய்ச்சியில் ஈடுபட்டு வெற்றி பெற்றார்.

இந்த புதிய கண்டுபிடிப்பில் சூரிய ஒளி சக்திக்காக பயன்படுத்தப்படும் பேனல் உள்ளிட்ட கருவிகள் எளிதாக பயன்படுத்தும் வகையில் அமைந்துள்ளதாக போட்டியை நடத்தும் குழுவினர் இந்த சலினோ ஆராய்ச்சியை 2-வது இடத்திற்கு தேர்வு செய்து அதற்கு பரிசு தொகையான 25 ஆயிரம் அமெரிக்க டாலர் வழங்கி பாராட்டியுள்ளது. இது இந்திய ரூபாய் மதிப்பில் ரூ.16 லட்சம் ஆகும்.

இங்கிலாந்தில் நடந்த போட்டியில் ரூ.16 லட்சம் பரிசு பெற்ற மாணவி டெவிலினாதாசை வி.ஐ.டி. வேந்தர் ஜி.விசுவநாதன் பாராட்டி வாழ்த்து தெரிவித்தார்.

http://www.dailythanthi.com/News/State/2015/09

சாலையோர, நரிக்குறவர் குழந்தைகளுக்கு இலவ&

சாலையோர, நரிக்குறவர் குழந்தைகளுக்கு இலவச கல்வி, இசைப் பயிற்சி: புதுச்சேரியில் சேவையாற்றும் ஜாலி ஹோம்

: September 14, 2015

training2_2547201g.jpg

வறுமையின் பிடியில் சிக்கி செம்பட்டை முடி, அழுக்கு மேனி என சுற்றித்திரியும் சாலையோரம் வசிக்கும் சிறுவர்கள், நரிக்குறவர் குழந்தைகளை பார்த்திருக்கலாம்.

ஆனால், அவர்கள் சரளமாக ஆங்கிலம் பேசுவதையும், பலவித இசைக் கருவிகளை இசைப் பதையும் புதுச்சேரியில் உள்ள ‘ஜாலி ஹோமில்’ காண முடிகிறது. புதுச்சேரி கிருஷ்ணா நகரில் இயங்கி வரும் ‘ஜாலி ஹோம்’ என்ற சமூக தொண்டு நிறுவனத்தில் சாலையோரம் வசிப்பவர்களின் குழந்தைகள் மற்றும் நரிக்குறவர்களின் குழந்தைகள் தங்கி படித்து வருகின்றனர். நரிக்குறவர் குழந்தைகள் அதிகம்.

இங்குள்ள குழந்தைகள் தினந் தோறும் பள்ளி சென்று வந்ததும், ஆங்கிலத்தில் பேசும் பயிற்சி, யோகா, உடற்பயிற்சி, கணினி பயிற்சி, நடனம், இசைக் கருவி, ஓவியம் வரைவது உள்ளிட்ட பல பயிற்சிகள் அளிக்கப்பட்டு வருகி றது. அவர்களும் ஆர்வத்துடன் கற் றுக் கொண்டு சகலகலா மாணவர் களாக உருவாகி வருகின்றனர். இதுகுறித்து ‘ஜாலி ஹோம்’

நிறு வனர் புருனோ, ‘தி இந்து’விடம் கூறியதாவது:

நான் ஒரு விளம்பர படத் தயாரிப் பாளர். ஆரம்பத்தில் சென்னையில் வேலை செய்தேன். கடந்த 2006-ம் ஆண்டு புதுச்சேரி வந்தேன். இங்கு சாலையோரங்களில் வசிக்கும் குழந்தைகள் ஒரு வேளை உண வுக்குகூட கஷ்டப்படுவதை பார்த் தேன். அவர்களுக்கு சாப்பாடும் வழங்கி, கல்வியையும் அளிக்க வேண்டும் என எண்ணினேன். அதற் காக தினசரி மையத்தை தொடங்கினேன்.

ஒரு ஆம்னி வேனில் அவர்களை அழைத்து வந்து கல் வியை போதித்தோம். அப்போது, எங்களை பார்த்தால் ‘பிள்ளை புடிக்கறவங்க வர்றாங்கடா’ன்னு சொல்லிக்கிட்டு பசங்க ஓடியது இன்றளவும் நினைவில் நிற்கிறது.

எனினும், குழந்தைகளின் வாழ்க்கையில் எந்த முன்னேற்றமும் ஏற் படவில்லை. தங்க இடமில்லாமல், தினந்தோறும் கிடைக்கும் இடத்தில் வசித்து வந்ததே அதற்கு காரணம். இதையடுத்து, அந்த குழந்தைகள் தங்கி படிப்பதற்கான வசதியை ஏற்படுத்தி தர முடிவு செய்தோம். அதன் மூலம் உருவானதே ‘ஜாலி ஹோம்’. ஸ்பெயினில் உள்ள ஜால் நிறுவனம் மற்றும் புதுச்சேரி யைச் சேர்ந்த ரமணிகாந்த் ஆகியோரின் உதவியால் புதிய கட்டிடம் உள்ளிட்ட வசதிகள் கிடைத்தன.

பெரும்பாலான இல்லங்களில் ஆதரவற்ற, சிறப்பு குழந் தைகளுக்காகவே கவனம் செலுத் துகின்றனர். நரிக்குறவர் குழந்தைளை பற்றி யாரும் நினைப்பதில்லை. எனவேதான், லாஸ் பேட்டை நரிக்குறவர் காலனியில் உள்ள குழந்தைகளை அழைத்து வந்து இங்கு தங்க வைத்து படிக்க வைக்கிறேன்.

திப்புராயப்பேட்டை யில் உள்ள சத்யாலயம் பள்ளியில் 96 பிள்ளைகளை சேர்த்து படிக்க வைத்துள்ளோம்.

நரிக்குறவ மாணவி ஒருவர் நேரடியாக 7-ம் வகுப்பில் சேர்ந்து படித்து கடந்த ஆண்டு 10-ம் வகுப்பில் 346 மதிப்பெண் பெற்று வெற்றி பெற்றுள்ளார்.

பள்ளி முடிந்து வரும் இவர்களுக்கு பல்வேறு சிறப்பு பயிற்சி அளிக்கிறோம். இத னால் அவர்களது வாழ்க்கை நிலை மாறியுள்ளது. நரிக்குறவர்களின் குழந்தைகள் நல்ல ஆடை அணிந்து ஆங்கிலம் பேசுவதை பார்த்து அவர்களது பெற்றோர்கள் வியப்படைந்துள்ளனர்.

ஹோமில் இருப்போர் தவிர, நரிக்குறவர் காலனியில் உள்ள பிள் ளைகளும் பள்ளிக்கு செல்வதில் கவனமுடன் செயல்படுகிறோம். ஊசிமணி, பலூன் விற்பனை செய்வதன் மூலம் வாழ்க்கை நடத்த முடியாது என்பதால் நரிக்குறவர் மக்களுக்கு தையல் மற்றும் புதுவிதமான மணிகள் செய்யும் பயிற்சிகளை அளிக்கிறோம்.

அவர்கள் தொழில் தொடங்க கடன் உதவியும் செய்கிறோம். புதுச்சேரி மற்றும் திருச்சியில் எங்களது சமூக தொண்டு நிறுவனம் உள்ளது. இதன் மூலம் 186 பிள்ளைகளுக்கு இலவச கல்வி அளித்து வருகிறோம்.

இவ்வாறு அவர் தெரிவித்தார்.

http://tamil.thehindu.com/opinion/reporter-

24-year-old policeman, who jumped off a 20-feet-high bridge in Kumbh and saved a man

24-year-old policeman, who jumped off a 20-feet-high bridge in Kumbh and saved a man

Sep 15, 2015

Manoj was on duty with his team (a colleague and assistant sub-inspector) at the ongoing Kumbh Mela in Nashik. He was near the Amardham bridge where the incident happened.

Details of the incident:

Between 3-4 PM, a 45-year-old man came and stood near the railing of the bridge. He was seen muttering to himself. The man lifted one of his legs and jumped off the 20-feet-high bridge.

CO4bOVHUEAA2YKj.jpg

Policeman Manoj Barahate jumped off from 20 ft high bridge to save a man. One more life saved! Salute to his #bravery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M5BVrmpXc4

Published on Sep 15, 2015
Being a policeman is often synonymous with being brave. We hear various incidents where cops save lives without even thinking twice about themselves.

http://www.storypick.com/cop-jumped-20-feet-save-man-life/

10 Times Indians Took Matters Into Their Own Hands

10 Times Indians Took Matters Into Their Own Hands
September 15, 2015

From building their own roads to inaugurating their own flyovers, these men and women across India have proved that we don't need politicians, bureaucracy, or even permissions to get what we want. This is the spirit of India.

1. Congress MLA Sanjay Kapoor got together volunteers to repair National Highway 87

nhai_congress_mla_1442298100.jpg
NH 87, that connects UP's Rampur to Uttarakhand's Karna Prayag, was in a pathetic condition and potholes had claimed over 100 lives. It needed repair. Kapoor got 32-km of the highway repaired with the help of voluntary workers or 'kar sevaks' in eight days. Even after addressing 10 letters, when none of the officials came forward to inquire, fed up of government apathy, MLA Kapoor went ahead with the repair work. He later on got into trouble for it – the government deemed his repair work illegal!

2. Tired of waiting for politicians, these Mumbaikars inaugurated a flyover themselves!

The inhabitants of Jogeshwari area in Mumbai had been waiting for quite a while for the local flyover in their area to be inaugurated. But instead of waiting for hours for the politicians to arrive and inaugurate the flyover, these Mumbaikars took matters into their own hand and inaugurated the flyover themselves. The delay in the inauguration was caused because of the war between Shiv Sena and BJP, and the issue was whether Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray or CM Devendra Fadnavis would cut the ribbon.

3. The government ignored their need for a bridge for years. So these villagers raised a crore on their own.

haryana-sirsa-bridge-6_1435743306.jpg

When politicians and bureaucrats ignored their requests to build them a bridge over Ghaggar river so that they could reach Sirsa town with their farm produce faster, the villagers teamed up and collected Rs 1 crore. With it, they have funded a 250-foot-long, 14-foot-wide bridge connecting Aleeka and Panihari villages to Sirsa.Work on the bridge started in April 2014. Today, it is near completion, and will soon be a lifeline for 1.25 lakh people as it will cut the distance from their villages to Sirsa town by at least 30 km.

4. Villagers build their own railway station.

For 25 years, residents of Tajnagar village near Gurgaon lobbied for a railway station in their village. When their demand was not met, the villagers decided to take matters in their own hands — they pooled in Rs 21 lakh and built a railway station on their own. In 2010, the result of their efforts — perhaps the first railway station in the country on which the Railways didn't have to spend a single penny — started operations.
tajnagar%20fotonix_1442298172.jpg
fotonix

It all started about two years back, when the panchayat passed a resolution saying that since the Railways was not able to build a station for them, they would do it themselves, with their own money. Soon, an 11-member 'gram seva samiti' was constituted and it started collecting money from villagers. "Most of the 3,000-plus people living in the village are agriculturists. But such was the burning desire to have a station in the village, everybody contributed according to their capacity. Ranging from Rs 3,000 to Rs 75,000 they donated money for the station and we started construction in January, 2008," said Ranjeet Singh, former village sarpanch. The villagers then asked the Railways if it would agree to stop a few trains at the station if they constructed a station with their own resources. To their surprise, the Railways agreed to make seven passenger trains (in both directions) halt at the station if it was built according to its specifications.

5. Tired of waiting, villagers build their own road

globalnewlightofmyanmar_representational_image_only_nainital_1442298100.jpg
globalnewlightofmyanmar_representational image

After waiting endlessly for a road to be built to their village, a group of enterprising residents of Harishtal village completed construction of a 4-km-long road using the Rs 15-lakh collected from amongst themselves. "It was after we realised that no help would be forthcoming that we decided to anchor the project on our own. People from the area started collecting funds and came forward to volunteer. We also asked for donations from businessmen and other people of the area," said Kedi Rubali, the village pradhan. Incidentally, residents of the area had boycotted the assembly elections in 2012 and had also warned politicians that they would not vote in the Lok Sabha elections if the road was not constructed.

6. Gangadhara Tilak Katnam repairs life threatening potholes across Hyderabad

gangadhar-1_1433394398.jpg

This 67-year-old former railway employee is no regular just another retired official. He spends most of his time and his entire pension money in repairing the dangerous and life-threatening potholes in the city of Hyderabad. Everyday he goes out in search of these potholes and repairs them so that people in the city can commute safely. So far he has filled over 1125 potholes. Following his footsteps, several software engineers and citizens joined his 'Shramadaan' (meaning voluntary contribution for labour). He does not accept any donations/funds and has no employees. Even when there was no one to support his cause, he did not give up and continued working with sheer dedication.Katnam's wife wanted him to give this up and called his son Ravi, who resides in the US, to stop him. When Ravi saw that his father's endeavour was 'very much required', he developed an app through which people could tell his father where these potholes were.

7. Dashrath Manji - the legendary mountain man

mountain4_1433394493.jpg

A labourer who lived in the remote Atri block of Gaya, Bihar trekked a 300-foot tall mountain everyday to get onto the other side where he worked on a farm. People in the village had to take the treacherous mountain trek to get to the other side to avail even basic facilities like schools, hospitals etc. But when Dashrath's wife injured herself trying to get lunch for him, he decided to do something so that people in his village could easily avail at least basic facilities like a doctor etc. From 1960 to 1982, he took 22 years to carve out a road 360 feet long and 30 feet wide. Wazirganj, with its doctors, jobs, and school, was now only 5 kilometers away. People from 60 villages in Atri could use the road. Children had to walk only 3 kilometers to reach school. Grateful, they began to call him ‘Baba’, the revered man.

8. Daripalli Ramaiah planted 10 million trees

plants-1_1433394813.jpg

People in Khammam, Telangana know Ramaiah as “Chettla Ramaiah”, where Chettu means tree. This man has so far planted not 10, not 20 but 10 million trees! On a mission to plant trees wherever he finds barren land, this nature lover carries plants on his cycle and seeds in his pocket and goes around the place planting them. He also collects waste materials and paints slogans on them spreading awareness about the importance of trees in our lives. “Vrikshio Rakshati Rakshitah” is his main slogan and it means if you save the trees, they will save you.

9. Dr. Pawankumar Gulabrao Patil taught this village to wash their hands.

nirman-1_1433395348.jpg

On a two-year fellowship programme at Nirman’s SEARCH (Society for Education, Action and Research in Community Health), in Maharashtra, Dr. Patil found that the villagers were living in unhygienic conditions and that a simple thing such as washing hands was not practised by people. He developed a hand-washing device in just Rs 35 that saved the lives of many in the village.The idea simply involved a few sticks, a string and a soap to set up a low-cost hand-washing device. He took up his device and with the help of school children set it up in the primary school of Kudakwahi village. This ensured that the kids had a sense of ownership towards the device. Rather than imposing it on the kids, he taught them how to wash hands with the help of songs, and taught the children to 'boo' those whose hands were dirty and 'yay' those whose hands were clean; those who wanted to propagate the idea of cleanliness were called Nirmaldoots. And whenever the village celebrated anything, he used the opportunity to set up a Nirmal device in a common place and the eldest lady in the family would do a pooja for it. After having set up 83 Nirmal devices in 16 villages across Maharastra, Pawan moved on with his life, and his Nirmaldoots in the village are taking his message forward.

10. Bhapkar Guruji has a resolve that can move mountains.

team-bhp-6_1440416205.jpg

84-year-old Rajaram Bhapkar, a former teacher at Gundegaon village in Ahmednagar district, has cut through seven hills in the last 57 years to make 40-km roads. He is respected across the region for this feat. "At the time of Independence, there was not even a 'paywat' (walking trail) connecting Gundegaon to the adjoining village," Bhapkar, who has studied till seventh standard said. When Bhapkar, who worked in zilla parishad school between 1957 to 1991, was working at Kolegaon, people from his villages had to cross three villages to reach there. Bhapkar remembers asking government authorities to build a road cutting across the 700 meter high Santosha hill. With no help forthcoming, he embarked on a journey of grit and determination, which 57 years later would result in seven roads, altogether 40 km long, linking his village to the adjoining villages.(Inputs from Times of India)

http://www.indiatimes.com/news/indi...d-proved-we-dont-need-politicians-245220.html

தைரியமாக கடத்தல்காரர்களுடன் போராடி தப்&#

தைரியமாக கடத்தல்காரர்களுடன் போராடி தப்பிய பள்ளி மாணவி

செப்டம்பர் 15,2015,

201509151428553423_Brave-Lucknow-schoolgirl-fights-off-kidnappers_SECVPF.gif

லக்னோ

உத்தர பிரதேச மாநிலம் லக்னோ மதியானவ் பாரத் நகர் காலனியை சேர்ந்தவர் சசிகாந்த் பாண்டே இவரது மகள் அன்ஷிகா பாண்டே அங்குள்ள யோகிதா பள்ளியில் படித்து வருகிறார்.நேற்று வழக்கம் போல் அன்ஷிகா பள்ளிக்கு சென்றார். அப்போது காரில் வந்த 2 மர்ம மனிதர்கள் அன்ஷிகாவிடம் ஒரு முகவரியை விசாரிப்பது போல் நடித்து உள்ளனர். பின்னர் கண்ணிமைக்கும் நேரத்தில் அவரின் கைகளைபிடித்து இழுத்து காருக்குள் தள்ளினர்.

உடனடியாக சுதாரித்து கொண்ட அன்ஷிகா உதவி கேட்டு கதறி அழத் தொடங்கினார். அப்போது ஒரு மர்ம ஆசாமி தான் வைத்திருந்த கத்தியை அவரது கழுத்தில் வைத்து மிரட்டினான். ஆனால் அன்ஷிகா பயப்படாமல் அவர்களுடன் போராடி உள்ளார். அப்போது அன்ஷிகாவின் பள்ளி நண்பர் அந்த வழியாக சென்று உள்ளார். உடனடியாக காப்பாற்றும்படி அழுது உள்ளார்.

உடனடியாக நண்பரும் உதவ வந்து உள்ளார்.இதை பார்த்து பொது மக்களும் கூட தொடங்கி மாணவியின் உதவிக்கு வந்து உள்ளனர்.இதை பார்த்த மர்ம் ஆசாமிகள் பயந்து மாணவியை அங்கேயே விட்டு விட்டு காரில் ஏறி தப்பி விட்டனர்.

அன்ஷிகாவில் கையில் காயம் ஏற்பட்டது இதை தொடர்ந்து அவர் வீட்டுக்கு சென்றார்.அங்கு தந்தையின் உதவியுடன் மருத்துவமனைக்கு சென்று சிகிச்சை பெற்றார். பின்னர் இது குறித்து மாண்டியாவ் போலீஸ் நிலையத்தில் புகார் அளித்தார்.

http://www.dailythanthi.com/News/India/2015/09/15142854/Brave-Lucknow-schoolgirl-fights-off-kidnappers-singlehandedly.vpf

ஆழ்துளை கிணற்றில் விழுந்த 2 வயது குழந்தை &#295

ஆழ்துளை கிணற்றில் விழுந்த 2 வயது குழந்தை உயிருடன் மீட்பு

September 12, 2015

பெரோசாபாத் : உத்தரபிரதேச மாநிலத்தில் ஆழ்துளை கிணற்றில் விழுந்த 2 வயது சிறுவன் அதிர்ஷ்டவசமாக உயிருடன் மீட்கப்பட்டான்.

12-1442071494-18-borewell.jpg

பெரோசாபாத் மாவட்டத்தில் உள்ள சைபூரி கிராமத்தை சேர்ந்தவர் பிரிஜேஷ். அவரது 2 வயது மகன் கிஷன். நேற்று சிறுவன் கிஷன் தனது வீடு அருகே நண்பர்களுடன் விளையாடிக் கொண்டிருந்தான்.

அப்போது அருகே உள்ள வயலில் இருந்த 70 அடி திறந்த வெளி ஆழ்துளை கிணற்றில் கிஷன் தவறி விழுந்தான். இதுபற்றிய தகவல் அந்த பகுதியில் காட்டுத்தீயாக பரவியது. பெற்றோர்களும் பொது மக்களும் நூற்றுக்கணக்கானவர்கள் அங்கு திரண்டனர்.

தகவல் அறிந்த தீயணைப்பு படையினரும், போலீசாரும் அங்கு விரைந்து வந்து 8 ஜே.சி.பி. எந்திரங்கள் மூலம் சிறுவன் விழுந்த இடத்திற்கு அருகே ராட்சத பள்ளம் தோண்டி மீட்பு பணியில் ஈடுபட்டனர்.

மாவட்ட ஆட்சியர் மற்றும் காவல் துறை உயர் அதிகாரிகள் முன்னிலையில் சுமார் 19 மணி நேர போராட்டத்துக்கு பின்னர் சிறுவன் கிஷன் உயிருடன் பத்திரமாக மீட்கப்பட்டான்.

அவனை உடனடியாக சிகிச்சைக்காக ஆஸ்பத்திரியில் சேர்த்தனர். குழந்தை நலமுடன் உள்ளதாக டாக்டர்கள் தெரிவித்தனர்.

மேலும் குழந்தையை மீட்கும் பணியில் ஈடுபட்ட தீயணைப்பு படையினருக்கும், போலீசாருக்கும், மாவட்ட ஆட்சித்தலைவருக்கும் கிராம மக்கள், குழந்தையின் பெற்றோர் கண்ணீர் மல்க நன்றி தெரிவித்தனர்.

http://tamil.oneindia.com/news/indi...ewell-uttar-pradesh-safe-rescue-e-235559.html

Nurse spends nine years caring for mother who gave her up for adoption

Nurse spends nine years caring for mother who gave her up for adoption

Tuesday 15 September 2015

Nurse spends nine years caring for mother who gave her up for adoption without revealing identity

Birmingham woman Phyllis Whitsell - who believed alcoholic mother died of tuberculosis - tracks her down and secretly cares for her for almost decade

whitsell3_3440586b.jpg

A district nurse traced the alcoholic mother who gave her up for adoption as a child and then cared for her for nine years until she died - without ever letting on she was her daughter.

Phyllis Whitsell, from Birmingham, was adopted aged four and told throughout her childhood that her mother Bridget Ryan had died of tuberculosis.

But it was a lie designed to protect the 59-year-old, from Selly Oak, from the truth as Ms Ryan was known in the Balsall Heath red light district as "Tipperary Mary".

But, despite the damage she did to herself, Ms Ryan was still alive. "I had always been told my parents were dead after contracting TB," said Whitsell. "I was instructed never to mention to anyone that I was adopted. I did confide in one school friend, but that resulted in threats of blackmail.

"It reinforced the idea that being adopted was shameful. Yet, still, throughout my childhood I was convinced, somehow, that my mother was alive. I told myself that one day, when I was old enough, I would track her down."

Ms Whitsell grew up in Birmingham before training as a nurse and eventually getting married and starting her own family. At Dudley Road Hospital, she worked her way through a variety of departments from A&E to surgical.

"Finding my mother was always at the back of my mind," she said. "But it wasn't until I was an adult, a trained nurse and married myself with a family of my own, that I was able to do it. In the past, information had often deliberately been withheld from adopted children anyway. Once I had left my adoptive parents' home, I could take matters into my own hands."

However, it was not going to be easy. "After I was counselled by a social worker - to prepare me for what I might find - I was able to get my original birth certificate from Somerset House," she said.
"My next port of call was the orphanage in Coleshill where I had been left as a baby. To my utter amazement, there was a member of staff who had been there since I was admitted at the age of eight months.

"She was reluctant to tell me much about my mother but it was clear that she disapproved of her. I had no idea why - I thought it was just because she had handed me over to the orphanage at such a young age.

"The more she tried to put me off, the more curious I became. Little did I know what I was going to uncover when I followed the trail with the help of social workers, probation officers and through other official channels.

"Eventually, I slipped under the radar and did my own detective work until one day I found myself - at long last - on Tipperary Mary's doorstep."

What she found both shocked and moved her, she admitted. Mrs Ryan was a chronic alcoholic, in a bad physical state, mentally unstable, abusive and well-known as a troublemaker.

She was not the mother she might have dreamed of finding when she was a pupil at St Margaret Mary's RC Primary School and later at Blessed Margaret Clitherow school in Pype Hayes. But there began the remarkable story.

"My job as a nurse protected me," said Ms Whitsell. "My uniform protected me. My training made we warm to her vulnerability and I could hide behind that role.
'

Nor could I turn my back on her. She wasn't the fairytale figure I had imagined, but she was still my mother...'

- Phyllis Whitsell

"Although my heart went out to the damaged woman who turned out to be my mother, I knew I could never allow her to disrupt my own family. But nor could I turn my back on her. She wasn't the fairytale figure I had imagined, but she was still my mother."

Ms Whitsell made an incredible decision. "By then, I was a district nurse," she explained. "So I just - unofficially - added her to my rounds. I took her clean clothes, bathed her wounds and got her to talk about the five children she had given away, including me.

"The day she spoke affectionately of 'little Phyllis' and told me my birth date accurately was the best, and the worst, day of my life."

She cared for her mother in this way from 1981 to 1990 without once telling Bridget that she was the little girl she had given away all those years ago.

It was only when Ms Ryan died at the age of 74 that the ties that bound them were finally severed. Ms Whitsell still cares for others, and works at a nursing home in Selly Park.

And perhaps the most remarkable thing about her is that she does not consider herself in any way "remarkable".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/

White House selects Indian-American teen for Champions of Change award

White House selects Indian-American teen for Champions of Change award

Sep 15 2015

Washington, September 15

A 15-year-old Indian-American girl has been selected by the White House for the prestigious Champions of Change award for empowering the community by imparting Internet coding through her non-profit organisation.

201509151952095731_WH-selects-IndianAmerican-teen-for-Champions-of-Change_SECVPF.gif

Swetha Prabakaran, whose parents immigrated from Tamil Nadu's Tirunelveli in 1998, is a junior at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, and hopes to continue inspiring young women to transform their future and the world.

Born in Indianapolis, Swetha is among eleven young women selected by the White House as 'Champions of Change'.

Swetha is the founder and CEO of Everybody Code Now!, a non-profit body working to empower the next generation of youth to become engineers, scientists, and entrepreneurs.

"Under Swetha's direction, Everybody Code Now! has taught hundreds of students how to code and has raised thousands of dollars for STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) activities in schools," the White House said.

"Her mentorship programmes have transformed shy young girls into confident students, community leaders, and budding technologists," the White House said in a statement.

In addition to her passion for science and computers, Swetha is an avid Bharatanatyam dancer; she did her Bharathanatya arangetram — the debut on-stage performance of a classical art student, after undertaking years of training — in Tirunelveli on August 2.

Her father Prabakaran Murugaiah is the founder and CEO of techfetch.com

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/world/white-house-selects-indian-american-teen-for-champions-of-change-award/133393.html

Also read from here

http://www.dailythanthi.com/News/Wo...dianAmerican-teen-for-Champions-of-Change.vpf

Nana Patekar, Akshay Kumar Donates 90 Lakhs To Maharashtra Farmers

Nana Patekar, Akshay Kumar Donates 90 Lakhs To Maharashtra Farmers

Sep 16, 2015

Nana Patekar donating Rs 15,000/- to each family from Vidarbha region

[FONT=arial !important]Mumbai: Akshay Kumar has extended a helping hand to the drought hit farmers of Maharashtra by contributing Rs 90 lakhs.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial !important]For the next 6 months, 30 farmers from each district will get Rs 50,000. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial !important]The noble mission was initiated in the presence of Beed districts IG Vishwas Nangre Patil and Akshay’s representative Vedant Bali.
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial !important]After veteran actor Nana Patekar and cricketer Ajinkya Rahane, Akshay has come forward to help the farmers.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial !important]Akshay’s efforts to help the farmers are really commendable.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial !important]Here’s congratulating Akshay for initiating this noble task.

http://zeenews.india.com/entertainm...d-to-farmers-donates-rs-90-lakhs_1797799.html

http://www.storypick.com/akshay-kumar-donating-90-lakhs/

[/FONT]

Indian bankers top Fortune's most powerful women list

Indian bankers top Fortune's most powerful women list

[FONT=fakt_smcon_prosemibold]SEP 14, 2015,

[/FONT]
Fortune magazine has ranked Indian bankers Chanda Kochhar and Arundhati Bhattacharya as the top two in a list of most powerful women in Asia Pacific.

Kochhar, 53 heads the country's largest private sector lender ICICI Bankstands tall at Number 1 on the list. The magazine has recognized Kochhar who has revolutionized Indian banking and for making ICICI Bank into the "nation's largest and most profitable private sector lender".

Kochhar is closely followed by Arundhati Bhattacharya, the chairman of the country's largest lender bank - State Bank of India. Bhattacharya has shot up from the fourth spot from last year.

Hindustan Petroleum Corporation's chairman and managing director Nishi Vasudeva is the 3rd Indian on the list at fifth rank. India's third largest private sector bank Axis Bank's managing director and CEO Shikha Sharma comes in ninth.

The list includes top executives from over 6 countries in the Asia Pacific. Chinese women lead the list with over 11 entries.

http://www.businessinsider.in/Indian-bankers-top-Fortunes-most-powerful-women-list/articleshow/48959245.cms

Indian Surgeon Inspired by Mother Teresa to Create Affordable Healthcare

Indian Surgeon Inspired by Mother Teresa to Create Affordable Healthcare

Sep 16, 2015

Dr.-Devi-Shetty.png

Serving as Mother Teresa’s personal physician late in her life inspired Dr. Devi Shetty to create an affordable health-care system for the poor. The company he founded, Narayana Health, now operates 32 hospitals across India.

Please also watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE04n-0mY3w

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2015/09/16/indian-surgeon-inspired-by-mother-teresa-to-create-affordable-healthcare/

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...ist-delivers-cardiac-surgery-henry-ford-style

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...sPu8cLlf-crc1nqvY=&docid=gbyGvYNsuo4_4M&itg=1

G R Radhika, the lady who has achieved the incredible feat -

G R Radhika, the lady who has achieved the incredible feat -

Meet G R Radhika, the lady who has achieved the incredible feat of becoming the first woman police officer from the states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh to scale the 7,077 metres high Mount Kun of Kashmir. We salute her spirit of adventure.
On Sept. 7, 2015, G R Radhika, the Additional Superintendent of Police (Admin) from Adilabad district of Telengana, scaled the 7,077 metres high Mount Kun in the Zanskar mountain range of Kashmir.

This 35-year-old former lecturer, is the first woman police officer from the states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh to achieve this feat.

coptel.jpg

SOURCE: YOUTUBE

She was the only Indian to reach the peak from among the eight other participants who attempted the climb. Other than her, an American and three Sherpas were able to achieve success. Nun (7,135 metres tall) and Kun are the two highest peaks in the Zanskar range.

“I felt on top of the world when I reached the peak. It was a challenging task but once I got there I felt the sky is not the limit if we have the determination,” she told The New Indian Express.

Radhika’s hometown is Anantapur in AP. She was posted as the DSP of Nellore city between 2009 and 2011. After that she worked in Karimnagar in 2012 and was then promoted to the post of ASP in January 2015.
This is not Radhika’s first adventure. Her journey as a mountaineer began in 2013 and this was her second attempt to conquer Mount Kun. It started when former Additional Director General of Police (ADGP), Rajiv Trivedi, who is now the principal secretary for Home in Telangana, recommended that she join the basic mountaineering course at the Jawahar Institute of Mountaineering and Winter Sports in Jammu and Kashmir. She completed the course with distinction and was then nominated for an advanced course at the same institute.
It was on Sept. 20, 2013, that Radhika first tasted success by scaling the 5,980 metre Golep Kangri peak, located in the Zanskar range of the Western Himalayas.

In addition to an adventurous spirit, Radhika has a philanthropic mindset as well. She is one of the police officers who have adopted different villages under the Grama Jyothi scheme of the Telangana Government. She has adopted the Ponnari village in Tamsi Mandal of Adilabad district and is working for its development.
This adventure lover is now planning to scale Mount Everest as well. “I will start preparing to climb Everest and will undergo training for the same. Mountaineering is not an easy task,” she says.

Radhika has received praise from various officers of the police department. The state police is also considering helping her financially, besides giving her special leave so she can pursue her mountaineering expeditions.
– Source….Tanaya Singh…www.the better india.com

http://natarajank.com/?blogsub=pending#subscribe-blog

From a farm labourer to an IT millionairess,

From a farm labourer to an IT millionairess,

14 SEPTEMBER, 2015

That night she decided to break the rules. With a few friends, whom she referred as akka, she did not return to the orphanage till way past midnight.

J

yothi Reddy at a village fair.It was Sivaratri, the great night of Shiva, when the planets are potently aligned to embrace his cosmic dance. After visiting the Shiva temple in their village, they decided to do something really daring — go for a movie, a blockbuster love story. She laughs, a deep throaty laugh, which betrays a teenager’s giggles at the memory of forbidden pleasure.

Anila Jyothi Reddy has travelled very far from that night and her obscure village in Warangal in Telangana.
Her memories though are as fresh as it were yesterday. “When we returned late in the night, we got a good thrashing from the warden. But I was so enamoured by the movie that I did not much care for the repercussion. I thought I should also marry for love,” she tells me.

Not all dreams come true

But fate — the eternal party spoiler – intervened. Jyothi was married off exactly a year later at the age of 16 to a man 10 years her senior. Love did not figure in the arrangement that her parents made for her future. All her hopes of a better life seemed to recede like the bullock cart in the rear view mirror of a speeding highway truck. He was a farmer who had not even passed the intermediate. She was thus doomed to a fate of a daily farm labourer slogging the whole day in the paddy field under the blazing hot Telangana sun.

For all her efforts, Jyothi earned a meager Rs 5 a day. She did this for five years from 1985 to 1990.

Jyothi as the CEO of Key Software Solution.“I became a mother at 17. I had to do all the household chores and then head straight to the fields. I would return home at dusk and get down to making dinner. We did not have any stove, so I had to cook on a wood fire chulha,” she tells me over the phone from Hyderabad, where she visits at this time of the year from her home in the US.

Today, Jyothi is the CEO of a $15 million IT company, Key Software Solutions, based in Phoenix, Arizona, US. Her incredible story seems to be the stuff of fiction conjured up by a shrewd novelist inflicting numerous sufferings on his protagonist to eventually make her a winner. Except here, Jyothi herself altered her destiny. Unwilling to live a life that was preordained for her, she beat all odds to emerge a winner.

A forced orphan

I could not stand being poor. I was born poor and was wed into another poor family,

she says.

Those days her dream was to have four plastic boxes full of daal (lentils) and rice.

“I would dream of having more than enough food to feed my children. I did not want to give them the life I was leading.” Having been married off at the age of 16, Jyothi became a mother at 17 with her first daughter, followed by another girl a year later. “At 18, I was a mother to two girls. There was never enough money for either medicine or to buy them toys.” When the time came to admit them in school, she opted for Telugu medium because the fees was Rs 25 a month, while for an English medium school it was Rs 50 per month.

“I could educate both my girls at Rs 50 hence I chose to send them to a Telugu medium school.”

Jyothi and her daughtersJyothi is the second among her four siblings.

Because of abject poverty at home, her father admitted his two daughters into an orphanage saying that they were motherless.

I lived in an orphanage for five years from class five to class 10. Life there was tougher. My sister could not manage and would cry the whole time. My father had to take her back home.

But Jyothi stuck on. Even though she missed her mother and needed her the most, she finally adjusted to remaining in the orphanage.

I remember a wealthy man would visit the orphanage every year to distribute sweets and blankets. I was a very sickly child then, and I would imagine myself being rich one day and carry a suitcase with 10 new saris in it,she laughs re-imagining her dreams those days, which she was afraid to share with her hostel mates lest they made fun of her.

Nobody’s children

Jyothi makes it a point to come to India every year on August 29. It is her birthday and she celebrates it with children in different orphanages in Warangal. She also sponsors a mentally challenged kids’ home where there are 220 children. She says passionately,

Jyothi with children at a school function.

Two percent of India’s population comprises orphans. They do not have any identification. They are uncared for and unwanted. The people who work in orphanages only work there for the money, and not to give care and love to the orphans.

She has been pursuing the cause of orphan children for many years now and has met ministers in power to bring the plight of these children to their notice. She is concerned that though the state government has released data for orphan boys till class 10 who are in child remand homes, there is no data for girl orphans.

“Where are the girls? Why are they missing?” she asks and replies to her own question. “Because they are trafficked; they are forced into prostitution. I visited one home in Hyderabad where six girls in their 10th class had given birth. In the same home, these mother orphans were living with their orphan children.”

Jyothi with HRD minister Smriti Irani

Being in a position of power today, Jyothi is voicing her concerns at every forum and making sure that the plight of the orphans does not go unheard. But there was a time when she had to be a mute spectator to the injustices meted out to her by her own husband and in-laws. With many mouths to feed and little or no income, life was hard. “My concern was my children. I had a lot of restrictions. I could not talk to any other men, could not go out besides going to work in the fields.”

But as they say where there’s a will, there’s a way. Jyothi heard an opportunity knock on her door when she started teaching the other farm hands at a night school.

From a labourer, she became a government teacher. “I would motivate them to learn the basics. That was my job. I soon got a promotion, and would visit every village in Warangal to train women and youth to learn to stitch clothes.” She was now earning Rs 120 a month. “It was as if I had got one lakh rupees. I could now spend on my children’s medicine. It was a lot of money for me.”

The American dream

Jyothi’s aspirations were slowly growing wings. She completed a vocational course from Ambedkar Open University and wanted to enroll for MA in English at Kakatiya University in Warangal. “I had often dreamt of having a name plate outside my house with the words ‘Dr Anila Jyothi Reddy.’” However, she could not pass her course and all her dreams of doing a PhD in English came to an end.

Jyothi with her daughters and husband.But a chance meeting with a cousin from the US fired her imagination and she knew it in her heart that if she had to escape this vortex of poverty she had to go to the US.

“This is too much, right? This is crazy,” she laughs again with joy in reply to my question on how she managed to go to the US.

Talking about her NRI cousin who inspired her, she says,

She had style. It was so different from my ‘teacher look’. I did not leave my hair loose, I did not wear goggles or drive a car. I asked her can I come to America.

Her cousin told her, “An aggressive woman like you can easily manage in America.”

Jyothi did not waste any time and enrolled for computer software classes. She would commute to Hyderabad daily because her husband did not like the idea of her living away from home. She was determined to go to the US. But it was hard to convince her husband. “I was really greedy to go to the US. That was the only way I thought I could give my children a good life.”

Jyothi celebrating her birthday with children at an orphanage.She took the help of relatives and friends to apply for a US visa.

I make use of every resource and time that I can manage. I never wasted time even while teaching. I used to run a chit fund for the other teachers. My salary in 1994-95 was Rs 5000, I used to earn Rs 25,000 from the chit fund — all this when I was only 23-24 years old. I tried to save as much as I could so that I could go to the US.

Jyothi’s biggest desire was to drive a car, and she knew only if she went to the US, she could drive one. “There were too many restrictions at home. But one good thing my husband has done is given me two children to fight my life,” she says with a chuckle. “My girls are like me. They are hard workers and do not waste time.” Her daughters are software engineers. They are both married now and live in the US.

From poverty to abundance

The American dream is not an easy one. Though Jyothi fought her fate and reached the land of opportunities, it was a rough ride. “There was no support for me there. I did not know English very well, and it was a struggle each day.”

She found a PG accommodation with a Gujarati family in New Jersey at $350 per month. “I did not have a cell phone. I used to walk three miles daily to work.” She worked as a sales girl, then as a room service person in a motel in South Carolina, as a baby sitter in Phoenix, Arizona, as a gas station attendant, and software recruiter in Virginia. Finally, she started her own business.

When I returned to my village after two years, I went to the village temple for Shiv puja and the priest told me, ‘you will not get a job in the US, but if you do business you will become a millionaire.’ I laughed at him because I knew how hard it was in America.

But those were prophetic words indeed. She finally took her daughters and her husband with her to the US.

Jyothi with Late President Abdul Kalam.

According to her, the late President Abdul Kalam was her mentor, and he would tell her that between the ages of 11 and 16 years, a child builds character. “I was in the orphanage in those years of my life. Even then I would help other children, and take care of those who cried and bought them ice lollies.”

Jyothi recalls how she would walk bare feet even during the harsh summer months. Curious, I ask her how many shoes she owns today? “I now have 200 pairs. It takes me 10 to 15 minutes to find a matching pair with my clothes.” And why shouldn’t she indulge. The first time she bought herself anything was when she was working as a teacher. “I had only two saris. I badly needed a third one. I bought a sari for myself for Rs 135 and believe it or not, I still have that sari.” I had to ask her which is the most expensive sari in her wardrobe? “I spent Rs 1 lakh, 60,000 on a blue and silver sari for my younger daughter’s wedding,” she tells me with a nervous laugh.

She owns six houses in the US and two in India. And yes, she finally made her dream of driving a car come true. She drives a Mercedes-Benz, sports dark glasses and keeps her hair loose.

J

Drive to succeed

Such has been her journey that Kakatiya University’s second degree English lesson has a chapter on her.
“Believe me, once I had begged the same university to give me a job and they had refused. Today, a lot of village children read about me and want to know who this living person is.”

She has been speaking to me for more than an hour while she is on her way to a meeting in Hyderabad. She is going to Delhi the next day to take her case about missing orphan girls to the ruling party.

Life for her is no longer looking into the rare view mirror and following rules made by other people. She is stepping up the accelerator at full speed ahead.
You can reach Jyothi here.

http://her.yourstory.com/jyothi-reddy-0914

வடை கடை மூலம் வாழ்க்கை: தள்ளாத வயதிலும் ம&#298

வடை கடை மூலம் வாழ்க்கை: தள்ளாத வயதிலும் மனம் தளராத தம்பதி

17 th Sep 2015

சேலம்: தள்ளாடும் வயதிலும், குறைந்த விலைக்கு வடை, பலகாரங்களை தயாரித்து விற்று, வாழ்க்கையை தலை நிமிர்ந்து எதிர்கொள்கின்றனர் சேலம் தம்பதியர்.

சேலம், லீபஜாரை சேர்ந்தவர் வரதராஜன்,75. இவரது மனைவி ஆதிலெட்சுமி,72. கடந்த, 1973 ல், மண வாழ்க்கையைத் துவக்கினர். குடும்பம் கடும் வறுமையில் வாடியது. வாழ்க்கை நடத்த ஏதாவது செய்யவேண்டிய கட்டாயம். அந்த நேரத்தில் லீபஜாருக்கு ஏராளமாக வியாபாரிகள், விவசாயிகள் வந்து சென்று கொண்டிருந்தனர். இவர்களை மையமாக வைத்து, பிழைப்பை நடத்த முடியுமா என, வரதராஜன் யோசித்தார். சுவையான பலகாரங்கள் தயாரிப்பதில் மனைவி வல்லவர். அதையே மூலதனமாக்கி வாழ்க்கையில் ஜெயிக்க முடியுமா என, மனைவியுடன் கலந்து ஆலோசித்தார்.

gallerye_010418254_1343729.jpg

அவருக்கு, பூரண ஒத்துழைப்பு தருவதாக மனைவி கூறவே, தயங்காமல் வடை வியாபாரம் துவக்கினார்.

அப்போது, ஐந்து காசு விலையில், வடை உட்பட பலகாரங்களை தயாரித்து விற்கத் துவங்கினர். நிறைந்த சுவையில், தரமான பலகாரங்கள், லீபஜாருக்கு வந்தவர்களைத் சுண்டி இழுத்தது. கடையைத் தேடி வாடிக்கையாளர்கள் வருவது அதிகரித்தது.சாலையோரக் கடையாக துவங்கியது பெட்டிக் கடையாக உரு மாற்றம் அடைந்தது. அதன் அருகிலேயே பலகாரங்கள் தயாரிப்பும் நடந்தது.தினமும் காலை, 8 மணிக்கு துவங்கி, மாலை, 6 மணி வரை, வியாபாரம் இன்றும் தொடர்கிறது. வடைக்கடை வருவாயில், மூன்று குழந்தைகளை வளர்த்து, திருமணம் செய்து, தனித்தனி குடும்பங்களாக உருவாக்கி விட்டனர்.

இப்போதும் வியாபாரத்தை தொடர்கின்றனர். விண்ணை முட்டும் அளவு விலை வாசி உயர்ந்து விட்ட போதிலும், இவர்கள் தயாரிக்கும் உணவுப்பண்டங்கள் விலை, விண்ணை முட்டவில்லை. கட்டுக்குள் இருக்கிறது. உளுந்து வடை, பருப்பு வடை, மிளகாய் பஜ்ஜி, போண்டா என, அனைத்து சுவைமிகு பலகாரங்களும் தலா, ஒரு ரூபாய் விலையில் விற்கின்றனர். இவற்றை சுவைப்பதற்கு என, பிரத்யேக வாடிக்கையாளர்கள் உள்ளனர்.

புளி, தயிர், தக்காளி, லெமன் சாதம் தயாரித்து, காலத்தின் தேவைக்கு ஏற்ப அவற்றை தலா, 12 ரூபாய் விலையில் விற்கின்றனர். தாத்தா, பாட்டி கடைக்கு, வியாபாரிகள், விவசாயிகள், மூட்டைத்துாக்கும் தொழிலாளர்கள் என,பல தரப்பினரின் வரவேற்பைப் பெற்று உள்ளது.

வரதராஜன் கூறியதாவது:வியாபாரத்தில், லாப நோக்கம் என் குறிக்கோள் அல்ல. அதே நேரத்தில், எங்கள் வாழ்க்கையை நடத்த அது உதவ வேண்டும். குறைந்த விலையில், தரமான பலகாரங்களை தயாரித்து விற்கிறோம். எங்கள் குழந்தைகளுக்கு திருமணம் செய்து வைத்து பேரன், பேத்திகளை கண்டுவிட்டோம்.சொந்த காலில் வாழ வேண்டும்; யாரையும் எதிர்பார்த்து கையேந்தி நிற்க கூடாது என்பதால், தொழிலை தொடர்ந்து செய்து வருகிறோம்.மனதில் உறுதியும், உடலில் தெம்பும் இருந்தால், உழைக்க வயது தடையாக இருக்காது. எந்த வயதிலும், எதையும் சாதிக்கலாம்.இவ்வாறு, அவர் கூறினார். வாழ விரும்பும் தலைமுறைக்கு, வழிகாட்டியாய் நிற்கின்றனர் இந்த தம்பதியர்.

http://www.dinamalar.com/news_detail.asp?id=1343729

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back