• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Marriage between Boys and girls from the Same Gothra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respected Members
I am relatively new to this forum but finds very very informative so far. I have a question and waiting for an earlier reply to this from this forum.

My parents (mother) is in look out for a bride for me. I am from Bharadwaj Gothra. My question is, there is anything wrong with marrying an Iyer girl from my same Gothra? We got a new proposal but she is from my same gothra.
Is there any possibilities for such marriages.

Waiting for your valuable suggestions and advices.

Thanks & Warm Regds
Rajkumar S

Last edited:
Mr. Rajkumar,

According to learned scholars, in the olden days, rishis were given villages from which to teach students. The students and their families took the name of that rishi as their "gOtra" or tribe. Consequentlly , there is a strong possibility that people of the same gotra may be be related.

Given this, tradition dictates that marriage should be between gotras only, not within them.

Respected Members
I am relatively new to this forum but finds very very informative so far. I have a question and waiting for an earlier reply to this from this forum.

My parents (mother) is in look out for a bribe for me. I am from Bharadwaj Gothra. My question is, there is anything wrong with marrying an Iyer girl from my same Gothra? We got a new proposal but she is from my same gothra.

Thanks & Warm Regds
Rajkumar S

Dea sir,

I am not expert on Gotra but from what I know people even marry their nieces and cousins who might not share the same Gotra but share enough genetic material.

If you actually conduct a DNA blood test you might find more similarity with a cousin or niece of a different Gotra than someone who is of the same Gotra but technically not related to you.

I am not promoting Sa gotra marriages in anyway but this is purely my personal opinion.

it is believed that every person originates/progenates from one Rishi resulting the offsprings become brothers/sisters. as we know, brothers and sisters dont marry. That is it prohibits marriage between same gotra persons. As Dr Renuka infer, even marriage between cousins is not advisable but we do viz. marriage between offsprings of sister and brother, of uncle and aunt etc. personally if you ask me, I dont advise marriage beween same gotras. but I know some such marriages

In my humble opinion, this practice indirectly served to prevent any endogamous marriages. Endogamous societies tend to have a high percent of recessive genes switched on. These recessive genes were switched off because they had a pathogenic effect on the normal metabolism. Endogamous societies like the parsis, have people with a lot of genetic defects, illnesses, and health problems. Societies that tended to "protect" pollution of their gene pool paid a heavy price. in India, there are 12 gotras (correct me if it is not so) so effectively one in every 12 is a blood relative. Considering that the gotra even for the girl is patrilineal, I believe that it would not affect you drastically if you married one of the same gotra. But depends on the genetic distance between you and the girl. So the call is yours. In my humble opinion, if you are not related, you can go ahead. But as I said, it is my opinion. If someone can add to my explanation, please feel free to add to what I have said.

Dear Renuka Madam
I am extremely sorry. Actually I mean Bride and not bribe. It was a typo error as I was on a hurry while posting the message. Thanks for the advice and I will correct it right now...

Dear Renuka Madam
I am extremely sorry. Actually I mean Bride and not bribe. It was a typo error as I was on a hurry while posting the message. Thanks for the advice and I will correct it right now...

dont worry dear...I can understand typo error do occur but it was funny too.
take care.

If you strictly go by horoscope same gothrams will not match. It is better to avoid sagothram marriage since the same is not supported by our elders.

Descendents of the Rishis.....

Respected Members

My parents (mother) is in look out for a bride for me. I am from Bharadwaj Gothra. My question is, there is anything wrong with marrying an Iyer girl from my same Gothra? We got a new proposal but she is from my same gothra.

Thanks & Warm Regds
Rajkumar S

GOthra primarily indicates that we are Descendents of the rishi... so as far as I know same gothra is not accepted. Even genetically it is not recommended to marry among close relatives which normally bring in birth defects. same theory is true with regard to same gothra... we call pereson from same gothra as gothra dayadhi....
Kirankumar

in his first note, Rajkumar mentioned only 'bride' but subsequently within the border, it is mentioned bribe. how come? I wonder. hope Rajkumar is not serious

in his first note, Rajkumar mentioned only 'bride' but subsequently within the border, it is mentioned bribe. how come? I wonder. hope Rajkumar is not serious

it was a typo and i alerted him and he corrected it..it happens dear.

Once a typo of the worst kind happened to me when I was on chat with a friend.
instead of typing 1 sec meaning to wait 1 second cos I wanted to attend a phone call, I accidentally typed 1 sex..(take a look at your keyboard..X is situated next to C)

it is believed that every person originates/progenates from one Rishi resulting the offsprings become brothers/sisters. as we know, brothers and sisters dont marry. That is it prohibits marriage between same gotra persons. As Dr Renuka infer, even marriage between cousins is not advisable but we do viz. marriage between offsprings of sister and brother, of uncle and aunt etc. personally if you ask me, I dont advise marriage beween same gotras. but I know some such marriages
dear sir,
in marriages we are first converting our brides to that of bridegrooms and then do the panigraha. can anybody explain why it is done so. Technically are we not marrying from the same gothra

In arranged marriages horoscopes of boys and girls of same gothras are not matched. What happens in love marriages.
I have seen many brahmin boys and brahmin girls of same gothras got married without heeding the advice of their parents.
As far as possible we can only pray that horoscopes of boys and girls of different gothras are matched for a variety
of reasons and benefits.
PC RAMABADRAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back