• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Love of the hatred..

This happened 2 months back. I was talking to a person.

He was telling me about how the same atma is in everyone and everything, including friends, enemies and how these concepts have been beautifully brought into our daily samskaras and anushtanas. He was stressing the importance of these and asking me to do sandhyavandanam atleast once daily etc etc to ensure we shed the acquired gunas and follow a sva-dharma more natural to us. This is what is maturing of mind, he said. I accepted it all.

Then his speech turned to politics. He was of the opinion that this particular party should not win election. Then he talked of a particular MLA , who he said was nAstik totally, though his wife and sons worship in temples. Then he said due to his pApA and the party he was in, he got covid, died and was cremated by Govt. Even his family was unable to see him.

I was taken aback at this duplicity. On one end he spoke about how that paramatma dwells in everyone and in the same breadth insulted a person who died of covid, blaming it on his pApA and his political party.

Then I said even our relatives have died of covid and were cremated unable to see their face. And did paramatma not dwell in that MLA who died of covid..? Then he adjusted saying covid is natural disease etc etc..

What made him say that probably is the hatred he acquired in the process of his growing up. It could be the '(brahmin) hate environment' that instilled hate on others, in him. But yet, people have to grow out of these kind of acquired gunas like hate and return to their sva-dharma devoid of acquired gunas in the process of growing up. All the samskaras and anushtanas were supposed to mature the mind and shed our acquired gunas (according to him).

But unfortunately people preach a lot, talk a lot of concepts, but when it comes to practise, they cannot overcome their acquired gunas and fall victim to it. They not only hate, but also preach hate and other vices.

mahA -periyava once said in a discourse, 'we can even kill a person, if that becomes dharma or karma, but that has to be without hate for that person". (somewhat similar to kamal killing nassar in climax in devar magan, it's inevitable, but not out of hatred. somewhat similar to soldiers fighting in the border to protect boundaries. It's inevitable to stop intrusion, but not out of hatred for them.).

It is tough to shed our acquired gunas and return to our sva-dharma.

The result is like we preach love, but actually love the hatred.

mahA -periyava once said in a discourse, 'we can even kill a person, if that becomes dharma or karma, but that has to be without hate for that person".

Agreed but please do not mistake me, don't quote this as this may give wrong interpretation in this world. Hence it may be edited appropriately.

He was telling me about how the same atma is in everyone and everything, including friends, enemies and how these concepts have been beautifully brought into our daily samskaras and anushtanas. He was stressing the importance of these and asking me to do sandhyavandanam atleast once daily etc etc to ensure we shed the acquired gunas and follow a sva-dharma more natural to us. This is what is maturing of mind, he said. I accepted it all.

Then his speech turned to politics. He was of the opinion that this particular party should not win election. Then he talked of a particular MLA , who he said was nAstik totally, though his wife and sons worship in temples. Then he said due to his pApA and the party he was in, he got covid, died and was cremated by Govt. Even his family was unable to see him.

I was taken aback at this duplicity. On one end he spoke about how that paramatma dwells in everyone and in the same breadth insulted a person who died of covid, blaming it on his pApA and his political party.

Then I said even our relatives have died of covid and were cremated unable to see their face. And did paramatma not dwell in that MLA who died of covid..? Then he adjusted saying covid is natural disease etc etc..

What made him say that probably is the hatred he acquired in the process of his growing up. It could be the '(brahmin) hate environment' that instilled hate on others, in him. But yet, people have to grow out of these kind of acquired gunas like hate and return to their sva-dharma devoid of acquired gunas in the process of growing up. All the samskaras and anushtanas were supposed to mature the mind and shed our acquired gunas (according to him).

But unfortunately people preach a lot, talk a lot of concepts, but when it comes to practise, they cannot overcome their acquired gunas and fall victim to it. They not only hate, but also preach hate and other vices.

mahA -periyava once said in a discourse, 'we can even kill a person, if that becomes dharma or karma, but that has to be without hate for that person". (somewhat similar to kamal killing nassar in climax in devar magan, it's inevitable, but not out of hatred. somewhat similar to soldiers fighting in the border to protect boundaries. It's inevitable to stop intrusion, but not out of hatred for them.).

Hardly surprising to hear of death explained in this manner. Human history is full of 'Holy Wars', 'Jihad', 'Crusades' etc. Hatred and atma go together just as God and war go hand in hand. Unfortunate but true.

The principle of 'Atma' is also accepted by eminent scientists. Though many work actively in creating weapons of mass destruction.

“Matter and energy are the two sides of the same coin; they are not two distinct entities at the subtlest level, opines a great physicist, Hans-Peter Duerr, Emeritus President of the Max Planck Institute in Munich, who succeeded Albert Einstein and Werner Heisenberg. Trying to look at matter at its subtlest level for the last 55 years, Hans-Peter recently realized that there is no matter distinct from energy at that level. That vast omnipotent energy is the universal consciousness (or God) and we humans are but a tiny bit of that consciousness, the individual consciousness”. – ‘The God within’ by Prof. B. M. Hegde.

Agreed but please do not mistake me, don't quote this as this may give wrong interpretation in this world. Hence it may be edited appropriately.

"mahA -periyava once said in a discourse, 'we can even kill a person, if that becomes dharma or karma, but that has to be without hate for that person".

I dont feel this needs to be edited cos it matches a stanza from the Bhagavad Gita which says to handle polar opposites alike and not have any personal take in it and one does not incur sin even when engaging in a war.

सुखदुःखे समे कृत्वा लाभालाभौ जयाजयौ ।
ततो युद्धाय युज्यस्व नैवं पापमवाप्स्यसि ॥

Transliteration​

sukhaduḥkhe same kṛtvā lābhālābhau jayājayau,
tato yuddhāya yujyasva naivaṁ pāpamavāpsyasi.

Sri Aurobindo’s Interpretation​

Make grief and happiness, loss and gain, victory and defeat equal to thy soul and then turn to battle; so thou shalt not incur sin.

Its not surprising at all.
We humans have personal preferences even while engaging in sadhana because the full effect of sadhana hasnt kicked in yet.

Over time when the sadhana has started to exert full effects, the ahamkara would loosen the grip and the mind would lose its personal take on any situation and would be able to see things as it is..what we call Viveka.

So this very person who said what you wrote would one day be able to see that a person died of covid becos of a cytokine storm and he had co morbidities and also the covid variant was a lethal one.
As to him being a nastika it was just the opposite end of the spectrum of being an astika..did he acquire papa?
That we dont know how Karma works..he being a nastika didnt impose his views on his wife and kids...his wife went to the temple to pray and surely she prayed for him too..
So to have someone pray for you isnt that punya ?

So this is where we realize we know nothing much about what lies beyond our perception..we would then drop all our mental dealings of being in the picture and be only in the NOW.

A doctor in the NOW prescribes antibiotics to kill bacteria..a soldier in the NOW fights and might kill...a cleaner in the NOW cleans and kills microbes ..they are all engaging in some form of " killing" here..Dharma or Karma?
Dharma of job and Karma of action.
Any Karmic debt? Nope if done with no personal interest.

We make the mistake to expect someone who prays and follows tradition to be a saint right away...it takes time and there is no time frame too...may be we would reach a clearer understanding in this life or some other life..God knows.

As to why sometimes the effects of Sadhana kicks in faster for some and slower for others...this would make us understand better...click to expand the read the whole message.

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy. “It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.”

He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

Last edited:

Latest ads

Back