• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Let us adopt best practices from various other societies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shri Sangom Sir

Thank you.Perhaps the points you have mentioned merits a separate thread and discussion .Right now I will stop since I seem to be deviating from the main topic of adopting best practices from other culture.

Namaskarams
Revathi

I feel that first we should try to adopt those practices which will reduce strewn garbage, dirty roads and open drains, etc., so that all people will get to live in a little better, healthier surroundings. Personal interactions and other things can come later.

.....Not pertnent to the discussion at hand. Just a rant based on ideology.

Dear Shri KRS, I won't bother you with a lot of rant, I have already said all I wanted to, which is, the prevailing atmosphere for Muslims in the U.S., is, you are guilty until proven innocent. For those of you in India, just imagine if those who express intensely critical views against the Christian missionaries are made to answer for the murders committed by Bajrang Dal in Orissa. That is what the Muslims in the U.S. are subjected to by the right-wing.

Cheers!

Dear Shri KRS, I won't bother you with a lot of rant, I have already said all I wanted to, which is, the prevailing atmosphere for Muslims in the U.S., is, you are guilty until proven innocent. For those of you in India, just imagine if those who express intensely critical views against the Christian missionaries are made to answer for the murders committed by Bajrang Dal in Orissa. That is what the Muslims in the U.S. are subjected to by the right-wing.

Cheers!

Kandhalmal riots in Orissa started only after murder of Swami Lakshmananda, a Hindu Sanyasi. Locals believed that he was killed by Christians and then violence started.

While violence in any form has to be condemned in the strongest terms whether it is by Hindus or Muslims or Christians or any other religion, in this particular case it is the Christians who have provoked the violence and got the reaction from the Hindu groups.

There is proverb in Tamil, கத்தியை எடுத்தவன் கத்தியால்தான் சாவான்

LTTE Prabhakaran is the best example.

The same thing would have happened at Kandhamal, Orissa also

All the best

Dear Professor Ji,

While I agree that there may be general 'fear' and 'suspicion' in terms of seeing a muslim in their traditional garb, ala Juan Williams, I do not think that this 'you are guilty, until proven otherwise' from legal standpoint is prevalent. As I have said, there is a huge muslim population living in my town and they are flourishing. This is a fairly conservative town with many churches. I have not come across any tensions between the communities based on religion. We have whites, blacks, hispanics, asians (lots of Koreans) living here. Very peaceful place.

Regards,
KRS

Cheers!

We can adopt the practice of collective worship at least once in a week. We may gather in nearest temple and do some rituals and sing Bhajans.
We should learn from Germans, Japan and Israel their appetite for excellence in every field from Pure Physics to Special Forces training.
We should adopt from Hispanics and Africans their love for football which is good for health.

I feel that first we should try to adopt those practices which will reduce strewn garbage, dirty roads and open drains, etc., so that all people will get to live in a little better, healthier surroundings. Personal interactions and other things can come later.

Which I agree, incidentally I was about to post the same point.

Only thing this cannot be adopted just like that, but public civic sense should be taught and imbibed both at school and from home for the younger generation.Some how, both the rich and the poor, the literate and the illiterate,the traditional and the modern - every body seem to think that keeping their house spic and span is the beginning and the end of civic sense.

Spitting from the vehicles is another practice we can do without.I generally walk to office and I takes all my skills to save me from these stuff.

Namaskarams
Revathi

i agree with hoover, collective worship, brings us close like nothing else. there are lots of religious folks here, particularly of the younger generation. getting together once a week for bhajans and such like is not only bonding among ourselves but with God too. only thing, i would be inclusive and ensure that other castes including dalits are not only welcome, but are well represented.

reva, in order to faclilitate clean environment, it is as simple as having garbage bins every 100 yards or so. i am quite sure, that when you want to throw a plaintain skin, and if you look around and find an empty garbage bin nearby, you would have no issue walking the extra few yards to dispose it.

once this habit becomes engrained, you feel guilty of littering. that is the state to achieve for.

singapore, oft cited example here, in this forum, instituted a very long time ago, stiff punishments (heavy fines) for littering and spitting on the roads. it is still in force and as far as i know, enforced. the only place where even the singapore government gave up? - serangoon road which still had vethla paak stains all over the road and walls. :)

incidentally one of my visists to s'pore, my son opened up a packet of bubble gum. immediately a passing citizen, stopped by, and told us, to put it away. it is a crime in s'pore to chew gum. why? the fear, that once chewed, the gum would be affixed to the bottom of bus or subway seats!! oh well!!!!!!!!!!!

RVR,

in all your experiences as a private entrepreneur, how did you maintain the quality of your supply chain - , cost, integrity of the stock without dilution and above all 'in time' delivery?

from what you have said, you had a foreign clientele, and so, your competition is indeed the globe. what is your strategy to hold on to your clients and not seek a competitor.

i am told that personal relationships mean a great deal with some nationalities. others it is clinical, in the sense that you do your job right to the expectations, and they will keep you. i also realize there is no such thing as job security ie contract security in your case. any feedbacks?

human resources: how do you hire your employees? do you do any special training? how do you prevent turnovers of experienced resources.

there is a double edged reason why i am asking this. there are lots of folks in this forum, who insist that tambrams give preferential employment to their own kind. i am not so sure, if it is practical.

RVR, for you unless you have the best employee, you are not going to get the best product, even with all the automation. for a office manager, his career and reputation depends on the quality of work of his/her subordinates. if one does not have a good time, or even if there is one weak link, it affects the team's performance.

in my own 35+ years experience in the work force, the work of a weak link, is distributed among the better staff, and is unfair to both. so, i am pulled two ways to the concept of preferential employment by reason of caste or community, especially in competitive private industries.

with governments, i agree, employment is a social integration tool, and hiring and promotions, are more apt to follow social policies, which are outcome of elections and a need to set right historical inequalities. let us skip that part here in this thread.

thank you RVR. over to you.

Kunjuppu ji,

There is no permanent client and each client is under tremendous pressure on cost front. If they get products at cheaper price from China, they will switch over to them in no time. Margins are getting squeezed on a continuous basis and one can make money only through higher volumes. For reaching higher volumes, the supply chain has to be efficient and no second thoughts about it. Otherwise funding working capital will be a big problem. Both materials management and working capital management have to be closely integrated to achieve best efficiency.

There is shortage of work force in Chennai. Labour cost is going up every year on a continuous basis and we can control the same only by improving productivity. If we are getting 100 units per hour production now, we have to ensure that we get atleast 110 units per hour from the same line next year to keep atleast floating in the market place.

Human Relations Management is a big task and we are continuously learning. On the one side we have to dance to the tune of our customers and on the other side we are forced to fulfill the aspirations of our employees. There is no place of my personal preferences at my work place and I have to choose the best candidate for the task irrespective of his religion, caste, language or race. If I don't follow this policy, I will be thrown out of my business.

As you rightly pointed out, improving Supply Chain, productivity etc must reach higher targets every year to keep the business floating at least if not growing.

All the best

There is shortage of work force in Chennai. Labour cost is going up every year on a continuous basis and we can control the same only by improving productivity. If we are getting 100 units per hour production now, we have to ensure that we get atleast 110 units per hour from the same line next year to keep atleast floating in the market place.

Human Relations Management is a big task and we are continuously learning. On the one side we have to dance to the tune of our customers and on the other side we are forced to fulfill the aspirations of our employees. There is no place of my personal preferences at my work place and I have to choose the best candidate for the task irrespective of his religion, caste, language or race. If I don't follow this policy, I will be thrown out of my business.

Thanks RVR.

which may touch upon one of the sore issues we have ie tambrams not supporting their own, when it comes to hiring. i would like to discuss it with you, bereft of emotions from other folks, because i think, between you and me we can look it at objectively, and ensure that no betrayal has been committed and no expectations are raised either.

a good job is a lifeblood of any family and i suspect, that in tamil nadu too, we have this paradox, of unemployment coexisting with labour shortages. it is the same in canada, and probably in the usa too.

i have personally patronized tambram business just for the sake of caste and have been burnt in 100% of the cases. supporting someone for the wrong reason, ie caste, when i should be spending my hard earned money wisely, is the first mistake. it encourages a certain complacency which borders a shortcuts and deterioration of quality and service.

the last instance, was when i came to india a few months ago, for wedding of a neice. we had the pondugal function to be starting at 10 on a weekday. the caterer, of a tambram, was asked to deliver at 9:30 the food. the food turned up past noon, the excuse given, that the lady had to get her own kids ready to school etc etc. why did they take the order? we could have gone elsewhere?

the same goes for vatthal guys, who sure present themselves regularly, with ever increasing prices and poorer quality. there is a simple formula to success - delight the customer. unfortunately in small tambram business, started ad hoc, i don't know whether it is deeply held belief that business is to make money hook or crook, and that the customer will not notice the shortfalls? or simply that the business is doing so poorly, that they have to take short cuts - which in itself is a downward spiral?

many tambrams who indulge in the food prep trade find it a difficult go, because this trade is so finnicky and on top of that the need for freshness. a murukku or adhirasam's life span is a few days, and if it is not sold, should be discarded. which may not be palatable to the entrepreneur. the concept of mark downs, fast turnovers, low margin and high volume are concepts that may be ingrained in the chettiaars, nadars or muslim shopkeepers, but unfamiliar to us, especially the group that is trying to subsist by these manufactured food industries. even daily caterers, sometimes have been known to adulterate the leftover morning food and pass it off as fresh for the dinner. except when you open the tiffin box and find the nasty smell of spoilt coconut and throw away the entire container....

a

Last edited:
reva, in order to faclilitate clean environment, it is as simple as having garbage bins every 100 yards or so. i am quite sure, that when you want to throw a plaintain skin, and if you look around and find an empty garbage bin nearby, you would have no issue walking the extra few yards to dispose it.
once this habit becomes engrained, you feel guilty of littering. that is the state to achieve for.

Shri Kunjuppu Sir,
In Bangalore, the corporation has dispensed with the system of garbage bins around 5-6 years back. Citizens, throw into the garbage bins as if they are practicing basket ball/Volley ball lest the germs from the bins affect them and garbage in variable lands anywhere out side the bin! The result was that the whole area was stinking with the stray dogs pulling the garbage out of the bags and the bins.

Every day morning, you would see Powrakarmikas (A word in Kannada to indicate the workers who collect garbage) starting at around 6;30 AM in the morning collecting the garbage from each house.We make sure we sort and keep the previous day garbage by the time she arrives. If she does not come a day, we have a phone number whom whom contacted will send an alternate.
(The pathetic state of Powrakarmikas merits another discussion , which I will skip now)
The saddest part is how some of the residents’ behave. The servant maids finish the work after the Powrakarmikas finish the rounds; or in some houses they wake up late.The house owners do not want to wait till next day. So ask the maids to take the garbage bag and place it under a tree; worse some of them throw it from their car- All they care is the garbage is out of their house and in front of some others.

Our area is dominated by two car families . My guess is many residents' annual income would be in the range of 25- 50+ Lakhs per annum.
Many a times it has landed in front of our house where there is a tree.

My husband and I try to educate them by writing periodic letters. Once my husband found the address of the house from the letter thrown along with garbage and we went with the evidence. The house owner , a retired Person, obviously from a high post , refused to accept that that his servant maid has thrown the garbage and we are “manufacturing” the evidence. Pray, for what! He also told us he has lived in the west (which he thinks gives him an automatic right to behave the way he wants?)
Worst part the same people will write letters to “Times of India” on how bad Indian cities are!

Sometimes I would be tired of preaching my street residents and at times of disgust I feel like running out of this country. But I will come back to my senses and would think “Let me try my best” in what ever small way I can.

Namaskarams
Revathi

Last edited by a moderator:
In this country ot vote bank policies, stiff punishment for littering etc. is a day dream.
only three percent brhamin being clean is not going to change anything except, increase in quarrels with neigbours. so we should not care much for that. If we have choosen to live in the piggery then we should not care for the dirt.
cleanliness and neatness( in public sphere) is again a phenomena seen in western countries and for achieving that we have to change DNA s of mejoriy of people here wchich is again not possible.
Third, If citizens are caring for litter and cleanness of public places, automatically they are leaving public institutions like municipalities of their duties, ignoring the large amount of money they are getting from budgetary allocations. It is most wrong. They should be made more responsible.
instead of collecting litter like scavengers, we should force the people to do that, it is duty of whom to do that work, for which they are getting salaries and funds in billions of rupees. Is there any way to force them?.

Sri. Hoover sir said -

cleanliness and neatness( in public sphere) is again a phenomena seen in western countries and for achieving that we have to change DNA s of mejoriy of people here wchich is again not possible.

Greetings, sir. I think you were frustrated when you wrote the quoted message. These people do not need any DNA changes. These same persons, if and when they land on the small island country called 'Singapore', will pack all their garbge, including nappies and dispose them responsibly in the rubbish bin! It is not the DNA, but a $500 fine which makes them very responsible.

Not all the western cities are clean either. I found Thirumala, very clean inspite of the huge floating population. Most western cities may not be as efficient as Thirumala.

Cheers!

In this country ot vote bank policies, stiff punishment for littering etc. is a day dream.
only three percent brhamin being clean is not going to change anything except, increase in quarrels with neigbours. so we should not care much for that. If we have choosen to live in the piggery then we should not care for the dirt.
Shri Hoover sir,

With all due respect to brahmins I submit that when it comes to civic sense brahmins are in no way better. Even in the olden days, I am talking about 50 to 60 years or so ago, it was a common scene in agrahaarams of neighbours fighting because the குப்பை from the frontage of one house would be swept on to the next one, not collected and removed. It was common to see small partitions formed by the accumulated dirt as large borders in front of houses. This phenomenon stopped only after vehicles like taxi, lorries etc., started plying through some (not all) of the agrahaarams.

The same was the case in the backyard or what used to be called கொல்லை. People used to blissfully throw unwanted stuff into the next compound when no one would be looking. This chosing of the correct moment, also took great skill in observing the routine in the neighbouring houses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back