• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Let us adopt best practices from various other societies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RVR

Sri KRS ji,

I just made a posting regarding the correction in the other thread and wanted to write to you regarding your apology on `anti-brahmin' statement.

I earnestly feel that no apology is required from you in this regard. I am in no position to accept apology and I also avoid tendering apology.

The word apology has great significance in the Tamil Literature. Poet Nakkeerar, head of the poets during third Tamil Sangom, refused to tender apology to Lord Shiva. His commitment to Tamil language is such that he was willing to undergo any punishment from Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva conducted the whole episode to show the world greatness of Poet Nakkeerar.

Both of us have studied Tamil Language under famous trio of our college those days - Prof Radhakrishnan, Pulavar Thirumeni and Prof Satyaseelan.

I met Prof Satyaseelan few years back and he very much remembered me. I just recollected his lectures on Poet Nakkeerar's Nedu Nal Vaadai நெடு நல் வாடை. The entire classroom use to maintain pin drop silence when he brings ancient Madurai in front of our eyes explaining Poet Nakkeerar's compositions.
Any way they are all sweet memories which both of us can remember during our life time.

Coming to the point of this thread, there are good practices which are going on globally at various societies. Personally I know only the shop floor practices and work ethics at ground level. I shall discuss my experiences here and also I request our fellow members dispersed globally to share their best experience here.

I always remember the practice of `honey bees'. There may be many variety of flowers in the garden but the honey bees invariably picks the sweetest honey yielding flowers for its activity. I think we can also follow the same principle and try to collect the best practices from each society.

It could be a two way process where people living outside India can also pick the best practices from their Indian counterparts.

I shall post some of my experiences country wise tomorrow.

All the best

Sri RVR sir,
The first thing to learn for brahmin is the sense of brotherhood from a lot of other communities.
Instead from learning from any other else, Brahmin have a lot to learn from Jews.

Sri RVR sir,
The first thing to learn for brahmin is the sense of brotherhood from a lot of other communities.
Instead from learning from any other else, Brahmin have a lot to learn from Jews.

Hoover,

Let us learn from other communities in our neighborhoods `joint family concept first. Only we `tamil brahmins' are discarding joint family concept where as most of the other communities are still practicing the concept. Elders are highly respected and they live with their children.

Japanese still practice joint family concept where elders don't have to search old age homes.

Jews are highly materialistic where as our community is suppose to be more spiritualistic. Let us not give up our spiritualistic thoughts for the sake of materialism.

I just want to remind the song of Saint Thiagayya beginning `Nidhi Saala Sugama' where he wants the lotus feet of Lord Rama and refuses to accept the ministerial post and benefits from the King. This was composed just 160 years back. Our telugu friends here can probably translate the complete meanings and post here.

All the same

Sri RVR sir,

Dear Sri "hoover",

Interesting suggestion. But Jews are different , their sense of brotherhood for self preservation ebbs when ever they face an adversary. This hard fact they learnt due to the systematic, state-sponsored persecution and murder of approximately six million Jews by the Nazi regime. A peace loving and highly Cultured and shrewd community turned into invincible martial people to safe guard their race, due to the same reason. However please note that Jews do not "herd together" for any other reason. In the last elections to their Parliament Knesset in 2009 there were 33 recognised Jewish political parties with different ideologies, which stood for the elections.

Brahmins form an important part of the majority community in India. We are different from Jews. We enjoy all the privileges and safe guards of the Constitution. We try to live peacefully amongst all communities and help evolving a new Social fabric without Communal and caste differences. Let us emulate the members of Parsee Community and try to sweeten the Society by mixing "Sugar in Milk".

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Respectable members,

I found Harijan communities very humble.

Amoung many other examples, one example stands etched in my mind. It was just before Pongal period. I 'found' this maize field; maize was harvested, still the dry plants were standing. It was abundant with மொச்சை plants. I took it as wild plants. One day I went there with a bag and started 'collecting' மொச்சை காய். I was about 11 years old.One kid came along and asked me to go with him. I went. There were a group of people standing there wondering what to do with me! In their opinion, I was stealing மொச்சை காய்; after hearing that, I was quite angry, defending myself that it was wild plant! i learne later, it belonged to someone. Once they realised that I didn't mean to steal, I was asked to stay with the elders , while couple of kids actually plucked good, quality மொச்சை காய், for me to take home. Although I was arrogant, they were polite towards me. it was not just my age; if they wanted to, they could have ridiculed my parents by presenting me as a thief in the village; but they did not.

I have not seen any other community that humble yet.

Cheers!

Respectable members,

Greetings. I observed Chinese labourers very hard working. In Tamizh communities, I found 'Gounder' community very hard working. I have seen some of the gentlemen manually or with two ox, get the water out of the well to irriagate a field, almost all day. In the evenings, the same gentlemen can be seen working the farm until sunset; they can be seen getting the stones and gravels from quaries too. (The setback I noticed, majority of them ended up in arrack shop in the evenings. One does not need to pick that habit though).

Cheers!

Tamils, brahmins or others, would do well to learn from N. Indians. For them no language is a taboo. For Lord Shiva, no language is a taboo.

Sri Raghy,

Dalith Vs Brahmin is an imaginary creation which personally I don't accept.

In our village, there are rivers on both sides of the village. There are check dams in the rivers where water will be stored and when it comes out of the shutters, it use to come out with high force and pressure. We use to enjoy taking bath in the shutters facing water force.

If I remember correct, it was 1971 or so when the liquor shops were first opened in Tamilandu after a long gap of prohibition. I along with some of my friends from Agraharam went to take bath in the river. One of my senior (may be around 7 to 8years older than me) who was working for Air Force and came to our village for vocation came along with us. He went to the nearby liquor shop, had his quota and then joined us later at the river. When we were returning from the river, I just met one of our dalith farm employee. He asked me to go home immediately in little tough tone which normally he doesn't display again me.

Normally I never tell my father about all my day to day activities but he will get information about all my movements through his own network. Next day my father just asked me whether I went to the river previous day. I said yes. Then he asked me whether the air force gentlemen also came along with us. I said yes. Then he asked me whether he went to the liquor shop. I said yes. Then he told me that our dalith farm worker has told all the information and also told him that I never went to the liquor shop. He has told my father that I should not move closely with the Air force guy.

We have sold all our properties in our village but my father ensured that some of the lands were given to all our employees. Even now I meet his son whenever I visit my village.

Looking back after several decades, I use to wonder how much love & affection he had for me and how much responsibility he had in shaping my career.

All the best

Sri. RVR Sir,

Sri Raghy,

Dalith Vs Brahmin is an imaginary creation which personally I don't accept.

Sir, I did not say anything in my message to that effect, please. All I brought forward was the humble quality. That's all. In my experience, Harijans and caste brahmins are very compatible. I have not seen anything untoward so far, not in the villages. I do not know much about the cities. I thought, I should make my message more clearer.

Cheers!

Sri. RVR Sir,

Sir, I did not say anything in my message to that effect, please. All I brought forward was the humble quality. That's all. In my experience, Harijans and caste brahmins are very compatible. I have not seen anything untoward so far, not in the villages. I do not know much about the cities. I thought, I should make my message more clearer.

Cheers!

I agree with you absolutely Sri Raghy,

There is no difference in perception between both of us.

The imaginary creation is by politicians who have divisive agenda.

All the best

Respectable members,

Greetings. I observed Chinese labourers very hard working. In Tamizh communities, I found 'Gounder' community very hard working. I have seen some of the gentlemen manually or with two ox, get the water out of the well to irriagate a field, almost all day. In the evenings, the same gentlemen can be seen working the farm until sunset; they can be seen getting the stones and gravels from quaries too. (The setback I noticed, majority of them ended up in arrack shop in the evenings. One does not need to pick that habit though).

Cheers!
My wife's grandfather, a very orthodox brahmin, who had some agricultural lands of his own, used to say that the farm labourers will need good quality "toddy" in the evenings to make them fit for another day's manual labour next morning. He never criticised the existence of toddy shops but would never have allowed any brahmin drinking even for a thrill! Those days only toddy shops and opium were there. I don't know exactly when "arrack" came into the scene.

Sri. RVR Sir,

Cheers!
This is exactly what Smt. Mayawati has understood and used in her political career.

We are losing our own identity, rituals, culture, habits (including eating habits), language, knowledge of Scriptures... the list can go on and on!

I feel that before we absorb 'the best' from the other communities, we should revive our own!

Dear Madam,

Kindly allow me to differ.I feel that both can happen in a parallel way.

When I learn some good practice from the place I visit (Including within and outside India), I will always think that "Oh I should communicate my dear ones, friends".So by sharing and learning from these good practices, we are not going to lose anything.We will also enrich our culture.

Regards
Revathi

here are good experiences with lower caste people. may I know when these incidents happened. certainaily it is not before monts, years but decades ago.
community then atleast in villeges was benevolant, in general.

We are losing our own identity, rituals, culture, habits (including eating habits), language, knowledge of Scriptures... the list can go on and on!

I feel that before we absorb 'the best' from the other communities, we should revive our own!

Madam,

I fully agree with you that we should continue to nurture the best practices which we have inherited from our forefathers, scriptures and other sources.

At the same time, we should also on the look out for new things which are already practiced elsewhere in the world and if we find the same good, there is nothing wrong in adopting it.

All the best

Last edited:
here are good experiences with lower caste people. may I know when these incidents happened. certainaily it is not before monts, years but decades ago.
community then atleast in villeges was benevolant, in general.

Sri. Hoover Sir,

I had nice experiences (with the so called lower caste people) as late as July 2010. I admit, it also depends upon my approach too. When others see me approaching with an inclusive gesture, initial impact is to provide me with a friendly reception. Sir, most of these people may belong to 'lower caste' as per the Indian society; but I was fortunate to come across gems of persons from such castes (from higher castes too). Every caste/community has its share of honourable/nice/broad-minded persons.

That's why I look at the person first; only if necessasary, I enquire about caste/creed/religion/nationality etc.

Cheers!

My wife's grandfather, a very orthodox brahmin, who had some agricultural lands of his own, used to say that the farm labourers will need good quality "toddy" in the evenings to make them fit for another day's manual labour next morning. He never criticised the existence of toddy shops but would never have allowed any brahmin drinking even for a thrill! Those days only toddy shops and opium were there. I don't know exactly when "arrack" came into the scene.

Sri. Sangom Sir,

Greetings. After reading your post, I was curious too. I Googled Arrack....

Arrack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interestingly, Arrack has an origin in Middle Eastern countries too! May be it came to India from one of those countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arak_(drink)

(I was told, toddy tastes really good! In Kerala, people add toddy in இட்லி மாவு and make இட்லி! May be I should try such Idly in the next visit to India).

Cheers!

Corruption is one of the greatest problem hogging our Country.
We can learn from Americans, the Institutions required to build transparency in the system.

Another thing I'm impressed is Bridge Building. Their Engineering in this is amazing.

thanks,

Corruption is one of the greatest problem hogging our Country.
We can learn from Americans, the Institutions required to build transparency in the system.

Another thing I'm impressed is Bridge Building. Their Engineering in this is amazing.

thanks,

I fully agree with you that corruption has to be eliminated at all levels. If we emulate nearby Singapore, it will be really good.

Project Management as such is a big problem here including bridges, roads, dams, buildings etc. We are very good at planning but are very poor in execution. Recent Common Wealth Games is the best example where we delayed everything till the last minute but just managed to scrap through.

All the best

I fully agree with you that corruption has to be eliminated at all levels. If we emulate nearby Singapore, it will be really good.
I don't know much about Singapore, for my benefit can you tell what methods they use in Singapore?
Is it strict implementation of Law?

I heard 'Hong Kong used to have the highest corruption rates a few decades back. But they had successfully minimized it.

thanks,

I don't know much about Singapore, for my benefit can you tell what methods they use in Singapore?
Is it strict implementation of Law?

I heard 'Hong Kong used to have the highest corruption rates a few decades back. But they had successfully minimized it.

thanks,

Singapore has highest level of transparency. They use information technology to the fullest extent and you can get most of the things done through internet without the need to meet any official. When there is no one to one contact between the Government official and the citizen, then corruption is eliminated to a great extent. To the best of my knowledge only Singapore issues `Visa' over the net. Any Singapore citizen or permanent resident can sponsor a visitor to Singapore through online and get `e visa' within few hours. To the best of my knowledge, I have not heard such a facility anywhere in the world.

Please read the latest news item

Denmark, New Zealand and Singapore top list of least corrupt countries - Telegraph

Enforcement of law is very strict and nobody can attempt any shortcut. People will be afraid of violating the law. Our own country people behave better at Singapore Airport when they board a plane and behave differently when they get down at Chennai.

All the best

Dear Mr. RVR and Ms. Revathy,

Decorating a building (adorning our culture) by adding flourishes (the best borrowed from elsewhere) can happen only when the building is strong and sturdy.

What is point is in trying to beautify a shaky building, without proper foundation?

with warm regards,
V.R.

Dear Mr. RVR and Ms. Revathy,

Decorating a building (adorning our culture) by adding flourishes (the best borrowed from elsewhere) can happen only when the building is strong and sturdy.

What is point is in trying to beautify a shaky building, without proper foundation?

with warm regards,
V.R.

Madam,

Our foundation is the strongest of all the foundations.- Our four Vedhas

Our building is also very strong - Upanishads.

Our decorations are most beautiful - Idikasa Puranas and other scriptures

I am sure you will agree with me that none us are capable of doing anything on the above. If we preserve the above properly we may be doing great service to the society.

What I am talking is entirely outside the scope of all the above. For example eliminating corruption in our system, improving our project management, improving our education system etc.

I think I have wrongly communicated to you.

All the best

Madam Visalakshi Ramani,

Please read the following news item

BCCI to clip Sunny's wings?, Times of India

We all love Indian Cricket as well their all time greats like Sunil Gavaskar, Kapil Dev, Tendulkar etc.

But if Sunil Gavaskar's integrity is questionable, I don't know whom I should believe.

I opened this particular thread to bring best practices to our system where there is no conflict of interest involved just like the above story about Gavaskar.

I hope you understand my point.

All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back