• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

kula devatha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kula Deivam

At the outset, let me tell you that I not an authority on this subject. But I would like to share with you whatever little knowledge I have gained from inter-actions with our elders.

People in the traditional Hindu families have this concept of Kula Deivam. Perhaps, it is the Deity which was worshipped by our forefathers for generations. Most of us have migrated to new places and many among us have little or no knowledge of our own ancestral village. Whether we know it or not, there is no arguing the fact that our ancestors were attached to some place and worshipped some Deity with complete surrender. Any blessings received by our forefathers also must encompass seven generations.

That is to say, the effect of any action that I perform will affect the next seven generations. After that the link becomes weak. It means that if our ancestors worshipped a particular Deity with complete faith and surrender, the connection with the Deity and our ancestors will stand good for seven generations. As more and more generations continue this faithfully, a relationship similar to mother and child is created between the Deity and us. The vibrations of thought are picked up by this aspect of divinity faster than the other forms of God Almighty.

This does not diminish the significance of Ishta Devata. Ishta Devata is that aspect of God that is more attractive to you in this life. You have chosen Him as you will a friend or Teacher whereas Kula Devata is like your family. You may be a good friend, good follower, good student but what good is if you are not a good son or daughter?

My Kula Devatas are Angala Parameswari and Thandavaraya Swami. They must be worshipped like our mother and father. Blessings sought before any auspicious activity is undertaken. Lord Vighneswara, the Kula Devatas and Gurus must be propitiated always. They are the steps one must take to progress further. Without their blessings nothing is possible.

How do we find out about our Kula Deivam? The easy way is to ask around. Someone in the family must know, indeed. But the problem is that many of us have lost contact with even our own relatives. If this is the case with you, what can you do? The answer is pray to your Ishta Devata. Your Ishta Devata will show you the way. If repeated attempts fail, one may consider one's Ishta Devata as his Kula Devata.

If you know your Kula Deivam, make it a point to visit the temple of the Deity at least once in a year. Many people believe that sending some money is enough. An elderly person explained to me that mothers are happier when they their children than when they receive money from them. The same rule applies here. Money may help. But the longing is for proximity.

Continuing to do this will also help keep a tradition alive for future generations. The deeper the root, the stronger the tree.

Here we must remember one thing. There is only one God. The ways to attain him are varied. We must follow the path trodden by our ancestors. Then our journey will be faster and easier. Therein lies the secret of success.

Why are we asked to remember our Abhivadana mantram? It declares our identity and helps us remember our Gurus and ancestry.

Om Ganapataye Namah
Sree Gurubhyo Namah
Om Angala Parameswaryai Namah.
Om Thandavaraya Swamine Namah.
Om Sree Jagadambikayai Namah.

With namaskaram and best wishes.

Sarma Trikkur

dear sir,
even if you know your kula deivam . people do fail to practisec it now which will result no one will be knowing his kuladeivam
Our kuladeuivam is is said to be Kali. According to our family practise once when village festival takes place , even being a Brahmin we used to sacrifice a cock before the deity.My father a Mimamsa sironmani refused to sacify a cock and hearsay is that the deity gave 7 years time and after that took away the life of my father when I was3. My mother then continued the practice of sacrifice but I revolted .and when the SPCA activity was at its maximum in 1960 0rso my mother said that she a[pproached Maha periaval and he ruled that she should continue the practiceof sacrificeof a cock once a yeartill the govwerment stops it by force. even at that time he is said to have opined that we sholuld break 7 pumpkins. we are still following the cock sacrifuice being a brahmin.
My children and brother and his children have no faith in this
As such my son used to say that the practice of Worshiping the kuladeivam was a supersttiion nd hence dont give weight to it and be a pure brahmin praying Hari or Hara

dear Shri SwaminathaSharma,
i want to ask you a question regarding kula/ishta devata worship for my own personal satisfaction. i want your advice regarding this.
since a child when i prayed i have never directed my prayers to any particular form of divinity. i just used to recite all the mantras taught by my mother and proceed to bhajans and then aarti(general aarti) and never forget to ask GOD " Hello,How are You?" (that used to be my prayer method when i was a child)
my brothers did have their chosen favourite ishta devatas but i liked all the manisfestations of Divinity and hence never made a choice.

the question in my mind when i was an adult was always :ALL FORMS ARE THE MANIFESTATION OF THE ONE AND ONLY GOD, so how can i choose only One.
therefore i direct my prayer using the word Bhagavan when i pray.
but never the less i participate in any prayers when i am invited for it.
when i pray i prefer an empty space with nothing in it and i do not pray in the prayer room but i clean it and maintain the prayer room for my husband who prays every morning.
my husband finds my way of praying a bit weird but nevertheless he respects my believes.
many people tell me i am wrong but i do not think so but i rather hear it froma learned person like you.

Kula devatha is the God/Godess worshipped by the family, by tradition. this kula devatha is the God to whom the family would do prayer before any auspicious occasion at home, like marriage, upanayanam. Kula devatha cannot be substituted by Ishta devatha as Ishta devatha can be specific to each person, even in a family. You need to necessarily search through your relatives to find the Kula devatha. Probably, some religious practices followed at home on important occasions may also provide you some clue to find the Kula Devatha

Ondre palavaanadhu;
Palavum ondragave irukkiradhu.

Pleas choose anything/anyone, but not vacuum.

பூஜியதுக்குள்ளே ஒரு ராஜ்யத்தை ஆண்டுகொண்டு
புரியாமலே இருப்பான் ஒருவன்
அவனை புரிந்து கொண்டால் அதுவே இறைவன்..

(poojiyathukkulle oru raajyathai aandukondu
Puriyaamale iruppaan oruvan

Avanai purinthukondaal athuve iraivan )

I bow to Kavinjar Knnadaasan

Greetings

From what I understand from the enquiries made, I gather the following info:
Tamil Smartha Brahmins follow the system of having a kula devatha or kula deivam. It is usually a Devi or a Sastha in most of the cases.What is the origin of this practice is not known.If you are a smartha you can visit your ancestral village and find out.
In the case of vaishnava brahmins, as they are staunch monotheists, they do not follow the kula devatha worship at all. They ofcourse retain a special attachment to the presiding deity of the Perumal temple of their native ancestral village and go to worship there on special occassions. They say their attachment to the deity is only because it is that deity which their ancestors prayed,sought solace from and above all did saranagati. I think the same logic can be extended to kula devathas of Smarthas also.

Kuladeivam

I had the opportunity to locate my family's Kuladeivam- after 7 generations gap. It also stirred a controversy among elders who still refuse to believe that they are wrong. I was guided divinely and the same happened in a span of 3 months.

It has been a lifetime's fortune and though the nomenclature of the name of the Goddess has changed and I felt I was just another tool She had used to see Her.

For people from Kizhambur, Tirunelveli district, mostly they have Sri Sadaiudaiyar/Porchadachi (RajaRajeswari) in Therku Pappankulam village as their Kuladeivam.

I am prompted to write this after some reading of this thread. This temple belongs to the ettu-pillai Kootathar and is matrilineal in nature too.

Please go through this. Divine will always prevail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back