• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

kula devatha

Status
Not open for further replies.
pranams to all
i would like to know the significance of kuladevtha.as i see most my friends and relatives many times telling that they performed poojas etc to their kula devatha i never saw in my family performing the same.even my father did not. what i want to know " is there any way to find the same " or simply worship (sincerly) any Ishta devatha
i will be greatful if somebody can advice me in this.
suri

pranams to all
i would like to know the significance of kuladevtha.as i see most my friends and relatives many times telling that they performed poojas etc to their kula devatha i never saw in my family performing the same.even my father did not. what i want to know " is there any way to find the same " or simply worship (sincerly) any Ishta devatha
suri

If you have any elderly realtions in your paternal side or if you know your native,that could give a lead.Else you can approach Acharyas who are your family gurus

Kula Deivam

Hari Om

As for as I know, in our family we haven't performed any puja's for kula deivam. My father and mother are nomore and my elder brother doesn't know about the kuladeivam. we are from the village called kilambur in tirunelveli dt. when we saw prashnam, they told that the kula devetha is amman in standing position with four hands. I would be very thankful if anyone informs me about the kuladeivam and the rituals to perform puja for the god.

Kannan Ramaiah

Hari Om

As for as I know, in our family we haven't performed any puja's for kula deivam. My father and mother are nomore and my elder brother doesn't know about the kuladeivam. we are from the village called kilambur in tirunelveli dt. when we saw prashnam, they told that the kula devetha is amman in standing position with four hands. I would be very thankful if anyone informs me about the kuladeivam and the rituals to perform puja for the god.

Kannan Ramaiah
Yes, I think I can. One should not give up regular poojas and prayers to Kuladeivam. This is more importamt before planning marriages , Upanayanam etc and such family occassions. Post marriage the couple is also taken to Kul deivam location and prayer done.

kuladevatha

pranams to all
suri
it is said every family will have a kula devatha. The existance of Kula devatha, normally, descends down thro foreparents. or during some predictions times the partculars of kula devatha is revealed. It is very much OK to pray, till then, an Ishata devatha. Things happen in life we have to remain only in awe.

You try to ascertain through your `thayathis'. Kula Deivam will be common for all the thayathis.

Good that someone is interested in knowing about Kula deivams !

I presume that It's more or else like an ellai chamy , the GOD protecting the neighbourhood of our fore fathers ! Although it has been a regular practice for people to perform pujas , abhishekhams to their kula deivam atleast once in a year ! , do our books really differentiate between kula deivam and other common deivams in temples and is their really some pitru definition associated with kula deivams , to place them a step higher than the regular deivams ? or has it just come all the way ( vazhi vanthathu !) , if someone can explain !!

Hari Om

thanks for your response. Since we are not having any touch with our thayathis if any body knows about the village and the family of Kasi Iyer in kilambur they can let me know about the kula deivam which is an amman with four hands(in standing position).

kula deivam

Namaskarams to all
Thanks for the response.The problem is none my dayathis are aware of this when i checked with them.Everyone is on the search.Can anyone help where i can see the Prasannam as told by one our friends.i will be great full .No elderly person is alive in my fathers side.
thanks
suri

Namaskarams to all
Thanks for the response.The problem is none my dayathis are aware of this when i checked with them.Everyone is on the search.Can anyone help where i can see the Prasannam as told by one our friends.i will be great full .No elderly person is alive in my fathers side.
thanks
suri

Iam also in Chennai.If you can contact me on weekends,I would be able to help you.My mobile :9884713592

Sri Swaminatha Sharma ji,

It is astonishing. What a wonderful work you are doing. Please carry on your research.

All the best

Dear Sir,
You may be able to find out as to your kula devata by showing your horoscope to
an astrologer.
Lakshminarayanan

Hello all....

You will be ashtonishing to see the secrets in Astrology to find Kula Devatha.....

The formula in using to find Kuladevatha is as below....:-

Based on the Horoscope, one has to find a Karakaamsa Lagna..... Let me tell u the secret formula so that it is easy to find out the Kula Devatha.....

1) Find the planet which has transit most degree in a particular raasi... that planet is AAthmakaaraga

2) Fine that planet positioned in Navamsa... That sign is Karagamsa....

3) That sign in Rasi chart is Kaaragamsa lagna.....

For example... out of the 9 planets, sun in Rishabam in 29 degree... then sun in navamsa will be in Kanya.... Then Kanya raasi is rasi chart is karagamsa Lagna....

Now after finding the Karagamsa Lagna (KKL)...the 12th house from Karagamsa House tells about the Kuladevatha......
1) The strongest Planet in 12th house from KKL (or)
2) If No planet in 12th house from KKL, planets aspecting 12th house becomes the Devatha
3) If no planet is aspecting the 12th house, then the 12th Lord from KKL is the Kula devatha.....

Or if u have all the 16 charts with you, then the 2nd lord of Vimsamsa lagna will be Kuladevatha..... (This is Jaimini Sootram)

Dear all... You people can check with the entire family horoscope, and you will find the same result of the planet will be same.....

Wat an astonishing science of ASTROLOGY....Try it.....

Regard to all...

Sri Swaminatha Sharma,

I am glad to know that you doing research on astrology. I have seen people trying to get `Kula Devatha' through prasnams etc but I never knew that such a method is available based on the birth chart. I always suspected prasnams since it is not at all transparent and you have to just believe the other person conducting the prasnam.

Please get your method tested with some of people already knowing their `Kula Devatha' and publish the results with the help of an approved Research Institution or University.

I always believed astrology as an `art' if not a `science'. Probably your research work can make people accept that astrology is a `science'. Probably you can include few more acceptable parameters to further enhance your research work.

All the best

Dear Sri Swaminathasharma Ji,

If the hosroscope can show you the kula deivam, can it also pim point the specific temple?

Regards,
KRS

Interesting, Shri Swaminathasharma, shall try to find my kula deivam... hopefully it matches!

KulaDeva

The objective of this query is to check if it is possible to get to know the location and the time of consecration of the kuladeivam, if done by the ancestors, through astrology or any known means. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nagarajan

Kula Deivam

At the outset, let me tell you that I not an authority on this subject. But I would like to share with you whatever little knowledge I have gained from inter-actions with our elders.

People in the traditional Hindu families have this concept of Kula Deivam. Perhaps, it is the Deity which was worshipped by our forefathers for generations. Most of us have migrated to new places and many among us have little or no knowledge of our own ancestral village. Whether we know it or not, there is no arguing the fact that our ancestors were attached to some place and worshipped some Deity with complete surrender. Any blessings received by our forefathers also must encompass seven generations.

That is to say, the effect of any action that I perform will affect the next seven generations. After that the link becomes weak. It means that if our ancestors worshipped a particular Deity with complete faith and surrender, the connection with the Deity and our ancestors will stand good for seven generations. As more and more generations continue this faithfully, a relationship similar to mother and child is created between the Deity and us. The vibrations of thought are picked up by this aspect of divinity faster than the other forms of God Almighty.

This does not diminish the significance of Ishta Devata. Ishta Devata is that aspect of God that is more attractive to you in this life. You have chosen Him as you will a friend or Teacher whereas Kula Devata is like your family. You may be a good friend, good follower, good student but what good is if you are not a good son or daughter?

My Kula Devatas are Angala Parameswari and Thandavaraya Swami. They must be worshipped like our mother and father. Blessings sought before any auspicious activity is undertaken. Lord Vighneswara, the Kula Devatas and Gurus must be propitiated always. They are the steps one must take to progress further. Without their blessings nothing is possible.

How do we find out about our Kula Deivam? The easy way is to ask around. Someone in the family must know, indeed. But the problem is that many of us have lost contact with even our own relatives. If this is the case with you, what can you do? The answer is pray to your Ishta Devata. Your Ishta Devata will show you the way. If repeated attempts fail, one may consider one's Ishta Devata as his Kula Devata.

If you know your Kula Deivam, make it a point to visit the temple of the Deity at least once in a year. Many people believe that sending some money is enough. An elderly person explained to me that mothers are happier when they their children than when they receive money from them. The same rule applies here. Money may help. But the longing is for proximity.

Continuing to do this will also help keep a tradition alive for future generations. The deeper the root, the stronger the tree.

Here we must remember one thing. There is only one God. The ways to attain him are varied. We must follow the path trodden by our ancestors. Then our journey will be faster and easier. Therein lies the secret of success.

Why are we asked to remember our Abhivadana mantram? It declares our identity and helps us remember our Gurus and ancestry.

Om Ganapataye Namah
Sree Gurubhyo Namah
Om Angala Parameswaryai Namah.
Om Thandavaraya Swamine Namah.
Om Sree Jagadambikayai Namah.

With namaskaram and best wishes.

Sarma Trikkur

I read with interest the discussion on Kuladevata/Kuladeivam.
I totally agree with Sri Saminathasarma on that the kuladevatha can be identified from horoscope.However, it needs experience and independence(rather uinfluenced observation).Sometimes when one approaches astrologer with horoscope for solutions to problems, experienced astrologer prods to see whether it is due to "Kuladevata kopam" or "Pitru kopam".
Accordingly pariharams are advised. However though it is generally easy to tell the kuladevata as to pinpointing the exact location of temple is not easy.However a person well versed with other branches of predictions like prasnam, lakshanam sakunam etc can correlate all and getting hints from the "Jataka" (- person whose horoscope is seen-) may sometimes tell about the temple also.

But sometimes business interests override genuine astrological advise.

About a couple of years back, my brother-in-law in Mumbai was advised to propitiate his kuladevata in a particular temple in Kerala. I had my own doubt, and eventhough I accompanied him on his pilgrimage to that temple, I secretly enquired if anybody from that village is doing some good work for the temple in Mumbai. I got the answer from a few such enquiries.The real fact was that, that person was entrusted with collecting funds for the renovation of the temple. But my gullible b-in-law didnot accept my version.I allowed him to have his faith.
Hence there is always two sides for anything.
Mr Suri, Don't worry about kuladeivam etc.Have full faith in the god/goddess form you love and worship.All the Best.

Kula devata

Every day when we conclude Sandhya vandanam are we not repeating

" Aakaashaat Patitam Toyam
Yatha gachati saagram
Sarva deva namaskaaram
Sri Kesavam prati gachati "

Just as water falling from sky (rains) flow (thru different regions) ,ultimately reach the sea, likewise, prostrations (prayers and propitiations) to all devas ultimately reach Sri Kesava.

Hence my request is that we need not much worry about Kuladevata etc if we do not know that.Full faith in the form of god/goddess we are familiar and regularly worship is enough.

Doubts can be gradually cleared and clarity obtained from acharyas scholars,.according to one's belief and stage of knowledge in this regard.

Namaskarams,

Regarding the Kula Deivam I would like to add the following which I had happened to come across and save it in my computer and use the same for future reference. I trust the honourable may find it useful.

" Is it our Hindu (Specially South Indian) Tradition that each family have a family deitiy called KULA DEIVAM. These Kula Deivams are considered as the ANCESTRAL God..meaning our forefathers and relatives have been worshiping that god for ages. It is the unshaken belief of most of the Hindus that these family deities take care of our family and save from all hardships and hindrances...Every family has a guardian angel called Kula Deivam (Kulam -- Lineage/Family, Deivam -- God). This in most communities tend to be different from the Hindu Gods that are generally worshiped in a common temple. A temple to a Kula deivam constructed in one's ancestral village/town, will have it as the main deity (Sanctum Sanctorum) while other Gods may also be present in the periphery. The Kula deivam can be formless as well. People who have migrated to other places still visit their ancestral village/town and pay their respects by offerings /donations /charity /breaking coconuts) and feasting (called pongal -- which is also the name of Thanksgiving festival and a dish made of rice). Since in most villages, people of the same community tend to be related, everyone will have the same Kula Daivam.People visit the temple of their Kula Deivam every year and make special pujas from their family. Mostly these Kula Deivams would be Marriamman Iyennar type, who are considered the great deities in the villages. -
-- From this what I could infer is that once our member who is not aware of his Kula Deivam may visit his native place and try to find his Kula deivam details from the people who are still living.

Warm regards,
Vaidhyanathan

Kuladeivam

Respected Swaminathasharma,

Thank you for your message. If I go by what you have said in pinpointing the location of the Kuladeivam, I should also be in a position to go to its origin, namely the time of consecration and adoption of the deity. It is this that I am more interested in. When did the Kulam adopt the deity and what were the causes for its adoption should become obvious. Is this possible? I understand that this is possible through a Devaprasnam. Perhaps you can give your suggestions.

I am venturing into all this only to get to know my roots. I am told that I belong to the Varahur (in Tanjore) belt and I am unable to trace back beyond my great grandfather, where as the located Kuladeivam is more than two centuries old, a period that is beyond my great grandfather's time.

It would indeed be interesting to check each root (especially in the Tamilnadu region), if possible this way, and see where it really originated. It may have some historical significance too.

Namaskaram

Nagarajan

pranams to all
suri

Dear Sir,
Ishta Devatha is different from Kula Devatha. Kula Devatha is one which was identified by our ancestors (several decades back the period which we could not trace). The rituals / madagapadi that was performed from generations has to be followed by us. Apart from this periodic worship can be done with our family as per our convniences. Bygones are bygones and forget the past ,atleast now from your generation start worshipping your family deity (kula devatha) alongwith your parents. You can find your family deity either from your kith and kin of your father's way. I am experiencing excellent changes in my life style (family, office, public relations etc.,) by periodically worshipping our family deity in PARTICULAR and istha devatha in GENERAL.
Also I am happy to note that you belong to VARAHUR. The same place is my native place. Se how accidently our family deity has wanted me to respond to your queries. Varahur is situated from the banks of Cauvery and is 18kms from Tanjore (Old Bus stand). There are numerous buses plying from old bus stand to Kallanai enroute Varahur. Our lord (moolavar) the great SRI VENKATARAMANASWAMY and (Utsavar) SRI LAKSHMINARAYANAR is the most powerful among all Vaishnavates. There are many to narrate among this a few is that in the whole Universe the GOKULASTAMI (URIYADI) festival is celebrated nearly 15 days grandeurly during AUGUST of every year, VAIKUNDAEKADESI is another grandeur celebrated and the list goes on... In a nutshell our Family Deity is ever protecting us....
Regards
Balasubramanian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back