• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Know more about Hinduism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sri Ranganathan !

Only in sleep, that too when there are no dreams , that is in Shushupti, one can be without desire.

In one discourse Swami Dayananda Saraswathi says one should aim for mastery over desire , as long as one control the desire and not the desire control the person he is safe. I think this is much more practical approach.

If not, everytime one entertains a desire , then he will develop a guilt-consciousness thinking that elders didn't approve desire etc.., So proper desires are good, if that too is under one's complete control then he is really the blessed one.

But I do respect your quotations from Saint Thirumular only thing is I couldn't reconcile with what is said.

vanakathudan
malgova.mango

Dear Malgovaji,
I presume we are moving parallelly.

What you say is true upto a particular level. Our Scriptures do say ' earn in
a righteous way and spend it for good purposes. Give more and more . etc'.
I do not deny this at all.

When you are entering adhyatmic life, desire must be eschewed. Please see
Brihadaranyaka upanishad, where it is said ' nishkaamo, aptakaamo, atmakaamo... '.
When you are seeking self-realization, desires come in the
way.

Perhaps you are aware of this difference.

Dear Sri Ranganathan !

I agree with you. But many of us are in the householder level , so for the benefit of beings like us. Please shed some lights on Nitya Karmas like SandhyaVandanam, which is said to play an important role in atma shuddhi. I know the mantras and how to do are in the net, but legends about Sandhyavandanam if you know any, please share with us for inspiration.

vanakathudan
malgova.mango

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Malgovaji,
Thanks. There are good books about daily karmas. What am I going
to say further on this topic ? Gayathri Mantram itself is enough to see us
through. It is given to us by our father, who is our first guru.

Dear Sri Ranganathan,

Your quote from Saint Thayumanavar, reminded me of the same thing told in another way as follows:-

A devotee did penance and Lord appeared and granted that He will rule the land surrounded by the sea. He asked Lord what about the sea?

Have you read the same Saint's Ananda Kallippu?

regards
malgova.mango

Dear Malgovaji,
Yes. I have studied Saint Thayumanavar's "Ananda Kalippu ". This is from
a அனுபூதிமான்.

Now, I will share sri Badragiriyar's also here :

ஆங்காரம் உள்ளடக்கி ஐம்புலனைச் சுட்டறுத்து
தூங்காமல் தூங்கி சுகம் பெறுவது எக்காலம்.

பற்றற்று நீரில் படர்த்தா மரை இலைபோல்
சுற்றத்தை நீக்கி மனம் தூர நிற்பது எக்காலம்.

முப்பாழும் பாழாய் முதற்பாழும் சூனியமாய்
அப்பாழும் பாழாய் அன்பு செய்வது எக்காலம்.

மனதை ஒரு வில்லாக்கி வான்பொறியை நாணாக்கி
எனதறிவை அம்பாக்கி எய்வது எக்காலம்.

And many more from this Siddhar urging all of us to proceed to the
goal of self-realization.

God is within us, but we go in circles and search for HIM all over. Look
inwards. This is what another Siddhar , Sivavaakkiar , says :

ஓடி ஓடி ஓடி ஓடி உட்கலந்த சோதியை
நாடி நாடி நாடி நாடி நாட்களும் கழிந்து போய்
வாடி வாடி வாடி வாடி மாண்டுபோன மாந்தர்கள்
கோடி கோடி கோடி கோடி எண்ணிறந்த கோடியே.

Sir, in Tamil, we have such heart-moving experiences bursting out
as Siddhars' songs. Worth reading !

Dear Sri Ranganathan!

Thanks for the quotes. How do you manage your interest in this and stock market?
No wonder they say "A Good personality is a bundle of contradictions" .

Just a casual comment.

malgova.mango

Yesterday I was talking to a retired Professor about my recent ongoing research. He is considered to be an authority in Kashmiri Saivism and Saiva Siddhanta. The talk turned to the distinction between different systems. The Professor said something which is basic to the understanding of Hinduism.

There was no hard distinction between the different systems in the old days. People borrowed ideas from different systems and incorporated them into their own system. Religion is practice and not mere theory. Such interchange of ideas between different systems of worship was very common.

Hinduism places more importance to ideas than to individuals. The western philosophies are mostly called by the name of the individual who propounded it. But in Hinduism it is not so. We talk about Advaita and Vishishtadvaita and not about Sankara or Ramanuja.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back