• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Interesting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dear friends

In Gujarat we get Diwali Holidays for 21 days and during this holidays full Gujarat go on holidays, as Gujarat is a business state, after Diwali, Business people will start their business only after getting good muhorat/time to begin their work in the new year. This is our main vacation, usually we travel around India and out side India during this time, this year we are holidaying in Bangkok, Vietnam, Khambodia, and Singapore...I will miss you all, your valuable posts and comments for sometime, wherever I get net connectivity I will try to log in and be in touch with you all. We start our journey today. all the best to you all.. Happy Diwali and Happy New Year in Advance from my end to all. Have a nice time. May God Be with you...With respects Anandi

Dear Dr. Anandhi,

Wishing you a Happy Diwali. It is thoughtful of you to have selected Southeast Asia for your Diwali Vacation. All these Countries you are about to see were once powerful Hindu Kingdoms in Swarnabhoomi. As a teacher , I am sure you will be well rewarded by this vacation.
Wishing you all the best,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

By definition galaxies are a large aggregation of stars, gas, and dust, typically containing billions of stars.
Recognition that galaxies are independent star systems outside the Milky Way came from a study of the Andromeda Galaxy (1926—29) by Edwin P. Hubble that indicated the great distances at which this and other galaxies are located. Previously, the galaxies had been classified with the luminous gas clouds, or bright nebulae, within the Milky Way.
The sun and its solar system, as well as the visible stars, are all in our galaxy, the Milky Way galaxy.
Alwan

Dear Dr. Anandhi,

Wishing you a Happy Diwali. It is thoughtful of you to have selected Southeast Asia for your Diwali Vacation. All these Countries you are about to see were once powerful Hindu Kingdoms in Swarnabhoomi. As a teacher , I am sure you will be well rewarded by this vacation.
Wishing you all the best,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Brahmanyan Sir,

Thank you so much for your nice comments Sir, we both( me and Husband) like to explore beautiful places, we like to travel and in India we drive and see places. We are in Vietnam today very beautiful place of historical importance.. Can't imagine once such a hectic war was taken place here. Bangkok was flooded but we stayed near the airport only, so we were ok and enjoyed our stay. As I am always in touch with the forum and with all of you, keep on posting few articles everyday, so,today when I got an opportunity I used it to communicate with all you here. I am happy to be in touch with you. Thank you very much Sir... With respects.. Anandi

Anandiji,
We will miss you for quite some days.My Best wishes for a Happy,successful Trip.
Alwan

Thank you so much Alwan ji... I am really blessed to get such a respectful and concerned friends like you here. I am enjoying my trip very much. we are in vietnam today. With respects.. Anandi

KNOWLEDGE IS AMUSING[1] FORTNIGHT comes from 'Fourteen Nights' (Two Weeks).

[2] POP MUSIC is 'Popular Music' shortened.

[3] MOPED is the short term for 'Motorized Pedaling'.

[4] BUS is the short term for 'Omnibus' that means everybody.

[5] DRAWING ROOM was actually a 'withdrawing room' where people withdrew after Dinner. Later the prefix 'with' was dropped..

[6] NEWS refers to information from Four directions
N, E, W, and S.

[7] AG-MARK, which some products bear, stems from 'Agricultural Marketing'.

[8] QUEUE comes from 'Queen's Quest'. Long back a long row of people as waiting to see the Queen. Someone made the comment Queen's Quest..

[9] JOURNAL is a diary that tells about 'Journey for a day' during each Day's business.

[10] TIPS come from 'To Insure Prompt Service'. In olden days to get Prompt service from servants in an inn, travelers used to drop coins in a Box on which was written 'To Insure Prompt Service'. This gave rise to the custom of Tips.

[11] JEEP is a vehicle with unique Gear system. It was invented during World War II (1939-1945). It was named 'General Purpose Vehicle (GP)'.GP was changed into JEEP later.

[12] Coca-Cola was originally green.

[13] The most common name in the world is Mohammed..

[14] The name of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with Asia, America, Australia, Europe

[15] The strongest muscle in the body is the TONGUE.

[16] TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.

[17] Women BLINK nearly twice as much as men!!

[18] You can't kill yourself by holding your breath.

[19] It is impossible to lick your elbow.

[20] Wearing HEADPHONES for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.

[21] It is physically impossible for PIGS to look up into the sky.

[22] The "sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick" is said to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.

[23] Each KING in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history.

Spades - King David
Clubs - Alexander the Great,
Hearts - Charlemagne
Diamonds - Julius Caesar.

[24] What do bullet proof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers and laser printers all have in common?

Ans. - All invented by women.

[25] A CROCODILE cannot stick its tongue out.

[26] A SNAIL can sleep for three years.

[27] All POLAR BEARS are left handed.

[28] BUTTERFLIES taste with their feet.

[29] ELEPHANTS are the only animals that can't jump.

[30] In the last 4000 years, no new ANIMALS have been domesticated.

[31] STEWARDESSES is the longest word typed with only the left hand.

[32] The human HEART creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet.

[33] RATS multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over million descendants.

[34] People say "BLESS YOU" when you sneeze because when you sneeze, your heart stops for a millisecond.

[35] If you SNEEZE too hard, you can fracture a rib. If you try to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die.

So good to bless sneezing person

Dear Dr. Anandhi,

Very interesting information in "Knowledge is amusing".
Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Best wishes,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

1) A cow produces around 200,000 glasses of milk in her lifetim

2) Cat families usually play best in even numbers. Cats and kittens should be acquire in pairs whenever possible!
3)A domestic cat can sprint at about 31 miles per hour.​

4) It has been scientifically proven that stroking a cat can lower one's blood pressure!

Last edited by a moderator:
[h=1]Itinerary: Pondicherry
[/h] A rare combination of French influence in a South Indian milieu.

Day 1: Check into Dune Eco Village & Spa (tel: 0413-265 5751) a sprawling spa resort on the beach with cottages which have names like Bangle House and Doll House, as well as an animal enclosure and an organic farm. Spend the day here and try a session of Watsu, a water shiatsu treatment done in a pool, meant to ease aches and pains. In the evening head to the secluded beach to watch the sunset, and relax with just surf and sand for company.

auroville_090517.jpg

Day 2: Wake up in time for a spectacular sunrise on the beach. Take in French architecture, Pondy history and culture with a walk through the French quarter. You can also head to the Government Museum at Rue Romain Rolland, near Bharathi Park which houses an exquisite collection of Pallava bronzes, sculptures from Chola and Vijayanagar temples, terracotta figurines, French period furniture, paintings, pre-historic artefacts and other knick-knacks.

Have lunch at Carte Blanche (tel: 234 3067), at Hotel De L'Orient, with French decor and Creole cuisine. After an afternoon siesta visit Aurobindo Ashram on Rue de la Marine. Wander around the serene premises amidst flowers, burning incense sticks and muted chants. The shops at the Ashram stock dresses, pottery and lovely handmade paper. Head back the hotel for dinner.

Day 3: For a change of scene, take an early morning walk in the Botanical Gardens near the New Bus Stand, which is nearly 200 years old and has over 1,500 species from all over the world. In addition, there's a musical fountain, an aquarium, a toy train and a rock garden. Have breakfast at Cafe Rendezvous (tel: 233 9132) which offers 30 different kinds of omelettes. After this make your way to the beautiful Plage Paradiso beach via Chunnambar Backwater. You can easily spend the day here and try your hand at a few water and beach sports. In the evening have a sundowner and dinner at Risque on Goubert Avenue (tel: 222 7750).

Day 4: After an early breakfast, head south of town to Arikamedu, a unique historical site, believed to be an ancient Roman trading centre. Visit the ruins of a seminary and residence built here for Jesuit missionaries in the 18th century. All that remains are eerie walls, which make for an interesting walking experience. These walls have mixed bricks. After lunch at Au Feu Du Bois, only serving wood-fired pizzas, take a river cruise up to Veerampattinam beach and while away time till the evening. End the day with a meal combining French and Spanish cuisines at Le Club.

Day 5: Pack in some eclectic activities. Spend the morning learning how handmade paper is produced at the Sri Aurobindo Paper factory. The factory store has an amazing range of paper and stationery. After lunch, head to Auroville for a taste of cheese at the La Ferme cheesery and watch how different varieties are produced. Dine at the quaint Satsanga (tel: 222 5867) which serves French and Italian cuisines before heading home.

My must do: Kalki Koechlin

Must shop: The Sunday Market is a great place to pick up some casuals. I manage to get good bargains here because, I think people are charmed by my Tamil.

Must eat: For South Indian food I usually go to Surguru on Vallabhbhai Patel Road. I can't get enough of the Masala Ghee Roast Dosa that they make.

Must see: The Repos Beach is something I never fail to visit.

Comedian George Carlin famously spoke about the “seven words you can never say on television,” but the following seven seemingly innocuous words/phrases might be even worse. To say them is almost like dousing your goals, hopes and dreams with sulfuric acid.

Creating a better life is hard work! It takes little effort to maintain the status quo, but if you have a dream of making more money, getting a promotion, starting a business, becoming healthier, or improving your relationships, you’re going to need as much support as you can get. Strike these seven deadly words/phrases from you lexicon today:

1. When. This is a filthy word when it comes to improving your life. It sounds like this . . . “When I lose 10 pounds I’ll start dating again. When I’m a little older I’ll go for that promotion. When I complete my degree I’ll start that side-business.” Most of the time, our “whens” just don’t happen, or if they do, they take so long that we’ve forgotten what it was we wanted in the first place. “When” is rarely necessary, but just to be sure, ask yourself this: “Would it be illegal, unethical or immoral to start now?” If the answer is no, don’t wait for when.

2. Someday. There’s nothing wrong with having a “someday” list of things you want to do and places you want to go, but when you find that your “today” list is empty, you’d best start moving some of your future goals into the present. Someday is such a deceptive word. It makes you feel good by proclaiming you’ll someday achieve something, but months, years, and even decades can pass and you may find that your someday is still a long way away.

3. Willpower. According to behavior change expert Dr. BJ Fogg of the Stanford Persuasive Technology Lab, “Imagine willpower doesn’t exist. That’s step number one to a better future.” The problem with willpower is that most people either think they have it or they don’t. They’ll say, “Well, of course I ordered the double-fudge sundae. What did you expect from someone who doesn’t have any willpower?” Your genes determine the color of your eyes, NOT whether you order dessert.

4. Want/Wish/Hope. Don’t be a wimp! Stop wanting, wishing, and hoping to do something or for something to happen. If you want more control over your fate, you must take more responsibility for your actions and their outcomes. Don’t sit around expecting change to arrive in your mailbox. It takes a decision and it takes action, not wishful thinking.

5. Not good enough. How can a phrase with “good” in it be so bad? These three simple words will keep you from hitting the publish button, making that important phone call, or trying out for the audition. The solution? Flip it around. Instead of “This isn’t good enough…”, change it to “It’s not perfect but it’s good enough.” Don’t wait for everything to be perfect. Just put it out there and see what happens. For more insight into this, listen to my interview on RicherLife.com with Peter Sims as we discuss his book, Little Bets: How Breakthrough Ideas Emerge From Small Discoveries.

6. I don’t have the time. The same guy who doesn’t have time to go to the gym with you after work will miraculously be able to free up an entire evening if you present him with free Lakers basketball tickets. It may feel like you don’t have time, but with some focus and pruning of non-essential commitments (e.g., TV), you can free up 20 minutes to two hours every night to work on those actions that will help you create a better life.

7. It’s not the right time. If not now, when? No, really: If you are waiting for the stars to align, it’s not going to happen. Instead of waiting for the right time, shift your thinking and look for the least worst time to get started.

Think back to an achievement or goal you’ve accomplished. It took vision, dedication, and perseverance. Not excuses. Stop castrating your future with these seven deadly words/phrases and start working toward a richer life.

Last edited:
I know everyone knows why we visit temples, happy to share this which was forwarded by a friend.. :)

Happy Deepavali to all of you. Please visit temples,get the blessings of the lord and for people who say to you why should I visit temple-please pass on this article

download

[h=2] [/h] [h=2]WHY VISIT TEMPLES?[/h] [h=2]There are thousands of temples all over India in different size, shape and locations but not all of them are considered to be built the Vedic way. Generally, a temple should be located at a place where earth's magnetic wave path passes through densely. It can be in the outskirts of a town/village or city, or in middle of the dwelling place, or on a hilltop. [/h] The essence of visiting a temple is discussed here.
Now, these temples are located strategically at a place where the positive energy is abundantly available from the magnetic and electric wave distributions of north/south pole thrust . The main idol is placed in the core center of the temple, known as "Garbhagriha" or Moolasthanam . In fact, the temple structure is built after the idol has been placed. This Moolasthanam is where earth’s magnetic waves are found to be maximum . We know that there are some copper plates, inscribed with Vedic scripts, buried beneath the Main Idol . What are they really? No, they are not God’s / priests’ flash cards when they forget the shlokas . The copper plate absorbs earth’s magnetic waves and radiates it to the surroundings . Thus a person regularly visiting a temple and walking clockwise around the Main Idol receives the beamed magnetic waves and his body absorbs it . This is a very slow process and a regular visit will let him absorb more of this positive energy . Scientifically, it is the positive energy that we all require to have a healthy life .
Further, the Sanctum is closed on three sides . This increases the effect of all energies . The lamp that is lit radiates heat energy and also provides light inside the sanctum to the priests or poojaris performing the pooja . The ringing of the bells and the chanting of prayers takes a worshipper into trance, thus not letting his mind waver . When done in groups, this helps people forget personal problems for a while and relieve their stress . The fragrance from the flowers, the burning of camphor give out the chemical energy further aiding in a different good aura . The effect of all these energies is supplemented by the positive energy from the idol, the copper plates and utensils in the Moolasthanam / Garbagraham .
Theertham, the “holy” water used during the pooja to wash the idol is not plain water cleaning the dust off an idol . It is a concoction of Cardamom, Karpura (Benzoin), zaffron / saffron, Tulsi (Holy Basil), Clove, etc . . . Washing the idol is to charge the water with the magnetic radiations thus increasing its medicinal values . Three spoons of this holy water is distributed to devotees. Again, this water is mainly a source of magneto-therapy . Besides, the clove essence protects one from tooth decay, the saffron & Tulsi leafs protects one from common cold and cough, cardamom and Pachha Karpuram (benzoin), act as mouth fresheners . It is proved that Theertham is a very good blood purifier, as it is highly energized . Hence it is given as prasadam to the devotees. This way, one can claim to remain healthy by regularly visiting the Temples . This is why our elders used to suggest us to offer prayers at the temple so that you will be cured of many ailments . They were not always superstitious . Yes, in a few cases they did go overboard when due to ignorance they hoped many serious diseases could be cured at temples by deities. When people go to a temple for the Deepaaraadhana, and when the doors open up, the positive energy gushes out onto the persons who are there. The water that is sprinkled onto the assemblages passes on the energy to all . This also explains why men are not allowed to wear shirts at a few temples and women are requested to wear more ornaments during temple visits . It is through these jewels (metal) that positive energy is absorbed by the women . Also, it is a practice to leave newly purchased jewels at an idol’s feet and then wear them with the idol’s blessings. This act is now justified after reading this article.
This act of “seeking divine blessings” before using any new article, like books or pens or automobiles may have stemmed from this through mere observation.

Energy lost in a day’s work is regained through a temple visit and one is refreshed slightly . The positive energy that is spread out in the entire temple and especially around where the main idol is placed, are simply absorbed by one's body and mind . Did you know, every Vaishnava(Vishnu devotees), “must” visit a Vishnu temple twice every day in their location .
Our practices are NOT some hard and fast rules framed by 1 man and his followers or God’s words in somebody’s dreams . All the rituals, all the practices are, in reality, well researched, studied and scientifically backed thesis which form the ways of nature to lead a good healthy life . The scientific and research part of the practices are well camouflaged as “elder’s instructions” or “granny’s teaching’s” which should be obeyed as a mark of respect so as to once again, avoid stress to the mediocre brains .

madam.

Very interesting piece on temples. The construction of the temple itself
is similar to our sarira , like removing the sheaths and entering inside
the sanctum santorum. I read a long report on Chidambaram temple
like 72000 golden nuts on the roof, the prakaras like panch kosas etc.

[h=1]Facts about Earth Microwave Radiation October 14, 2011 | In: Space Facts
[/h]
earth.jpg

All warm objects, including Earth itself, emit microwaves. These microwaves are the similar to waves used by microwave ovens to heat foods, and by satellite dishes to communicate with Earth-orbiting satellites.
When an object glows, it emits radiation, that is, electromagnetic waves like light waves. Most of those waves are concentrated around one region of the spectrum. Measuring that region gives the object’s temperature. For example, a red-hot piece of iron radiates most of its energy in the red region of the visible spectrum of light. But it also “glows” at the longer wavelengths of infrared, and at the even longer wavelengths of microwaves.
When the Earth is heated by the Sun, it too “glows,” mostly with infrared light, but also at microwave wavelengths. Special satellites can detect these microwave signals.
Different kinds of surface materials (rocks, ice, water) absorb sunlight differently and radiate at different wavelengths. Scientists use the information to better understand how Earth operates.

Facts about Earth Microwave Radiation October 14, 2011 | In: Space Facts

earth.jpg

All warm objects, including Earth itself, emit microwaves. These microwaves are the similar to waves used by microwave ovens to heat foods, and by satellite dishes to communicate with Earth-orbiting satellites.
When an object glows, it emits radiation, that is, electromagnetic waves like light waves. Most of those waves are concentrated around one region of the spectrum. Measuring that region gives the object’s temperature. For example, a red-hot piece of iron radiates most of its energy in the red region of the visible spectrum of light. But it also “glows” at the longer wavelengths of infrared, and at the even longer wavelengths of microwaves.
When the Earth is heated by the Sun, it too “glows,” mostly with infrared light, but also at microwave wavelengths. Special satellites can detect these microwave signals.
Different kinds of surface materials (rocks, ice, water) absorb sunlight differently and radiate at different wavelengths. Scientists use the information to better understand how Earth operates.

Thank you for your message. It is a good piece of information. I too have read that
Scientists use this type of material to collate information for their studies in various angles in their mission projects. You may be aware that India has been launching different types
of Satellites through indigenised/joint venture missiles to carry out various studies to generate data for the technological improvements.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur Chennai

Some Health Problems You Can Fix YourselfYou can fix a flat, a martini and a roaring fire in no time. But do you know what to do when you get a burn? Ice? Aloe? Butter? That’s exactly the kind of at-a-loss-ness doctors are seeing more of these days. “I have young patients who are completely stumped on health basics,” says Michael Roizen, M.D., chief wellness officer of the Cleveland Clinic, chairman of the Cleveland Clinic’s Wellness Institute and coauthor (with Mehmet Oz, M.D.) of the best-selling You books. Sound familiar? Then you need the advice here. Here are six times a woman doesn’t need a doctor to feel better—and six times she does.

Health Problem You Can Fix: an Average Cut

You don’t need a lot of fancy first aid stuff for anything that’s less than about a quarter inch deep and not a gusher, says Marie Savard, M.D., women’s health expert and author of How to Save Your Own Life. First, apply pressure until the bleeding stops, then rinse the cut with plain warm water to flush it out. (Soap can irritate, but if the wound is really dirty, it’s OK to use a gentle antibacterial soap.) Dab dry, and cover the cut with a Band-Aid. That’s it. “I hate antibiotic ointments like Neosporin,” says Dr. Savard. “They may actually delay healing.” Still not sure? “Don’t put anything on a cut that you wouldn’t put in your eye,” Dr. Roizen says. Uncover the wound after 24 to 48 hours, says Dr. Savard. “The more air it gets, the faster it will heal.” All this said, any cut (or very shallow puncture) that isn’t truly on the mend after a week warrants attention from a pro.

1)Thomas Edison was deaf, but it was not all because of his condition at birth. It is true that he was born partially deaf, but he actually became totally deaf when he was conducting an experiment on the back of a train caboose which caused the train’s conductor to become very upset. The conductor then “boxed” Edison’s ears, meaning that he hit both of Edison’s ears at the same time. This blow caused him to become totally deaf for the rest of his life.

2)Samuel Morse, the inventor of the morse code, was a painter as well. One of his portraits is of the first governor of Arkansas and hangs in the governor’s mansion of that state.

3)The word ‘condom’ comes from Dr. Charles Condom (1630 - 1685)

Attitude is everything! ....AMAZING

Your attitude towards life defines not only who you are, but the quality of life you have.

What is that you CAN'T do ?????

download

download

download

download

Have you ever seen more beautiful smiles than these?

Anything bugging you today ?

I am sure, as normal human beings, we all have nagging problems personal or professional or otherwise. But, life also teaches certain lessons through people like these that give us the strength to keep us going.

1)Ancient Egyptians used to play a game like bowling. They used large stones as pins and the smaller ones as ball.

2)Golf was first played by ancient Romans who used bent wooden sticks and leather ball stuffed with feathers for this purpose.

3)Did you know that you can play the first four turns in a game of chess in 318,979,564,000 ways?

The five interlocking rings of the Olympic flag symbolize the five continents of the world (Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, and
the Americas) "linked together in friendship." Olympics founder Pierre de Coubertin claimed that at least one of the rings' colors
(blue, yellow, black, green, and red, along with the white background) was present in each country's national flag.

1)The 1967 Russian movie War and Peace had 120,000 extras. The South Korean movie Monster Wang-magwi from the same year featured 157,000 extras. The 1945 German movie Kolberg had 187,000 and the movie with the most extras, the 1982 British movie Gandhi, featured 300,000 extras.

2)On average, a movie makes about 5 times more from its video sales than ticket takings.

3)About one quarter of movie videos sold are animations.

4)In the 1926 film version of Don Juan actor Lionel Barrymore set the record for the most kisses ever in a single film. Barrymore embraced Mary Astor and Estelle Taylor 127 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back