• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Ideas . . . Ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
what an interesting thread.

re pressure cooker handles - this time a few months back, afer our prestige had died, due to handle burnout, we bought a stainless steel chinese made.

the handles are riveted and there is a metal plate protecting the handle to the vessel, so that there is no direct exposure to the fire.

so far so good. all tight and fit.

re puri press.

does it really work. i have been wanting to buy one, but mrs K has overruled me. she is of opinion that this is useless. and like all south indians i know, our chapathi making process is elaborate and time consuming. unlike the punjabis i have seen, who can take a ball of maavu, and make dainty circular rotis, thin and even, just by patting it in their hands :)

Kunjuppu,

We have used the tortilla hand press but the chapathis will not puff up. Only after our north indian dil came we came to know the trade secret of making thin, puffed and tasty chapathis. The brand of wheat flour also affects. But we now prefer the hand made chapathis to the pressed ones. As for Puris, making them by the stone & roller method is not very difficult, even for myself.

Recently my grey matter was put to task when the plastic tip fixed to the grinder stones of the table top grinder broke! The

replacement will not be available for this, I knew. I wanted something strong and flexible to replace the tip. An aluminium

shirt hanger came in handy. A small portion was cut and made like the handle of a tiffin carrier. Small cuttings in the plastic

portion were made with the tip of a hot knife, heated on the gas stove - this was tedious because the plastic was really strong.

These were made to hold the metal clip in place. Then the metal clip was attached on the top using 'araldite' paste and left to

dry overnight. One white plastic ring was cut from the lid of 'L G perungAyam' powder bottle! To keep the metal clip from

sliding, the ring was fixed around it with 'm-seal' packing. The gap in the aluminium tip was also filled with m-seal.

WOW! My grinder is working fine! :thumb:

M-seal, araldite etc., may be harmful/poisonous if they slowly find their way through food, into our bodies. Hope you have checked on this point.

P J Sir,

Have you not
seen
milk cookers with whistle? They are manufactured to allow us to go out of the kitchen, because when the

milk starts boiling, the whistle will blow! We have to simmer the stove and when the whistle blows for the second time, put off

the stove. Since my maid broke the whistle, I did not get the w
arning! That is why I wrote:

Milk cookers are not proof against TB infection and many other kinds of germs, we were told. Though most packet milks are pasteurized, it seems boiling routinely in milk cookers and then using the milk from fridge etc., causes TB germs to infect the milk particularly in India. We had one of our relatives, young woman who got TB infection twice and it was then that the treating doctor told them (her) to discard the milk cooker. She did so and did not get a third time relapse.

thanks murthy and sangom.

let me appeal to the good nature of mrs K again :)

Lest my post was misunderstood, let me clarify that even my DIL who lives in London, does not have a chapathi/poori press. But she makes both very fast with the stone/ vegetable cutting plate and hand roller only.

Dear Kunjuppu Sir,

The press is very useful and time saving while making puris. We have to press the dough ball, after touching it in oil.

Since dry flour is not touched, the oil kept for frying is clean till we make the last puri! I have been using this press

(in photo), since 1976. The inner sides of the press were fixed with white decolum sheets but they cracked after a few

years. I removed the decolum pieces and cleaned the surfaces
with a sand paper to make them smooth. BUT I NEVER

used it for making chapathis. May be chapathis made using this press will drive away unwanted guests!! ;)

M-seal, araldite etc., may be harmful/poisonous if they slowly find their way through food, into our bodies. Hope you have checked on this point.
Thank you sir for the caution. The repaired portion will NOT touch the dough because dough will not raise to that level.

I checked the repaired portion while grinding and it is not shaky. :)

Dear Sangom Sir,

If the milk cooker is kept in simmer fire when the first whistle is heard and left on the stove till the second whistle is heard after a few

minutes, I think the boiling should be enough. But I have seen some ladies who put off the stove as soon as the first whistle is heard!

Once when this torch was charged for more than five hours, some liquid from inside started leaking. Two out of the four bulbs

became dull and dim. I left it to dry up for a week in a warn place near a window. Then it started working as good as a new one!

torch.JPG

Bananas become dark in color when stored in the fridge.

If they are rolled in a cloth and stored in the fridge, they stay fresh.

IMG_4046.JPG

thanks for the input folks.

today we saw in an (indian) grocery shop - an electric chappathi press.

you plug it in,and in a few minutes the press plates are warm (red light turns green). you put the dough ball, press it to get the chappaththi, and open up the press, so that the bottom gets cooked; you turn over, and get the top cooked too. at this point you can press the chappaththi to get the top and bottom heated up again.

Branded Electric Roti Maker + Atta Maker + Free Hotpot Price - Buy Branded Electric Roti Maker + Atta Maker + Free Hotpot Price in India, Best Prices n Review

this site has an indian one..which has the same principle

mrs K wanted to read some reviews before she would purchase it :)

......... today we saw in an (indian) grocery shop - an electric chappathi press......
Dear Kunjuppu Sir,

I am reminded of this joke! One of the hi-tech 'KinkarAs' of Lord YamA was showing the scenes in Narakam in his Laptop (!)

to an info. tech official. The officer exclaimed 'Life seems to be cool here!! I wonder why guys are afraid of Narakam? !' Then

replied the KinkarA 'Remember dear! This is a demo. clipping!'

Now, re. the chapAthi press. The trick lies in making the dough! Five of my cousins bought this chapAthi maker with a vow to eat

only two chapAthis for dinner! Only ONE of them is able to eat chapAthis every evening and others are using it as an ordinary

'puri press' to make perfect circles!! So please request Mrs. K to learn the trick of making perfect dough before purchasing one

chapAthi maker.

P.S: The ordinary puri press costs in hundreds whereas the chapAthi maker costs in thousands!! :)

Last edited:

I forgot to add one point in the previous post! One of my cousins uses the chapAthi press to make dosAs!

It became 'electric dosA maker'!! :cool:

I should admit that those guys who demonstrate the chapAthi maker are all 'killAdis'!! :thumb:

Google search gave this result too! Make life EEEZZZZY!! :couch2:

242-ps_zimplistic_-_20090515-1_efjTW_1822.jpg

Ever wished to get rid of the cumbersome and time consuming chapati-making task? Here’s your wish come true! The Rotimatic by Pranoti

Nagarkar Israni is an automatic roti maker that does the mixing, making and baking all on its own. Just the flick of the button and the chapati

is ready. What you gotta do is add water and flour to the machine and leave this innovative roti maker to do its job. Compact, elegant and user-

friendly, the roti maker sits on your kitchen top and prepares chapati for your family in just a flash of a second. The smart ingenious attributes of

this cute little buddy won it the top position in the Singapore 2009 Business Plan Competition.

I like my chapati to be thin as paper (gujarati style, not punjabi type), the roti maker rati is not my type. Raji ji is absolutely right, the art is in the making of the dough.

This contraption may have won prize, but the roti looks like pancake, taste may make the difference.

At times we need tiny carry bags just enough to carry biscuits / fruits.

Cutting at the top as shown in the photo, will give a tiny carry bag!

IMG_4042.JPG

During mango season, we get hundreds of mangoes from our mango tree at the back yard.

The tiny carry bags are very useful to distribute in half dozens, to our large friends and relatives circle! :thumb:

This idea is for those who live in India and buy milk sachets. When a slit is made at the tip of the sachet, milk is likely to overflow

while transferring into a vessel. If the slit is made about half an inch down from the top edge, the tiny piece could be lifted easily.

The sachet has to be supported at the bottom too. While transferring, milk will not overflow! One of my aunts gave me this idea. :)

IMG_4043.JPG

Raji Madam

Any shop doing in Photo Frame, or Glass/Mirror wear selling shop can do this, they have the required tools for cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back