• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Ideas . . . Ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am pretty sure this raven is pretty!

raven-info0.gif

Raji Madam

Probably you did not understand what i wished you to write.
Most US cities do not have Frozen banana Leaves, so i had already given my Daughter (in UK) as well as my Daughter in law in US, plastic type Banana leaves which i got it from Broadway, Thambu Chetty Street,
Crows are seldom found either in UK or US and even if they are , they do not eat our stuff; that too KANU PIDI made up of two days old cooked items!!!
We have a cat here in UK, it does not like any of our stuff, only it takes items bought from TESCO shop.

Probably there wont be any sugar cane bits also.

Write a different Poem for those who are in US as they will not be singing : kaka pidi vaichen.. etc"

Dear P J Sir,
I knew that you wanted me to mention about the fake banana leaves sold here!! That is why I did not write it! :peace:

Without any crows where is the point in keeping 'kaNu pidi'? You can make variety rice, do the neivEdhyam and eat!! :hungry:

Or replace 'kAkkai' with 'poonai'! :D

Dear Prof M S K Sir,
If the 'kaNu pidi' is kept on money plant leaves, may be you become richer!! :popcorn:

We usually take gingelly oil to temples and need a small leak proof bottle to take it. Almost all the houses in Sing. Chennai use

mosquitto repellents and that bottle will be the perfect one. Just remove the inner plastic cap along with the small rod fixed to it.

Beautiful, leak proof bottle with a nice cap is
ready to use! :cool:

IMG_3988.JPG

Dear P J Sir,
I knew that you wanted me to mention about the fake banana leaves sold here!! That is why I did not write it!

Without any crows where is the point in keeping 'kaNu pidi'? You can make variety rice, do the neivEdhyam and eat!! :hungry:

Or replace 'kAkkai' with 'poonai'! :D

:peace:

Raji Madam

AyyOOOOO

:frusty:

I did not want you to write about fake banana leaf etc, why do you imagine so many things from my post?

Kanu Pidi should not be eaten by any animal and normally only INGI Leaves are used to place Kanu Pidi
Since it is not available in US/UK, they are using plastic banana leaves.
Since there is no Crow found in US/UK
, and even if they are there, they wont eat our stuff.

As you are a gifted poem writer , a Changed Poem for KANU PIDI for foreign Brahmins who wish to keep this Tradition:
Still if you can not understand i can only Pray

Please for a change , give direct answer..without imagining many things.

Manda Valikarathu...

I have heard different versions of 'kaNu pidi' verses!!

I don't know which version to follow. And also ..... no poems here in 'ideas' thread! :nono:

P.S: Those who have 'Gemini' as zodiac sign have fertile imagination! P.J sir has missed a few posts! :)

அதிகாலையில் எழுந்து, பெண்கள் மூத்த பெண்களிடம் மஞ்சள் கிழங்கைத் தந்து, அதனால் நெற்றியில் தீற்றச் சொல்வர்.

பின்னர் சர்க்கரைப்பொங்கல், வெண்பொங்கல், எலுமிச்சை சாதம், தயிர்சாதம் உள்ளிட்ட ஐந்து அல்லது ஏழுவகை சாதங்களை

சிறு சிறு உருண்டைகளாக மஞ்சள் இலை, தாமரை இலையில் வைக்கின்றனர். அப்போது, 'காக்கா பிடி வைச்சேன். குருவிப்பிடி

வைச்சேன். காக்கைக்கும் குருவிக்கும் கல்யாணம் கல்யாணம்! காக்கை கூட்டம் பிரிந்தாலும் எங்க கூட்டம் பிரியக்கூடாது;

குருவிக்கூட்டம் பிரிந்தாலும் கூடப்பிறந்தவர்கள் பிரியக்கூடாது' என்ற வாசகத்தை மந்திரம்போல் சொல்வர். கனுப்பிடி

வைத்த பின்னரே நீராடுவர். இப்படிக் கனு வைப்பதால், குடும்ப ஒற்றுமை சிறக்கும்; சகோதரர்களின் ஆயுளும் ஆரோக்கியமும்

நீடிக்கும் என்பது ஐதிகம்.

பொங்கல் கொண்டாடும் கோயில்கள்!

The Veenas need a lot of space, if kept on the floor horizontally. I got this idea from

my Guru, who stored his Veenas in a stand similar to this in the photo. At first, I had

only three Veenas and one tiny thampurA (the black one). Hence designed this stand,

to accommodate them and our carpenter made it.

IMG_4011.JPG

Later on, I bought one smaller Veena and so it occupies the place of the thampurA,

shifting it to the floor! That is why that Veena is tied with a tape.

IMG_3990.JPG

My mom has trained all her children not to waste anything! I try to utilize the good parts from broken articles.
Once, a brand new umbrella - press button model - burst while opening it! :boom:

All the springs were shattered - nobody knows how! - but the cloth was in tact.

I removed it carefully. Now, it is used as a cover to the table top grinder. :cool:

IMG_3993.JPG

Women folk may need rest after the busy preparations for the Pongal festival. So, an idea to make lump-free 'uppumA'!

When water boils for making 'uppumA', add just two table spoons of 'ravai' and let it boil for half a minute. Then add the rest

of the 'ravai', of course mixing the water while pouring. Close the vessel and simmer the stove for two to three minutes.

Add a dash of ghee after finishing. Yummy 'uppmA' will be ready!

P.S: Proportion of ravai : water = 1 : 2 and 1/4 :)

hi RR madam,
i saw an ad in my computer recently...........like this..........கட்டாமலே வெச்சுக்கலாம்....then it says....EMI கட்டாமலே

VEEDU வெச்சுக்கலாம்....IDHU EPPADI IRUKKU?

Last edited:
Greetings.

Lightly fry the Raava ( coarse samolina) before starting uppuma preparation. If ravai is wet ( even small amount of moisture), it would go in lumps in uppuma. For the same reason it is essential to fry samolina before making sojji or jreera or rava kesari.

Cheers!

......... Lightly fry the Raava ( coarse samolina) before starting uppuma preparation.....
Dear Raghy Sir,

Frying ravai is mandatory! Even after the basic preparation, the uppumA tends to get lumps because now a days ravai is made very

very fine. Similarly, while making 'kuzhukkattai mAvu', if we add a table spoon of rice flour mixed with water to the boiling water and

let it boil for half a minute before pouring the entire mAvu, lumps will not appear!

This is and idea given by Ram's eldest sister - which I follow! :)

........ i saw an ad in my computer recently...........like this..........கட்டாமலே வெச்சுக்கலாம்....then it says....EMI கட்டாமலே

VEEDU வெச்சுக்கலாம்....IDHU EPPADI IRUKKU?
அடக் கடவுளே! இப்படியெல்லாம் ஐடியாவா? :dizzy:

ThAmboolam is given in nice bags in Sing. Chennai weddings but the couple's names are printed on them.

We can use the bags to carry the items for 'archanai' to the temple after erasing the names. A coin is very

strong with blunt edge and it is the best eraser!!

IMG_3969.JPG

i hang these outside on the gate to collect milk packets always

Sunkan ,same pinch.:high5: then change them periodically when required .I feel happy to have almighty picture in entrance that too early in morning.but I hang it only at nights .(My younger,naughty one does it & feel she had done a big work /help:rolleyes: )

Sunkan ,same pinch.:high5: then change them periodically when required .I feel happy to have almighty picture in entrance that too early in morning.........
Dear Dr. Narayani,

Somehow I do not like to exhibit the couples names! The idea is given to erase the names from these kind of bags.
I use a bag knit with nylon thread to collect milk because it is easy to machine wash it periodically! :washing:

Recently my grey matter was put to task when the plastic tip fixed to the grinder stones of the table top grinder broke! The

replacement will not be available for this, I knew. I wanted something strong and flexible to replace the tip. An aluminium

shirt hanger came in handy. A small portion was cut and made like the handle of a tiffin carrier. Small cuttings in the plastic

portion were made with the tip of a hot knife, heated on the gas stove - this was tedious because the plastic was really strong.

These were made to hold the metal clip in place. Then the metal clip was attached on the top using 'araldite' paste and left to

dry overnight. One white plastic ring was cut from the lid of 'L G perungAyam' powder bottle! To keep the metal clip from

sliding, the ring was fixed around it with 'm-seal' packing. The gap in the aluminium tip was also filled with m-seal.

WOW! My grinder is working fine! :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back