• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How can we encourage our kids to go to temple more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very close minded Amateur!

Bye!

Open minded doesnt mean that we can get away with what ever we say and expect everyone to agree.

I remember that when I first joined as an intern in a hospital in Msia I was shocked at the rudeness of senior doctors to junior interns and once these same juniors become seniors the whole cycle repeats.
People feel that to put a point across we need to almost insulting at times.

I also remember once I had a proposal from a doctor who was a Oncologist and he was going on talking how intelligent and successful he was and how dumb junior doctors were these days.
I told him that you cant compare your knowledge now with a junior cos you obviously know more.
You have to compare your knowledge when you were a junior too and I told my dad to reject the proposal cos I didnt want a person who has pride of learning cos thats the worst pride to have.

I came to the conclusion then and there itself that Education doesnt always confer wisdom.

I see the same pattern here in Forum sometimes.

Last edited:
One can cry "open forum", "open mind" till cow comes home, but the reality is that none of the new members (who joined in the last six months - I did not have the patience to look still further back) have indicated any preference for knowing atheism or any of its variants, in lieu of hinduism, Some have indicated that they would like to "know more about hinduism" but it would be a stretch of imagination to think that "more" would mean "radical ideas" like how meaningless the vedas or puraNas are, how stupid the earlier aacharyas, how they were frogs in the well etc.

May be for every "venkrish" who indicate why they are logging off, there may be five others who silently retrace their steps and go away never to return.

This Forum is meant for ALL free thinkers and people with open minds.

You did not know this basic fact!

Yams, do you mean this forum is already hijacked and excluded close-minded ones/orthodox/people with blind beliefs?

have a ear to me please.

aren't you confusing open-mindedness with being credulous? what i find here with a group is, you all share your beliefs/ideology and if not contested, self conclude your argument as valid, and with that start accuse others of being 'closed-minded'.

being open-minded about something is a willingness to consider that it 'may' be true. but you should not forget, that it also means considering the possibility that you may be willing and open minded to consider 'a false' as a true.

being open-mindedness is an appeal to drop one's rational integrity. if there is no credible evidence to support it, or even that it is demonstrably false; it should simply be accepted with an 'open-mind'.

for eg, tomorrow, if the child says, that he has not stolen the pen in school, where as the teacher blames with proof, the supposedly free thinker, with go by the testimony of the teacher and evidence, rather than relying on the integrity of one's own child. you can extend this analogy to 'god concept also'.

with this , i hope your key pad may hence forth refrains from accusing others of 'closed minds' :) .

May be for every "venkrish" who indicate why they are logging off, there may be five others who silently retrace their steps and go away never to return.

The problem for some folks here seems to be that they are psychologically unable to put up with opinions contrary to what they hold as sacrosanct, especially in matters of religion. This is evident from the comment "I find it a sin to be hearing and in the company of such discussions." (here)

I have reasons to doubt that for such people their faith in god, religion, scriptures, etc., are still in a very nebulous stage and even a slight exposure to heretic views, according to their lights, makes them jittery. (In the case of infants, there is a similar stage which our old women describe as தலை நிக்காத்த ப்ராயம், the head has to be very carefully supported lest there is some fatal mistake!). In the same way such folks, especially their religious brain, have to be very carefully handled but, alas, they are fully grown adults, or even grandfathers, and on that mere physical aging they opt to join forums to find what they think will be completely acceptable to them!

I have been a run-of-the-mill tabra for more than 60 years when I got interested (more than in the past) in knowing more about hindu religion and what exactly it says. I started reading and as my reading progressed and my inquisitiveness continued, I became an agnostic. I do believe in a super-power above Man and everything else in this world, or even universe perhaps, but I am of the considered view that none of the religions is any reliable guide to that Super Power, call it by any name. Nara and Yamaka are atheists here, Kunjuppu is a believer but differs from my views on many points (for example, he believes in lighting the kuthuvilakku everyday, praying to Hanuman, etc.). I have difficulty in being a full atheist but I know that both Nara and Yamaka have a great lot to contribute and enrich our views and broaden our knowledge. So, I have rarely found it difficult to read their posts and keep silent when I may have a different pov. That is because my religious stance is a result of long introspection and my own, adult, conscious decision, and not simply confined to what my parents and/or elders, all of them confirmed theistic, ritualistic tabras, had followed and told me all along.

I therefore feel that our "touch-me-not" (mimosa pudica) friends should perhaps come back after a period of strong introspection and irrevocable confirmation of their devout attitude so that they don't anymore feel scandalized to read some non-conformist views.

I would also endorse the view "Education doesnt always confer wisdom"; we ought to have the broadness of vision to allow different, or even contrary viewpoints to exist in this world and we should not try to "shape the world" according to our specifications; for the theists it may look as if they are implementing God's plans but what is conveniently forgotten is that the same Power has given rise to all the varities of opinions and view points.

Lastly, I have not found, at least in this forum during the last nearly two years, the non-conformists bad-mouthing or berating the theists, but only criticising religion and its various aspects/facets; the devout theistic members, (some of them even commence their "avataara" in such fashion) on the contrary meet their opponents with strident comments on the non-believers, not their belief of non-belief, i.e., atheism. To an uninitiated mind like mine, it therefore, looks as though the atheists have religion to criticize but for the devout believers they have no valid ammunition against atheism per se but only the atheists to be hated, criticised, berated, and then to quit the forum in disgust, as a show of extreme hatred. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Thats why these days I adopted this stand in Forum:

For every word I say,
U are not going to believe me,
Cant I choose to remain silent?
Keeping my thoughts just within

Only God knows the evidence we seek,
For no man really knows what we truly need,
For now I choose to say I am ignorant,
Life is coded yet we prefer not too see.

Last edited:
Thats why these days I adopted this stand in Forum:

For every word I say,
U are not going to believe me,
Cant I choose to remain silent?
Keeping my thoughts just within

Only God knows the evidence we seek,
For no man really knows what we truly need,
For now I choose to say I am ignorant,
Life is coded yet we prefer not too see.

Unfortunately for some of the prolific posters in this site they are the "gods" and they because of their higher intellect have decided to teach the ignorant.

When the noise becomes too much and you see people leaving the neighborhood, and the noisemaker welcomes the departure of the people, there has to be some consideration given by the authority. If not, and the rest of the people feel helpless they too will leave. It is like being in NW Pakistan for a moderate Hindu.

Last edited:
The problem for some folks here seems to be that they are psychologically unable to put up with opinions contrary to what they hold as sacrosanct, especially in matters of religion. This is evident from the comment "I find it a sin to be hearing and in the company of such discussions." (here)
Dear Sangom sir, this is what their religious leaders teach. Swami Sri Desikan, the preeminent Acharya for Vadakalais after Ramanuja classify people into three categories and prescribe the kind of treatment to be afforded to each. The first is Vaishnavas, they must be treated with utmost respect and kindness. The second is nAstikas, they must be treated as snake and avoided. The third are the ones who are not nAstikas, but neither are they Vaishnavas, they must be treated with total indifference, like specks. The essence of this teaching is to surround oneself with people who will reinforce one's own convictions and judiciously avoid any contrary opinion, in other words firmly place one's head in the sand and never pull it out.

.... it therefore, looks as though the atheists have religion to criticize but for the devout believers they have no valid ammunition against atheism per se but only the atheists to be hated, criticised, berated, and then to quit the forum in disgust, as a show of extreme hatred. Is this correct?
As if to answer your question and confirm your thoughts, here is a response that takes a wild swipe at prolific posters.

Unfortunately for some of the prolific posters in this site they are the "gods" and they because of their higher intellect have decided to teach the ignorant.

When the noise becomes too much and you see people leaving the neighborhood, and the noisemaker welcomes the departure of the people, there has to be some consideration given by the authority. If not, and the rest of the people feel helpless they too will leave. It is like being in NW Pakistan for a moderate Hindu.

<edited to prevent a war of words :)>

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Mr. Shiv Kc & Mr Sangom, Both of you have taken efforts & explained the aim of this Forum , so that the members who criticize may like to view things & topics of this Forum Objectively & contribute material for the Subject matter, & resist from straying from the Topic. Please , all members start writing about the ways & means , as to how, our Children could be made to visit temples , if not at least inculcate in their daily routine , simple prayers , . Only the parents can ensure. According to my experience, it could be feasible, say up to 10 or 12 years of age. After that, it will be herculian task?
A.Srinivasdan ( Rishikesan)

According to my experience, it could be feasible, say up to 10 or 12 years of age. After that, it will be herculian task?
A.Srinivasdan ( Rishikesan)
I agree sir. I too find that upto ~ 11 or 12 years parents can guide children. After that they develop a mind of their own. Kids start maturing very fast once they are around puberty i feel. They do not accept anything we tell them just like that. They discuss with their peers, friends, and develop their own views. Since i do not agree with my parents on many issues i do not expect my children to agree with my views either.

One can cry "open forum", "open mind" till cow comes home, but the reality is that none of the new members (who joined in the last six months - I did not have the patience to look still further back) have indicated any preference for knowing atheism or any of its variants, in lieu of hinduism,.....
Narayan, what do you suggest? Do you think any opinion opposed to "Hinduism" must be banned because in the last 6 months, or may be more, none of the new members expressed an interest for it? Or probably you want those of us who express opinions that are not agreeable to you and those who share your views to self-censure. Or perhaps you want us to simply agree with the views expressed by the theists just because they think their view is correct simply because they know it to be so?

The reality is, as Shri Sangom observes, the non-believers only criticize ideas and opinions, but the devout theistic members come back with only ad hominems. They even simple make things up like KB says that Atheists call the theists, "fools, cheats, immoral etc!", indirectly. This is just impossible to bear, you guys take it upon yourself to tell us what we meant, so very convenient :)!

Whether cows come home or not, Praveen has come home and has affirmed this is an open forum where all are welcome and all views are permitted. So, my humble request is, please get used to it.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
... I became an agnostic. I do believe in a super-power above Man and everything else in this world, or even universe perhaps, but I am of the considered view that none of the religions is any reliable guide to that Super Power, call it by any name. Nara and Yamaka are atheists here,..
Dear Shri Sangom sir, this is off topic, but I would like a little clarity in the terminologies you have used to describe our views.

Please correct me if I have misunderstood -- I think agnostic and atheist are answers to two different questions. The former is an answer to the question do you believe there is god, and the only logical answer to that is "I don't know". That would place me also with you, as an agnostic. The later is an answer to the question do you believe in a personal god who listens to and answers prayers. For this question I think your answer is no, which would make you an atheist just as much as Y and I are.

In other words, one may be agnostic (I don't know whether there is god or not) and choose to be theistic -- i.e. taking the Pascal's wager. Similarly, one can be agnostic and be an atheist, which is what I would call myself, and from what you state you are also one, no?

Where we differ probably is, you believe there is (must be?) a super-power beyond Man, which would make you a deist, and I believe it is very unlikely there is a super-power with intentionality, which would make me simply a non-believer.

Would you agree with this?

Cheers!

A open society does not accept bullying either. If a person has declared they are anti-brahmin, anti-Hindu, anti-God, anti-india why do I need to take their view as the only correct view. One can have a view different than my view like Mr.Sangom or Mr.Kunjuppu. I can accept that and present my counter view. But I do accept the view that one's birth should not be questioned, Or blame the world's problem on one class of people because of their birth. No two Brahmins are alike, so blaming the entire Brahmin clan is wrong. The original poster had clearly wanted some ideas from Temple goers for the children's sake. If you are against Temple probably you should take a hint and not post.

Last edited:
Sri Nara,

Narayan, what do you suggest?

If you ask me a question, let me have an opportunity to reply.

Do you think any opinion opposed to "Hinduism" must be banned because in the last 6 months, or may be more, none of the new members expressed an interest for it?

Did I ask you to second guess what my opinion or thoughts are? Or are you the all-knowing Brhman who knows my thoughts better than myself? Please remember your own posting in some other thread (I can track it down if needed) when you advised a poster not to speculate what your thoughts are and go by the posting alone.

Or probably you want those of us who express opinions that are not agreeable to you and those who share your views to self-censure. Or perhaps you want us to simply agree with the views expressed by the theists just because they think their view is correct simply because they know it to be so?

Why are you so obsessively personal here? Look at the usage of "you" pronoun. Yet you complain that I am intolerant.

This is just an impossible to bear, you guys take it upon yourself to tell us what we meant, so very convenient :)!

Who all are you lumping me here together with? If I am personally at fault, I am prepared to render unconditional apologies, if you show the post. If you cannot, withdraw the statement. I am responsible for my statements but not for statements of others with whom your perceptions club me up.

Regards

....Why are you so obsessively personal here? Look at the usage of "you" pronoun. Yet you complain that I am intolerant.
Asking questions is "obsessively personal" for you!!! As usual you have avoided giving an answer, par for the course.

Who all are you lumping me here together with?
Please take a look at the tone of your post, that is what prompted me to lump you with the rest who cannot tell one logical fallacy apart from another. Anyway, if you think I was wrong to lump you with those other theists, then I offer my apology.

How about some direct answer to the questions I have raised, please!!!

Cheers!

Dear Shri Sangom sir, this is off topic, but I would like a little clarity in the terminologies you have used to describe our views.

Please correct me if I have misunderstood -- I think agnostic and atheist are answers to two different questions. The former is an answer to the question do you believe there is god, and the only logical answer to that is "I don't know". That would place me also with you, as an agnostic. The later is an answer to the question do you believe in a personal god who listens to and answers prayers. For this question I think your answer is no, which would make you an atheist just as much as Y and I are.

In other words, one may be agnostic (I don't know whether there is god or not) and choose to be theistic -- i.e. taking the Pascal's wager. Similarly, one can be agnostic and be an atheist, which is what I would call myself, and from what you state you are also one, no?

Where we differ probably is, you believe there is (must be?) a super-power beyond Man, which would make you a deist, and I believe it is very unlikely there is a super-power with intentionality, which would make me simply a non-believer.

Would you agree with this?

Cheers!

Well, Nara, I stand corrected. I was rather careless and used "agnostic" where I should better have used "agnostic theist" or, as you say, "deist". I will be more careful in future.

Well, Nara, I stand corrected. I was rather careless and used "agnostic" where I should better have used "agnostic theist" or, as you say, "deist". I will be more careful in future.

For newcomers in this Thread, I am a self-proclaimed Atheist for the past 40 years (all of my adult life after age about 20). I have not prayed any God for anything in my life all these years.

Here is my simple stand:

1. Is there a Super-Natural Agent in the name of Ishwara, Allah, Jesus or the like in this Universe controlling ALL activities of ALL humans and inanimate objects?

My answer is Absolutely NOT.

My wife says "I don't know".

2. Is there what's called Janma Poorva Karma dictated and governed by the Super-Natural Agent?

My answer is Absolutely NOT.

My wife says "I don't know".

3. Is there any use or utility to all the prayers, poojas and bhajans in praise of the Super-Natural Agent?

My answer is Absolutely NOT. There's no one to listen to the poojas, prayers and bhajans.. People do it just to satisfy their own mental well being, if any.

My wife says, "I don't know".

Therefore, I am an Atheist. My wife goes to Temples and prays occasionally. She is an Agno-Theist.

Cheers.

ps. If our youngsters visit Temples, Mosques and Churches for the sake of Culture - to participate in the art, architecture, music, dance and other such activities, I will definitely encourage them.. for, religion and god is just a Cultural Link to the Distant Past of History to recall of how we progressed thru ages!

:)

Last edited:
No, no sir, I am not correcting you, far be it from me to do that, it is just a point of clarification, that is all. From what I have observed, IMO, your views can be understood as gnostic-atheist - aka a deist, i.e. one who is certain there is a higher power, but a power that cannot care about individual human existence. A short term for this, I believe, is deist, not agnostic-theist.

Now, coming back to the topic of this thread, I still believe before attempting the "how" question, one has to answer the "why" question. If the intent is to encourage devotion to Hindu gods, then the answer to the "how" must be designed accordingly. On the other hand, if the "why" is simply to inculcate Hindu culture, then the answers to the "how" will have to be suitably different.

So, I feel the young parents must examine very carefully why they should want their kids to visit temples on a regular basis. The answer they come up with for this question will surely guide them in finding the answer to the "how" question.

Whatever may be the answer to the "why" question, finding answers to the "how" question is an uphill task. Several have already commented on this difficulty. IMHO, the best approach is to not force anything on the youngsters, and respect their views and ensure they understand that you respect their views. This must be done before the kids reach teenage years. Any trust one must earn must be earned before the teen years, it is too late after that. Once they reach the teenage years, one has to patiently wait until they grow out of it, which may be 5 or 10 or more years. This is why the preteen years are so important.

I only have the deepest sympathy for the young parents out there, the teenage years are the most challenging ones. Teenage years is the most difficult time kids pass through, plagued by lack of self-esteem, peer pressure, and a whole host of hormonally induced problems. All I can say to the young parents is, be gentle, show unconditional love, and say so to them as well at every opportunity. Even if the kids act nonchalant, they like to hear it, say to them as often as you can that you love them no matter what, and you will thank your favorite god you did, in latter years.

Cheers!

No, no sir, I am not correcting you, far be it from me to do that, it is just a point of clarification, that is all. From what I have observed, IMO, your views can be understood as gnostic-atheist - aka a deist, i.e. one who is certain there is a higher power, but a power that cannot care about individual human existence. A short term for this, I believe, is deist, not agnostic-theist.

Dear Nara,

Gnostic, gnosticism etc., have certain accepted meanings I feel. Kindly see Gnosticism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I therefore feel agno-theist or agnostic theist may better describe my beliefs more aptly. Kindly google for agnostic theist.

Now, coming back to the topic of this thread, I still believe before attempting the "how" question, one has to answer the "why" question. If the intent is to encourage devotion to Hindu gods, then the answer to the "how" must be designed accordingly. On the other hand, if the "why" is simply to inculcate Hindu culture, then the answers to the "how" will have to be suitably different.

So, I feel the young parents must examine very carefully why they should want their kids to visit temples on a regular basis. The answer they come up with for this question will surely guide them in finding the answer to the "how" question.

Whatever may be the answer to the "why" question, finding answers to the "how" question is an uphill task. Several have already commented on this difficulty. IMHO, the best approach is to not force anything on the youngsters, and respect their views and ensure they understand that you respect their views. This must be done before the kids reach teenage years. Any trust one must earn must be earned before the teen years, it is too late after that. Once they reach the teenage years, one has to patiently wait until they grow out of it, which may be 5 or 10 or more years. This is why the preteen years are so important.

I only have the deepest sympathy for the young parents out there, the teenage years are the most challenging ones. Teenage years is the most difficult time kids pass through, plagued by lack of self-esteem, peer pressure, and a whole host of hormonally induced problems. All I can say to the young parents is, be gentle, show unconditional love, and say so to them as well at every opportunity. Even if the kids act nonchalant, they like to hear it, say to them as often as you can that you love them no matter what, and you will thank your favorite god you did, in latter years.

Cheers!

The OP was from US, I think, and his problem was that his kids were not as much interested in visiting the (Hindu) temples of US as he was during his comparable age, back home in Thanjavur where his mother and gf used to perform violin "kutcheris" in temples and the OP used to playfully while away his time in the company of an old and frail NB servant of his house.

If one thinks seriously about it, such temple-experiences as above, by themselves may not mold a person into a disciplined adult. I wrote as much but the OP did not accept it. He is confirmed in his belief that he is what he is today, because of the discipline and good qualities acquired from his temple association. So, the only point that remains is not the why, but the how of it.

I can only suggest the carrot & stick policy. Regarding carrot, I have already made a reference - promise to the kids rewards which they will like. Regarding stick, I think it is impractical today and the parent may land in jail especially in the US. But the more important question is "does temple-visits inculcate discipline in a child?"

Inculcating discipline is pretty much interwined with the practices of hinduism. When you perform poojas and prayers your mind contemplates on the divine or the sublime. Now there is an important aspect to it. The contemplation should be sincere. If so it has a salutary effect on the mind. So are the vratas which can discipline you well. Going to temples has the same above effects.Now if you want to be successful in anything your attempts should be sincere. Similarly if you want the above acts to produce good effects you need to be sincere in implementing them. For example not seriously believing in the beneficial effects of going to temple and letting your mind wandering there is of no use. It is a good setting and it is up to you to make the best use of it.

My Original message: One can cry "open forum", "open mind" till cow comes home, but the reality is that none of the new members (who joined in the last six months - I did not have the patience to look still further back) have indicated any preference for knowing atheism or any of its variants, in lieu of hinduism,

Supplement: This is a factual position which is easily verifiable. It is a statement of fact. Notwithstanding repeated slogan shouting of “open forum”, “open mind” etc. which we use in forum posts which give scope for discussing all things, including atheism, the feature which attracted the members to this forum is “hinduism”.

Original message: Some have indicated that they would like to "know more about hinduism"

Supplement: This is also a factual position which can be easily verified.

Original message: but it would be a stretch of imagination to think that "more" would mean "radical ideas"

Supplement: This is my inference, but I am willing to be corrected if someone shows me how I am wrong

Original message: like how meaningless the vedas or puraNas are, how stupid the earlier aacharyas, how they were frogs in the well etc.

Supplement: These were the actual words/word meanings used by some posters

Original message: May be for every "venkrish" who indicate why they are logging off, there may be five others who silently retrace their steps and go away never to return.

Supplement: A possibility I envisaged. One may agree or disagree.

Now to Sri Nara’s questions:

Do you think any opinion opposed to "Hinduism" must be banned because in the last 6 months, or may be more, none of the new members expressed an interest for it?

Ans: No – I do not believe in muzzling anyone’s voice

Or probably you want those of us who express opinions that are not agreeable to you and those who share your views to self-censure.

Question is the same as the previous. The previous act was involuntary, the present one is voluntary. So answer is same as above.

Or perhaps you want us to simply agree with the views expressed by the theists just because they think their view is correct simply because they know it to be so?

Ans: You are letting your imagination run riot.

My original post simply meant that there is considerable headwind, hence turbulence is to be expected but that does not excuse use of inappropriate language or use of taunt by either side.

Narayan, First, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

.....Ans: You are letting your imagination run riot.

No, just look at what you said originally.

but it would be a stretch of imagination to think that "more" would mean "radical ideas" like how meaningless the vedas or puraNas are, how stupid the earlier aacharyas, how they were frogs in the well etc.
Narayan, I have highlighted a portion of what you said originally that is not factual. If I am mistaken, please provide a reference to the post wherein such a comment was made.

The "frogs in the well" comment was made by Shri Sangom sir. He gave his reasons, one may agree or disagree, but any challenge to that statement, and what you call "radical" ideas must be presented in real time. You mentioning these here is the reason why I think you wanted to muzzle ideas that you consider radical.

In the context of the constant din of wild accusations, when you come in with the declaration like "cows come home" and more "radical ideas" are not what people want, why must that not be taken as an attempt to muzzle? Why is that not a taunt you are referring to here.

Further, as Shri Sangom has observed, there is no equivalency between the "either" side you are referring to, one side presents arguments about certain ideas, and the other side presents ad hominem attacks.

My original post simply meant that there is considerable headwind, hence turbulence is to be expected but that does not excuse use of inappropriate language or use of taunt by either side.
What constitutes a taunt may differ from person to person. To me a taunt is constant berating of individual member, examples of which can be found every day from the usual suspects.

What would you consider a taunt?

Narayan, I think all of us must welcome vigorous debate and eschew name-calling, gratuitous put-down and the like. Telling us that our "radical ideas" are not what people want is a tautology that can only be taken as an attempt to muzzle .

Cheers!

Dear Mr Nara, The last Para of your writing at # 167 says it all. In reality, that is what one should attempt all the time, whether you are in India or in the U.S. You will experience the result of your efforts after years, when your child grows older. Then You can thank God for having Blessed You & your Kid. Effort is ours & decision is His ?
A.Srinivasan ( Rishikesan )

Inculcating discipline is pretty much interwined with the practices of hinduism. When you perform poojas and prayers your mind contemplates on the divine or the sublime. Now there is an important aspect to it. The contemplation should be sincere. If so it has a salutary effect on the mind. So are the vratas which can discipline you well. Going to temples has the same above effects.Now if you want to be successful in anything your attempts should be sincere. Similarly if you want the above acts to produce good effects you need to be sincere in implementing them. For example not seriously believing in the beneficial effects of going to temple and letting your mind wandering there is of no use. It is a good setting and it is up to you to make the best use of it.

Dear Sravana:

I differ fundamentally on this -

Yes, good discipline and hard work are the staples for a successful life.

For this you don't need a Belief in any God or Religion.

All human beings love justice, rule of law, peace and happiness whether or not one believes in God and Religion.

Crime & punishment is more per million people in the Theist world than the Atheist/Non-Worshiping world, believe me.

Take the lives of about 2.5 billion peoples in the world who don't do any prayers, poojas and bhajans (all the Atheists, Agnostics and those live in Communist China and former Soviet Union): most of them live happily with a good behavior, vision, discipline and hard work...

Where's the need for Gods and Religions, prayers & poojas if you have good behavior, vision, discipline and hard work?

Think of it...

Cheers.

Last edited:

Dear Sri.Sravana sir, Greetings.

It is not ethically correct to put the onus on the 'devotee's' sincerity. If a pooja/prayer is conducted while seeking some goal or benefit, the benefit should be fulfilled; It is lame to blame the devotee if the benefit is not attained. One can't say visting temples, conducting poojas would always bring benefit. For example, if I conduct a pooja anticipating certain favourable out come, I have the right to blame the pooja if I did not achieve such favourable outcomes. I don't have accept any comment about any lack of sincerity from my part. (For example, if I conduct a pooja seeking a pass in my exam, I should pass; I don't have to accept any comment about my sincerity in conducting the pooja or any comment about my lack of preparation for the exam. If I preapared well for the exam, why should I conduct a pooja?; if I am going to conduct a pooja, sincerely, why should I preapare for the exam? One may say, the pooja would remove any obstruction from attending the exam, but still I have to study for the exam; but, in some countries, the students get an opportunity to defer the exam in the event of unforseen difficulties).

I would think about the visit to a temple as a physical exercise. Bigger the temple, it is better the exercise. One may walk a decent 30 to 45 minutesin total during the trip to the river; followed by breathing exercise; walk to the local temple; walk around the temple on the outer 'praharam'; walk back to home. I was told one should adopt a quick pace doing all these things. This kind of exercise performed at least once a day would reduce DVT risk; stroke risk; improve venous return; improve blood circulation; improve tone of the muscle. In my opinion, this exercise possibility is the 'Why' for the temple visitations.

Cheers!

A open society does not accept bullying either. If a person has declared they are anti-brahmin, anti-Hindu, anti-God, anti-india why do I need to take their view as the only correct view. One can have a view different than my view like Mr.Sangom or Mr.Kunjuppu. I can accept that and present my counter view. But I do accept the view that one's birth should not be questioned, Or blame the world's problem on one class of people because of their birth. No two Brahmins are alike, so blaming the entire Brahmin clan is wrong. The original poster had clearly wanted some ideas from Temple goers for the children's sake. If you are against Temple probably you should take a hint and not post.

Dear Sri.Prasad, Greetings.

With due respect to your opinion, I don't think it is democratic to shut out a portion of the members from participation. The author of the opening post did not consider the 'why' question with respect to temple visitations. It is always satisfying to do anything if we know why we are doing it.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back