• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How can we encourage our kids to go to temple more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reference Yamaka's post #85

When I go to Trivandrum I speak Malayalam and when I go to Bombay I speak Marathi because I want to be understood clearly. When I speak to Atheists(not serveall) I quote Russel from his "Why I am not a Christian" and R.Linton from his "The study of Man" with the hope that they would have read these already and would have lapped up the handed down wisdom already. Lol.

I was under the impression that our (Indian) Ultra-nationalists would not have read European / Western literature because they believe it's all "manipulated" against India, Indian History and Culture!

Clearly, I am an Athiest, not believing in the FATALISM of the Religions and the Superstition of the Janma Poorva Karma, AND also I am a globalist not entertaining the narrow views of Nationalism.

I am curiously watching and waiting the behaviors of Theists who happily consume the fruits of Science Engineering & Technology and at the same time they have the audacity to bad mouth about it...

Indeed the world is very interesting.

:)

The problem is the going to temple has become a mechanical process and only has rituals and worship.

No one understands why they are doing what they are doing, they don't understand the purpose behind the worship and rituals.

They don't understand the meaning of the slokas that are being said.

They know nothing about the philosophy that is present in hinduism.

Just teach them all of this and that should be enough to get them going on their own. I have seen this work. so I am speaking from experience.

Hinduism existed without temples for a pretty long time, till about the 8th. century A.D. Hence, it will not be correct to say that temple-going is an indispensable part of hinduism. Again, the more a person sincerely understands more about hinduism, its philosophy, etc., they will be better-induced to go to temples regularly, is a very wrong thinking. I know some old orthodox tabras, better learned about the religion, who did not go to temple at all.

Temple-going is a later addition to hinduism when the bhakti cult became very popular; it was designed to bring people to one place and to keep them mesmerized by different strategies, hooked on to one deity or another. Ancient Siva temples sung by the saivaite saints were mostly simple mud-walled and thatched structures, it is reported by scholars.

I was under the impression that our (Indian) Ultra-nationalists would not have read European / Western literature because they believe it's all "manipulated" against India, Indian History and Culture!

Clearly, I am an Athiest, not believing in the FATALISM of the Religions and the Superstition of the Janma Poorva Karma, AND also I am a globalist not entertaining the narrow views of Nationalism.

I am curiously watching and waiting the behaviors of Theists who happily consume the fruits of Science Engineering & Technology and at the same time they have the audacity to bad mouth about it...

Sri.Yamaka Sir, Greetings.

Personally I don't think theists are 'bad mouthing' Science, Engineering & Technology. One may think, just being an athiest may not make one excel in Science, Engineering & Technology; at the same time, a thiest may think analytically too. Sceience, Engineering & Technology are evidence based; Religious faith is belief based. We are talking about two different concepts here.

There may be a group of people not inclined to believe karma theory; there may be yet an other group of people who believe in karma theory. That should not be a problem at all. But the problem starts when when the believers of karma theory belittle persons who are unfortunate enough to have difficulties, citing their 'bad karma'; on the other hand, problem also starts when the non-believers of karma theory ridicule the persons who believe in karma theory, even if such believers restrict such beliefs only for their own personal living situations.

Cheers!

Namaste Sangomji,

"...Hinduism existed without temples for a pretty long time, till about the 8th. century A.D..."

In Mahabharatha, temple is mentioned in Rukmini kalyanam story, right?

Thanks,
Jai SiyaRaam

Sri.Sankar Sir, Greetings.

They don't understand the meaning of the slokas that are being said.

They know nothing about the philosophy that is present in hinduism.

Just teach them all of this and that should be enough to get them going on their own. I have seen this work. so I am speaking from experience.

I used to visit temples every now and again. When I came to Australia, unfortunately I noticed, the Gurukkal in the local temple lacked ethics and knowledge. After that, I could not visit that temple at all. My children strongly believe, poojas are personal affairs and should be conducted in the privacy of everyone's home along with invited dear and near.

Cheers!

Sri.Yamaka Sir, Greetings.

Personally I don't think theists are 'bad mouthing' Science, Engineering & Technology. One may think, just being an athiest may not make one excel in Science, Engineering & Technology; at the same time, a thiest may think analytically too. Sceience, Engineering & Technology are evidence based; Religious faith is belief based. We are talking about two different concepts here.

There may be a group of people not inclined to believe karma theory; there may be yet an other group of people who believe in karma theory. That should not be a problem at all. But the problem starts when when the believers of karma theory belittle persons who are unfortunate enough to have difficulties, citing their 'bad karma'; on the other hand, problem also starts when the non-believers of karma theory ridicule the persons who believe in karma theory, even if such believers restrict such beliefs only for their own personal living situations.

Cheers!

Hello Raghy:

There are a few Theists in this Forum who enjoy the fruits of SET (they are engineers/IT professionals) for their day to day living but routinely bad moth about it as a matter of philosophy or religion.

To me SET is the opposite of Religion & Spirituality. They just can't coexist in the same person as a matter of Basic Life Philosophy. Some people say it can with an element of "positive hypocrisy", which I reject.. because hypocrisy is simply hypocrisy; there can't be a positive hypocrisy or negative hypocrisy.

My wife says that Janma Poorva Karma Theory is fundamental to Hinduism. As such, if some Hindus don't believe in it means, they are running away from Hinduism.. perhaps it is very FATALISTIC and SUPERSTITIOUS to them.. In fact, I say that's the point. People are torn between the NEED for a traditional attachment to Hinduism as religion AND their desire to be RATIONALE too.

That's the crisis on the minds of many Theists here.

Cheers.

Last edited:
It is the lack of knowledge, that will make the claim that religious person can not be scientist, just as I can claim that irreligious people can not have any moral ethics.

It is the lack of understanding the nature of Hindu religionn, In Christianity the church opposed science as it runs counter to bible. In Hinduism there is no such binding. If someone thinks he/she knows the entire Hinduism, they are delusional.

Hinduism existed without temples for a pretty long time, till about the 8th. century A.D.

Oops! some mis-understanding by hear-say.

After Vasistha left, Rama took bath and meditated on Lord Narayana with undistracted mind along with his wide-eyed wife, Seetha. Taking the vessel with clarified butter on his head as per scriptures, he offered to Lord Vishnu the clarified butter, by dropping it into the blazing fire.Rama ate the remainder of clarified butter after finishing the sacrifice, which he performed for his own good, silently meditated on Lord Narayana with controlled mind and slept along with Seetha on a properly laid bed of Kusa grass in a splendid temple of Lord Vishnu.

The learned commentators point out that the deity referred to here is no other than Lord Ranganatha, who had been worshipped by a long line of rulers of Ayodhya as their chosen deity in a separate shrine built within the precincts of the royal palace. We are told at length in the Patala Khanda of Padma Purana how Rama so kindly handed over the image to Vibhishana; through whom it reached Srirangam (near Tiruchirapally) in South India

Listening to the pleasing verses of professional reciters, he worshipped the early sunrise and meditated on Gayatri* with an undistracted mind.

http://www.valmikiramayan.net/ayodhya/sarga6/ayodhya_6_prose.htm

During Kurma avataram, Brahma requested Lord Vishnu to present in His original form. That was when He says, 'I will present myself with all my glories in the idols and images, of my accord'. Those are Svayam Vaktam - eight of them like SriRangam, Saligramam, Srimushnam, Ahobilam, Naimisham, Pushkaram, Todadri. Divyam are the manisfestations for the Celestials, like Kanchi Varada (burnt face), blessed Brahma in a Yagna, Sethu Rama for Indra, Melkote for 11 Rudras, Dwaraka for Agni, Tirupati for Vayu. Saindavam, for Rishis Bhrigu/MarkandEya (Kumbakonam), Indrayumna (Thirumayyam), Maitreya(Sarayu),Vyasa(Vyasathirtam). MAnushyam , for humans , in the form of idols/image in their preferred form. Their holiness extends to a radius of 5 miles, 3 miles, 2 miles and a mile. Those who worship Saligrama, obtain wisdom, prosperity and salvation. The modern artichecture might have developed later, but the idols/shrines existed from long time.

Last edited:
How to encourage kids to go to temples more?

Perhaps its a good idea to leave it to the kids. I would keep talking to them, keep answering their questions, but let them make their own decisions.

To me, the feeling of God ofcourse is everywhere. But if i want to see a movie i wud go to the cineplex. The big screen feeling is unmatched with the DVDs at home. Similarly i wud pray at home, but for the big feeling, to rejenuvate myself once in a while i wud go to temples. Its just the feeling, the bhava. The feast for sore eyes to watch the ritual bath and alankaram. Its the sense of serenity that prevades it and the sense of veneration that comes automatically with that.

Ofcourse, i wud not expect my kids to follow in my footsteps. If they do, i wud be glad we can share the same activities to do together (pray together).

Dear Raghy,

Your post #106:

I used to visit temples every now and again. When I came to Australia, unfortunately I noticed, the Gurukkal in the local temple lacked ethics and knowledge. After that, I could not visit that temple at all. My children strongly believe, poojas are personal affairs and should be conducted in the privacy of everyone's home along with invited dear and near.

Even in India When I visit the temples in distant small villages I find the Archaka not very well informed. Even a simple Thiruppavai line like "செங்கண் திருமுகத்து செல்வத்திருமாலால் எங்கும் திருவருள் பெற்று இன்புறுவர்" is chanted with avoidable mistakes. When they offer me the garland they usually chant this and some more. I accept the garland because it is "தொடுத்த துழாய் மலர் சூடி களைந்தன" even though for many an observer it is a honor done to a rich man. If the archakar is a young man I call him separately and tell him the mistake and advise him to learn at least such simple essential things well. If he is an old man I just take it as perhaps the work of a failing memory. I do not shun temples for this reason. I have told my children (they are all grown up now) that the deities in the temple are all Avatars that have come down to shower their grace on us. My children do visit the temple quite often.

Please do not take it that I am judgmental about your views. Cheers.

Last edited:
Namaste Sangomji,

"...Hinduism existed without temples for a pretty long time, till about the 8th. century A.D..."

In Mahabharatha, temple is mentioned in Rukmini kalyanam story, right?

Thanks,
Jai SiyaRaam
Shri Jai SiyaRaam,

What I wrote was the opinion of scholars; I go by that. Mahabharata is also seen by scholars as having been revised and interpolated at least three times, from the internal evidences in the epic itself. We cannot also rule out further subsequent interpolations of a later date. So, the mention of a "temple" in the rukmini kalyanam portion does not necessarily mean that temples had become very common among hindus from ancient ages.

If the word used in Mahabharata is "mandira", (I could not check this) that word may also mean a habitation, dwelling, house, palace ; a pagoda ; an apartment ; a town ; a camp ; any abode or
dwelling.

Oops! some mis-understanding by hear-say.

After Vasistha left, Rama took bath and meditated on Lord Narayana with undistracted mind along with his wide-eyed wife, Seetha. Taking the vessel with clarified butter on his head as per scriptures, he offered to Lord Vishnu the clarified butter, by dropping it into the blazing fire.Rama ate the remainder of clarified butter after finishing the sacrifice, which he performed for his own good, silently meditated on Lord Narayana with controlled mind and slept along with Seetha on a properly laid bed of Kusa grass in a splendid temple of Lord Vishnu.

The learned commentators point out that the deity referred to here is no other than Lord Ranganatha, who had been worshipped by a long line of rulers of Ayodhya as their chosen deity in a separate shrine built within the precincts of the royal palace. We are told at length in the Patala Khanda of Padma Purana how Rama so kindly handed over the image to Vibhishana; through whom it reached Srirangam (near Tiruchirapally) in South India

Listening to the pleasing verses of professional reciters, he worshipped the early sunrise and meditated on Gayatri* with an undistracted mind.

Valmiki Ramayana - Ayodhya Kanda

During Kurma avataram, Brahma requested Lord Vishnu to present in His original form. That was when He says, 'I will present myself with all my glories in the idols and images, of my accord'. Those are Svayam Vaktam - eight of them like SriRangam, Saligramam, Srimushnam, Ahobilam, Naimisham, Pushkaram, Todadri. Divyam are the manisfestations for the Celestials, like Kanchi Varada (burnt face), blessed Brahma in a Yagna, Sethu Rama for Indra, Melkote for 11 Rudras, Dwaraka for Agni, Tirupati for Vayu. Saindavam, for Rishis Bhrigu/MarkandEya (Kumbakonam), Indrayumna (Thirumayyam), Maitreya(Sarayu),Vyasa(Vyasathirtam). MAnushyam , for humans , in the form of idols/image in their preferred form. Their holiness extends to a radius of 5 miles, 3 miles, 2 miles and a mile. Those who worship Saligrama, obtain wisdom, prosperity and salvation. The modern artichecture might have developed later, but the idols/shrines existed from long time.

Shri Govinda,

The word/s used in Valmiki ramayana are "sreematyaayatanam vishnoh". This word "aayatanam" in the vedas and other scriptures has ever so many meanings that I remember one book itself on this one word and titled "aayatanam". For example, in the mantrapushpam, it is interpreted as "source" or "origin". Of course it may not be correct to say that Rama and Sita lay down ("SishyE") in the source or origin of vishnu. The most appropriate sense will be that the two lay down in the precincts marked out in Dasaratha's palace for pooja of Vishnu. That will mean a private arrangement and not a public temple, imho.

I have difficulty in agreeing to the contents of the last para (kurmaavataaram, etc.) . Those are from either the puranas or from some SV text, you have not cited the source/s. Anyway, it is only for the unquestioning minds and I go by my more rationally enquiring mind. Kurma avatara is supposed to have taken place in Satya yuga; so by now about 43lakh earth years must have gone by. If the idols of Srirangam, Saligraamam etc., are made of igneous rocks those could very well be very old although science has not developed (I think) an exact dating technique for igneous rocks. I will therefore side with the belief that such puranic stories are mere figments of poetic imagination and do not represent facts.

At the end of the Mahabharata war, after all her 100 sons were dead and no one remained, Gandhari meets Sri Krishna and laments:
I had 100 sons while Kunti had just 5 and I had all along thought I was the luckier one. Today, I see at the end of the war all the 5 Sons of Kunti have survived, while I am left with none. Why did you do this to me?
To which Krishna replies: I personally have done nothing different to either of them. The difference is in how the mother of each of them was involved in their life. You, thinking your husband is the only supreme, chose to be blind and closed to your eyes to what your children were doing. You believed that their power and smartness were signs of their greatness and well behaved-ness. However Kunti had all her eyes on them - literally 'oil in her eyes' when it came to overseeing her children and devoted her life in upholding culture and values in her children. You gave up that responsibility, while she was devoted to it.

Happy Consumption of fruits of Science, Engineering and Technology is the exclusivity of the Atheists? And the audacity to comment about it rests solely with that class?

Interesting forum ...
The name of the forum attracted me to join in , but I get a feeling, I might have walked (or perhaps will) into a wrong one going by the posts and domineering post(er)s

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Yamaka

Dear Yamaka,

I have a poem for you..

Two Little Birds Sitting on a Tree,
One eats fruits and the Other just sees,
One knows all but the other doesn't know,
There's only One though two are in a row.

So my dear..all of us Theist or Atheist are the bird that eats fruits totally oblivious of the truth so it doesnt really matter which fruit we eat whether its even a genetically engineered fruit of SET!!!

In yesteryears our GrandMaas used to narrate stories of various types to the kids
not only from Puranaas/History but also from their abundance of knowledge. This
has helped them to learn courage, to certain a successful person besides how to
have a creative thinking. They used to always generally encourage them and
and make affirmative praise so as to motivate them. Above all, that gave them
a wide knowledge on various aspects such as practices, customs, etc in our
brahmin families.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Dear Venkrish:

Interesting forum ...
The name of the forum attracted me to join in , but I get a feeling, I might have walked (or perhaps will) into a wrong one going by the posts and domineering post(er)s

Please do not get dishheartened by some of the comments. Although some may seem hurtful to your feelings, you will see a lot of healthy debate and instances where the comments are thought provoking. We need everyone to provide input. If you think that your religion and God of your faith have provided you with qualities in your life to enrich your knowledge, morality, and made you a human being that you are proud of than not following any faith, and if you sincerely think that your children also should imbibe those values, please speak up. The whole point is, we teach young kids what is right for them based on what we have experienced, and once they are on their own, let them assess all these that we taught them, do due diligence and make up their own mind!

Speak away sir!!!

Dear Raghy,

Your post #106:

Even in India When I visit the temples in distant small villages I find the Archaka not very well informed. Even a simple Thiruppavai line like "செங்கண் திருமுகத்து செல்வத்திருமாலால் எங்கும் திருவருள் பெற்று இன்புறுவர்" is chanted with avoidable mistakes. When they offer me the garland they usually chant this and some more. I accept the garland because it is "தொடுத்த துழாய் மலர் சூடி களைந்தன" even though for many an observer it is a honor done to a rich man. If the archakar is a young man I call him separately and tell him the mistake and advise him to learn at least such simple essential things well. If he is an old man I just take it as perhaps the work of a failing memory. I do not shun temples for this reason. I have told my children (they are all grown up now) that the deities in the temple are all Avatars that have come down to shower their grace on us. My children do visit the temple quite often.

Please do not take it that I am judgmental about your views. Cheers.

Dear Sri. Raju Sir, Greetings.

If you feel like it, You are very welcome to judge my views. I have no objections. I mentioned about not only the knowledge of the Gurukkal, but also the ethics, mainly ethics. As I mentioned in the previous post, it was quite unfortunate. It takes 40 minutes to drive one way to the temple; in those days, I could conduct a prayer with Vishnu Sahasranamam with my wife joining in & Rudhram in the comfort of our own home. Our children looked forward for that. Who knows? If Our children ask me to do that in the future, I will do it. In my opinion, Bhagthi does not require one to visit temples.

Cheers!

Dear Raghy,

I mentioned about not only the knowledge of the Gurukkal, but also the ethics, mainly ethics. As I mentioned in the previous post, it was quite unfortunate. It takes 40 minutes to drive one way to the temple; in those days, I could conduct a [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]prayer[/FONT][/FONT] with Vishnu Sahasranamam with my wife joining in & Rudhram in the comfort of our own home. Our children looked forward for that. Who knows? If Our children ask me to do that in the future, I will do it. In my opinion, Bhagthi does not require one to visit temples.

It is purely your right to choose between a visit and darshan at the temple and a Vishnu Sahasranamam Chanting in the privacy of your home. But man being a social animal he has an innate urge to be in the company of people in his endeavours. That is the reason why you too go to temple at least once in a while. As for the Gurukkal's ethics, I understand what you are saying. But I look at it from a different perspective. Some time we do come across gurukkal who take the deity in the temple as just an implement to earn a living. When that is the mind-set the sincerity is the casualty. You have an indifferent Gurukkal who is more interested in knowing when you will open your purse than anything else. I understand their compelling circumstances and forgive them and move on as I have miles to go in my journey searching for the higher purpose.

Cheers.

Visit the temple for the Diety and its greatness and do not abandon it for the sake of the Kurukkal. You can say your own prayers - you have the privilege - and not depend on the Kurukkal to do them for you - they have their own compulsions and if you are willing to adjust, you can find them beneficial too.

Visit the temple for the Diety and its greatness and do not abandon it for the sake of the Kurukkal. You can say your own prayers - you have the privilege - and not depend on the Kurukkal to do them for you - they have their own compulsions and if you are willing to adjust, you can find them beneficial too.

Can the same prayers be not said in the home, where one can have all things according to one's choice? Is the Deity in the temple different from the deity at home, in the pooja?

Happy Consumption of fruits of Science, Engineering and Technology is the exclusivity of the Atheists? And the audacity to comment about it rests solely with that class?

Interesting forum ...

VenK:

Welcome to the Forum.

You and others can and will consume the fruits of SET. That's fine with me philosophically... SET is for ALL the consumers.

That's NOT the issue.

If you and others are going to "bad mouth" about SET, then I have the RIGHT to talk about them and their hypocrisy - whether it's called "positive hypocrisy or negative hypocrisy."

Let's talk.

Can the same prayers be not said in the home, where one can have all things according to one's choice? Is the Deity in the temple different from the deity at home, in the pooja?
In My Opinion, it is not about either. It is both. Prayers at home is something that should not be skipped, but done regularly. The rigidity, intensity and amount is of course the ability, choice and convenience of the do-er. It is suggested that one makes it a habit to visit a temple preferably along with their family once in a while. But, if one were to ask me, between the two what should he/she choose, I would still say choose both, but if they persist, I would say - Say your prayers at home regularly.
Prayers at home are largely for the well being and welfare of the family. Prayers at the temple also are for the well being of the community and the locality. You get the opportunity of the grace from/of the diety that has been worshipped for long and by many. Besides, in a temple you get to grace dieties that you normally do not keep at home - such as Dakshinamurthy, Chandikeshwarar, Navagrahas etc.,
Of course, all this are applicable only if one has the urge and the belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back