• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How can we encourage our kids to go to temple more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you for your invite
If you and others are going to "bad mouth" about SET, then I have the RIGHT to talk about them and their hypocrisy - whether it's called "positive hypocrisy or negative hypocrisy."
I fail to understand the connection.
As a consumer of SET, I am entitled to talk about its benefits and pitfalls and the ramifications it has on my personal life.
However, I do not understand how this questioning has got to be linked to ones beliefs and culture. No body is a consumer of a religion or practice.

I would find it is morally inappropriate to comment about a religion or practice that I do not subscribe to, unless ofcourse its ramifications are causing large scale distress to people outside that community. Even in that case, I would stop at pointing out the consequences and not dwelve into assuming where the root cause are.
Why would I want that to be different in my case?

First Parents should set an example of visiting Temples on regular basis or at intervals. There should be no compulsion on the children to follow the regimen.

I wish to share my own experience in this regard.

Though Coimbatore was not known for Big Temples, when we were young our parents used to take us to Vinayakar Koil at Edayar Veedi, Koni Amman Temple and Iswaran Koil in the town (Coimbatore) and Perur Temple (three miles from Coimbatore) on all important festival days. My mother would prepare ourselves for the visit from the morning. Arrange to get flower garlends and other Pooja materials, like fruits, milk for abishekam etc. The elaborate preparations will make the day a memorable one. She would dress us appropriately with good clothes.

In the Temple we will spend a lot of time visiting every Sannadhi leisurely performing Abhishekam and Archanai and pradakshinam etc. In the Temple my mother used to tell interesting stories from Puranas. By the time we return home, we would have enjoyed a wonderful day. My trips to Marudamalai was always with friends on "weekend excursions".

This was how visits to temple were done fifty years ago. Compare this with today's "whisle-stop" visits to Temples.

Honestly speaking, I am not a religious person as per the normal understanding, but I love Temple visits and pilgrimages. Apart from Temples, I love visiting Churches, Mosques and Gurudwaras also.
These visits enriches our understanding of fine arts and social life.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

thank you for your invite

I fail to understand the connection.
As a consumer of SET, I am entitled to talk about its benefits and pitfalls and the ramifications it has on my personal life.
However, I do not understand how this questioning has got to be linked to ones beliefs and culture. No body is a consumer of a religion or practice.

I would find it is morally inappropriate to comment about a religion or practice that I do not subscribe to, unless ofcourse its ramifications are causing large scale distress to people outside that community. Even in that case, I would stop at pointing out the consequences and not dwelve into assuming where the root cause are.
Why would I want that to be different in my case?

Fine..

Let me clarify what I am saying:

You can consume either ALL of what SET provides you (for job/profession and million other things for a comfortable living) or some of it that makes sense to you.. you need not consume that part of SET that you believe has pitfall.

I am an Atheist for the past 40 years, although my parents and society force-fed me so much of God and Religion into my psyche from the birth.

The man-made religions and the Gods have inflicted enormous pain and sufferings in the Society in particular India. Case in point, nearly 800 million devout Hindus are trapped inside the Gates of Hell of Abject Poverty because they all belief in their Gods and spend enormous time in the form of poojas, prayers and bhajans (at the cost of not paying attention to gaining useful skills that will serve the society).

My comments will dwell more on these lines... I don't know whether you agree with me or not.

But I welcome a robust debate.

Cheers.

Messrs. Yamaka & Venkrish:

The man-made religions and the Gods have inflicted enormous pain and sufferings in the Society in particular India. Case in point, nearly 800 million devout Hindus are trapped inside the Gates of Hell of Abject [COLOR=#DA7911 !important][COLOR=#DA7911 !important]Poverty[/COLOR][/COLOR] because they all belief in their Gods and spend enormous time in the form of poojas, prayers and bhajans (at the cost of not paying attention to gaining useful skills that will serve the society).

With no disrespect intended to both of you, please pay attention to the objective of this thread. This is for believers and to discuss how we can encourage our kids to go to temples, if you believe in going. You seem to engage in conversation with respect to existence of God, can you please take this to other threads where it is more appropriate.

I appreciate your consideration.

First Parents should set an example of visiting Temples on regular basis or at intervals. There should be no compulsion on the children to follow the regimen.

I wish to share my own experience in this regard.

Though Coimbatore was not known for Big Temples, when we were young our parents used to take us to Vinayakar Koil at Edayar Veedi, Koni Amman Temple and Iswaran Koil in the town (Coimbatore) and Perur Temple (three miles from Coimbatore) on all important festival days. My mother would prepare ourselves for the visit from the morning. Arrange to get flower garlends and other Pooja materials, like fruits, milk for abishekam etc. The elaborate preparations will make the day a memorable one. She would dress us appropriately with good clothes.

In the Temple we will spend a lot of time visiting every Sannadhi leisurely performing Abhishekam and Archanai and pradakshinam etc. In the Temple my mother used to tell interesting stories from Puranas. By the time we return home, we would have enjoyed a wonderful day. My trips to Marudamalai was always with friends on "weekend excursions".

This was how visits to temple were done fifty years ago. Compare this with today's "whisle-stop" visits to Temples.

Honestly speaking, I am not a religious person as per the normal understanding, but I love Temple visits and pilgrimages. Apart from Temples, I love visiting Churches, Mosques and Gurudwaras also.
These visits enriches our understanding of fine arts and social life.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Brahmanyan Sir:

I like the last para of your post.

Temples, Churches and Mosques can be routinely visited for the fine arts, music and social life.

In fact, I want to consider Religion & God as the Cultural Link to the Distant Past of History... to tell our youngsters how we progressed thu over many millenia of ages!

Regards.

Y

namasthe Brahmanyan sir !
true whether it is temple,church or mosque the serene atmosphere will give satisfaction to the visitor whether he is believer or not.because that only velankanni /nagoor is getting lot of visitors.as you said the long and devoted time in a particular temple with meticulous planing will give a memorable thing in our life instead of visiting many temples in a single day as canvasing for a municipalelection
cheers

Dear Servall/ Prasad1/ Yamaka/ tbas & Raghy, & all, Some of you live in U.S. & others in India, perhaps. I, for one living in India & having visited U. S for 4 to 5 times in the last 12 years, would like to offer my impressions of U.S in particular & about involving children in India & U.S in particular.
All had the same set-up of life. meaning that, we lived with parents in villages, then moved to cities for higher education . ,mostly became graduates & got employed at various levels , clerical, technical, lower grades, accounting & the like , say up to late 70s. Later Engg. became an area of choice, very few Brahmins could succeed. Then girls also became graduates ,easily & the parents , from 80s, made it a point to make their daughters go for Engg. Then , because of Computer Technology & colleges flodded with all courses, besides umpteen Engg colleges, all---, I repeat all Boys / Girls of Brahmins came out as Engineers , that too on Soft- ware. Then Job opportunities came in this area & U.S became the destination . A cycle has been formed & thousands have got employment with handsome salaries, enough to save & buy houses in both U.S and in India for their parents. Money has become literally cheap in the last 8 to 10 years for the new / Rich children of ours.
You may read this fact of the life & wait for one more day my comments on the children, about interest in worship of Gods/ going to temples , both in India & in U. s.

I am in U.S as on date, with my daughter & can authentically give out my views of the situation here.

Sincerely,
A.Srinivasan ( Rishikesan ) For the Forum

This is for believers and to discuss how we can encourage our kids to go to temples, if you believe in going. You seem to engage in conversation with respect to existence of God, can you please take this to other threads where it is more appropriate.
I was under the impression that the forum itself was for believers and the discussions were pertaining to this set of people. I came in with the thought that if people had clarifications or interesting perspectives to share I could provide or gain from that sharing. I have my own beliefs and clarity around my thoughts and I have no intentions to reform any one, neither am I here to be brain washed with some ones convoluted thinking that is not inline with my beliefs and goals.
Neither do I want to defend someone's meaningless, self serving linking between an accident to a practice. Simply absurd and I find it a sin to be hearing and in the company of such discussions.
Rather than try to moderate my thoughts into compartmentalising a discussion, I would rather sign off from this thread for ever which serves no useful purpose to me.
This thread has been marked sticky (a term I dont understand yet), so it could be my mistake or ignorance that I walked in to.

Good luck to those non believers who think they are out here to give life and purpose to the believers. You may want to first try it out on the western world that has abundant supply of non believers that are starving and crying for work and food from the corporates. First think about being self reliant and not thrust yourself into some forum unrelated to your purpose.

Hindu-ism will prevail irrespective of it onslaught.

Good bye !!

Dear Sri "Yamaka" and Sri "Guruvayurappan",

Namaste.
Thanks for your rejoinder. Why should we differentiate human excellence by man made differences. All creations are from the Lord. This is what Sri Krishna says in Chapter 10 of Bhagvad Gita: (My favourite Chapter too)

yad yad vibhutimat sattvam srimad urjitam eva va
tat tad evavagaccha tvammama tejo-’msa-sambhavam
-
BG.Ch.10(41)

"Know that all opulent, beautiful and glorious creations spring from but a spark of My splendor“

Sri Madhwacharya in his commentary to this Sloka says
“In whatever forms the manifestations of majesty, greatness, beauty and power are seen, they should be known as minuscule fractions of Lord Krishna's vibhuti or divine, transcendental opulence“.

Wonderful words indeed.

The best of talent emerges when man creates some thing for one he believes to be supreme whether it is in the form of a Temple, Church, Mosque or Gurudhwara.

I have visited many great Temples in our Country just to enjoy the beauty of creation. I was stuck by the beauty and awe equally when I visited the Cathedrals in Notre dame, Paris and Köln, Germany and the Sheik Syed Grand Mosque at Abu Dhabi (during my recent visit to UAE). This urge of dedication of best creation to the creator whom some one believes still continues.

Life is very short and we should use every bit of opportunity to enjoy the
beauty of excellence endowed in us by breaking the artificial barriers.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

dear srinivasan !
like you i also frequently visiting Britain to meet my son and daughter .my son and daughter are telling stories about our festival &GODS.they are visiting murugan &perumal temple in London.my grant daughters are doing namaskarams to deity and god photos without our instruction.they could correlate incidences to our surprise and joy.even in school they explain about ramayanams &Gandhi.it gives great pleasure to listen ramayanam told by 3 1/2 yrs girl. even when attiring a name arthi they imitate the action deepa arthi of temple.butter means spontaneously telling Krishna etc.
nothing to worry. our tradition &culture will survive with slight adjustment to present day situation

pranams sir !
i like thequote
Life is very short and we should use every bit of opportunity to enjoy the
beauty of excellence endowed in us by breaking the artificial barriers.
and it will enable us to utilise the opportunity offered to us .once we miss an opportunity it may not knack at our doors again

I was under the impression that the forum itself was for believers and the discussions were pertaining to this set of people.

It is not said anywhere (as far as i can remember) that this forum is only for x and not for y. This forum is for everyone and all that it is needed is an OPEN MIND. If people are going to discuss purely based on one's background (whatever it might be) then it's their problem and not that of the forum's. The forum, time and again, has been very clear on where it stands. If one is going to participate with a preset mind frame, then forum cannot be held responsible nor accountable.

After registering, one is shown a set of rules to which they have to agree. Point number 3 in that set of rules clearly says and i quote
"Each member agrees to have an open mind with respect to the views that are shared and topics discussed. "

Point number 1 also says "This website is an open website which means anyone can register and participate. There is no discrimination based on one's religion, caste or place of residence."

FYI, the rules can be seen here
http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/misc.php?do=vsarules

then it's their problem and not that of the forum's.
Yes, and that is why I make the decision to log out.
You could still do a favour (if you care) by changing the name of the forum to what it is really upto, rather than having a name that appears deceptive.

thanks

You could still do a favour (if you care) by changing the name of the forum to what it is really upto, rather than having a name that appears deceptive.
I do not normally each and every post, but i think you should read this post
http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/feedback-suggestions/4712-req-your-feedback-thoughts.html

If you want to log out, feel free. End of the day it is your choice.

Then again, i don't see any wrong in continuing with tamilbrahmins.com and be open to all. As i said, it is all how one sees it. Open mind is all that i would say and insist.

I do not see any differentiation between a tamil brahmin or a telugu brahmin (or any other brahmin), apart from the location and some customs. What is his is also ours, albeit with a difference. anyways, i do not want this thread to get diverted. so i will end this.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the forum itself was for believers and the discussions were pertaining to this set of people. I came in with the thought that if people had clarifications or interesting perspectives to share I could provide or gain from that sharing. I have my own beliefs and clarity around my thoughts and I have no intentions to reform any one, neither am I here to be brain washed with some ones convoluted thinking that is not inline with my beliefs and goals.
Neither do I want to defend someone's meaningless, self serving linking between an accident to a practice. Simply absurd and I find it a sin to be hearing and in the company of such discussions.
Rather than try to moderate my thoughts into compartmentalising a discussion, I would rather sign off from this thread for ever which serves no useful purpose to me.
This thread has been marked sticky (a term I dont understand yet), so it could be my mistake or ignorance that I walked in to.

Good luck to those non believers who think they are out here to give life and purpose to the believers. You may want to first try it out on the western world that has abundant supply of non believers that are starving and crying for work and food from the corporates. First think about being self reliant and not thrust yourself into some forum unrelated to your purpose.

Hindu-ism will prevail irrespective of it onslaught.

Good bye !!

This Forum is meant for ALL free thinkers and people with open minds.

You did not know this basic fact!

Yes, Religions will prevail but will soon lose the Original Intent: To subjugate vast majority of the masses under a Belief of Super-Natural Agent that controls ALL activities of ALL peoples All the time.

Religions will soon be relegated as the Cultural Link to the Distant Past..the process is undergoing stealthily... the driving force is the success of Science Engineering & Technology in our daily lives.

Wait & watch.

Take care!

Last edited:

thanks

A very close minded Amateur!

Bye!

thanks

Respectable Sir, Greetings.

This forum is a platform for Tamil Brahmins to discuss their concerns, share their opinions. But, it is an open forum. One can read the posts without logging in.. one does not have to be member to read the discussions. But, only members can post an opinion. (At one time, even guest's could post).

This particular thread is not even discussing Tamil Brahmin's concerns. The topic is, 'How to encourage our children to go to temple'.. Not only brahmins, but also people from other castes too face similar situations.

One need not have any caste feeling in this thread at all.

If you wish to present debates in support of your views, you should present them. You had some conversation with one member; you didn't like that member's views.... suddenly you are asking the owner to change the name of the forum! தென்னை மரத்தில் தேள் கொட்டினால், பனை மரத்தில் நெறி கட்டினால் எப்படி?

Your views are welcome here. All the views are respected, so would be your view too. Kindly keep your views consistent; such consistent views would be well respected.

Cheers!

mr.venkish may be dis pointed for not getting what he expected(controversial) from the forum run in the name of bramins .every thing is discussed with open mind and every people are placing their view for &against the forum also not deleting/editing anybody 's article.he should have waited for some time before coming to this decision.i think the lose will be to the individual

Dear readers, In continuation to my posting at # 132, I would like to mention the position of Tamil Brahmins visiting temples in the U.S.. All of us know that there are a large number of Balaji/ Srinivasa temples in all the states of U.s along with the consorts , besides Andal/ Krishna/ Rama/ Sita & the rest to cater for the Tamil & other Indian Population. On week ends families go to temples near-by with children & offer prayers. In certain localities, closer to temple, Music/ dance/ other curricular activities take place for the school going children, specific to south/ North indian s. Those who have time & access visit on week ends , One cannot have full fledged or full time activities to teach such Course, like Indian cities & facilities. Therefore, the children here , though go to temples with parents, they prefer or natural develop affinity to other youngstere & fully converse in English ( American English ) no mother tongue, It is next to impossible for the parents ( with the exception of a fraction ) to continue any curriculam beyond a point.
Parents are not able to inculcate the religious feelings in the U.S born Children, though in their houses , there are elaborate Pooja Rooms & Keep Golus & invite known Indian families.
Occasion like Pongal/ Deepavali are done at the Temples. You know ? No Crackers?

A.Srinivasan ( Rishikesan )

Dear Shri.Srinivasan,
Presently I am staying in California(Newark) with my son.One couple Shri.Krishnan(initially from Kerala but lived in Bombay for a number of years before coming to USA)and Smt.Revathi Krishnan(from Bombay)are staying near my house.They came to USA in 1960s.They are kind enough to take me to Fremont Temple,Livermore Temple and Shirdi Sai Baba mandir every thursday.His grand children(boy aged 10 years and girl aged 6 years)get good foundation in our religion and culture through their grand parents.My next door resident is a Punjabhi who also came to USA in 1960s.When his daughter and grand daughter
(aged 27 years)came to our house recently. I came to know from them that they are frequent visitors to Gurudwara and know about Indian culture.They may visit India once in 5 years and in some cases do not visit India at all.
I understand from Shri.Krishnan that in 1960 and 1970,immigrants were moving closely with local people.When large number of Indians
started coming to USA,the mixing up with local people has reduced a lot and Indians form their own groups and interact among themselves(in my opinion this is not a good trend).But children born in USA mixes with all people.So the scenario in USA is similar to the position in India.Some families visit temples regularly and so their wards.Some others do not visit temples.The values imparted to children varies from family to family.
I am presently going through a book written by Chinmayananda(the foreward was written by him from 'Stanford' in 1975)about his lectures
on BG.In the book he recommends that the entire family can listen to the DVD(from Chinmaya mission)each day and children will be benefitted a lot.I will write about the book sometimelater.
Ps:-There are no crackers but fire works(VANA vedikkai).Thanks to Smt.Raji Ram,You can see beautiful pictures of fireworks in Boston in this forum.
Even on Deepavali day my neighbour with his children were using fireworksand requested us tokeep our vehicles inside the garage.

Last edited:
Dear Shri.Praveen,
I refer to your Posts 137 and 139.
There is nothing wrong in the name of the Forum.But the caption'Brahmin community spread over the entire Globe' below 'OM TAMIL BRAHMINS'
is misleading and gives a wrong view that this website is exclusively for Brahmins.
Since all (including from other communities and members following other faith)are allowed to join as members,in my view the caption can be omitted or modified to read'Open to ALL'

Last edited:
Mr. VenKrish,

I too got mislaid by the name of the site. I was disappointed that most of frequent posters are against Brahmins, against atheist, against Hindus, and against India.

I have accepted to put up with these and Keep the other point of view. It is unfortunate that what is important to the majority is lost in long tirade against the core principles of what the name suggests. I understand it is a business and owners of the site gets to decide the contents, so if you can accept and stay on that will be fun.

Dear readers, In continuation to my posting at # 132, I would like to mention the position of Tamil Brahmins visiting temples in the U.S.. All of us know that there are a large number of Balaji/ Srinivasa temples in all the states of U.s along with the consorts , besides Andal/ Krishna/ Rama/ Sita & the rest to cater for the Tamil & other Indian Population. On week ends families go to temples near-by with children & offer prayers. In certain localities, closer to temple, Music/ dance/ other curricular activities take place for the school going children, specific to south/ North indian s. Those who have time & access visit on week ends , One cannot have full fledged or full time activities to teach such Course, like Indian cities & facilities. Therefore, the children here , though go to temples with parents, they prefer or natural develop affinity to other youngstere & fully converse in English ( American English ) no mother tongue, It is next to impossible for the parents ( with the exception of a fraction ) to continue any curriculam beyond a point.
Parents are not able to inculcate the religious feelings in the U.S born Children, though in their houses , there are elaborate Pooja Rooms & Keep Golus & invite known Indian families.
Occasion like Pongal/ Deepavali are done at the Temples. You know ? No Crackers?

srinivasan,

in your own elaboration of temples, you have studiously avoided the mention of other hindu deities or temples barring those of vishnu.

with such intense prejudice, how would you expect the north american born child, curious, yet with a strong sense sense of fairness and equality, to completely divorce of him or herself, the bulk of the faith of the hindu pantheon, and identify him/herself with vishnu and his avatars alone. can you see the intense dichotomy of your arguements and faith?

how can you call yourself a hindu, and conveniently bypass the altars of siva or muruga and lakshmi? i see the problem starting there and is only growing from then on. the truth of the matter is, our indian prejudices and baggage have nowhere to go in the usa. parents either have to expose them to the double standards or keep quiet. it appears most keep quiet.

....But the caption'Brahmin community spread over the entire Globe' below 'OM TAMIL BRAHMINS' is misleading and gives a wrong view that this website is exclusively for Brahmins.
Since all (including from other communities and members following other faith)are allowed to join as members,in my view the caption can be omitted or modified to read'Open to ALL'
Dear BK sir, all the statement says is "Brahmin community spread across the entire globe", it does not say "Only for Brahmin community spread across the entire globe". So, IMHO, there is no misleading on the part of Praveen.

Besides, if there is any misleading suspected, it is more due to what a prospective member thinks a site called TamilBrahmins.com "should" be like, not what it can be like. Those people who find misled by the title and take objection to it are probably expecting a "Bhajan" type web site where everyone is ready and willing to cry out loud "Govinda Govinda" or "Parvathee Pataye, Hara Hara Mahadeva". If so, they also will benefit from the site's many forums tailored to cater to their needs. But, if they wish to peek into forums that allow free flowing rational discussions, the least they could do is to endure these rational thoughts without making a huge hue and cry.

Dear BK sir, I am not directing these comments at you specifically, I have found you to be quite reasonable and sporting, it is those who take on the cudgel of defense in favor of what they think in their own minds as sublime and wish to shut the mouth of anyone they disagree with.

Best regards ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Mr. Kunjuppu, please do not read between the lines & treat me as a hypocrate or Theevira Vaishnava ? I have not stopped writing the names of only Visnu type , I have said & Others . Secondly I am also aware that there are very many temples devoted to Thirupathi Lord, may be the Maximum, besides Lord Ganesha/ Murugan. & many other Gods.We all feel proud that Tamilians/ Andhras/ Kannadigas/ Gujarathies have taken the initiatives & drive to build all these temples in US, , which obviously would have had the full support & Donations, because these temples are frequented by all south Indians as well as North Indians. I find much unity of one & all . I lived in Poona for 10 years & in Jabalpur for 25 years. I & my family are much broad minded & nothing can change us . Hope you are convinced .
Sincerely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back