• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How can we encourage our kids to go to temple more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we all comfortable with not knowing Sri Iyer Ji's 'bonafides'? Please let us know. I will follow your lead on this.

KRS

since this is declared as an open forum, one shouldn't be worrying about one's bonafides, esp, when it comes to one's conviction, which cant be proved.

his posts are civil, and allow him to speak his mouth, rather welcome him.

can any one prove here that NARA is a pucca atheist, which many thought to be? not sure after when i read a PM from another member (i have shared with KRS), that he has also an idea of a subsect of hinduism to influence (not going to share what it is). sh.kunjuppu knows this, since he was also a part of that PM, few months ago.

can any one bet, that Yamaka is a atheist. is there any certificate/proof available. what guarantee or scientific proof you have?

i like sh.iyer.. his language and posts give some joy of reading, like how i enjoy every posts of nara/kunjuppu/brahmanyan/ragy.

give him a chance to entertain us, and let the people counter him, if they are smart enough. survival of the fittest indeed

if any one feels he is from other religion or caste, and should not be allowed here, then better change the rules of the forum.. as simple as that. one cant have the cake, and eat it too.

. now that you bend so much for nara,yamaka,HH, this posts of sh.iyer is nothing.. he hasnt badmouthed that bad here, when compared to those.

to conclude, faith and follwing doesnt need any credentials, as sh.kunjuppu wrongly puts it

ps: lessons to be learnt.. unless community learns to sail along the stream, may would jump the boat to swim along the stream. sh.iyer would be one good lot there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Sri ShivKC Ji,

As I have said, this Forum is open to all, as long as they follow the Forum rules.

This issue is not about non believing, faith, philosophy etc.

As I have said above, this is about duplicity, in terms of saying that one's views are rooted in the Vedas, and putting forward one's position based on that false claim. Look at his response to my question above to him to cite where in the Vedas his pov is contained as he claims. His response is bordered on arrogance, using our tradition of Gurus to preach to me. This is not the behavior of someone concerned about other's views. He seems to have no respect to the valid questions raised about him here. Why is he doing it? He could have very easily said, 'yes, my pov is not in the Hindu scriptures, but my views are mine alone'. No issues then. But then he resolutely denies that his view is from the theology of any of the Abrahamic religions. This is what I am questioning.

Now does this raise to a level where he has violated the Forum rules? No. But as Srimathi Renuka Ji has put it, some of you or most of you may feel that all the work you put in discussions are a waste of time, because Sri Iyer Ji may have a hidden agenda. This is the point. That is why I asked for your opinion.

In the past we have had a similar experience with one sapr333, who subtly brought claims against Hinduism, would not admit that he is a Christian and his arguments were based on it, insulted a few of our members for their views.

As long as our members understand where Sri Iyer Ji is coming from, in terms of his views, I have no issues.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
Folks,

As you all can plainly see, Sri Iyer Ji is probably not a Hindu.

Are we all comfortable with not knowing Sri Iyer Ji's 'bonafides'? Please let us know. I will follow your lead on this.

When someone does not come clean when specifically called to do so by Moderators/Administrators/Owners, it should be a cause of concern for the other members.

Many members do raise query regarding scriptural texts and even though Sri Nara and Sri Sangom have expressly stated themselves to be atheists/agnostics they have shared their best knowledge, and have not allowed their personal opinion to come in the way of sharing Hinduism related knowledge.

But can the same be expected from obfuscating members, who may belong to other religions? It is doubtful.

Regards

The topic of discussion in this forum is 'How to encourage our children go to temples?'During the course of exchanges, seems to have digressed.Can't we be just human beings not categorizing ourselves as hindu, muslim, christian, brahmin etc.. yet believe in God and believe God !!!We have fought enough battles and wars in the name of religion, caste etc.Should'nt we let our descendants live in peace and harmony as just human beings?Many questions may be raised in this thread like 'Do you practise what you preach? Are you being sincere and honest in what you claim yourselves to be?' etc but sure enough they would meet with unconvincing answers. Regards,Iyer

Dear Iyer,

I see only questions from you but yet to see answers from the questions put to you.
Still waiting you response about why you consider Narasimha Avatar fiction.

Let us not say "as fiction" even in Swapna. Lord Vishnu has incarnated in various
life forms on the earth to uphold the Dharma so as to contain the evil elements many
many million years ago as HE was the Protector and Sustainer of the earth.
To cite for examples -
The Life Forms are : Matsya, Kurma, Varaha, Narasimha, Vamana and Parasurama.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Folks,

As you all can plainly see, Sri Iyer Ji is probably not a Hindu.

We all can see how he answered my direct questions as well as others' with nebulous answers.

We welcome here all religions, all viewpoints as long as the discourse is civil. However there is something that is troubling me in his answers. His stance seems to be that he is a Hindu and learnt what he says from Hinduism, which from his answers one can very easily see as false.

In these situations, I usually put on my Moderators cap and would have given an ultimatum to get the 'bonafides', the term coined by Sri Kunjuppu Ji himself, but this time I am taking a different tack.

But I want to tell Sri Iyer Ji one thing. If you are here on the basis of your banking on ignorance on our members' part to sell your wares, as you can see, it will not work. On the other hand if that is not your intention, you are welcome here, pending our members' approvals.

Regards,
KRS

So Mr. KRS you want to know my bonafides, credentials, faith etc etc. Your skepticism and cynicism does not wonder me. I am not in anyway obliged to prove my credentials to you while yet honoring you as a moderator. Yet I shall give it to you. I am not in India now. Sometime during December, please visit Coimbatore. Wherever you alight, be it Rly stn or Bus stand, hire an auto and ask to be taken to Saibaba Colony. To be specific, ask for Iyer colony. In Iyer colony ask for Iyer who worked in Stanes Company (thats my father). Anyone will guide you. But before entering my house you need to prove you are a Brahmin. You will be tested. Mere poonool will not suffice. Do not be surprised if you end up being proved you are not a Brahmin. Please understand, of such austere severity is my household. In any case you are assured hospitality of the highest standards.

Well, coming to answering your questions. If I were to produce a reason for withholding straightforward answers to your questions, you might feel offended which I wish to refrain from. For me your questions are not worth responding.

As regards my current Identity and Faith, I am a Human Being. I believe in God. I believe God. I believe only God. I trust only God. You may term it whatever you wish.

Regards,
Iyer.

KRS,as our friend hariharan1972 would say, i think iyer is an expert at obfuscating. atleast i think so. i will pass the buck back to you, as to the 'iyer' case. maybe, if we ignore him, he will just disappear. we have members here wishing the same for folks like me, and so why not, do some tit for tat? :)
Sri Kunjuppu,I hold you in high esteem. I least expected this from you. You have disappointed me.Regards,Iyer.

To respond to Renuka and Nannilam,

Rishis have lived. Valmiki and Vedavyasa have lived. Jesus, Mohammed, Sankara, Madhwa, Ramanuja, Buddha, Mahavira, Guru Nanak have lived.

Epics and Legends were written to put a fear of God in man, to establish that Good always triumphs over evil. Making Gods out of epic characters is an outcome of excess devotion mingled with emotion. There is no evidence of the events have taken place in history. Fabricated evidences galore. Inconsistency exists between various versions of the same epic character. For instance, Kamba Ramayanam differs a little from Valmiki Ramayana. Vyasa's Mahabharatha differs a little from Villi Bharatham. Numerous films and tv serials on on so-called-hindu Gods, epics and legends are inconsistent among themselves. In South Indian versions of Ramayana, Rama is shown as tying a thaali while marrying Sita. North Indian versions show Rama affixing Bindi on Sita's forehead. Regional customs take precedence in depicting episodes. If epics were facts, then re-enacted versions have no authority to vary.

Existence of temples is no evidence to prove the epics and legends as fact. Temples were built also for Rajanikant, Kushbhoo and Annadurai. They don't become gods.

Hinduism is strictly an Englishman's coinage to refer to the various faiths and belief systems existing in the erstwhile Hindustan. The term is strictly English lexicon as is Christianity, Buddhism, Jainism etc. There are different dharmas and philosophies that have evolved in this now called India. Advaita and Dwaita do not agree and are discordant. Yet they are called Hindu philosophies as though they are common. Practices of Brahmins differ with language. Within sects there are sub-sects, sub-sub-sects. Even among Tamil Brahmins there are Vadama, Brahacharanam, Vadakalai, Thenkalai etc. Who is a Hindu then !!!

The present generation of youngsters, for whom internet and foreign jobs are of prime importance, visiting temples is of little significance. Web browsing centers are their temples. Their favourite heroes and heroines in whatever field are their gods. Whoever finds favour with their heroes are their demi-gods. They are shrewd enough to question the erstwhile practices of our forefathers. Old is of little significance to them. In such scenario how are we going to encourage them to visit temples.

Please ponder.

Regards,
Iyer

Regards,

Perhaps you may revise your opinion if you visit temples; people of all ages, castes and gender visit in large numbers. Green card wishing or holding youngsters too visit temples. You have a poor opinion of our youngsters; many follow with more conviction than the current middle aged generation of trishankus.

The present generation of youngsters, for whom internet and foreign jobs are of prime importance, visiting temples is of little significance. Web browsing centers are their temples. Their favourite heroes and heroines in whatever field are their gods. Whoever finds favour with their heroes are their demi-gods. They are shrewd enough to question the erstwhile practices of our forefathers. Old is of little significance to them. In such scenario how are we going to encourage them to visit temples.

Please ponder.

Regards,
Iyer

Regards,

A simple statement - I am an iyer by birth but by my new found conviction I have become a human being in a world of inhuman brahmins - would have been sufficient.

Why is it that converts whether to another religion, culture, nation, region are more intolerant to their native assets?

I am glad my circle of friends and relatives, have lot of respect for our traditions wherever they are.

So Mr. KRS you want to know my bonafides, credentials, faith etc etc. Your skepticism and cynicism does not wonder me. I am not in anyway obliged to prove my credentials to you while yet honoring you as a moderator. Yet I shall give it to you. I am not in India now. Sometime during December, please visit Coimbatore. Wherever you alight, be it Rly stn or Bus stand, hire an auto and ask to be taken to Saibaba Colony. To be specific, ask for Iyer colony. In Iyer colony ask for Iyer who worked in Stanes Company (thats my father). Anyone will guide you. But before entering my house you need to prove you are a Brahmin. You will be tested. Mere poonool will not suffice. Do not be surprised if you end up being proved you are not a Brahmin. Please understand, of such austere severity is my household. In any case you are assured hospitality of the highest standards.

Well, coming to answering your questions. If I were to produce a reason for withholding straightforward answers to your questions, you might feel offended which I wish to refrain from. For me your questions are not worth responding.

As regards my current Identity and Faith, I am a Human Being. I believe in God. I believe God. I believe only God. I trust only God. You may term it whatever you wish.

Regards,
Iyer.

1) S I am not in India now. Sometime during December, please visit Coimbatore. Wherever you alight, be it Rly stn or Bus stand, hire an auto and ask to be taken to Saibaba Colony. To be specific, ask for Iyer colony. In Iyer colony ask for Iyer who worked in Stanes Company (thats my father). Anyone will guide you.

2)If I were to produce a reason for withholding straightforward answers to your questions, you might feel offended which I wish to refrain from. For me your questions are not worth responding.

3)As regards my current Identity and Faith, I am a Human Being. I believe in God.
Iyer.

this is addressed to sh.KRS

1) he was quite clear he is an iyer, aka tamilbrahmin. so where the problem is?

2) he doesnt want to answer, cos he feels it may offend many of the forum members. i think, we should respect him, unlike nara/hh/yamaka who offended the tb's at every drop of hat. if still, why not counter him. i havent seen any one here, countering his posts, than running behind his personal identity. i think, we need to change the forum rules. if hh/y/n are allowed, lets give an ear to iyer too. his english is good and his posts are civil. why get emotional. counter him, and allow him to speak

3) his faith he has said here, though not crystal clear. so what? how many of us have the proof that Nara is not worshipping sriman narayana everyday? how much one can share a proof Yamaka is not visiting mosques or to temple along with his wife. do we have proof.. i dont understand the validity of term obfuscation in this era of internet, as said by sh.kunjuppu. has any one have a guarantee, his children have not shifted to another religion, and he himself started following their faith too?

im not pointing anyone personally. all im saying is, in this internet forum, you cant have a tab on any one.. one cant claim he is authentic, and another is obsfuscation, just by reading some of their emotional posts.

so either set the rules, and make it exclusively for tamilbrahmins.. or let any one do meandering here, like how nara,hh,Y did it.. and add sh.iyer also in to this club.

as far as i know, i can validate his claims of id,that iyers are dominated in sai baba colony of coimbatore, and like british jobs, they did dominate in Stanes Coffee, fifty years ago. reading the posts, i can feel, sh.iyer for sure is a tamizhbrahmin. anyway, it doesnt matter to me.

allow him to speak, or change the forum rules seeking ID cards, if not BAN him... thank you

2) he doesnt want to answer, cos he feels it may offend many of the forum members. i think, we should respect him, unlike nara/hh/yamaka who offended the tb's at every drop of hat. if still, why not counter him. i havent seen any one here, countering his posts, than running behind his personal identity. i think, we need to change the forum rules. if hh/y/n are allowed, lets give an ear to iyer too. his english is good and his posts are civil. why get emotional. counter him, and allow him to speak

3) his faith he has said here, though not crystal clear. so what? how many of us have the proof that Nara is not worshipping sriman narayana everyday? how much one can share a proof Yamaka is not visiting mosques or to temple along with his wife. do we have proof.. i dont understand the validity of term obfuscation in this era of internet, as said by sh.kunjuppu. has any one have a guarantee, his children have not shifted to another religion, and he himself started following their faith too?

im not pointing anyone personally. all im saying is, in this internet forum, you cant have a tab on any one.. one cant claim he is authentic, and another is obsfuscation, just by reading some of their emotional posts.

so either set the rules, and make it exclusively for tamilbrahmins.. or let any one do meandering here, like how nara,hh,Y did it.. and add sh.iyer also in to this club.

as far as i know, i can validate his claims of id,that iyers are dominated in sai baba colony of coimbatore, and like british jobs, they did dominate in Stanes Coffee, fifty years ago. reading the posts, i can feel, sh.iyer for sure is a tamizhbrahmin. anyway, it doesnt matter to me.

allow him to speak, or change the forum rules seeking ID cards, if not BAN him... thank you

I feel that a person who "says" he is an atheist is more believable than a person who goes on dodging what his real belief is. May be we have an iyer here who converted to Christianity when forced by circumstances - a case was mentioned by Shri Krishnamurthy sir also, I remember. If Shri iyer is of the same category, he should be bold enough to say that.
Of, course in an internet forum like this it may not be practical to verify everybody's id and get proof of his being a genuine Tamil Brahmin, even now with his brahmin beliefs intact.

In accordance with the version, which I had gone through, states the significance
of Maha Sivarathri in the following way. Lord Shiva happened to become Neelakandam
or the Blue Throated by swallowing the very deadly poison, that came up during the
churning of "Kshir Sagar" or the Milky Ocean. The poison was so deadly that even
a drop enters into his Stomach, which represents this Universe, would have destructed
or annihilated the entire World. Therefore, he held it in his neck, which turned blue
owing to the effect of that poison.

Shivarathri is therefore also celebrated as a Day of Thanksgiving to HIM for protecting
and safeguarding us from annihilation.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

I feel that a person who "says" he is an atheist is more believable than a person who goes on dodging what his real belief is. May be we have an iyer here who converted to Christianity when forced by circumstances - a case was mentioned by Shri Krishnamurthy sir also, I remember. If Shri iyer is of the same category, he should be bold enough to say that.
Of, course in an internet forum like this it may not be practical to verify everybody's id and get proof of his being a genuine Tamil Brahmin, even now with his brahmin beliefs intact.

i am quite surprised that you are comfortable with those ' 3 atheists' (though not sure if they were true atheists, without any hidden agenda of sv), and worried more about sh.iyer, who claimed himself born out of Iyer tradition, born in Saibabacolony, coimbatore agraharam.

arent you relying on more with words,than real proof, and seems to be ok with his Iyer origin. what if he was fooling about his story of coimbatore. what if nara/HH/yamaka were fooling you with their convincing stories..

this is internet.. whom one feels 'credential' may be fooling the rest.

give him an ear, having given ears to nara/y/hh. thats what im asking here. . dont corner him. he seems to be an intellect, i bet

A simple statement - I am an iyer by birth but by my new found conviction I have become a human being in a world of inhuman brahmins - would have been sufficient.

Why is it that converts whether to another religion, culture, nation, region are more intolerant to their native assets?

I am glad my circle of friends and relatives, have lot of respect for our traditions wherever they are.

Dear Sarang,

Please don't dictate how people need to express themselves. Don't expect others to express the way you prefer. You learn to understand others as they express themselves. I differ from you. I have expressed myself in more simpler terms clearerer than you have mentioned.

Are you not a human being? Don't you believe in the existence of God? Do you please God by your character and conduct or by your mechanical rituals? Do not answer me. Talk to your own conscience.

Regards,
Iyer

.............. May be we have an iyer here who converted to Christianity when forced by circumstances -..............If Shri iyer is of the same category, he should be bold enough to say that.

Exposes your narrow mindedness. You are not able to think beyond the confines of convert, 'ism's and 'ity's. You are in a shell and cocoon and hence you are not able to understand. Give yourself some self introspection. What is your identity? How true, how sincere, how honest are you to your claims of your identity. Don't you attempt to help your fellow human beings become better human beings? Don't you learn from others regardless of their so-called religious background, caste, creed, color, ethnicity etc.

Many in this forum have stated that a Hindu and also a Brahmin is all inclusive. However when so-called-other scriptures are quoted they object. It is being viewed with skepticism. It is being contended as hidden agenda. Don't you think it is hypocrisy.

Is this forum not a means to become better human beings. If it is, then the only way is to practise what you preach and preach what is right. Be broad minded, take good from all and reject the unacceptable.

How many of you who claim to be brahmins here are 100% brahmins indeed? How many of you are as brahmin as a brahmin who had lived 1000 years ago, or at least as a brahmin who lived 100 years ago. How many of you can guarantee that your 4th or 5th generation would practise what you practise now.

The world is changing. It has forced so-called brahmins also to change. If the beliefs, values, practises held by a brahmin a 100 years ago were to be set as standard for a brahmin, few would pass the test. I reckon none in this forum would ever pass the test.

Try to become better human beings than better brahmins.

Regards,
Iyer

i am quite surprised that you are comfortable with those ' 3 atheists' (though not sure if they were true atheists, without any hidden agenda of sv), and worried more about sh.iyer, who claimed himself born out of Iyer tradition, born in Saibabacolony, coimbatore agraharam.

arent you relying on more with words,than real proof, and seems to be ok with his Iyer origin. what if he was fooling about his story of coimbatore. what if nara/HH/yamaka were fooling you with their convincing stories..

this is internet.. whom one feels 'credential' may be fooling the rest.

give him an ear, having given ears to nara/y/hh. thats what im asking here. . dont corner him. he seems to be an intellect, i bet

Gratifies to learn there is at least one broadminded, rather one broadhearted person in this forum.

Regards,
Iyer

There was a housing colony called vincent colony in trichy, populated by iyers converted to catholicism. Many eminent persons including prof. lawrence sundaram have roots here.

A simple answer - A) I am a brahmin B) I was one, but no longer C) I am following a different faith - D) It is personal and I don't want to answer

One can follow any faith, no issue. The problem starts only he/ she starts criticizing brahmins and their traditions. Well, anyway, credentials will be revealed as more interactions take place.

Last edited:
There was a housing colony called vincent colony in trichy, populated by iyers converted to catholicism. Many eminent persons including prof. lawrence sundaram have roots here. A simple answer - A) I am a brahmin B) I was one, but no longer C) I am following a different faith - D) It is personal and I don't want to answerOne can follow any faith, no issue. The problem starts only he/ she starts criticizing brahmins and their traditions. Well, anyway, credentials will be revealed as more interactions take place.
There seems to be something terribly inaccurate and inappropriate with you in general and with your perception in particular. Perhaps you are one who criticizes other so-called-faiths. Hence you view any advise as criticism. Change your perception. Learn to appreciate. You will be on the path to become a better person.Regards,Iyer

Could someone tell me, in which of the 4 Vedas, or in which of the Upanishads or for that matter in which of the so-called hindu-scriptures is it anywhere commanded that you may refer to yourselves using the word 'Hindu'. IMHO it was a word coined by the Imperial Britishers to refer to the Indians who practised their native religion. Prior to the visit of the colonialists, the word 'Hindu' does not seem to have existed. What was the word the then followers of indian religion used to refer to themselves. When the so-called foreign scriptures are not acceptable, when the teaching and preaching of the prophets outside of India is considered alien, why should you ever subscribe to a term coined by foreigners to refer to us? Can you find an alternative word, strictly from the Indian scriptures, to refer to ourselves? It is a humble query. Could someone please help me?Regards,Iyer

Perhaps you may revise your opinion if you visit temples; people of all ages, castes and gender visit in large numbers. Green card wishing or holding youngsters too visit temples. You have a poor opinion of our youngsters; many follow with more conviction than the current middle aged generation of trishankus.

How many of the youngsters you are talking about diligently read the so-called hindu scriptures? How many of them have learnt sanskrit? How many of them can quote from the Vedas, Rig, Yajur, Sama; how many of them have read the Upanishads or quote from the Upanishads? How many of them can give a discourse on Bagwad Gita? If not a discourse, how many of them can quote at least one verse from the Gita? And most important, how many of them practise righteousness? How do they conduct themselves in public. Do they make an impact on others? Is their conduct and character such that others think "I wish I were born a brahmin?".

Visiting temples has become a fad and a fashion now. The agenda is entirely different. It is not to worship God.

I have many young colleagues who spend their weekends partying in high spirits. They also visit temples.

Regards,
Iyer

Dear Sri Iyer Ji,

No one asked for your birth details. Again this is why the word obfuscation was used.

I asked you two very simple questions:
Cite passages in Vedas where your view of God came from; State upfront whether you are a Christian (following the teachings of Jesus Christ).

The answer to first question should be very easy. Cite the passages from the Vedas to affirm your claim. The answer to the second question should be a mere 'yes' or 'no'.

Instead you go on this tirade. Even in this posting, you twist my question about bonafides. No one cares whether you were born in to a Brahmin family or not. No one cares whether you wear poonal, chant Gayatri 1008 times a day or follow strict vegetarianism. No one cares whether you live in a Iyer colony or for that matter what you father does.

You have an obligation to be straight in this Forum for the sake of our members. I do not care who your God is, what your God is, how you live, where you live; but I do care when you view our legitimate questions about the basis of your views as at best hostile and provide no answers. That is all.

Regards,
KRS

Regards,
Iyer.

Last edited:
I think the kids are interested in going to temples. Young minds nowadays are more in-questic. They get most of the answers on other topics through TV and internet. But their questions on idol worship and rituals remain un answered by their parents. And this basically is because the parents themselves do not know the answers and they (parents) have been brought up in an atmosphere where questioning is banned.

Dear Sri ShivKC Ji,

I don't know whether you have been reading my posts on this carefully. Because if you have, you would not have posted this. By the way, the Forum rules are good as they are.

Let us not confuse the issue. It is immaterial whether one is pretending to be someone they are not; as long as that pretension is consistent in the Forum.

In case of Sri Iyer Ji, he says something in the Forum that he can not prove. He says that his view of his God is from Vedas. I do not think so. Why is this important? Because he is pretending to be someone whose views are consistent with Vedas teachings. We know that is not true. So his pretensions have holes. We are not going to throw him out just because his pretensions have holes. But he has an obligation to come clean for the sake of the Forum members. I have already pointed this out to all of you. He will be allowed to continue to post, as I already have.

Lastly, let us not drag in the members who we know are not currently posting, because they can not defend themselves.

Regards,
KRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back