• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hi, i need your help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Renu,
Here is the recipe of my favourite vegetarian dish :). It's quite simple and easy.
It's called Dau hu Xao Xa ot (Tofu stir-fried with lemongrass and chillies)

1. Cut fresh tofu into small pieces and fry them till they're yellow and crispy. Take them out of the pan.
2. Mix minced lemongrass and red chillies (as much chillies as you want) then add them to the oil pan which you have used to fry fresh tofu earlier.
3. When it is fragrant, add fried tofu as well as a little of sugar, salt and soy sauce, mix well. Then add 1/2 cup of water. Stir them steadily in medium heat until it gets averagely thick.

In Viet Nam, vegetarian recipes always have tofu :), i think it's the same in China.

@ amala: that's a lovely question ;). Yes, i am a fan of Chelsea Football Club and i sure speak Vietnamese. I also speak some Italian and Japanese as i am studying them now. What i meant by "English and only English" is that English is the only language i can use to communicate with my Brahmin friend :) as he can speak...like 16 languages but Vietnamese, Japanese and Italian are not in his list.

Dear blues...thanks a million...

renu

@ amala: I am from the South of Viet Nam. Currently, i am living in Ho Chi Minh city which is the biggest most crowded city of Viet Nam. Ao dai is truly a splendid design of Vietnamese ancestors. Nonetheless, as a matter of fact, lots of young Vietnamese girls hate wearing that "conservative" beautiful traditional dress, which means girls here seem to have been westernized. Anyway, he loves seeing me in Ao dai, not in any exposing dress, and that makes my heart glow.
And thanks for your compliment about Vietnamese girls. You have no idea how much i admire Indian girls who always have attractive beautiful eyes, jet-black hair and shining adorable smiles.

:yo: Beautiful people are everywhere...

theblues, I wish, each of our Indian girls to be like you. You would be for sure the dearest daughter-in-law of your future Brahmin in-laws. The good friendship between you and your Brahmin guy has transformed you to be in Love and live for him. Subsequent to it, your mind set to be adaptable with his society and your sincere efforts to keep yourself and people around you happy, would for sure give you what you want.

Dear the blues, i am extremely happy to note that even though you have undergone modern education, still you are traditional and you are being very pragmatic not to be influnced by western values and you can maintain your own vietnamese identity.i am very sad to say that many of our indian girls are not proud of their culture and are getting westernised.in cities like bangalore and chennai, many girls are behaving as if they have come from europe and america!even the traditional concept of marriage is fast changing-divorvces are common, many girls have an entirely different attitude towards marriage, they copy the western model!-i am pretty sure that you have a balanced attitude towards life-i really appreciate.it is a discovery for us.
Best wishes.
Balagopal

Dear Blues...

You are so much like me and amala...
we are 3rd generation Malaysians of Indian origin and we have not forgotten our culture,religion and roots...thats why we joined TB forum to learn more on Hinduism..
Amala and I are modern girls with traditional values and truly indian at heart...
So nice to know that you are like us too...

Way to go girl..this song is for you...

YouTube - Barney - I Love You

renu

Dear Blues...

You are so much like me and amala...
we are 3rd generation Malaysians of Indian origin and we have not forgotten our culture,religion and roots...thats why we joined TB forum to learn more on Hinduism..
Amala and I are modern girls with traditional values and truly indian at heart...
So nice to know that you are like us too...

Way to go girl..this song is for you...

YouTube - Barney - I Love You

renu

:yo: to you and Amala..........

:yo: to you and Amala..........

Ravi,

It reminds me of the following lines of Kannadasan

நாடு விட்டு நாடு சென்றால் பெண்மை நாணமின்றி போய்விடுமா'

Our girls will continue to follow our traditions in spite of moving out of our country.

When it comes to expressing things in a very simple way, Kannadasan always excels.

All the best

Ravi,

Our girls will continue to follow our traditions in spite of moving out of our country.

When it comes to expressing things in a very simple way, Kannadasan always excels.

All the best

Dear RVR anna,

Its through blessings of elders like you anna..that motivates me and amala to continue tradition and culture...

renu

Ravi,

All the best

Sri RVR ji,

Absolutely true.....

I have a few clients working as Cabin crews with Emirates Airlines. Out of tham there are few 2nd or 3rd generation Tamil girls from Malaysia and Singapore.

I could very well understand the variations in their life style and belief system in contrast to Indian born and brought up girls.

Again, the variations can be due to the influence of one's profession as well and accepting the changes with interest or without interest due valid reasons.

Whatever, good girls are everywhere, irrespective of one’s Nationality, Religion, Cast

Here in this Forum we are proud to have Amala, Renuka Devi and theblues...

:thumb:

Last edited:
Dear RVR anna,

Its through blessings of elders like you anna..that motivates me and amala to continue tradition and culture...

renu

Renu,

I could manage to get the song from youtube.

YouTube - Oru Raja Raniyidam

It is a melodius song beaufully composed by Kannadasan, wonderfully sung by TMS and P Suseela with excellent music by M S Viswanathan.

The lines of Kannadasan which I wrote earlier comes in this song only

All the best

indian grocery stores in hcm city

Are there any indian grocery stores in Hanoi and Ho chi Min city? - Yahoo!7 Answers

these are the indian restaurants

Alibaba 60 Le Thanh Ton, D1, tel: 8233594
- Ashoka 17A/10 Le Thanh Ton, D1, tel: 8231372
- Ashoka II33 Tong Huu Dinh, Thao Dien, An Phu, D2, tel: 5122177
- Saigon Indian 1F, 73 Mac Thi Buoi, tel: 8245671
- Tandoor 103 Vo Van Tan, D3, tel: 9304839
- Urvashi 27 Hai Trieu, D1, tel: 8213102

blues, hope the above helps you. the restaurants can tell you where they get their ingredients. probably singapore or malaysia, i would guess.

Explain please

Hi everyone,

I know it may sound ridiculous to say that i am not a Brahmin but here i am joining the Tamil Brahmin online community. However, i am here because i want to know about everything of your caste, which i can hardly read from any books. Such information doesn't seem to be published in any particular book about Brahmin or something like that, or at least, not in English. So, i do hope you can provide me such precious information which is utterly important to me as i am a non-religious girl from South East Asia and I've unintentionally deeply fallen in love with an Indian guy who is a pure vegetarian from Chennai, and only since last night, I've by chance come to know that my friend is a Brahmin.

I have two mere questions (at the moment ;) i will ask more soon), which i hope you can help me answer them.

1. I have read in wikipedia that Iyers comprise of Smartha and Saivite Brahmins and are broadly classified into Vadama, Vathima, Brhatcharnam, Ashtasahasram, Sholiyar and Gurukkal. So i wonder if there's any difference between 6 aboves.

2. I know that Brahmins won't marry anyone from other castes or religions, which i wonder if it's a sin for a Brahmin to marry someone who is not in his caste. Is there any possibility for a girl like me to be a part of a Brahmin family?

One more question added. Is there a special God that is worshiped by all Brahmin as his main God? Or does it depend on each individual's choice to worship his own main God?

If you can answer any of those questions, please reply. I am sincerely wholly desperate for your help.

:help: Thanks in advance :).

My grandmother used to explain it by a rhyming dialect and I was expecting someone to give explanation in that line. It goes like

Vadama ... Kattu
Vathima... Settu
Brahacharanam ....Bebbay
Asthasathram .... Asthabistam

Can someone explain this? All I understood was that my grandmother used to make my mother not comfortable by saying it. Therefore I never sought explanation to it from them.

My grandmother used to explain it by a rhyming dialect and I was expecting someone to give explanation in that line. It goes like

Vadama ... Kattu
Vathima... Settu
Brahacharanam ....Bebbay
Asthasathram .... Asthabistam

Can someone explain this? All I understood was that my grandmother used to make my mother not comfortable by saying it. Therefore I never sought explanation to it from them.
hi RKB dir,
vadama kattu means ..madisara kattu of vadamas
vathima settu means...very well organised in money matters...
brahacharam....little innocent/may be kinda choplangi
asthasastram.....eight types abhistam...i may be wrong
my 2 cents...

regards
tbs

Dear theblues...

You seem to be a really nice girl who holds on to tradition and culture...

How would your parents view your Tamil Brahmin friend...since he is not Vietnamese and a total foreigner in terms of race,religion and culture...

Wont your parents view it as you leaving your culture?
Will they consent to interracial marriage?
You seem to be very ready to adapt..which is good too.. but you would be losing out a little of your own culture in that process..

I am asking you this question becos i like your answers..
any also to know your thoughts becos i am amazed that you are so adaptable..
as i would have never considered marrying a person of a different race and religion not becos i view people as differently but just that its easier and i dont have to adapt and make changes...

i really want to know your opinion...

renu

Renu,

I could manage to get the song from youtube.

YouTube - Oru Raja Raniyidam

It is a melodius song beaufully composed by Kannadasan, wonderfully sung by TMS and P Suseela with excellent music by M S Viswanathan.

The lines of Kannadasan which I wrote earlier comes in this song only

All the best

Dear RVR hero anna,

Thanks a lot for song....

renu

Dear the blues, dr.renukarthikayan has very correctly put our doubts, but we all admire you.the same may be the case on the boy's parents side.a veritable dialogue is needed on both sides to sort out things, which may be in the near future or not.frankly speaking, as i said earlier, it is a discovery for us to find a lady from vietnam to be so pragmatic and adoptable.it is a pity that so many of our indian girls after marrige with indian boys are not adoptable with their parents-in-laws, why in some cases even with their husbands!
Balagopal

Dear Renu and Balagopal,

When it comes to a tough question to answer, we all usually say "That's a good question". In this case, i would say, your questions are very good ones, dearest Renu ;).

When i was little, i used to ask my parents this question, "What if one day i love a foreigner and want to marry him?", and i would proudly say i am such a lucky girl to have lovely parents who answered "As long as you two truly love each other and respect each other's tradition and culture, nothing can be a problem in that"...Their answer is still the same as of now, which obviously means i don't need to worry about falling in love with a foreigner in terms of different race, religion, language and culture...

Adapting to a new culture doesn't mean that i am leaving my own culture, i believe. It's just like you have a daughter and she's getting married soon. We won't take it as "I am losing my daughter" but as "I am going to have a new son", right? ;)...My culture has been in my blood since i was born and no matter where i go, what i do, i am still a Vietnamese in my inner self...If i am lucky enough to be his wife,...then it just makes me a wife and daughter-in-law of Indian yet still a daughter of Vietnamese :). You see,...i am not losing anything but being able to be a part of a new community, getting to know a new culture and having more roles and titles.

Being able to approach a new culture, especially my beloved's culture, is a good thing actually. It's way too romantic to say "No matter how hard it is, i will do it all just to get to know all about him and to be a part of his life", but that's how i tell myself to take it in an easier way. It's love that leads the path and makes things seem easy, Renu. Taking changes is hard, but isn't impossible...Nevertheless, it's all about perception. Personally, it's impossible for me to spend the rest of my life living with someone i don't love...So i would rather let love govern me, though it's arduous, it's worth ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Kunjuppu: I know those restaurants, however, there are only a few of them serving South Indian's food. I actually haven't tried any of them yet, i think i will try next month when i get my salary lol. Anyhow, i do hope i can find those ingredients in Viet Nam, or else, i won't know how to get them if they're only available in Singapore or Malaysia and other countries but not here. Thanks for your info ;)

Dear Renu and Balagopal,

When it comes to a tough question to answer, we all usually say "That's a good question". In this case, i would say, your questions are very good ones, dearest Renu ;).

When i was little, i used to ask my parents this question, "What if one day i love a foreigner and want to marry him?", and i would proudly say i am such a lucky girl to have lovely parents who answered "As long as you two truly love each other and respect each other's tradition and culture, nothing can be a problem in that"...Their answer is still the same as of now, which obviously means i don't need to worry about falling in love with a foreigner in terms of different race, religion, language and culture...

Adapting to a new culture doesn't mean that i am leaving my own culture, i believe. It's just like you have a daughter and she's getting married soon. We won't take it as "I am losing my daughter" but as "I am going to have a new son", right? ;)...My culture has been in my blood since i was born and no matter where i go, what i do, i am still a Vietnamese in my inner self...If i am lucky enough to be his wife,...then it just makes me a wife and daughter-in-law of Indian yet still a daughter of Vietnamese :). You see,...i am not losing anything but being able to be a part of a new community, getting to know a new culture and having more roles and titles.

Being able to approach a new culture, especially my beloved's culture, is a good thing actually. It's way too romantic to say "No matter how hard it is, i will do it all just to get to know all about him and to be a part of his life", but that's how i tell myself to take it in an easier way. It's love that leads the path and makes things seem easy, Renu. Taking changes is hard, but isn't impossible...Nevertheless, it's all about perception. Personally, it's impossible for me to spend the rest of my life living with someone i don't love...So i would rather let love govern me, though it's arduous, it's worth ;)

Dear rainbow...(No more blues)...

You sound too good to be true..Being in love especially the early stages sometimes does give us the Marijuana high feeling...for me at least..
But you sound sincere and I believe you...
Be ready girl...many guys in this forum are going to fall in love with you...I can bet on that...

here is a song for you...

YouTube - "Tujhe Dekha To" - Song - DILWALE DULHANIA LE JAYENGE

Dear dr.renukakarthikayan, i have started admiring you! You seem to have a balanced attitude towards everything in life!-please keep it up!-your thinking is fresh and you are young at heart-am i correct?
What you have said is true-many guys will fall for the blues!-there is a que already!
Balagopal

Dear dr.renukakarthikayan, i have started admiring you! You seem to have a balanced attitude towards everything in life!-please keep it up!-your thinking is fresh and you are young at heart-am i correct?
What you have said is true-many guys will fall for the blues!-there is a que already!
Balagopal

Dear Balaji...

Thanks a lot...i have lots of admirers these days...dont know why?
In Facebook....even here(dont tell others Ok) and even some of my friends......
dont know why..?

So you know what...You take a number too and wait in line...

ha ha ha
renu

Dear Renu,

That's the optimism one should show to others when tough things come up ;), so that even if i at times find it too hard to move forward and want to give up, at least, i know i am supported for what i have said to others, which makes them believe in me and vice versa, they make me believe in myself again and start moving on...
It's true that love at early stage is usually passionate and gives us feeling of being in heaven...but it doesn't mean that love in later phase will be less passionate ;)

Anyway,...i am trying to take things slowly and patiently...so that i won't be shocked for the tremendous difference and change of the brand new culture, religion and stuffs...and for sure, i will always be in need of your help on the way to a Brahmin's heart and his family' ones ;)

Thanks for your lovely song even though i don't understand its lyrics, but i guess it's about love :)
By the way, i would love to know who those "many guys" are and where the queue is lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Renu,

That's the optimism one should show to others when tough things come up ;), so that even if i at times find it too hard to move forward and want to give up, at least, i know i am supported for what i have said to others, which makes them believe in me and vice versa, they make me believe in myself again and start moving on...
It's true that love at early stage is usually passionate and gives us feeling of being in heaven...but it doesn't mean that love in later phase will be less passionate ;)

Anyway,...i am trying to take things slowly and patiently...so that i won't be shocked for the tremendous difference and change of the brand new culture, religion and stuffs...and for sure, i will always be in need of your help on the way to a Brahmin's heart and his family' ones ;)

Thanks for your lovely song even though i don't understand its lyrics, but i guess it's about love :)

Dear rainbow...

Hey..You know what I am not even a Brahmin !(only my mum is).. I would not know the way to a Brahmins heart at all..unless I am doing a post mortem on one...
Anyway..you can always ask me anything..I am a pretty cool person even though I am 40 years old..

bye rainbow
renu

@Renu: I know you are a doctor but i am astounded to be informed about ur age. What Balagopal said is evidently true, u surely are young at heart :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back