• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hi, i need your help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ravi...you are a beruk...(beruk is a malay word)
You are only going to get bananas when you come to Malaysia..
Amala is going to get all the food I cook...:nono:

What to do Renu ji??? I am gonna helpless....But one humble request..Don't give me banana...I love Jake fruits a lot...manage to get me if you can..:dance:

Dear RVR mama you're invited of course...and Kunjuppuji and Nara mama and TBS mama and Raghy mama and everyone else that posts here :)

Dear Amala,

We are not going to spoil our tongue with Chinese and Italian cuisines....Renu ji, excuse us...In fact join us

All we guys gona have a feast in Sri RVR's ji's house...

Sri RVR ji, we enjoyed the Mami’s preparations during our meet on the evening of Pongal.

Lets join there and help each other with all the varieties that I have listed and all that other could come up with...

Let us show these Malaysian gals what up to we are in food..

Dear Amala,

We are not going to spoil our tongue with Chinese and Italian cuisines....Renu ji, excuse us...In fact join us

Sri RVR ji, we enjoyed the Mami’s preparations during our meet on the evening of Pongal.

Lets join there and help each other with all the varieties that I have listed and all that other could come up with...

Ravi,

Personally I don't know cooking. I only know how to prepare filter coffee (Kumbakonam Degree Coffee)

Earlier I used to wake up with filter coffee and The Hindu newspaper. I have given up reading Hindu newspaper. But I cannot give up my filter coffee.

Anyway all of you are welcome and manage yourselves.

All the best

Ravi

In my younger days, the marriages in the erstwhile Tanjore district (Present Thanjavur, Thiruvarur and Nagappattinum districts) use to celebrate marriages with three items

Filter Coffee

Betel Leaves (Paan)

Playing Cards

If any one of the above three goes wrong then there will be big fight during marriage function.

If marriage function has to go smoothly then the above three has to be taken care off. People were not bothering about regular food.

This is just a piece of information

All the best

Dear Amala,

Dont challenge us Ravi...Amala and I will cook well..why dont we have a cooking competition...

YouTube - Samayal Song

renu

Ravi

In my younger days, the marriages in the erstwhile Tanjore district (Present Thanjavur, Thiruvarur and Nagappattinum districts) use to celebrate marriages with three items

Filter Coffee

Betel Leaves (Paan)

Playing Cards

If any one of the above three goes wrong then there will be big fight during marriage function.

If marriage function has to go smoothly then the above three has to be taken care off. People were not bothering about regular food.

This is just a piece of information

All the best

I have seen such galattas in tamil movies...

I could not resist myself laughing to the extent of crunching myself by recollecting a comedy scene in a old Tamil movie.

During the feast after the muhurtham, when girl's side and boy's side people along with others have the lunch (in a pandhi), a conflict breaks out, when the boy's father complaints on the size of the Laddoo.

When the groom's father says : You have served us with a very small size laddoo

The bride's father says : So what?? Than have two laddoos instead of one

The groom's father furiously retaliates: Do you think we never seen and eaten laddoo in our life, and here we are desperately taking the chance to enjoy?

It leads to a great hue-and-cry and ends up in big scuffle...In this drama, Senthil looses one of his legs (who was just a passer by and had entered the marriage hall, mistakenly and forcefully dragged in by a receptionist. The poor guy was held with great hospitality, not to leave the hall without having food).
:pound:

So, the taste, smell, strength, color and size of each food variety matters a lot in South Indian Hindu marriage..

This is the fact that was shown in the movie hilariously...

theblues, hope you could get to know the South Indian specialties and the people through many of the posts. We South Indians are loving, caring and sincere people....,but may be bit particular in formalities. :hungry:

Last edited:
Dear the blues, you seem to have a broad outlook to learn about brahmins, their religion, customs etc.study their religion and tell your would be husband that he can have his religious freedom and that you will help him in all his religious activities.reg non vegetarianism, you can have once a week non vegetarian food after marriage thus showing him that you are ready to sacrifice for his sake.by and by you can switch to vegetarian food which all over the world many people are going for.tamil is a simple language, you can learn it, till such time you can talk in english! Learn to cook his favourite dishes, through this you can win his heart as well as his parents.pour love and affection on his parents just like you do for your parents.finally view marriage seriously as once in a lifetime affair and love and affection is the only thing most needed, not money, status etc, all these things can be earned! All the best!
Balagopal

:) you guys are so loving, understanding, thoughtful and warm.

:) Dear all,
I've been busy with exams lately that I've not had the chance to check this thread out and i am implicitly astonished to see so many interesting and thoughtful posts and i do appreciate profusely for your concerns. Usually, i will get an notification email when there is a new post but looks like there are so many new posts that the system managed not to send me any emails ;)

@ Kunjuppu: I also believe the theory that the way to a man's heart lies through his stomach. I have thought of learning how to cook vegetarian dishes from South of India, but i can see that it's not easy at all because there's no one here who can teach me that and taste my food before he does. Doing that alone sounds risky (for my friend) as i wonder what he will say if he tastes the horrible sambhar ever in the world lol...I can find lots of recipes on the internet but i cannot find all the ingredients and can't be sure if i get it right, which is really a problem.

And you're right, my friend is a typical Brahmin who loves reading books and always passed first rank. However, he's an experienced and mature one. He's wise, witty, intelligent and knowledgeable than anyone i have ever known. Therefore, i don't think any traps of mine can really get him in ;)

@ C Ravi: To be honest, he doesn't love me (yet, i hope). We're very close, he likes me and he does care for me a lot, that's the only thing i can be sure. He's a patient one and he wants us to take things slowly as he used to have a broken heart. I believe in what we're having and sharing with each other and have faith that it's on the right track and will go further. He keeps saying that i don't know much about him, his family, his culture, his country...so this is the only way i can prove that I'm making lots of efforts to know and understand it all...I feel lucky to find such a guy like him, actually

@ Amala: I'm from...Viet Nam, a pure Vietnamese.

@ tbs: Thanks so much. I believe that my happy home will be made of my heart and that Brahmin's heart with unconditional and pure love.

@ rekukakarthikayan: You're also right. Food is needed for survival only. It's the thought of modern women. I don't know if this is called luckily or unfortunately,...i am a very traditional girl, so even though i support your opinion and i am educated as a modern girl, i personally think that it'd be nice if i myself alone cook for my (future) husband.

@ Balagopal: I don't really worry about the my non-vegetarian background as i can be a pure vegetarian for two continuous months without any problem. You must be the first one to tell me that Tamil is a simple language. But nothing is impossible, i believe. It may take years to get the language, but time can never be a problem :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been busy with exams lately that I've not had the chance to check this thread out and i am implicitly astonished to see so many interesting and thoughtful posts and i do appreciate profusely for your concerns. Usually, i will get an notification email when there is a new post but looks like there are so many new posts that the system managed not to send me any emails ;)

@ Kunjuppu: I also believe the theory that the way to a man's heart lies through his stomach. I have thought of learning how to cook vegetarian dishes from South of India, but i can see that it's not easy at all because there's no one here who can teach me that and taste my food before he does. Doing that alone sounds risky (for my friend) as i wonder what he will say if he tastes the horrible sambhar ever in the world lol...I can find lots of recipes on the internet but i cannot find all the ingredients and can't be sure if i get it right, which is really a problem.

And you're right, my friend is a typical Brahmin who loves reading books and always passed first rank. However, he's an experienced and mature one. He's wise, witty, intelligent and knowledgeable than anyone i have ever known. Therefore, i don't think any traps of mine can really get him in ;)

@ C Ravi: To be honest, he doesn't love me (yet, i hope). We're very close, he likes me and he does care for me a lot, that's the only thing i can be sure. He's a patient one and he wants us to take things slowly as he used to have a broken heart. I believe in what we're having and sharing with each other and have faith that it's on the right track and will go further. He keeps saying that i don't know much about him, his family, his culture, his country...so this is the only way i can prove that I'm making lots of efforts to know and understand it all...I feel lucky to find such a guy like him, actually

@ tbs: Thanks so much. I believe that my happy home will be made of my heart and that Brahmin's heart with unconditional and pure love.

@ rekukakarthikayan: You're also right. Food is needed for survival only. It's the thought of modern women. I don't know if this is called luckily or unfortunately,...i am a very traditional girl, so even though i support your opinion and i am educated as a modern girl, i personally think that it'd be nice if i myself alone cook for my (future) husband.

@ Balagopal: I don't really worry about the my non-vegetarian background as i can be a pure vegetarian for two continuous months without any problem. You must be the first one to tell me that Tamil is a simple language. But nothing is impossible, i believe. It may take years to get the language, but time can never be a problem :)

dear theblues...

Can you share with me some vietnamese vegetarian recipes...
I like chinese veg food..
hope you will enlighten me

one more thing..i really like the Ao Dai..I actually have one.....

renu

Last edited:

@ Balagopal: I don't really worry about the my non-vegetarian background as i can be a pure vegetarian for two continuous months without any problem. You must be the first one to tell me that Tamil is a simple language. But nothing is impossible, i believe. It may take years to get the language, but time can never be a problem

:yo:

theblues,

our differences of cultures is minute. mainly in the food. not in values.

we both share an asian set of values - love of family, care by/for parents, hard work, ambition, thrift and above all 'a go getting can-do' attitude. also we both love rice.

i learned to cook from scratch because my wife sometimes goes on strike. i graduated from western to south indian foods, just looking at the web recipes, and having a general sense of taste.

also, i take very little salt, which helps, as i can always add more of that stuff.

upma is the easiest of snacks.

pongal is next easy. this is rice based.

the vegetables all follow a standard process: chop them. sautee them in hot oil with cracked mustard, salt, asafoetida, turmeric, chili powder .. all of these to taste.

Plain Upma

this recipe for plain upma. you can have variations. try this first. buy some indian pickles (lemon or mango) & that will be the first step :)

if you google 'south indian vegetarian recipes' you will get more than enough info for cooking. there are also some youtube videos.

best wishes. as you can see, we are all rooting for you :cheer2:

Last edited:
hi all !
heartening to see such "spirited" advice doled out to a young girl "happy in love"..gud v are all able to cut across various divisions to unite in making her feel wecome..my suggestion to "the blues" first change ur name to "sunshine" and smile away thru out ur life:)
kudos to our grup too :)
durga

hi the blues,

Are u from Hanoi? Even I had an Ao Dai but i gave it away before I came to London. It reminds me of a mix of the Indian Salwar and the Chinese Qipao. You friend is lucky to have you. Vietnamese girls are the epitome of grace and oriental beauty just like Thais :)

Vietnamese girls are the epitome of grace and oriental beauty just like Thais

No more than Indian girls with progressive slant, like someone I know from Malaysia who is now in London :)

Hello theblues, you are getting a lot of love from my friends, I join with them and offer mine as well. BTW, your moniker "theblues" has special affection for me. I love blues music, I just can't get enough of it. If I am ever in Gitmo I hope the CIA tortures me with Jimmi Hendrix because I can't get enough of his music.

lot of love to you...

No more than Indian girls with progressive slant, like someone I know from Malaysia who is now in London :)

Someone in London is going to have sleepless night........
amala, i can prescibe medication if you have difficulty sleeping...

renu

hi the blues,
r u vietanameese?...nice to hear..recently a vietnemese story movie..
about a love story of french girl with chinese guy...very nice movie..
but i forgot the name....hanoi is beautiful city...i bet u r rice eater..like
us ..much about curd rice ppl(thayir sadam)...any way vietnameese
gals are beautiful...a part hindu/buddhist culture...

regards
tbs

Dear the blues, you are from vietnam, one of the oldest asian civilisations, i am pretty sure that your culture is similar to indian culture in that we hold family values as the most important and respect for elders and stressing bond between parents and children as the most ever lasting one.you see in india even if the son or daughter is over 25 years of age, they are still considered as children by the parents!
I would request you to maintain your unique vietnamese culture and not to adopt western way of life! I do feel that you are a remarkable young lady!
Balagopal

@ Renu: I will give you some recipes tomorrow night when i am totally free from classes ;)

@ kunjuppu: I know that the mustard you use is different from the Japanese mustard and i am afraid i can not get that ingredient here. However, there are some good South Indian restaurants here, so i think there must be somewhere around here which sells it but i can't find it anywhere. Or do i have to make the mustard, and how?
Yes, i will read "She stoops to conquer" ;) and i now got what you meant by the true sense of the word "traps"

@ amala: I am from the South of Viet Nam. Currently, i am living in Ho Chi Minh city which is the biggest most crowded city of Viet Nam. Ao dai is truly a splendid design of Vietnamese ancestors. Nonetheless, as a matter of fact, lots of young Vietnamese girls hate wearing that "conservative" beautiful traditional dress, which means girls here seem to have been westernized. Anyway, he loves seeing me in Ao dai, not in any exposing dress, and that makes my heart glow.
And thanks for your compliment about Vietnamese girls. You have no idea how much i admire Indian girls who always have attractive beautiful eyes, jet-black hair and shining adorable smiles.

@ Nara: Thanks for your love :). I don't want to upset you but actually, "theblues" isn't about blues music but is a nick name of a football club.

@ tbs: Yes, we Vietnamese are rice eater. You can find lots of Vietnamese Buddhist here, however, not that many of Vietnamese Hindu. If you love Vietnamese movie, i think you should watch the movie "THE REBEL" released internationally in Jan, 2009, which is a good one about love and history in Viet Nam during war time.

@ BALAGOPAL: Yes, you're right. Our culture is exactly the same as Indian culture in terms of family's value and bond. Thank you for your compliment about the "remarkable" part. As i said in my previous post, i am a very traditional girl but educated as modern woman, so there's indeed nothing to worry about the side effect of westernization towards me.

@ Durga: Thank you for joining and for your suggestion about the "sunshine" nickname but for sure i do always smile through out my life no matter whatever my name is ;). I truly do feel welcomed, cared and loved here even though i have joined this community for just a few days. You guys are simply awesome, so loving and thoughtful.

Hi theblues,

So you like Chelsea FC? :). How come you say you only speak English and only English? Don't you speak Vietnamese? Sorry for the questions. its just that I've never met Vietnamese people who can't speak Vietnamese unless their American Vietnamese ;-)

a vegetarian Vietnamese recipe :)

Dear Renu,
Here is the recipe of my favourite vegetarian dish :). It's quite simple and easy.
It's called Dau hu Xao Xa ot (Tofu stir-fried with lemongrass and chillies)

1. Cut fresh tofu into small pieces and fry them till they're yellow and crispy. Take them out of the pan.
2. Mix minced lemongrass and red chillies (as much chillies as you want) then add them to the oil pan which you have used to fry fresh tofu earlier.
3. When it is fragrant, add fried tofu as well as a little of sugar, salt and soy sauce, mix well. Then add 1/2 cup of water. Stir them steadily in medium heat until it gets averagely thick.

In Viet Nam, vegetarian recipes always have tofu :), i think it's the same in China.

@ amala: that's a lovely question ;). Yes, i am a fan of Chelsea Football Club and i sure speak Vietnamese. I also speak some Italian and Japanese as i am studying them now. What i meant by "English and only English" is that English is the only language i can use to communicate with my Brahmin friend :) as he can speak...like 16 languages but Vietnamese, Japanese and Italian are not in his list.

hi the blues,
recently i saw another vietnam war era movie...an american soldier
loves and marry a vietnameese gal...a very nice movie....i saw some
village type parts in the movie....i heard hanoi is most populated city...
hats off Viet Nam....

regards
tbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back