• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First Of All, Let Us Unite!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sri anandr91,

We can only unite if our differences are understood and tackled. How does one just 'put aside diffrences'? without trying to understand why they exist. This is not 'one upping', or 'finger pinting' but rather 'amicable discussions'.

This is why theis thread was started - to iron out the differences through discussions. I do not understand what you are saying - that this thread should not be used for such discussions?

Pranams,
KRS

No i didnt mean to say that we should have this thread, what all I am trying to say is that if we need to unite, we shouldnt be trying to argue with one another, rather as u said discuss. in my humble opinion.

Dear sri anandr91 Ji,

Good point. But can you please point out where we are 'arguing', instead of 'discussing'. If you pin point such instances, we can surely improve our dialog here.

Pranams,
KRS

No i didnt mean to say that we should have this thread, what all I am trying to say is that if we need to unite, we shouldnt be trying to argue with one another, rather as u said discuss. in my humble opinion.

I would have to call myself the "the prodigal son/brahmin". while growing up, I never realized or enjoyed the wealth and value of hindusim. chalk one up for the "secular education" u get in christian institutions. since i am out of those influence I feel like that I should return to my roots and immerse myself in what was there all the time around me.When I joined this forum, I was so excited to be in midst of something wonderful, I was amazed by the wealth of knowledge and information that each and everyone of u had to say and contribute in here. was eager to come and visit this site everyday to find new information. but if u seen the last few days, the exchange/banter that has been happening between a few of u, sometimes has been bordering on a little annoying. for an onlooker/bystander. maybe it is just me who felt that way or there could be other members in the forum who felt that. one thing i have noticed is that it seems to be the same few people who have been posting messages lately.each one trying to quote something to one up the other one, or accusing/accused of "taking sides" and "ganging up".

I am not saying that there shouldnt be this exchange happening between people. I do agree with u Mr.KRS that without a discussion there is never a solution. argue, discuss these are just different semantics. i for one believe that u cant have a discussion without an argument. one has to argue in what they believe. argue here i refer to as non-confrontional. one has to argue in what they believe and then discuss the merits and de-merits of each others argument to get at solutions.

if u look at a few postings, they have all end up with someone apologizing for what they said or the whole thread gets side tracked, like what we are doing now. instead of talking about unity, we are talking about is it arguement or discussion.

the computer world is very impersonal. do we really know what one is actually feeling. i would be cursing like a sailor about u while i am typing this reply(dont worry, i am not, just have a big smile on my face). saying apologies or putting a smiley face after a reply or saying that what u said was a joke or in jest or even prephasing any replies with "in discussing" do we really say what we want to and feel like saying?

I feel very queasy to write this reply. it is not meant to be malicious or disrespectful. I have seen u mention MR.KRS that u have been in the states for about 32 yrs or so, that is close to being my lifetime. so I assume u are much older than me and I dont like to be saying stuff like this to someone older to me. so goes to the other members, like Mr's. MM, N, Appaiah, Saab and the rest. (for all we know these gusy could be just high schoolers.) some of the back and forth between some members, you could have fooled me, felt like that they were genuinely at odds and at each others throat(ala shakthivel thevar and maya thevar, borrowing a cheap movie comparision)

that brought me to think, do I really know anyone of these people. the forum i feel lacks a personal touch. maybe if i knew how and what kinda interaction some of these members have between them, that kinda thought wouldnt come across your mind when u read their postings. maybe it is time to start a new thread where everyone says a few lines about who they are, where they are and stuff like that. to get to know one another better. maybe will lead to unity. Administrator u could arrange for something like and maybe that is the first thread that someone new who is registering will be led into so they have to say something personal about them.

Mr.KRS hope i made myself clear. it doesnt matter if it is arguments/discussion a lot of people like me are benefitting with the wealth of knowledge and discourses that happen here. I was and am ignorant of a lot of these vedas, shasthras and smritis.not that I was around it while growing up, but my eyes and ears werent open to it and maybe I think i have reached a point in my life that I feel that I should know more about who I really am. helps to educate me. my whole intention in the quest for knowledge and truth can be summed by the tamil saying "KANNU PONNAPPRAM SURYA NAMASKARAM". I dont want to be in that situation.

I would have to call myself the "the prodigal son/brahmin". while growing up, I never realized or enjoyed the wealth and value of hindusim. chalk one up for the "secular education" u get in christian institutions. since i am out of those influence I feel like that I should return to my roots and immerse myself in what was there all the time around me.When I joined this forum, I was so excited to be in midst of something wonderful, I was amazed by the wealth of knowledge and information that each and everyone of u had to say and contribute in here. was eager to come and visit this site everyday to find new information. but if u seen the last few days, the exchange/banter that has been happening between a few of u, sometimes has been bordering on a little annoying. for an onlooker/bystander. maybe it is just me who felt that way or there could be other members in the forum who felt that. one thing i have noticed is that it seems to be the same few people who have been posting messages lately.each one trying to quote something to one up the other one, or accusing/accused of "taking sides" and "ganging up".

I am not saying that there shouldnt be this exchange happening between people. I do agree with u Mr.KRS that without a discussion there is never a solution. argue, discuss these are just different semantics. i for one believe that u cant have a discussion without an argument. one has to argue in what they believe. argue here i refer to as non-confrontional. one has to argue in what they believe and then discuss the merits and de-merits of each others argument to get at solutions.

if u look at a few postings, they have all end up with someone apologizing for what they said or the whole thread gets side tracked, like what we are doing now. instead of talking about unity, we are talking about is it arguement or discussion.

the computer world is very impersonal. do we really know what one is actually feeling. i would be cursing like a sailor about u while i am typing this reply(dont worry, i am not, just have a big smile on my face). saying apologies or putting a smiley face after a reply or saying that what u said was a joke or in jest or even prephasing any replies with "in discussing" do we really say what we want to and feel like saying?

I feel very queasy to write this reply. it is not meant to be malicious or disrespectful. I have seen u mention MR.KRS that u have been in the states for about 32 yrs or so, that is close to being my lifetime. so I assume u are much older than me and I dont like to be saying stuff like this to someone older to me. so goes to the other members, like Mr's. MM, N, Appaiah, Saab and the rest. (for all we know these gusy could be just high schoolers.) some of the back and forth between some members, you could have fooled me, felt like that they were genuinely at odds and at each others throat(ala shakthivel thevar and maya thevar, borrowing a cheap movie comparision)

that brought me to think, do I really know anyone of these people. the forum i feel lacks a personal touch. maybe if i knew how and what kinda interaction some of these members have between them, that kinda thought wouldnt come across your mind when u read their postings. maybe it is time to start a new thread where everyone says a few lines about who they are, where they are and stuff like that. to get to know one another better. maybe will lead to unity. Administrator u could arrange for something like and maybe that is the first thread that someone new who is registering will be led into so they have to say something personal about them.

Mr.KRS hope i made myself clear. it doesnt matter if it is arguments/discussion a lot of people like me are benefitting with the wealth of knowledge and discourses that happen here. I was and am ignorant of a lot of these vedas, shasthras and smritis.not that I was around it while growing up, but my eyes and ears werent open to it and maybe I think i have reached a point in my life that I feel that I should know more about who I really am. helps to educate me. my whole intention in the quest for knowledge and truth can be summed by the tamil saying "KANNU PONNAPPRAM SURYA NAMASKARAM". I dont want to be in that situation.

Dear anandr91 Ji,

I inderstand where you are coming from now. It seems to me, reading your lengthy posting above, you are not comfortable with discussions that do not seem to contribute to the general Bonhomie in the Forum. But at the expense of repeating myself, let me say that such discussions covering the details are necessary, especially because we are all anonymous and don't know other's true personna.

It took me repeated postings on my part to establish that I am not a 'pseudo-secularist', for example. And thiese discussions have been going on for a while, going back to last year. Because we do not know each other, it is easy to 'label' someone with a broad stroke and to convey my positions clearly, I have to communicate to the Forum members that I am not a 'label', in this instance a 'pseudo-secularist'. But I can not convey that effectively unless I respond to any small indication on other's part to stick such a label on to me. Now, this is just an example to illustrate, why sometimes discussions carry forward in a fashion that you may find as 'one upping' or 'ganging up'.

Believe me, the discussions we are having today, while spirited, are much better in terms of tone and civility. Last year we were calling each other names and we have advanced from that just by dialog.

I am hoping that this makes you understand. There is no reason to be emotionally upset at any idea espoused, because our religion always allowed any idea to be considered on it's merits. And we are fortunate to have some folks here in the Forum who are highly knowleadgeable and educated in our culture as well as other worldly affairs. So, when high quality people are involved, high quality discussions follow. And this is the rule and not an exception in this Forum (perhaps with one exception!)

Well, I have been in the US for almost the past 38 years, but then who is counting? I was like you, oblivious of our culture and religion till late in to my life. But by some strange coincidences, for the past twenty years, I have been shown a way to start to understand the meaning of the eternal question, 'who am I?', both psychologically and spiritually.

Please do not be shy to impose yourself and express your ideas ib between any discussions here. This way you will not feel like a bystander and at the same time contribute.

I do not stand on ceremony regarding old age. Yes, I know our culture but for discussions and discourse, it is better to do them on 'equal' terms. But, thank you for your consideration regarding the 'seniority'.

Pranams,
KRS

Latest news about non-brahmin temple priest

Dear all
The following information was released in Tamil Nadu state assembly by DMK Govt.

There are total 6 centers started by TN Govt. for priestly training for non-brahmins in Tamil Nadu.

On total, there are 207

76- Backward class students

55- Most Backward class students

34 - Scheduled caste students

42 - other caste students.

I consider this as epitome of humiliation. If Tamil Brahmins have any back bone, they should move to other states or stop paying taxes to TN Govt. This is time to protest.

I appreciate all the messages and at the same time we should consider the views of some coservationists also.Because conservativeness is our streangth.We sould unite under one umbrella when it rains but can't we not stand loose after rain but transacting with eath other.We should gather streangth but not at the cost of our tradition.

Dear all
The following information was released in Tamil Nadu state assembly by DMK Govt.

There are total 6 centers started by TN Govt. for priestly training for non-brahmins in Tamil Nadu.

On total, there are 207

76- Backward class students

55- Most Backward class students

34 - Scheduled caste students

42 - other caste students.

I consider this as epitome of humiliation. If Tamil Brahmins have any back bone, they should move to other states or stop paying taxes to TN Govt. This is time to protest.

vanam,

on the contrary, i think as a community, we should welcome this. i do not know why you consider this humiliation. let me give you my more than one reason, why this is good for our religion

- because it is the right thing to support this broadening of our hindu priest base
- the days of heridatary vocations are gone. a latrine cleaner's son wants to be a doctor; a priest's son may want to be something else than follow his father
- before God all of us are equal - and priests should be the same too
- these guys who came of their own voliation for priestdom, are INTERESTED in the profession. to them it is a vocation and i am quite sure that they will abide by the rules of priesthood which has already been vetted
- we will eventually not see half trained priests, or priests escaping to vaideeham because of failure in secular jobs
- righting a wrong which has been a blemish since the days of manu

i am eager to have an archanai by a non brahmin tamil priest, hopefully in kapali temple during one of my visits to india in the future, God Willing.

thank you for the info, and i am disappointed that you consider this a 'humiliation'.

Dear Kunjuppu, Why non brahmin priests We have lots of non belivers as temple authorities and officers in all our temples your dream is comming true and one day you will worship in Kapaliswarar temple without IDOLS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back