• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Donald Trump's Presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe What Trump has done and is doing are all to a carefully worked out plan. The bluntness of expression of intentions, the severity of the language used, the targets of actions chosen, the readiness to go the full distance come what may, the quickness with which steps are taken are all indicative of a deleberate well planned action. I support him. Just as we need Modi for India, we need Trump for the free world.
You guy's can worry about Modi and we will handle Trump.
I do not comment on what Modi is doing in India but I do care as an OCI.
But I cannot do anything about it because OCI does not given me dual citizenship to involve in Indian politics.
They just want our $$ when we visit India that'a all.

An interesting statistics was reported by Fareed Zakaria in an opinion piece written for Washington Post today.

"At this point, one could note that, if we are to listen to America, almost 3 million more Americans voted for Hillary Clinton than for Trump (who received a share of the popular vote that was lower than Mitt Romney’s, in fact lower than the share received by most of the losers of recent presidential elections). And as for which of these groups makes America great, I’m not sure what criteria to use, but if it is generating wealth and contributing to gross domestic product, it’s not even close. According to the Brookings Institution, the 500 counties won by Clinton produced 64 percent of U.S. economic output, while the 2,600 counties won by Trump produced just 36 percent of GDP. Use any economic measure — employment, start-ups, innovation — and the areas that score highest voted heavily against Trump.

The much-maligned urban elites may be out of touch with the rest of the country, but they still pay its bills. A few years ago, the Economist compared how much each American state contributed to the federal coffers against the funds they received from Washington. The basic pattern is simple: It is blue states, which voted against Trump in 2016, that fund the red states that voted for him. From 1990 to 2009, Clinton states collectively paid $2.4 trillion more in federal taxes than they received in federal spending, while Trump states altogether received $1.3 trillion more than they paid"

Every country goes through its ups and downs. It elects people whose power is attained by the principles they hold such as PM Modi.
Then there are times a person leverages deep divisions and narrow minded thinking to propel themselves to power. President Trump stoked the fear of racists (who are afraid that majority of America would have 'browned' by 2050) , those who hate Islam and by creating an alternative reality not aligned with facts to propel himself to power through a narrow margin in the Electoral College. He may end up doing some good to America but it will be at the expense of someone else or some other nations. Some of the Hindus who despise Islam may see a friend in Trump but he has his own agenda (and could not care less about India).

There is genuine fear that someone with the power of nuclear code should be of sound mind. There are republicans and democrats crafting legislation to ensure that an elected President of sane mind in the future.

Having said all these, let us hope there is world peace for the next four years

But, innocent US citizens on domestic flights who 'look a certain way' can't be targets because then everyone is a target," Mythili Sampathkumar, a New York-based writer who detailed her father's detention in Washington DC, wrote on Twitter.

She said she was making the incident public "also for Indian-Americans who voted for Trump...because we knew this would happen and you still voted for him bec you (Hindus mostly) thought, well we're not Muslims or Mexicans. That means nothing — we're in this together."

While such incidents appear to be sporadic, the anxiety among people of Indian-origin was heightened following an initial advisory attributed to Madan and Saigal that was distributed widely on social media before it was later tempered. The memo advised all travellers to scrub their travel plans and also scrub their phones if they could not avoid travel because the Customs and Border Patrol was asking to review social media accounts.

The memo also provided guidance to citizens and green card holders of Indian origin on how to handle questioning by immigration officials. "Currently CBP's position is that GC holder is NOT entitled to admission to the US on each entry — it will be a case by case determination. This is probably going to lead to more restrictive admissions," the memo warned, while advising, "If asked your opinion about Trump or love of country — be creative in your positive responses.

"Thus, our recommendation is to STOP ALL AIR TRAVEL. The next 6 months or longer are going to be extremely rocky for everyone who is 'brown' irrespective of country of nationality /religion/ethnicity," the memo said. The firm's partner Neal Madan did not deny the advisory came from their office but said that "There has been so much material out there amended, changed and taken out of context etc. from so many lawyers that no one can verify anything."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ian-travellers-tense/articleshow/56963923.cms

Last edited:
Twenty-three-year-old Noor Isani (name changed) has found her best laid plans coming unstuck in the last few days. Just when she was all set to apply to an American university for business, US President Donald Trump came up with his executive order banning entry of citizens from several Muslim nations.

Though the order and proposed crackdown on H1B visas do not directly touch Indian students, the changed environment in the US under the new dispensation has left her confused. "The US still remains my first option but I have been advised by my overseas counsellor to consider other countries like Canada,'' Noor says. Eduabroad Consulting's Pratibha Jain says there is panic among students planning to travel overseas and even more among those studying in the US. "Those studying have already invested and are now suddenly unsure of the job scenario. For those who are still in India, we are advising them to look at Australia and Europe for further studies, but employment opportunities everywhere are very limited. We feel it may better for them to continue working in India and wait it out for six months,'' she says.

Rajiv Ganjoo of White-Glow Consulting, another overseas education consultant, says the new rules have created uncertainty and could affect the choices students make. "I think a good number of students will start looking at other countries. Schools in Asia-Pacific and Canada couldbenefit,'' he says.

Recent data from UK's Higher Education Statistics Agency show a decline in the number of Indian students to the UK by 44% —from 24,030 in 2011-12 to 14,400 in 2015-16. In sharp contrast, the number of Indian students in the US rose 25% to almost 1.7 lakh in 2015-16, the third year of rising numbers, following three years of decline. India is the second leading country of origin for students coming to the US, comprising 15.9% of the total number of international students in the country. And while the Open Doors report, 2016 paints an optimistic picture, Trump's recent statements and actions have left Indians immigrating for employment or studies wary.

Carnegie Mellon University's College of Engineering distinguished fellow Vivek Wadhwa says the recent policy changes will hit Indians looking to immigrate to the US and UK. "Amongst H1B workers, there surely is panic and this is justified because of the anti-immigrant views of the new administration.

Things will get much worse here for all immigrants before they get better. Foreign students are also worried that they may not even be able to join optional practical training programmes after they graduate. Again, they have reason to worry,'' he says.

Countries like Canada, Australia and New Zealand stand to benefit from these changes. Already the number of students going to Canada has soared 78% from 27,304 in 2011to 48,588 in 2015 while permanent migrants to the country have seen a 44% rise from 27,488 in 2011to 39,530 in 2015.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/donald-trump-diktat-forces-indian-students-to-look-for-options/articleshow/56962795.cms

Mostly who hold flames become a candle.

Burn themselves to illuminate others but become a shapless mass of wax after that...

I forsee a great Airlift taking place in the future for those who have no loyalty to country of origin nor country of residence.

Do not ask what Trump has done for you..ask what have you can do for Trump!!!LOL

I dont think majority of immigrants including Indians work in the USA to make USA great..majority work there for USA to make their bank balance great.

Many might be secretly rejoicing about the ban on several Islamic countries in regards to travel/ immigration to USA...god knows which other countries are next on the list.
Well said Doctor,
Most of the people migrate to US not out of love and affection of improving the economic condition of that country. People migrate to US when they have no future in their mother land. But want to retain their separate identity. Take for instance even after living there two generations migrants from India, they want to call themselves PIO. We do not call migrants from other countries in India by such names.

Well, even in India, our own governments provide reservation separated by regional language and caste identity. We have accepted these inequalities without any compunction or guilt.
I wish the critics of Trump think a little before jumping into conclusion.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Students, cpt/opt holders read this:

The bottom line:

It is a proposed bill, there are 10 such proposed bills every month for H1B, hardly any of them get passed in the senate.

The proposed bill is not an executive action like the 7 countries ban which will take immediate effect.It is rather a proposal and 3 different committees have to approve the bill before it goes to President Trump.

Even after the bill is approved by senate the president can still discard the bill if he thinks necessary.

These are worth keeping in mind:

1. Bill introduced is not bill passed and ready to be implemented. There are other steps to be completed.

2.Do not believe or read the contents of the bill from doubtful sources. Only read it from congress.gov website. Link to the bill is http://sumoni.com/s/congressh1b

3. The bill when first introduced on 03 Jan to increase the salary from 60k to 100k was not cleared by senate.

4.The updated bill was reintroduced. Like the previous bill there is 99 % chance as predicted by govtrack.us that the bill will be rejected again.

5.This is not an executive order. It could take a year to bring this into reality.

6.There is no mention of OPT in this. So students have nothing to worry.

7. We had had many such bills in the past and all unreasonable bills were rejected by the first committee without reaching even the senate.

8.Take a look at this govtrack.us which keeps track of possibility of bill getting introduced

Also keep visiting these links --> https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr5801 and http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr170 for knowing the course the bills are taking.

It is not yet time to write off your dreams of acquiring a Ivy League certificate. LOL.

Last edited:
Can courts be overruled in US by President?

Trump vows to 'overturn ridiculous court order' halting travel ban

February 04, 2017 19:24

United States President Donald Trump has termed as 'ridiculous' the order of a federal judge in Seattle bringing his executive order on immigration to a halt.

'Interesting that certain Middle-Eastern countries agree with the ban. They know if certain people are allowed in it's death & destruction! (sic),' Trump said in a tweet.

'The opinion of this so-called judge, which essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country, is ridiculous and will be overturned! (sic)' he said in another tweet.

US District Judge James Robart in Seattle had on Friday ruled that the states had the standing to challenge Trump's order, which government lawyers disputed, and said they showed their case was likely to succeed.

Trump's order last week sparked protests nationwide and confusion at airports as some travellers were detained. The White House has argued that it will make the country safer.

http://news.rediff.com/commentary/2...g-travel-ban/8145b379dc8d9c01010484b5afad31ea

Well said Doctor,
Most of the people migrate to US not out of love and affection of improving the economic condition of that country. People migrate to US when they have no future in their mother land. But want to retain their separate identity. Take for instance even after living there two generations migrants from India, they want to call themselves PIO. We do not call migrants from other countries in India by such names.

Well, even in India, our own governments provide reservation separated by regional language and caste identity. We have accepted these inequalities without any compunction or guilt.
I wish the critics of Trump think a little before jumping into conclusion.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.
PIO or OCI is the type status that Indian Govt has chosen to issue to us. That only gives us the privilege to go in and out of India without having to reapply for Visa periodically. OCI gave me a lifetime visa so I can freely travel to India at short notice if needed.
I do not have any citizenship right to vote there. I am however, allowed to acquire/own property and do business in India with some freedom.
No, we did not come to US to escape anything in India. I had a respectable job and wanted to pursue higher studies in the US that's all. Yes, opportunities were better in the US about 30-40 yrs ago compared to the then India. Now India is equally well developed technologically and economically. Until Trump came along to sow confusion and chaos everything was going fine. Now the whole world is razor focused on American politics. Every move that Trump makes seems to shake up some part of the World or the other. Indians can rejoice that they are not left alone either. Yes the visa restrictions that he is planning will affect Indians wishing to come to the US.
A lot of elder parents have also move to US to be with their children and have gotten green cards or even citizenships by now.
I don't think there is going to be any mass efflux to go back to India.
We did not come here to make America Great. it just became Great because we came here and chose to make money here.

Last edited:
We did not come here to make America Great. it just became Great because we came here and chose to make money here.

I like that sentence very much.

NO ONE I repeat NO ONE moves to make that new place great. We move and make that place greater or better. We always move to greener pasture, it would be lie to say that anyone moved to a place to make it great.

If you move to make that new place great people would be moving to Somalia, I do not see that happening any time soon.

Last edited:
Can courts be overruled in US by President?

Trump vows to 'overturn ridiculous court order' halting travel ban

February 04, 2017 19:24

United States President Donald Trump has termed as 'ridiculous' the order of a federal judge in Seattle bringing his executive order on immigration to a halt.

'Interesting that certain Middle-Eastern countries agree with the ban. They know if certain people are allowed in it's death & destruction! (sic),' Trump said in a tweet.

'The opinion of this so-called judge, which essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country, is ridiculous and will be overturned! (sic)' he said in another tweet.

US District Judge James Robart in Seattle had on Friday ruled that the states had the standing to challenge Trump's order, which government lawyers disputed, and said they showed their case was likely to succeed.

Trump's order last week sparked protests nationwide and confusion at airports as some travellers were detained. The White House has argued that it will make the country safer.

http://news.rediff.com/commentary/2...g-travel-ban/8145b379dc8d9c01010484b5afad31ea

As people may already know, the legislative, executive and judiciary are all equal branches of the US Government.

A President cannot simply repeal a court order. The reason the Attorney General of the State of Washington was able to get this so called Immigration Ban lifted is because he was able to make the case to a Federal Judge that provisions within the Presidential executive order violated protections of the US constitution.

Though in another lawsuit (and right now Trump has over 75 lawsuits at the last count) a Federal judge at MA did not find the Immigration ban to violate the Constitution, it was enough that one judge in Seattle did so. That stopped the ban for now.

The US Justice department of Trump administration will of course appeal (the acting Attorney General for Trump admin was fired by Trump earlier since she was trying to point out issues with the executive order). The case will go to appeals and then to US Supreme Court.

This is an execution fiasco since the order itself was never vetted properly and was probably written by Bannon and Miller (political advisers with vast powers).

My own take is that this whole ban is a distraction to reverse many of the Obama Executive orders. Here are a few

1. Gun can now be sold to mentally handicapped (thanks to the gun lobby - the previous order by Obama was reversed by Trump)

2. Mining companies can now dump toxic waste in streams - prior order prohibiting this by Obama is now nullified

3. Pastors can now endorse political candidate from their bully pulpit (appease the Christian evangelical lobby)

4. Oil companies do not have to declare which country gave them what money (which dictator gave what bribes) - the transparency provisions put in by Obama are stuck down (thanks to the Oil company lobby)

5. Financial companies are required to tell their clients if they are Fiduciaries meaning that they are investing the client's retirement money etc with the interest of the client. That provision to disclose is struck down

Most of the educated classes are disapproving Trump to the tune of 60 to 70% while the uneducated whites support him in large number (60 to 70%)

The immigration ban order was botched up having been rolled out without much thought or consultation.
It is affecting real people - one child who survived the blast in Iraq (a Kurdish family) was going to be operated in USA. The father dropped the child with a volunteer's family and went back to Iraq since his wife was delivering their second child and then named him Trump. The father was coming back to USA to attend to this massive surgery of the first child and was not allowed to travel.

The surgery date cannot wait and the couple do not know if they will see their child again.

This kind of sweeping ban says that the order cannot distinguish between a real threat of a terrorist and real situations of ordinary people. Hence people in large number, who think the entire order is unAmerican, are spontaneously protesting in major airports.

I am amazed that some people are unable to see difference between 'leadership styles' of PM Modi and President Trump. It must be due to their hate for Islam that clouds their judgement

PIO or OCI is the type status that Indian Govt has chosen to issue to us. That only gives us the privilege to go in and out of India without having to reapply for Visa periodically. OCI gave me a lifetime visa so I can freely travel to India at short notice if needed.
I do not have any citizenship right to vote there. I am however, allowed to acquire/own property and do business in India with some freedom.
No, we did not come to US to escape anything in India. I had a respectable job and wanted to pursue higher studies in the US that's all. Yes, opportunities were better in the US about 30-40 yrs ago compared to the then India. Now India is equally well developed technologically and economically. Until Trump came along to sow confusion and chaos everything was going fine. Now the whole world is razor focused on American politics. Every move that Trump makes seems to shake up some part of the World or the other. Indians can rejoice that they are not left alone either. Yes the visa restrictions that he is planning will affect Indians wishing to come to the US.
A lot of elder parents have also move to US to be with their children and have gotten green cards or even citizenships by now.

hi

i agreed...i served indian Army....stiil i was not cosidered as respected civilan life in india...we can't survive

without bribe for everything/everywhere in govt offices...as common man...i am happy as US citizen...even my hindu religion

well protected in USA...i can say proudly say IN GOD WE TRUST IN USA...may not be possible in india...

Last edited:
hi

... in india...we can't survive

without bribe for everything/everywhere in govt offices......
IN GOD WE TRUST IN USA...may not be possible in india...
I used to work as an engineer in the Defence Dept. fresh out of IITM and your first statement was what forced me to leave and move to US.
As for your second statement USA is the only country that has that statement about GOD in it currency.
In India everybody believes in GOD but no one trusts HIM. India is a secular country with its constitution absolutely distancing religion and politics just like American constitution
However, India is definitely divided along religious and cast boundaries even to this day!
USA has a very clear preference for the Christian religion much like India has for Hindus.
But at the working level here in the US religion does not interfere.
Trump is planning to change all that and that is the mentality what he is appealing to right now - divide people along religious and social differences.

I think we are moving away from the OP of the thread.:focus:
There is no comparison of life in India and USA.
If we want to discuss that there should be a separate thread.
But it will be a contentious issue.

Last edited:
Appeals court has rejected Trump Government's plea to reinstate the ban but has asked for more information from both sides. In the mean time the 2 year old toddler (Kurdish) who is a severe burn victim from a bomb blast, about to undergo surgery in USA and is separated from his parents.

Though the travel ban is lifted, the father of the toddler was unable to get his visa in Iraq. Many embassies still do not know how to read the Judge's ruling.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/03/health/iraqi-refugee-dilbireen-profile/index.html

Last edited:
C33JlPVVYAAYMEf.jpg

Last edited:
Denied - Trump loses at the appeals court

Defiant President Trump tweets
"SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!"

So the case will go to Supreme court or ask for a 11 judge panel at the 9th circuit Appeals court

The three judge panel voted unanimously against the travel ban fully and completely that the ban the way the order as written is not constitutional

President Trump can still win by modifying the order and reinstate a more considered ban rather than fight the existing order

================================================================
source:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/09/politics/travel-ban-9th-circuit-ruling/index.html

President Donald Trump's travel ban will remain blocked, a federal appeals court ruled Thursday.

The unanimous ruling from a three-judge panel means that citizens of seven majority-Muslim countries will continue to be able to travel to the US, despite Trump's executive order last month.

"On the one hand, the public has a powerful interest in national security and in the ability of an elected president to enact policies," the judges wrote. "And on the other, the public also has an interest in free flow of travel, in avoiding separation of families, and in freedom from discrimination. We need not characterize the public interest more definitely than this... The emergency motion for a stay pending appeal is denied."

It is a significant political setback to Trump's new administration and raises questions about how the courts will view his apparent vision for an expansive use of executive power from the Oval Office on which he is anchoring the early weeks of his presidency.
Trump immediately tweeted his reaction to the ruling: "SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!"
SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 9, 2017

The Justice Department is reviewing the decision, it said in a statement.
The order bars citizens of Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen from entering the US for 90 days, all refugees for 120 days and indefinitely halts refugees from Syria.

Trump issued the travel ban January 27, causing chaos, confusion and protests at international airports as the legal status of people in transition was suddenly thrown into question. Lawsuits have been filed across the country, but it was one from federal Judge James Robart in Seattle last Friday that blocked the travel ban nationwide, clearing the way for resumed travel from the seven countries.

The legal drama over the immigration executive order was the first episode in what could be a series of legal challenges to Trump's governing style and agenda and represents the first confrontation between his White House and the checks and balances of the American political system.

"The Trump administration has lost dramatically and completely, and they're going to have to decide what to do next," said Jeffery Toobin, a CNN political analyst, on "The Situation Room." "This decision will have a lot more public credibility because it is unanimous, and I think it complicates the Trump administration's attempt, if they choose to make it, to disparage this decision as a political act."
Trump has already indicated that he would take the case all the way to the Supreme Court if necessary, a move that would set up a legal showdown of even higher stakes and visibility.

This story is breaking and will be updated.

Regardless of how the entire story of this ban works out at the supreme court, one has to appreciate that this is functioning of democracy at its finest.

Also many people went to demonstrate at airports etc though they have no personal relationship with anyone from the 7 countries that were listed in the ban.

The courts had worked round the clock to render the judgement.

Regardless of how the entire story of this ban works out at the supreme court, one has to appreciate that this is functioning of democracy at its finest.

Also many people went to demonstrate at airports etc though they have no personal relationship with anyone from the 7 countries that were listed in the ban.

The courts had worked round the clock to render the judgement.
Actually it is the fight of democracy against the slow creeping of Oligarchy and finally Autocracy/Trumpocracy. I think we should eradicate this cancer right away at its inception! No matter what he tries to call it and reinstate it in any different way it will still be called "Trump's Muslim Ban" just like he keeps calling the broadminded and humanitarian Affordable Care Act as Obamacare.

Last edited:
USD 200 Billion for Mexico wall..Huge money..May be viewed as small sum by Trump!

[h=1]Trump's border wall with Mexico will cost US Rs 1.4 lakh crore[/h]February 10, 2017 08:54

President Donald Trump's "wall" along the US-Mexico border would be a series of fences and walls that would cost as much as $21.6 billion (Rs 1.4 lakh crore), and take more than three years to construct, based on a US Department of Homeland Security internal report accessed by Reuters.

The report's estimated price-tag is much higher than a $12 billion (over Rs 80,000 crore) figure cited by Trump in his campaign and estimates as high as $15 billion (Rs 1 lakh crore) from Republican House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

The report is expected to be presented to Department of Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly in the coming days, although the administration will not necessarily take actions it recommends.

The plan lays out what it would take to seal the border in three phases of construction of fences and walls covering just over 1,250 miles (2,000 km) by the end of 2020. With 1,046 km of the border already fortified, the new construction would extend almost the length of the entire border.

http://news.rediff.com/commentary/2...4-lakh-crore/377eba32c37c7a2110fb3fb9b89a344f

I met a few Indian folks working in US from Georgia state that is currently Republican though traditionally Democratic...There is a big movement going on in US against the Republicans who voted for Trump..If you announce in public that you are a supporter of GOP there is a good chance of you being thrashed..Not sure if it is an exaggeration or reality..Pretty scary!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back