• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Did your foreign living enable you to get more broad-minded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning fellas… fine morning aint it !!. Sun rises always on the west & it shines brighter than anywhere. LOL !

Broad minded means giving up our family, parents, relatives, religion, culture, traditions & rituals. And it doesn’t stop here, kids brought up under Govt care, single parenting, drugs, sex, uncontrolled drinking, chain smoking weeds, affairs, sex partners, STDs, AIDS/HIV, depression, mental cases etc… are all part of the broad minded lifestyle..

In the west, anything & everything goes. They have no religious moorings, they have no interest, they just want to have a good life… marriages, divorces, extra marital affairs, incest affairs, everything is fine.. only thing in their mind is sex – 24x7, every TV show is about sex, most become psychos by the time they reach their 50s, 60s, etc…, LOL !!

Wow, what a shock… some of the Indians in India are refusing to learn from the great west & refusing to be become psychos… LOL !!. Indians in India are frogs in the well, & are supposed to be bigger racist than the whites. How can some people in this forum raise such issues ???, the entire world is enamored about the Caucasian crap ???? LOL !!

Whites are so so good, it is a land of milk & honey – oh la la la…. Most of them treat everyone so graciously, they never utter any bad words..

Our PIOs are treated as Gods by these whites, & they get up every day morn, dance, tweet to those in India, what a great life they have & heaven they are in … ah, some minor issues exist, I mean where does it not exist. Making fun of president and all is okay, maybe 2 in 10 that too - may be bad – don’t read too much la…

Come on folks, Obama is passing an immigration Bull, Lets all pack our bags now & become broad minded psychos by going to the great “la la la la land la…” LOL !!!

LOL !!

dear JK,

Good morning..the sun never rises nor sets!

BTW I feel its "unfair" you keep crying "sour grapes" after you had your stint in the USA.

You were the same one who once told in forum that TBs do not need India ...they can have one leg in US for money and one leg in India to stabilize them.

So you had your USA dreams...you too had hopes like anyone else.US that you are now singing a Racism tune...as if you did not know before that their values are different from eastern values..but your plane still flew there. God knows what happened in US that now you are crying racism!LOL

Then I know you will tell me that "Yes Yes..I did not know USA will be so bad..my pilot did not tell me when I boarded the flight..O' God only now I know..so I am warning everyone of the USA"

Sama reel yaar!

I feel let everyone chose the life they want.

If USA did not work out well for you it does not mean that it wont work out well for others.

So I feel you cant make everyone sing your song which ever raga it is..but for now all I can sense is you are singing this..that you made a mistake and made wrong judgments and now want to Bhag Bhag(Run Run) from the USA and want everyone to run with you!LOL

oh by god lag gayi
Kya se kya hua
Dekha toh katora
Jhaanka toh kuaa

Piddi jaissa chuhaa
Dum pakda toh nikla kala naag
Naag naag
Bhaag...Bhaag!>>>

Oh by god, I was damned,
became what from what I was (so bad from so good)
looked like a bowl,
when peeked into, a well..

A tiny little mouse,
when caught the tail, turned out to be a black snake,
snake snake...
run run,

Last edited:
For the record I have never stayed in any foreigncountry, so I did not go the great USA, make my money, come back & then cryinghoarse now..

have travelled to many countries, met many PIOs, haveheard their first hand accounts about racism. Many of us have heard it in thepast, but only know we know it is widespread..

I have never supported the western broad minded way oflife – LOL. my very limited comment wasthat most of us have 1 leg here in India & west that we don’t have to worryabout reverse discrimination of us Brahmins in India. So pl do not extra-polateto other areas.

There is nothing sour to gripe about, I am the first tosupport that the frog in the well is better than the so called broadminded frog…LOL !

Those who cannot counterargue on the merits of the post,will always attack the person who posts..

Be broadminded yaarr…

Renuka –

Pl read my earlier post on this subject in Sep. The reasonI posted this was the hue & cry that happened after the ferguson riots,& I read so many of such incidents in USA.

After hearing so many opinions from the PIOs & somewhom I know, I raised this thread saying – why so many Indians face racism& still live with it ???

Racism in the west - why so many Indians,

As I said in this thread, opinions change after one hears& understand the gory racism that happens on a daily basis in the west.

On this specific issue, I fully support Gandhi who madeit such a big issue, it became a national movement. And had I been settled in the USA & facedsuch an issue, you can be rest assured, I would have dragged everyone to thecourt & probably won a few 100 millions… LOL !!

So, if PIOs still continue to live as though everythingis great, then they are in delusion…

As for me, I will continue to raise this issue, so thatthe young kids from India do not fall into this mess by immigrating to the west!!

LOL !!

For the record I have never stayed in any foreigncountry, so I did not go the great USA, make my money, come back & then cryinghoarse now..

have travelled to many countries, met many PIOs, haveheard their first hand accounts about racism. Many of us have heard it in thepast, but only know we know it is widespread..

I have never supported the western broad minded way oflife – LOL. my very limited comment wasthat most of us have 1 leg here in India & west that we don’t have to worryabout reverse discrimination of us Brahmins in India. So pl do not extra-polateto other areas.

There is nothing sour to gripe about, I am the first tosupport that the frog in the well is better than the so called broadminded frog…LOL !

Those who cannot counterargue on the merits of the post,will always attack the person who posts..

Be broadminded yaarr…

OMG! That means its all hear say! You do not have any first hand experience!LOL

Even Adi Shankara had first hand experience and inhabited the dead kings body to know about married life. But for you its all hear say from others.

No wonder you are very supportive of the Frog in the Well!

You are indeed that kūpa-maṇḍūka- ..no wonder you are writing a maṇḍūka upanishad based on the kūpa-maṇḍūka-nyāya.! LOL

Last edited:
Good morning fellas… fine morning aint it !!. Sun rises always on the west & it shines brighter than anywhere. LOL !

Broad minded means giving up our family, parents, relatives, religion, culture, traditions & rituals. And it doesn’t stop here, kids brought up under Govt care, single parenting, drugs, sex, uncontrolled drinking, chain smoking weeds, affairs, sex partners, STDs, AIDS/HIV, depression, mental cases etc… are all part of the broad minded lifestyle..

In the west, anything & everything goes. They have no religious moorings, they have no interest, they just want to have a good life… marriages, divorces, extra marital affairs, incest affairs, everything is fine.. only thing in their mind is sex – 24x7, every TV show is about sex, most become psychos by the time they reach their 50s, 60s, etc…, LOL !!

Wow, what a shock… some of the Indians in India are refusing to learn from the great west & refusing to be become psychos… LOL !!. Indians in India are frogs in the well, & are supposed to be bigger racist than the whites. How can some people in this forum raise such issues ???, the entire world is enamored about the Caucasian crap ???? LOL !!

Whites are so so good, it is a land of milk & honey – oh la la la…. Most of them treat everyone so graciously, they never utter any bad words..

Our PIOs are treated as Gods by these whites, & they get up every day morn, dance, tweet to those in India, what a great life they have & heaven they are in … ah, some minor issues exist, I mean where does it not exist. Making fun of president and all is okay, maybe 2 in 10 that too - may be bad – don’t read too much la…

Come on folks, Obama is passing an immigration Bull, Lets all pack our bags now & become broad minded psychos by going to the great “la la la la land la…” LOL !!!

LOL !!

Dear JayKay,

It is the same Westerners who you blame of for their addiction to sex, drugs, etc. who emerge out to be total humanitarians - going to poverty-stricken countries in Africa and rendering their medical help for free or minimal wages, even nurses and aid workers go there and help the poor of the great Africa. And many, many westerners have been to countries undergoing strifes and riots against their ruling govt. and are under great turbulence and offer medical and humanitarian help to those affected. I watch CNN and see so many of these stories, of these everyday Western heroes and heroines.

In your heart you have no place for such souls? Just the 20% racists let you color a bad image on that entire race?!

Ok, you made your choice then! Instead of watching a TV show that outright claims 'R' rated so kids can stay away, you get to watch 'General' audience TV shows and movies where Kaundamani and Senthil are standing on-guard outside ladies' toilet should they catch a 'glimpse'....! (Don't exactly remember the scene, it was some kinda vulgar comedy). I have made my choice - to me, the former is 100% more gentlemanly!

Last edited:
Dear JayKay,

It is the same Westerners who you blame of for their addiction to sex, drugs, etc. who emerge out to be total humanitarians - going to poverty-stricken countries in Africa and rendering their medical help for free or minimal wages, even nurses and aid workers go there and help the poor of the great Africa. And many, many westerners have been to countries undergoing strifes and riots against their ruling govt. and are under great turbulence and offer medical and humanitarian help to those affected. I watch CNN and see so many of these stories, of these everyday Western heroes and heroines.

In your heart you have no place for such souls? Just the 20% racists let you color a bad image on that entire race?!

Ok, you made your choice then! Instead of watching a TV show that outright claims 'R' rated so kids can stay away, you get to watch 'General' audience TV shows and movies where Kaundamani and Senthil are standing on-guard outside ladies' toilet should they catch a 'glimpse'....! (Don't exactly remember the scene, it was some kinda vulgar comedy). I have made my choice - to me, the former is 100% more gentlemanly!

LOL.

R or X rated are okay because the bodies involved are mostly white while Kaundamani and Senthil are just dark skinned. So the former is 100% more gentlemanly while the later is vulgar comedy.

LOL.

LOL.

R or X rated are okay because the bodies involved are mostly white while Kaundamani and Senthil are just dark skinned. So the former is 100% more gentlemanly while the later is vulgar comedy.

LOL.

No, no.... Vaagmi ji! I am saying mixing adult content in a 'family show' is more of our Indian movie trend (and is vulgar because of this reason) whereas presenting it claiming for what it is as such (labeling as 'R') is Western style and is tolerable, as one can avoid it from childrens' view!

India is great. Where one wants to live a purely spiritual life, India can give you the means. But, it is only for those 1% or so of the population to whom these facilities are needed. Is it necessary our children, and great-grand children are all spiritual like us? Not really necessary. For average lives that seek material success, and spirituality for soul's well-being to offer a soothing relief when calamity strikes us, living anywhere would do. If we say only we Indians are great in everyway, we are wrong. For if this is true, then India should have more of successful people than anywhere else on world. Whereas this is not so. We also have our fair share of misgivings and malpractices. The attempt of this thread is not show India in a negative light on all fronts, but to show some of our weaknesses where we can learn and improve from the West.

Renuka –

Yes, opinions are based on what we hear from others, readabout others. It need not be based on real life experience. So whats wrong ?

You buy things for eg, take a car, TV etc.. – it is allbased on what others say…

If news media, internet forums, social media etc.. talkabout rampant racism in USA, I will agree with that. I will not double guess, try& downplay it. PIOs have a reason to push the whole thing under the carpet,but I have no reason… lol

I will let the Kupa manduka sarcasm pass.... lol

Cheers,

Renuka –

Yes, opinions are based on what we hear from others, readabout others. It need not be based on real life experience. So whats wrong ?

You buy things for eg, take a car, TV etc.. – it is allbased on what others say…

If news media, internet forums, social media etc.. talkabout rampant racism in USA, I will agree with that. I will not double guess, try& downplay it. PIOs have a reason to push the whole thing under the carpet,but I have no reason… lol

I will let the Kupa manduka sarcasm pass.... lol

Cheers,

JR –

Lets say, your next door neighbor lady insults you, andtheir kids come & shower praise on your kids. Will your kids love your neighboror hate them ??

So while there will be some people who will do yeomanservice like working in Nigeria etc.., that does not mean, people shouldtolerate the racism…

I would suggest you to read the comments on the internetforums & the kind of language the whites use.. so these are the same peoplewho may be smiling at now & then spewing hatred online a few minutes later…

You are making assumptions based on your experience…. My analysisis based on multiple forums, social media, news media – cnn, cbs, etc…

And as far as family values, religiosity, spirituality,yes, we want our kids & grand kids to continue the tradition… why willanyone say… we don’t want our kids not to continue the tradition..

Once a person gets through the food, water, shelterphase, they turn to spirituality, religion etc… so that will not change in ourkids, grand kids, great grand kids generation etc…

Cheers,

JR –

The problem with settling abroad permanently areextremely long term. 2[SUP]nd [/SUP]& 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] generation kids willhave no knowledge of our country, mother tongue, religion, traditions, culture,etc.. & they will neither be whites nor Indians.

They will always be second class citizens in a foreigncountry, & will face identity crises all the time. In my view, none of the PIOs ever thought aboutall this when they went to west to settle down, & after a lot many years,they are stuck. They can neither stay nor come back.. and in years, they justpermanently settle down & time takes its own course.

So some of us Indians want to continue in the well calledIndia… & hope that our next gen continues some of the culture, traditions,etc.. if not everyone of them.

I mean, you wouldn’t like all the countries in the worldto migrate to the USA… & live in sky high apartments… LOL !! Isn’t it greatto know Japan & its great traditions, & go there, see them living theculture, traditions, etc…

So similarly, a lot of frogs live in wells like India, Japan,Cambodia, Indonesia, etc… & preserving the cultures like Kupa Mandukas…lol

Thanks, but no thanks, we don’t want to be broadminded,cosmopolitan, etc.. LOL… we really do not want to get into this mess…lol

Cheers,

JK, it is clear that very few people agree with you. Most TBs are migrating to the US in droves. And doing quite well here, if I may say, racism or no racism.

JR –

How did you arrive at the conclusion that India is greatif one wants to live a pure spiritual life, otherwise it is not ?

Do you think people here do not start businesses &make money ?

Do you think people here do not work in corporates &make money ?

Oh, you are still reading the American media portrayal ofIndians etc..

Cheers,

I know a TB lady here whose "Teenage Dream" was just to migrate to the US. She said she never thought of India as her own country because of the caste discrimination and harassment she faced (sounds a bit extreme I think). She has been here 20+ years now and is a US citizen. Obviously whatever discrimination she faces here (if any) is much less than what she faced in India.

Biswa –

Doesn’t matter… Ideas have a way of propagating itself..

Once Indians realize that they too can give up theirinferiority complex, & insult the so called great Caucasians, it willspread like wildfire & then this whole issue of racism will disappear..

I don’t see any large TB migration to USA… on thecontrary, it may be less than the other communities in India.. unless you havesome surveys…

Cheers,

I am reposting an old post:

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/6841-migrating-out-tamil-nadu.html#post87435Migration
is not new to Brahmin Community. Brahmins are always group of migrants since time immemorial. I think you are not correct in generalizing antipathy towards a community which happens sporadically. In all my life I have never experienced any hatred towards me for being a Brahmin from any other person belonging to other community or religion. I have many good friends of forty and fifty years standing from other communities. Born and bred up in Coimbatore, I have migrated to Bangalore 45 years ago. The success of migration is assimilation. We should not put a fence around us as a Community, instead we should mix freely, and understand and appreciate the good among others. We should learn this from Parsi community. Mutual respect will make us comfortable in any circumstances. I do not see me as an individual, but treat as a member of a Community where I live. I have lived abroad also and found that, If we shed the blinkers of Caste, Creed, Religion and Language we can see the goodness of others.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Excerpts from
http://www.newindpress.com/ sunday /colItems.asp?ID =SEG20030330072132
Columns by N S Jagannathan

Like the Jew to whom he is often compared, he is a great survivor. One of the earliest communities to have eagerly embraced the exhilarating new opportunities offered by English education in the early 19th century, the Tamil Brahmins had acquired a near monopoly of the much coveted Government employment of the times. This had naturally led to upper caste non-brahmin resentment, which effectively politicised itself in the first decades of the last century. When this self-consciousness captured political power and formed governments in the 1920s in the Madras Presidency, it pursued vigorously a policy of reservation that ended the Brahmin's earlier monopoly of government jobs. This was the signal for the great Tamil Brahmin Diaspora that still continues.

Denied opportunities at home, the Tamil Brahmin sought and found newer pastures in Bombay, Delhi and Calcutta. Caste-neutral professions such as accountancy and journalism became the alternatives. Still later, newer professional opportunities abroad, notably in the United States, became the magnet. And with the ascendancy in recent years of the new information technology where brainpower is more important than capital investment, this dispersal has become a flood. Almost every English-educated middle class Tamil Brahmin family has a younger member abroad.

Like much else in the world and in this country, the Tamil Brahmin profile is no doubt changing. The younger generations are conspicuously deracinated and some of the unique qualities of this community are getting blurred and homogenized with the rest of the world. Older generations still around are often disconcerted by the fact that the young Yuppies are losing their unique traits such as the love of their mother tongue and routine absorption of domestic pieties in an ambience of soft Hinduism.
IntelliBriefs: Tamil Brahmins: The best second-rate men in the world

Biswaji,
This article supports your POV.
Tamil Brahmins: Lost in Tamil Nadu.
by G. Venkatesh

Years ago, well-known Tamil actor and political satirist Mr Cho Ramaswamy had remarked tongue firmly in cheek – “Tamil Brahmins are people who fight with each other, degrade themselves and paint the entire community in shades of dark.” If you look at the events (in literary and movie circles in Tamil Nadu and the political climate), you will realise that Mr Ramaswamy was absolutely right then, he is right even now.

We talk about Kashmiri Pandits becoming strangers in Jammu and Kashmir. The Tamil Brahmins find themselves alienated in their own land. With more than 75% of the younger generation of Tamil Brahmins having moved to foreign land in pursuit of job / education and others scattered across different parts of India, it is an easy guess that population of Tamil Brahmins in Tamil Nadu is steadily waning. The increasing trend of inter-caste marriages is a further threat.
Tamil Brahmins: Lost in Tamil Nadu. by G. Venkatesh

Renuka –

Cheers,

What???

I have never bought anything based on hear say by others. What is good for others might not be good for me.

I buy a car or TV based on the price range and also based on my personal taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back