• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Case studies for mind development

Status
Not open for further replies.
When one says that one is sattvic, one thinks of only the positive attributes without thinking of the negatives. But ego can diminish the positives and make one look less evolved. Similarly when one says that someone is tamassic, he thinks of only the negative attributes but low ego and excess of positive tamassic attributes over that can make that person more evolved.

So how far ahead intellect is over the ego is a better indicator of how evolved a person is than the predominant guna of the person.

Dear Sravna...I sense a change in your overall outlook now.

You seem to see positivity in each situation and in everyone ..even negativity is being viewed in the positive light.

Interesting and admirable.

Dear Sravna...I sense a change in your overall outlook now.

You seem to see positivity in each situation and in everyone ..even negativity is being viewed in the positive light.

Interesting and admirable.

Thank you Renuka.

In my view a holistic understanding of everything is the best antidote to the flaws of the mind. In fact that is what spiritual energy does, connecting the individual pieces of information and offering a holistic view and this is carried out by the intellect. At the same time one needs to work on the ego which competes to see only the individual pieces of information.

Let us try to understand the dynamics of the mind by studying cases and see how possibly a person can view the situations.

Last edited:
Invariably there are many subtle factors that come into play when one acts or reacts. These factors are the important ones. One should understand such factors well when one reacts to a situation. Many times such factors are understood but people react in the wrong way displaying their own prejudices.

The factors that can subtly influence in a situation are: one's accomplishments or lack of them, one's perceived intelligence, one's perceived beauty, one's family background, one's caste , religion and nationality, one's past experiences are some of the factor that can subtly influence one's actions and reactions in a situation irrespective of what the situation is about.

The factors that can subtly influence in a situation are: one's accomplishments or lack of them, one's perceived intelligence, one's perceived beauty, one's family background, one's caste , religion and nationality, one's past experiences are some of the factor that can subtly influence one's actions and reactions in a situation irrespective of what the situation is about.

Not to mention the presence or absence of alcohol in blood stream!LOL

The way to mind development is to rise above these subtle factors and act and react to a situation in an objective manner.

But if these harmful factors are overcome, our nature becomes a positive force. Everyone's nature fundamentally is positive and it should be our endeavour to bring that positivity to the fore.

But if these harmful factors are overcome, our nature becomes a positive force. Everyone's nature fundamentally is positive and it should be our endeavour to bring that positivity to the fore.

Dear Sravna,

Just now I went to a nearby shop to get some stuff and there was this one old beggar smoking away but begging for money at the same time.

I didnt give him any money but on the way back to my premise he was still asking me for money.

Then I gave him some money...becos I admired his determination to have faced rejection from me the first time but still that did not deter him from asking me money again.

So as a Picchaikaran he was true to his Dharma...that is dont stop..never give up.

It also made me reflect on myself..that sometimes when I face rejection from those I seek some help...I never try seeking help from them again even though I might offer help if anyone needs it..so I thought today..may be "Picchaikaran" philosophy is actually helpful...that is even if a person rejects your plea for help the 1st time..no harm trying again.

I think we shy away from asking help again partly becos our ego is bruised.

But the Picchaikaran I saw today did not have an ego at all.

He had a real stylish way of smoking his cigarette even while begging.

Yes Renuka, there is nothing that warrants us to look down upon any person, least so by his wealth. The society gives so much importance to not so important factors and judges people based on those. We can be much more at peace if we rid ourselves of biased thinking.

Here is a theory that serves as a ready reckoner as to how a wise man would act or react given a situation.

In general people's actions and reactions may be categorized as unreasonable, reasonable and perfect

There are two major reasons why people act or react adversely. They are (i)They think that they may be physically hurt or their physical comforts may be taken away (ii) They think that they may be mentally hurt or their mental peace may be taken away. The above two reasons can be classified as reasonable actions or reactions. Also it is necessary to remember that people act or react adversely when any group they belong to is threatened.This is also a reasonable action or reaction.When people act or react adversely not for the above reasons but because they are inclined in that way, such actions and reactions are unreasonable.

A perfect reaction is that which rises above any action and one acts in a totally equable way in any situation.

The best way to counter a reasonable action is to assuage the person that nothing harmful is going to happen to him because of us. That is, one's wisdom should be used first to bring the situation under control. The next step if wisdom does not give the desired effect is to go down and use one's intelligence and try to bring the situation under control. If both do not work is when you retaliate in the same way using force. I am talking about mental force and assume that the adversary is also doing the same.

However at the slightest opportunity when the situation abates , one should resort back to wisdom again.

In the case of unreasonable actions, one has to do the reverse. Start with force and even deception but in the same spirit as Lord Krishna does in Mahabharat because you are pitted against a wall. If the situation abates raise the level to intelligence or wisdom.

The perfect reaction whether for a reasonable action or an unreasonable action is to rise above those actions and not be affected and that shows in your deeds and words.

Here's a consolidation of all the previous posts written by me in this thread:

The concept of mind as a real entity is based on spiritual knowledge. Let us first have some understanding of how a mind works and evolves from the point of view of spiritual knowledge.

Mind is a real entity and is part of the inner reality along with the soul. It is the soul that does the real learning and mind projected from it reflects the development of the soul and actions and reactions of the mind are in accordance with that development . When one is trying to develop one's mind it becomes a permanent feature only at the level of the soul where the soul holistically considers the experiences of the various births. The development is projected as part of natural features in the mind during the next birth. There can be exceptions when experiences deep enough to touch the soul can happen and increase the abilities of the mind during one’s current life.

There are actually two factors with respect to how a mind works, being nature and environment. In one's natural state, tendencies exist in a balanced way and so it is desirable to act in accordance with one's nature. It is the environment that disturbs the balance and makes one act and react in an undesirable way. It is when a guidance becomes useful so that it may help in coping with the pressures of the environment .

So, mind development is about maintaining one's nature and acting in a balanced way and optimally using one's potential in the current birth. To understand how to be in accordance with one’s nature, we have to understand the various functions of the mind.

The different functions of a mind are performed through intellect, ego, citta and lower mind. Citta is about the past, lower mind is about the present and these two pieces of info are used and acted upon by intellect and ego.

Intellect tries to see the connections in pieces of information while ego sees the pieces in isolation. Each grows when their function is performed satisfactorily and upon prevailing over the other. Ego grows first because it is easier to see isolated pieces of information. The experiences are stored as memories in the citta. Ego keeps growing till the memories begin to become hurtful. Then discrimination starts and connections are sought to be found by the So intellect. It is also possible for other ways of evolution, for example ego and intellect growing in tandem. How far ahead intellect is over the ego can be a good indicator of how evolved a person is.

Let us also try to have a mundane understanding of how a mind can evolve and see if we make use of both the spiritual and the mundane knowledge to have a good understanding of mind.

Mind is at work when we act or react. When one acts or reacts there are overt factors and subtle factors that determine the action or the reaction of the person. The subtle factors are the important ones when one has the objective of mind development. One should understand such factors well to overcome them.

The factors that can subtly influence in a situation are: one's accomplishments or lack of them, one's perceived intelligence, one's perceived beauty, one's family background, one's caste , religion and nationality, one's past experiences to name a few. These can subtly influence one's actions and reactions in a situation irrespective of what the situation is about.

People's actions and reactions may be categorized as unreasonable, reasonable and perfect. Many times people act or react adversely. There are two major reasons why people act or react adversely. They are (i) They think that they may be physically hurt or their physical comforts may be taken away (ii) They think that they may be mentally hurt or their mental peace may be taken away. Actions and reactions based on the above two reasons can be classified as reasonable actions or reactions. Also it is necessary to remember that people act or react adversely when any group they belong to is threatened.This is also a reasonable action or reaction.When people act or react adversely not for the above reasons but because they are inclined in that way, such actions and reactions are unreasonable. In general actions and reactions based on subtle factors are unreasonable.

A perfect reaction is that which rises above any action and one acts in a totally equable way in any situation.

The best way to counter a reasonable action being a force, is to use wisdom first in countering that action. The next step if wisdom does not give the desired effect is to use one's intelligence in one's reaction. Th major difference between using wisdom and intelligence is that in the former one is spontaneous and balanced where as in the latter one plans and executes the plan with lesser regard to being balanced. As a final resort, one can retaliate using mental force. However at the slightest opportunity when the situation abates , one should resort back to using wisdom again.

In the case of unreasonable actions, one has to do the reverse. Start with force and even deception but in the same spirit as Lord Krishna does in Mahabharat because you are pitted against a wall. If the situation abates raise the level to intelligence or wisdom.

The perfect reaction whether for a reasonable action or an unreasonable action is to transcend over those actions and not be affected. This shows in your words and deeds.

Last edited:
In general, the overt factors on which actions and reactions are based or purportedly based are the basis on which the intellect functions and the subtle factors on which actions and reactions are based are the basis on which the ego functions.

Sravna....there is too much neuronal activity on your side.

Sometimes the mind can go into over drive...shut it down from time to time.

Renuka,

My mind is the master. Let it decide

Then your body its its slave.

So give your body a rest.

Even the mind should not be the master....mind is a bundle of thoughts...its enslaving your neurons without you realizing it.

The mind is the worst master for it knows not when to stop and when to begin.

Didnt Adi Shankara sing Mano Buddhya
Ahankar Chitta Ni Naham..

Why was the entire Faculty of the Mind in his 1st line to deny identification with?

The mind has to DIE Sravna...Die Mind only then the brilliance of the Diamond called Atma is revealed.

So Sravna..REST!!!

Last edited:
Dear Renuka,

Mind over matter is a good thing and is the goal of any soul. It means the right things are happening. So nothing to worry.

One of the most difficult things to do is to be wise. How does one act or react in a balanced way under any situation? Some are naturally blessed with that ability while most of us need to learn to act in a wise way either based on our experiences or from guidance or from both.

It needs little ability to hurt others by mental force, needs some thinking and ability to hurt people in an intelligent way and needs the highest ability to not hurt people.

People need to know the way to react when others unleash mental force on them or hurt them mentally in other ways. I assume those who try to hurt you have reasonable fears to do that.

Now I will elaborate on what I said earlier. The first option being the most difficult one to effectively use is being wise in our reactions. There are two factors here. One is to see who is on the moral side and secondly think of the pragmatic constraints that are imposed on the other man for his actions.

It is easier to figure out who is morally correct or morally wrong. I assume you think you are morally correct, otherwise you are on a weaker ground. I will talk about the latter in a while. The much more difficult part is to overcome the pragmatic constraints to solve the problem. One scenario is the other man being a pragmatist and you being a conscientious one.

This scenario lends itself to an easy solution. You would be surprised how easily people get satisfied on minor things. If you could figure out a way to satisfy your opponent's ego or let yourself be not seen as adamant but flexible, many people would start to react favorably. So the formula is either satisfy his ego or be seen as sacrificing some of your ego. It is sometimes necessary to not show yourself as shrewd because many people want to show themselves as practical and shrewd and so this contrarian perception might help you. But it is necessary to not act this way always as people may be inclined to take you for a ride. A general projection of yourself as intelligent is required.

One of the most difficult things to do is to be wise. How does one act or react in a balanced way under any situation? Some are naturally blessed with that ability while most of us need to learn to act in a wise way either based on our experiences or from guidance or from both.

Usually conmen are the most balanced...they are very capable to handle all situations alike.

That is why I never trust a person who is balanced..they are usually fake.

A normal human being has emotions..actions and reactions.

Last edited:
Usually conman are the most balanced...they are very capable to handle all situations alike.

That is why I never trust a person who is balanced..they are usually fake.

A normal human being has emotions..actions and reactions.

Renuka,

Hold on. Let the discussion proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back