• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Can we sleep placing our Head in South Direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Namaskaram , I would like to know if

We Can we sleep placing our Head in South Direction.

Thanks,
Bala[/QUOTE

I quote the following lines from a Book of Moral codes of Sangam Era "Achara Kovai" on the
subject of Sleeping:

பெருவாயின் முள்ளியாரின்
ஆசாரக்கோவை
(கடைச்சங்க காலத்தை சேர்ந்த பதினெண்கீழ்க்கணக்கு
நூல்களில் ஒன்று ஆசாரக்கோவை)

30. உறங்கும் முறை
(இன்னிசைச் சிந்தியல் வெண்பா)
கிடக்குங்கால் கைகூப்பித் தெய்வம் தொழுது
வடக்கொடு கோணம் தலைசெய்யார் மீக்கோள்
உடற்கொடுத்துச் சேர்தல் வழி.

"கிடக்குங்கால் ...... வழி"
- படுக்கப் போகும்போது இறைவனைக் கைகூப்பி வணங்கி விட்டு வடக்கு,தெற்கு இரு திசைகளிலும் தலை வைக்காமல் வேறு பக்கம் தலைவைத்துப் படுத்து,போர்வையை போர்த்திக்கொண்டு பின் தூங்க வேண்டும்.
------------

My knowledge of Archaic Tamil is limited , I do not know whether "வடக்கொடு கோணம்" means " வடக்கு,தெற்கு இரு திசைகள் "

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

I remember the elders in our family telling when I was a child that only sleeping with head northwards is prohibited, because doing so will bring the wrath of Lord Yama on the perpetrator.

In fact, I also remember that only when a person actually dies, then the dead body used to be placed on the floor at home with head placed intentionally northwards. Before the dead body is carried away to the smashaanam all the household members prostrate to Lord Yama southwards, while prostration southwards is strictly banned on all auspicious occasions. Many of the kriyas associated with death, shraddham, tharpanam etc.involve activities usually the exact opposite of those which are to be done during auspicious rituals. For example, yajnopaveetham which is normally worn on the left shoulder is reversed and worn on the right shoulder as pracheenaveethi during shraddham, tharpanam and other apara kriyas. Parishechanam which is done clockwise on auspicious occasions, is done anticlockwise by the shraddhakarta on their plaintain leaves on which food is served to pithruvarnam.

Last edited:
we sleep on right side flows posaitive we sleep in left flow negative
me sleep facing wall with block mind thinking

Dear Shri Brahmanyan.

I guess you are not able to see the file uploaded by Shri Saidevo properly because you don't have the necessary font installed in your pc. So I have taken the liberty of converting it into a pdf file which I am uploading in this post. Now you can read it in Tamil. I hope Shri Saidevo wont mind.

Attachments

• Aasarakkovai.pdf
    28 KB · Views: 235
Dear Shri Brahmanyan.

I guess you are not able to see the file uploaded by Shri Saidevo properly because you don't have the necessary font installed in your pc. So I have taken the liberty of converting it into a pdf file which I am uploading in this post. Now you can read it in Tamil. I hope Shri Saidevo wont mind.

Dear Sri CLN,

It is very kind of you have taken the trouble of converting the file to pdf version. Now I am able to read the meaning. You are correct ,my son tells me that required Tamil Font is not installed in our PC.

Many thanks to your good self and Sri Saidevo.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Shri Brahmanyan ji,

It was absolutely no trouble at all. All that I did was just clicking a button! :) Should you really thank me - for doing such an insignificant service to an elder brother ? Not at all, Sir!

namaste shrI Brahmanyan.

namaskAram. Since you are more than ten years elder to me, kindly do not write namaskaram when you address me. Right now the link does not work for me too, with the message 'connection timed out'. It seems the server computer system is down at their end. This Tamil Virtual University link is a treasurehouse of Tamizh texts with commentaries, so you might install the font required and try to access it later.

praNAm.
saidevo

namaste shrI CLN.

You have done it nicely with a presence of mind to screen-capture the link that worked in your system and then turn it into a pdf file. As TVU has made their contents accessible to the public for free, there is nothing for me to mind (even if I had something to do with the explanation of the verse, I won't mind people sharing it). Thank you for your nice gesture.

Shri Saidevo ji,

I am glad to know that you are not cross with me for what I did because it was a sort of "mundhirikkottaithanam" on my part to do so, instead of waiting for you to comply with Shri Brahmanyan's request! :), though I did not use the screen shot method, but converted the web page directly using my pdf converter.

I remember the elders in our family telling when I was a child that only sleeping with head northwards is prohibited, because doing so will bring the wrath of Lord Yama on the perpetrator.

In fact, I also remember that only when a person actually dies, then the dead body used to be placed on the floor at home with head placed intentionally northwards. Before the dead body is carried away to the smashaanam all the household members prostrate to Lord Yama southwards, while prostration southwards is strictly banned on all auspicious occasions. Many of the kriyas associated with death, shraddham, tharpanam etc.involve activities usually the exact opposite of those which are to be done during auspicious rituals. For example, yajnopaveetham which is normally worn on the left shoulder is reversed and worn on the right shoulder as pracheenaveethi during shraddham, tharpanam and other apara kriyas. Parishechanam which is done clockwise on auspicious occasions, is done anticlockwise by the shraddhakarta on their plaintain leaves on which food is served to pithruvarnam.

Dear Shri CLN, Shri Brahmanyan, Shri Saidevo,

The notion that south is the direction of all those dead and gone has been interpreted to mean that the Aryans had their "origin" in some arctic areas. They considered "going south" as inauspicious, probably because it was as unfamiliar to them as "after-death" is for all of us even today. Related to this is the belief of uttarayana as auspicious (remember Bheeshma suffered in his bed of arrows for the uttarayana to begin?) and dakshinayana as not good even for dying. However, we do have some religious celebrations even during dakshinayana now; these are surely later accretions when the Aryans moved south after the last ice age. Shri Tilak has persuasively argued these and related aspects in some of his books. But the truth has yet to be investigated scientifically.

Incidentally, sleeping with head to the north does not invite Yama's curse, but it is mistaken as one's readiness to "go south" by Yamadutas and hence can cause "akaala mrityu" (death before appointed time); such "akaala mrityu" can be caused by our actions during this life also - that at least is the orthodox belief and hence the mantra "akaala mrityu haranam..." when sipping teertham. (Of course if a person is foolish enough to stand in front of a racing truck death is sure - and I believe that much.) The rest is info giving the orthodox views on "north-head" only.

Hi Bala

This is Swaminathan, a new member joined few minutues back. I read in a old book that owner of the house shuold keep his south and sleep for progeny and wealth. Good Luck

In samshebha dharma sasthram page number 227written by manjakudy Venkata rama sastrigal.Maharishi gaargyar says one must lie down and sleep in his house facing east and during journey head must face west and in his father in law's house head facing south . He should avoid always the northern direction for his head.

He should keep a vessel of water or a stick near his bed,while sleeping; Just before sleeping he should think of Agasthyar,Vishnu,Emperor Muchukunda, sage kapila and Asthika. He should recite the verse relating to these holy persons and pray to Asthika to keep off the fear of serpents.

A person should sleep for six hours from about 9 PM to 3 AM. Then he should get up early in the morning. . A person should not fail to follow this routine on account of lack of faith or lazziness. He will be blessed by God and will enjoy happiness here and hereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back