• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

BROAD MINDED Vs TRADITIONAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Mr. Kunjuppu,

//Brahmins of my father’s generation did not pass on those regimens to me and my friends. Except they went through the motions. My generation has felt that why be hypocritical and insult those institutions. If you cannot practice it, stay away, instead of mocking those functions with half baked half assed attempt with no sincerity.//

As I can not speak for my friends I would like to just say this about myself. My father too, because he was too preoccupied with his struggle for a decent existence,did not pass on the regimens which he knew but did not follow strictly. I too did not follow these regimens for some time because of my circumstances. I was attracted by leftist ideology and refused to accept anything that did not pass the test of usefulness to the struggling common man. But then you do not stop evolving. Learning and maturing is a continuous process which goes on till the end. Fortunately, I had an open mind and when I found after a lot of contemplation and experiences that some of my pet beliefs were not correct I started looking at these regimens afresh. I would suggest this to everyone. I understand your desire to bring your participation in this subject to an end. So I stop with this. Cheers.

Please cud you mention:
1) What is "Vedic" according to you? Wud it be the arya samaj way of rejecting idol worship or wud it include idol worship?
Sir,
Arya Samaj also advocates:

i) believes in casteless hindu society
ii) permitting recitation of vedas by all.

If you are an Arya Samaji, or one who subscribes to its tenets, ab initio you should have kept away from this forum.

Many from Punjab, the nominal Arya Samaji, do not abhor idol-worship, in fact they visit temples with devotion!!
The context of arya samaj was only wrt inclusion or exclusion of idol worship in what you call "vedic". Was just interested in knowing what you perhaps mean as "vedic", considering the fact that idol worship derives largely from the agamas. It has nothing to do with my own views or tenets or with some arya samajis visiting temples (which some southie arya samajis also do).

As one who has lived in the rural Tamil Nadu in the recent times, my observations are first hand. Also I speak in the backdrop of recent development in which non-brahmin boys trained in the agama patasalas are not welcomed to perform in temples that have been following agamic rituals.
Not only rural areas, ppl in urban areas of tamilnadu also have a prob accepting NB priests...i know of 'educated' people within my own family who will never accept a NB for a priest come what may...needless to say, they are elderly people.

At the same time, i do not find younger ones fussy about caste. To the younger lot, as long as a person performs the said rituals nicely, they are satisfied. They do not bother if the priest is trained by arya samaj or isckon or some other organisation. They are not interested in knowing the priest's former caste.

If you have to talk about Florida, ISCKON, Maharishi's university and host of other institutions, I am afraid we are going at a tangent. You are silent about Swami Dayananda Sarasvathi (once disciple of Swami Chinmayananda) and the effort of his organisation in this front.
Why only Swami Dayananda Saraswati, there are others also who put in their effort to uplift the poor and bring hinduism to all...And am sorry, i mentioned institutions outside and inside india only in the context of preserving vedic lore only (wanted to bring home the point that there are institutions which already do so).

The issue is about survival of the traditions in the homeland (hope you would not ask what tradition means here) of preservation of vedic lore and all that accompanies that.
In the homeland too, i do not see traditions eroding. To everyone today, a brahmin today is the priest, purohit. And there are priests who do live life as prescribed by the shastras today. And people accept them as true brahmins. The prob, as i see it, is with those who moved away from the prescribed lifestyle.

Breaches of discipline in proposed agraharam, should be dealt sternly. An analogy: any Roman Catholic priest breaking the vows of chastity is to be removed from the order.
So do you think brahmins who sought english education, moved away from traditional roles, and live a secular life today, should be removed from the order? Wud it not be cruel upon them?

Would anyone prefer to be a Brahmana or wud s/he be ok to be called a Bhrigakantaka, Avantya, Vatadhana, Pushpadha, or a Saikha ? Don't you think it is natural for anyone to opt for the term Brahmana instead of anything else.

Please think of a boy who excels in robotics, aeronautics, astrophysics, chemistry or some other 'secular' field. What happens if such a boy wants to pursue his academic passion and yet desire to be a brahmin? What choices does he have in the present times ?

Swami, my posts may sound offensive, but they are the result of a changing world...a world that changes faster than what most people can keep pace with. Where information is freely available even if one is not looking for it. I request you please do not take offence at my questioning. Unless people learn to reinvent themselves they may be left in a rut. The current times calls for unity and the works to reinvent one's identity, and not for disdain with counter-views or for anger or breaking-up due to counter-views.

Regards.

Last edited:
Thanks Shri Pannvalan.I wanted to convey my views , which I think I have done in my earlier post.(This was my view w.r.t the opinion that atleast in home people can wear saree)

Namaskarams
Revathi

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear All,

First of all I would like to say that Shri.Pannvalan's concerns are well founded and something that needs to be paid attention to by the brahmin commnunity.

Related to it I would like to express my opinion on one predominant view of this thread. Good or evil other than in the extreme is considered to be in the mind of the doer. To me morality has no grey areas. I categorize people very broadly as selfish and altruistic, though the latter is almost an extinct breed. Any act that is directed only towards the self is something that deviates from the good. At some point when that becomes unmindful of harm to others it becomes evil. Once you start deviating from the good it is very easy to be trapped into evil. The tempatations and distractions are too many for that to happen. But if you are really really good it is difficult to distract you. Therefore, I would say anyone who is in between the extremes is definitely not good. This is kaliyuga, almost everyone would fall into this category.

The context of arya samaj was only wrt inclusion or exclusion of idol worship in what you call "vedic". Was just interested in knowing what you perhaps mean as "vedic", considering the fact that idol worship derives largely from the agamas. It has nothing to do with my own views or tenets or with some arya samajis visiting temples (which some southie arya samajis also do).

Not only rural areas, ppl in urban areas of tamilnadu also have a prob accepting NB priests...i know of 'educated' people within my own family who will never accept a NB for a priest come what may...needless to say, they are elderly people.

At the same time, i do not find younger ones fussy about caste. To the younger lot, as long as a person performs the said rituals nicely, they are satisfied. They do not bother if the priest is trained by arya samaj or isckon or some other organisation. They are not interested in knowing the priest's former caste.

Why only Swami Dayananda Saraswati, there are others also who put in their effort to uplift the poor and bring hinduism to all...And am sorry, i mentioned institutions outside and inside india only in the context of preserving vedic lore only (wanted to bring home the point that there are institutions which already do so).

In the homeland too, i do not see traditions eroding. To everyone today, a brahmin today is the priest, purohit. And there are priests who do live life as prescribed by the shastras today. And people accept them as true brahmins. The prob, as i see it, is with those who moved away from the prescribed lifestyle.

So do you think brahmins who sought english education, moved away from traditional roles, and live a secular life today, should be removed from the order? Wud it not be cruel upon them?

Would anyone prefer to be a Brahmana or wud s/he be ok to be called a Bhrigakantaka, Avantya, Vatadhana, Pushpadha, or a Saikha ? Don't you think it is natural for anyone to opt for the term Brahmana instead of anything else.

Please think of a boy who excels in robotics, aeronautics, astrophysics, chemistry or some other 'secular' field. What happens if such a boy wants to pursue his academic passion and yet desire to be a brahmin? What choices does he have in the present times ?

Swami, my posts may sound offensive, but they are the result of a changing world...a world that changes faster than what most people can keep pace with. Where information is freely available even if one is not looking for it. I request you please do not take offence at my questioning. Unless people learn to reinvent themselves they may be left in a rut. The current times calls for unity and the works to reinvent one's identity, and not for disdain with counter-views or for anger or breaking-up due to counter-views.

Regards.

Thanks.

At the outset, let me say that I would not enter a synagogue,church, or a masjid and to denounce their core beliefs, for every belief, has at least certain degree of truth embedded in it.

Just at couple of days back, in Madras, Swami Dayananda has spoken on the significance of rituals in a book-releasing function. That his outfit also is working on general welfare is beside the point.

I would draw the criticism of yourself as well as of Sri.Kunjuppu on hypocrisy of many of brahmins regarding following nitya karmas. Interestingly hypocrisy also serves a purpose.
There is a saying: hypocrisy is the tribute vice pays to virtue. Every hypocite values the opposite of what he/she practices.

An analogy:

A married woman from a respectable family develops an extra-marital affair.
Should as someone plain-speaking declare to the world that he has an affair?
What will be its impact?

Pretending to be chaste, she shields her family and importantly her children from shame.
Hence in private conduct, hypocrisy has its own value to the larger society though it may
cause damage if continued for long to the individual.

My point about establishing new agraharams is essentially for preservation of vedas, which does not imply that study of other disciplines are to be discouraged. There are institutions like universities to foster them. An university department on oriental studies cannot be same as a veda patasala, wherein vedic recitation is the primary acitivity.
The regulations would have to apply to only to who those volunteer to live in such agraharams. It definitely cannot be expected that all or even a majority of brahmins will take to it.

Also the reality is that folks like us who are into secular employment for last couple of generations are gradually losing faith in our legacy/traditions. Ironically, arguments such as serve to strenghten the value of traditions!!

Swami Vivekananda while referring to Raja Rammohun Roy eulogised him being "first one to exchange notes with the west". Taking it at the face value it appears that he has endorsed everything Rammohun Roy has said. This is not a reality, of course.

The world is changing, will keep on changing. I would say even to arrest or correct a trend would also be a change.

Please accept my compliments on your knowledge, though our opinions may vastly differ.

With regards,
Swami

Last edited:
Respectable members,

Greetings. This post is in continuation to post #37. Sri.Pannvalan said -

This is the age of knowledge. Anyone interested to learn can learn almost about anything. Internet is a boon. Present situation is, if it is worth anything, it should be posted in the net. There was a time I longed to read various Tamizh literatures......In the recent days, I find them available in the net. Besides the internet references, I can virtually buy most any book on the net.

But, one should be interested to learn. If there is a will, there are many options available to learn.

Only the persons who are informed about rich and ancient heritage would understand its meaningful evelutions. Our heritage is not stuck in a time warp. Actually, there is one heritage which is stuck like that....But, Indian heritage, Hindu heritage is evolving fluidly. Only the persons who can bring the heritage forward to the present day would pass the heritage to future generations. For example, in the olden days, the vedic hymns were only passed by word of mouth. It was not even written down. But now, such informations are not only written down, also available to all the interested persons. Now, more persons, including persons living in a different country, persons who are not even Hindus can access these informations. We know not only our ancient heritage, but also the heritage of others too.

We only have to meet the persons of Indian origin from West Indies, Fiji, South Africa and such countries to see how these persons are maintaining the old heritage although they have been cut off from India for a very long time.

While it is important for the persons to learn our rich and ancient culture, it is also important for the culture to accomadate everyone. Any culture that follows exclusive policies may not have strong following.

Those who think any type of change is better may possibly be living in a terrible condition. Someone who lives in a comfortable situation may not like changes; even may resist changes. persons living in utter poverty may not mind to try any changes which may promise a better condition. In the ever changing world, one can not resist changes. If we resist changes, we may be required to accept changes against our wishes. Usually, nobody gets forced to accomadate changes. At the end of the day, the degree of accomadating changes is a personal issue.

Who does not get lured by the superficial things in life? Everyone does. We came to this world empty handed; we will leave empty handed. Everything we go through in between is superficial. In my opinion, this neither has anything to do with broad-mindedness nor to maintain traditionality.

Astray from what? Strictly speaking, everyone has gone astray from ancient traditions. Nobody follows them, because such traditions have evolved. I don't think anyone is even interested in accepting this fact, leave alone giving silly reasons to justify.

If I analyse the next two points, I am afraid, I will be repeating myself. In the absence of clear identification of traditions, it is very hard to see what was left on the wayside.

Just because a person is modern, that does not make him/her a broad-minded person. I have seen pure scum-bags belonging to this category.

Broad-mindedness is a learned/nurtured quality. That gets developed by upholding individual values. Ancient culture and heritage helps; but they are not the only reasons for developing nice qualities. For example, we will come across broad-minded persons in any culture. They may be stickler to their ancient culture and heritage.

Cheers!

Madam/Sir,

Vedic hymns can be transmitted only by recitation and hearing, written material can only be aids. Recitation of vedic hymns is not as easy as learning slokas.

Regards,
Swami

Respectable members,

Greetings. This post is in continuation to post #37. Sri.Pannvalan said -

This is the age of knowledge. Anyone interested to learn can learn almost about anything. Internet is a boon. Present situation is, if it is worth anything, it should be posted in the net. There was a time I longed to read various Tamizh literatures......In the recent days, I find them available in the net. Besides the internet references, I can virtually buy most any book on the net.

But, one should be interested to learn. If there is a will, there are many options available to learn.

Only the persons who are informed about rich and ancient heritage would understand its meaningful evelutions. Our heritage is not stuck in a time warp. Actually, there is one heritage which is stuck like that....But, Indian heritage, Hindu heritage is evolving fluidly. Only the persons who can bring the heritage forward to the present day would pass the heritage to future generations. For example, in the olden days, the vedic hymns were only passed by word of mouth. It was not even written down. But now, such informations are not only written down, also available to all the interested persons. Now, more persons, including persons living in a different country, persons who are not even Hindus can access these informations. We know not only our ancient heritage, but also the heritage of others too.

We only have to meet the persons of Indian origin from West Indies, Fiji, South Africa and such countries to see how these persons are maintaining the old heritage although they have been cut off from India for a very long time.

While it is important for the persons to learn our rich and ancient culture, it is also important for the culture to accomadate everyone. Any culture that follows exclusive policies may not have strong following.

Those who think any type of change is better may possibly be living in a terrible condition. Someone who lives in a comfortable situation may not like changes; even may resist changes. persons living in utter poverty may not mind to try any changes which may promise a better condition. In the ever changing world, one can not resist changes. If we resist changes, we may be required to accept changes against our wishes. Usually, nobody gets forced to accomadate changes. At the end of the day, the degree of accomadating changes is a personal issue.

Who does not get lured by the superficial things in life? Everyone does. We came to this world empty handed; we will leave empty handed. Everything we go through in between is superficial. In my opinion, this neither has anything to do with broad-mindedness nor to maintain traditionality.

Astray from what? Strictly speaking, everyone has gone astray from ancient traditions. Nobody follows them, because such traditions have evolved. I don't think anyone is even interested in accepting this fact, leave alone giving silly reasons to justify.

If I analyse the next two points, I am afraid, I will be repeating myself. In the absence of clear identification of traditions, it is very hard to see what was left on the wayside.

Just because a person is modern, that does not make him/her a broad-minded person. I have seen pure scum-bags belonging to this category.

Broad-mindedness is a learned/nurtured quality. That gets developed by upholding individual values. Ancient culture and heritage helps; but they are not the only reasons for developing nice qualities. For example, we will come across broad-minded persons in any culture. They may be stickler to their ancient culture and heritage.

Cheers!

i quote the text in reference below:

I like the title of this thread. After all being broad minded has always been associated with goodness, atleast in my mind. There is a level of tolerance that comes out of a cultured individual, who is able to appreciate in the goodness of a wide variety of things in life. To me to term someone ‘broad minded’ is always a complement, as opposed to a bigot, prejudiced, doctrinaire, dogmatist, fanatic or zealot. So, on the face of it, I would like to be broad minded.
Please look at it carefully. Have you not heard someone complemented as a broad minded person? Excuse me sir, but I have looked hard, and I have not found any ‘sneer loaded with prejudice’. No sneer was intended and I see no sneer. I need a better example.

Swami, you hit upon the words ‘constrained in adopting them’. I appreciate legacy as much as you do, and I probably have similar habits re constraints. So does, I think every tambram. We have all accepted the constraints and moved on. Except some of us, have this hypocracy of saying something and doing another. What is the use of poonal if you do not observe your daily regimen. I am not talking about sick old men. I am talking of boys in their teens till they are in their 60s ie the best of their lives.

I bet many of you guys are like that, and feel that just because you wear the poonal, albeit with constraints, that you have a greater respect for tradition. I think, folks like these, mock our tradition more than folks like me, who have called it quits, because we cannot accept the regimen of poonal. What do these guys go, once a year to avani avittam, which is more of a group gossip – how many of them count and do their gayatri 1008 times. those things, I have not seen practised since my teens and that is 47 years back. How many boys regularly do their sandhi after the poonal? Or for that matter their fathers?

I will say the same about alcohol, meat eating and intercaste marriage. We do it, if it is to our convenience. We do not let what we understand to be our brahminical heritage come in the way. Except we have a problem with being intellectually honest about it. Someone described our philosophy of life to be the 3C’s - Cash, Convenience & Comfort. He was observing a marriage ceremony. It could be applicable to any aspect of our life. This is something, that we all would have no problem accepting it casually on a one on one basis, but mention it in a public forum or in a group, all hell appears to break loose.

Another phenomenon that I see now in my family in india, is guys closer in age to me, suddenly overnight going madi. Ie they wont eat outside the house or the house of a Brahmin. But wedding feasts cooked by NBs apparently are ok. in my view, we pick and choose rituals and practices to our convenience, and claim we have more respect to the traditions. I figure it is more a fear of the coming drawing down of curtains and the need to answer our maker, more a reason for this partial madi than anything else.

I see 20 percent Brahmins calling 15 per cent ones, as blasphemous. None of us, for that matter are Brahmins, in the truest sense. it is best we be honest about our own limited and constrained 'respect' for tradition, than point fingers at others.

Why don’t you simply accept this as a fact, and we would have no quarrels. When I compare my lifestyle with many of Brahmins here in Toronto and in Madras, it is more or less identical, in what we maintain and we have given up. Except there is reluctance for many like you to accept that fact and to get upset at folks like me, who are honest about it. Next time, you see yourself, ‘constrained in another brahmin ritual’, please remember this.

That has nothing to do with what we are both talking about. no relevance to the ‘constraints in adoption’ of our regimens.

Dear Sri. Kunjuppu,

The authentic Palaghat cuisine (refer your earlier posts) with "olam" and "prathaman" which you long for in the distant Canada will not be available if the remnants of Palghat culinary traditions die away. At least for the sake your palate, kindly don't dismiss traditions...

Shri Pannvalan only points out these concerns.

Kindly look in the post#55, wherein I have answered to the other issues you raised.

Rgds.,
Swami

Last edited:
Madam/Sir,

Vedic hymns can be transmitted only by recitation and hearing, written material can only be aids. Recitation of vedic hymns is not as easy as learning slokas.

Regards,
Swami

Yes, you are right. Vedas are called Sruthi (being heard). The word Sruthi is derived from the root Srunu to hear. The Vedic verses are set to specific Chandas (meters) depending on the padas in the verse. These can be taught by the Acharyas by word of mouth only. It is not that easy to learn by heart from books of verses.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Swami,

The voice is far too familiar to be reasoned with. However, am making hopfully this one last post to you which i hope you will treat as feedback..

Thanks.

At the outset, let me say that I would not enter a synagogue,church, or a masjid and to denounce their core beliefs, for every belief, has at least certain degree of truth embedded in it.
Some terms are what we define ourselves. Unfortunately for most of us, no matter how bitter they are, facts remain facts. To me, debating facts would at the most amount to criticism, which if viewed constructively, can help work things around.

By no means wud mentioning mere facts amount to denouncement. Same for 'truth'. Each one of us views or understands 'truth' in their own way. Even the term 'God' evokes diff responses in diff people.

As far as i am concerened, am not looking for perfection in my religion, and therefore i wud not seek to justify things that are socially unacceptable in present times. I wud rather accept them as matters of fact and move on to the next stage of adapatability / change as the times seek.

Just at couple of days back, in Madras, Swami Dayananda has spoken on the significance of rituals in a book-releasing function. That his outfit also is working on general welfare is beside the point.
I appreciate Swami Dayananda Sarawasti very much. And have read some of his works. There are other hindu leaders and hindu organisations doing similar work.

I would draw the criticism of yourself as well as of Sri.Kunjuppu on hypocrisy of many of brahmins regarding following nitya karmas. Interestingly hypocrisy also serves a purpose.
There is a saying: hypocrisy is the tribute vice pays to virtue. Every hypocite values the opposite of what he/she practices.

An analogy:

A married woman from a respectable family develops an extra-marital affair.
Should as someone plain-speaking declare to the world that he has an affair?
What will be its impact?

Pretending to be chaste, she shields her family and importantly her children from shame.
Hence in private conduct, hypocrisy has its own value to the larger society though it may
cause damage if continued for long to the individual.
Kindly note, i have not criticized nityakarmas anywhere. From Sri Kunjuppu's posts, i understand he is not criticizing the karmas either, he is only bringing out the fact (based on his experiences) that people no longer follow things as ordained by the shastras.

To me, hypocricy is self-destructive. Never heard anyone justifying hypocricy before. At the first thot, the saying in bold sounds nice, yet i suppose it wud only be sensible to remember that in the long run, hypocricy wud lead to further break down..

Your anology unfortunately does not work well for me either. Comparing a matter of private reputation with something already well known on the public scale seems misplaced. One does not need to hide, It is rather clear for everyone to see that a section of folks who call themselves brahmins are no longer in traditional vocations.

We are basically talking about such folks...the ones who want to hold on to old identities and yet move on to secular occupations and adaptable lives. It was in this context, that i asked what option are available for such people. It is also in this context, that one needs proper leadership, i feel.

The shastras do make provision for a more liberal approach in various things. Even within the purview of a strict worship methodology, at one time a more stricter vaikhanasa was replaced in some places with the less stricter pancharatra. Such accomodativeness is not unheard of. It is only a matter of extending accomodativeness to other arenas as well. And i feel the public wants leadership which will lead all hindus, not just brahmins alone. So the role of the leaders is all the more imperative today..

My point about establishing new agraharams is essentially for preservation of vedas, which does not imply that study of other disciplines are to be discouraged. There are institutions like universities to foster them. An university department on oriental studies cannot be same as a veda patasala, wherein vedic recitation is the primary acitivity.
Sir, perhaps you overlooked the hyperlink provided. There are institutions within india that are devoted entirely to vedic recitation. This link Producing priests mentions veda patshalas and gurukuls cropping up all over the country. And am sure you are aware that there vedapatshalas in andhra and karnataka that are well run. So preservation of vedas is already being done.

The regulations would have to apply to only to who those volunteer to live in such agraharams. It definitely cannot be expected that all or even a majority of brahmins will take to it.

Also the reality is that folks like us who are into secular employment for last couple of generations are gradually losing faith in our legacy/traditions. Ironically, arguments such as serve to strenghten the value of traditions!!

Swami Vivekananda while referring to Raja Rammohun Roy eulogised him being "first one to exchange notes with the west". Taking it at the face value it appears that he has endorsed everything Rammohun Roy has said. This is not a reality, of course.

The world is changing, will keep on changing. I would say even to arrest or correct a trend would also be a change.

Please accept my compliments on your knowledge, though our opinions may vastly differ.

With regards,
Swami

Thank you for the compliments sir.

Regards.

Dear Swami,

The voice is far too familiar to be reasoned with. However, am making hopfully this one last post to you which i hope you will treat as feedback..

Some terms are what we define ourselves. Unfortunately for most of us, no matter how bitter they are, facts remain facts. To me, debating facts would at the most amount to criticism, which if viewed constructively, can help work things around.

By no means wud mentioning mere facts amount to denouncement. Same for 'truth'. Each one of us views or understands 'truth' in their own way. Even the term 'God' evokes diff responses in diff people.

As far as i am concerened, am not looking for perfection in my religion, and therefore i wud not seek to justify things that are socially unacceptable in present times. I wud rather accept them as matters of fact and move on to the next stage of adapatability / change as the times seek.

I appreciate Swami Dayananda Sarawasti very much. And have read some of his works. There are other hindu leaders and hindu organisations doing similar work.

Kindly note, i have not criticized nityakarmas anywhere. From Sri Kunjuppu's posts, i understand he is not criticizing the karmas either, he is only bringing out the fact (based on his experiences) that people no longer follow things as ordained by the shastras.

To me, hypocricy is self-destructive. Never heard anyone justifying hypocricy before. At the first thot, the saying in bold sounds nice, yet i suppose it wud only be sensible to remember that in the long run, hypocricy wud lead to further break down..

Your anology unfortunately does not work well for me either. Comparing a matter of private reputation with something already well known on the public scale seems misplaced. One does not need to hide, It is rather clear for everyone to see that a section of folks who call themselves brahmins are no longer in traditional vocations.

We are basically talking about such folks...the ones who want to hold on to old identities and yet move on to secular occupations and adaptable lives. It was in this context, that i asked what option are available for such people. It is also in this context, that one needs proper leadership, i feel.

The shastras do make provision for a more liberal approach in various things. Even within the purview of a strict worship methodology, at one time a more stricter vaikhanasa was replaced in some places with the less stricter pancharatra. Such accomodativeness is not unheard of. It is only a matter of extending accomodativeness to other arenas as well. And i feel the public wants leadership which will lead all hindus, not just brahmins alone. So the role of the leaders is all the more imperative today..

Sir, perhaps you overlooked the hyperlink provided. There are institutions within india that are devoted entirely to vedic recitation. This link Producing priests mentions veda patshalas and gurukuls cropping up all over the country. And am sure you are aware that there vedapatshalas in andhra and karnataka that are well run. So preservation of vedas is already being done.

Thank you for the compliments sir.

Regards.

I have dealt with the issue of hypocrisy enough and talk further will just be verbiage.

Yes, I learn that vedapatasalas in Andhra and Karnataka are better run. But to say that veda patasalas are cropping all over the country, I am afraid has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Even a few decades back, Kanchi acharya had expressed his concerns about the disappearance (meaning lost due to neglect) of various shakas of different vedas. Has the situation revived? Except perhaps in patasalas in Kanchi and Kumbakonam, there are few students and alarmingly fewer adhyapakas..
I know a family near Madurai which has a Trust formed in late 19th century for running a veda patasala which barely has students.

This is elementary. Can you get priests to perform yagnas such vajepeya and soma?
As far as I know there is only Telugu family near Karur that has retained the knowledge and pathadis of few of the yagnas. (I may not be accurate on this point).

What about pandits who are conversant with shastras, mimansas, jyotisha and like to guide the community? Mohammedans have Maulanas to interpret their sharia, hadith, sunna and all that? Where are the counterparts amongst Hindus?
University professors cannot fill that role.

That Sankara mutts of Kanchi and Sringeri and other mutts of vaishnavism and dvaitha, that advocate orthodoxy or traditions have wide respect even amongst the people who have all but abandoned their samskaras,speaks of the yearning of many for restoration --at least partially --of those established practices.

One may get adopted as a human imbibing the samanya dharma, but the big question mark hangs in front on preserving visesha dharmas?

I believe that raison d'etre of this portal is the visesha dharma, not for socializing in the modern parlance -- which may a spin-off.

In my very first post to this portal I have expressed the lack of leadership --- for both brahmins as well as for the larger hindu community.

With regards,
Swami

Sri.Swami,

Kindly address me by my name, please. (I am a man).

Madam/Sir,

Sir, I addressed many points in that post #45. I also mentioned that Vedas were taught by word of mouth (recitation and hearing as repeated by you). I am not mentioning about recitation of vedic hymns; I am talking about learning the actual meaning. One can very well get that from written material.

If you are keen, you may address my other points in the same post and in post #37 too. Thank you.

Cheers!

Sri.Swami,

Kindly address me by my name, please. (I am a man).

Sir, I addressed many points in that post #45. I also mentioned that Vedas were taught by word of mouth (recitation and hearing as repeated by you). I am not mentioning about recitation of vedic hymns; I am talking about learning the actual meaning. One can very well get that from written material.

If you are keen, you may address my other points in the same post and in post #37 too. Thank you.

Cheers!

Sorry. I could not make out from the ID here where someone is a male or a female.

What I find odd here is that many are just keen to demolish matters, without offering alternatives --- for them drift is the alternative, which of course requires no effort..

Regards,
Swami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back