• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahmins eating non-vegeterian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sri. TBT, Greetings.

Sorry sir, your reply is but just hot air. I humbly request you to properly address my message in post #82, please. Lord Rama ate non-vegetarian food. What are you going to say about that? Kindly don't try to do any patch up work after declaring people who consume non-vegetarian diet as 'lower class'. Unfortunately, I am not convinced with your reply in post #97. Thank you.

Cheers!

Dear Raghy,

No. Rama is a Kshatriya and he might have eaten any food.

Have you Read Ashwamedha Yajna done by Dasaratha as written in Valmiki Ramayana..? Valmiki writes that the queens of Dasaratha sexually stimulated the horse that is bled to death by three cuts in its throat. From that horse the ometum was smoked and Dasaratha inhaled it.

So do u want me to apply the modern day yardstick on Rama and declare him to be an animal offender and also sexual offender..?

NO. You can't apply today's yardstick on Rama's societal rules then.

I have written several times in these sections that over a period we have collected our wisdom/knowledge. That knowledge says Brahamanas should not consume meat. Modern science says the QUALITY of life is better with vegetarianism. Combining these two, I think we should follow our custom.

Regarding the word 'lower classes' I was using it to denote the landless classes who were marginalized in the society.

Again, why do I worship Ram..?

To invoke the way he followed dharma and sastras and get inspired by his qualities.. I will not follow the societal rules that he followed. If I follow it I will be in jail.

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/share-your-knowledge/10648-why-do-we-worship.html

-TBT

Sri. Dinesh, Greetings.

It is really very strange to see members can start a thread in their first post itself. I really think the admin needs to look at the policies.

Well, in most places I have seen the opposite is advised. Inflexibility is not a good policy. I don't really believe people live by that policy either. To start with, in most employments, the salary offered is less than the salary expected; people are flexible in accepting a lower salary... they don't say " I better die standing..." possibly may apply to Sri. Dinesh too. By the way, if someone has a principle, it should apply everywhere.. not just at selective convenient places only.

Not all the vegetarians and vegans are brahmins. Someone is considered in the caste of brahmin when someone is born in that caste... not by any other means. So, connecting vegetarian diet to brahmin caste is not correct. Brahmins generally may be vegetarians today; but that does not make it compulsory for all the brahmins to stay as vegetarians.

I am not expecting any reply from Sri. Dinesh.. still I like to ask... kindly tell me, where did you get the idea it is compulsory for brahmins to stay vegetarians, please? If not Sri. Dinesh, others may answer too, please.

Secondly, what is wrong in the consumption of alcoholic drinks?

I am interested in a discussion in favour of alcoholic drinks and non-vegetarian diet. Thank you. ( consumption of non-vegetarian food and/or alcoholic drinks would not make someone loose his/her caste identity anyway).

Cheers!

Sri.Raghy,

You have asked what is wrong in consuming alcohol and where it is said that Non- vegetarian food is prohibited for Brahmins. I request you to refer to my post (No.22) This also answers the questions raised by Smt. Renuka and Smt.Raji Ram (post 57 & 41) For the benefit of members, I give below the link where you can get the answer :
In the book "Deivathin Kural" Volume-3,(Maha Periaval's own words) page 586 to 605. You can also read the same online from this link - kamakoti.org/tamil/3dk159.htm

R.Venkata Krishnan

"It is better to die standing than to live kneeling"! will be good as long as you keep it your personal policy or motto.I didnot mention at anypoint of time that others have to follow.I thought of sharing and there is no compulsion.

vidwan Pradyumnacharya Joshi is just now (10-01-2013, 01 :30 P.M.) saying in Shankara TV that even vegetarians should not eat the following kinds of foods:

1. Items like carrot and many other items, which I could not retain in memory.

2. Any food item which is likely to have been contacted by rats, bandicoots and some other creatures.

3. Any food item cooked by, touched by or even looked at by a woman having menses.

4. Any food cooked by an unmarried girl, a boy who has not yet undergone upanayanam, a woman in advanced pregnancy, a widow who has not shaven her head.

If a really brahmana person wants to expiate all the sins which will have accrued to him/her due to eating such "nishiddha" (banned) food, should fast "nirjala" (without even water) for 3 continuous days and then after taking bath, should take panchagavyam and commence doing the daily routine (nityaahnika), according to the Acharya.

And here, in this thread, we are discussing that vegetarianism, in any form, is brahministic and superior.

Last edited:
All these lived brahminical (tamil or keralite) values can be followed while pursuing our modern professions (which for many are knowledge oriented).

Exposure and respect for vedas and scriptures, leading a satvik life with minimum harm to others and environment, respect for your guru/acharyan and sampradayams is what is needed for the majority. Those who wish to follow 100% ought to be supported, individually or institutionally.

Even during itihasic days brahmins were in other professions - teachers of vedas, vedangas, martial skills, ministers, judges, village elders, accountants and advisers (consultants). Nowadays, many temple priests mange temple activities with outside loukika jobs.

I remember people of my grandfather's and great grandfather's generation [I was lucky to see my mother's mother's father who lived very hale and hearty up to a ripe old age (for those times) of 84 years.]. They were a distinct set, I would say. The honesty, value they gave to oral promises/assurances, their knowledge of Sanskrit and hence of our scriptures, their attitude towards gurujis, swamijis and others of that genre, their views on temples vs worship within the homes, in almost all aspects the tabra community (at least in Kerala) has changed a lot. I find these changes to be degenerative for our community.

This was cho's answer for a question on what he has to say on a recent study which concludes that vegetarians live longer than non vegetarians?

His answer reflects your views. We can't rely on any study, as it depends on sample, type of questions and bias. Tomorrow there will be another study report which contradicts the previous study. But I can say with certainty that if more people become vegetarians, animals will live longer.

Dear Sir,

Cos when less people consume meat ..animals lives can be spared.(Vegetarianism is very important for animals more than us..cos animals won't be killed for food.We humans no matter veg or non veg we are not killed for food)

So the plight of animals should be highlighted and not just emphasizing on maintaining culture and lifestyle.
Lifestyle and culture can change but compassion does not change.

vidwan Pradyumnacharya Joshi is just now (10-01-2013, 01 :30 P.M.) saying in Shankara TV that even vegetarians should not eat the following kinds of foods:

1. Items like carrot and many other items, which I could not retain in memory.

2. Any food item which is likely to have been contacted by rats, bandicoots and some other creatures.

we are discussing that vegetarianism.....is superior.

Dear Sangom Ji,

1)The items are carrot,potato, sweet potato or any tubers and also Ginger and Mushroom.
Also Bulbous vegetables like Garlic,Onion.

Cos harvesting all these types of vegetables causes death of the plant.

Only vegetables/fruits that can be plucked is allowed cos plucking vegetables/fruits does not kill the plant.

This is what I had read once.

2)For contamination with Rats, Bandicoots cos urine of these rodents can cause fatal Leptospirosis..so on health grounds its fair enough.

In fact there was a case in some country where a woman died after drinking a can of aerated drink cos the can lid was contaminated with rat urine and she contracted Leptospirosis cos she drank straight from the can.

BTW once my maid servant from Indonesia told to my mother that she feels like laughing when she sees us eating vegetarian food.
She told us in Indonesia only poor people can not afford meat and she said its a disgrace to see you people behave like poor people.

So vegetarianism is not superior in the eyes of some.
BTW we used to buy non veg for our maid to make sure she had her meals but yet she said this to my mother!LOL

Last edited:
In almost all rape related cases the one most visible common factor is alcohol. Last week, a rape/murder convict's sentence was commuted to life from death, because he was drunk when he committed the offence and was not in full control.

[h=1]Killer escapes noose as SC finds him 'too drunk' at the time of offence[/h]"The Supreme Court on Friday commuted the death sentence of a convict, who killed a woman apart from raping and injuring her relative, to life imprisonment as the court ruled he was drunk and not in a proper state of mind at the time of the offence."

Killer escapes noose as SC finds him 'too drunk' at the time of offence - India - DNA

Why is no one answering Raghy's question :

Let me try:

There is nothing acutely wrong with consumption of alcoholic drinks(I do not drink BTW)

But to a certain extent these are its drawbacks:

1)Waste of money.

2)You don't really find true friend's among drink buddies..everyone is around as long alcohol flows!LOL

3)Alcohol increases abdominal fat deposition(Really Ok..check out WebMD)

4)Dehydrates the system.

5)Screws up the glucose levels in the body.

6)Strains the liver to metabolize it.

7)Risk of addiction

8)Risk of behaving in an regrettable manner after excessive consumption of alcohol.

I dread to think what they will be like when drink and smoke!!!!

Good and bad habits add and subtract; if base level is very high, say 90%, these will have no significant effect.

But what about those who do not drink, do not smoke,never miss their prayers,vegans but still are unkind and mean?

In our hostel, we had separate veg and non veg messes, roughly equal strength; but many once in a while non vegetarians were in veg mess and will visit non veg mess on special days.

When these guys wanted to add eggs in veg mess we, miniscule brahmins and saiva pillais, thwarted this unholy attempt.

In IIT, three muslim classmates did not touch non veg food because it was not halal.

A person does not become a non-vegetarian just because he/she eats non-vegetarian food in a restaurant or party. Cooking of Non-Vegetarian food in a Tamil Brahmin household is very rare.

There are many who like a particular non-vegetarian dish like Chicken Tikka or a Hamburger.

But given a choice between an excellent Thayir satham and chicken which would he/she prefer? I have seen a whole lot of people gravitating toward Thayir satham in parties when word goes around that the thayir satham is out of the world.

I am a vegetarian by choice. I am a teetotaler now. Again by choice. Frankly I still love Cognac and single malt Whiskey (on the rocks). But I have given them up for more than 10 years now.

The choice should be given to the younger generation. No compulsion in the name of religion.

In our hostel, we had separate veg and non veg messes, roughly equal strength; but many once in a while non vegetarians were in veg mess and will visit non veg mess on special days.

When these guys wanted to add eggs in veg mess we, miniscule brahmins and saiva pillais, thwarted this unholy attempt.

In IIT, three muslim classmates did not touch non veg food because it was not halal.

Dear Sir,

In my college..there was only 2 types of mess..South Indian Food Mess and North Indian Food Mess.

Both served veg and non veg but there was a separate area for vegetarians but no one used to bother who sits where cos friends both veg and non veg used to eat with each other.

But the chicken served in the mess used to look so weird that even the non veg students used to hate eating it..I had no idea why the chicken leg piece looked like a crow leg piece!LOL

Dear Members..may be whole of TB forum should get together and have a party and it will be JD on the house and lets see which member preaches "No alcohol" after alcohol ingestion or screams "Gimme More"LOL!

Last edited:
I read this story in a newspaper; not criss verified. When the brahmins of udupi were not willing to give up fish, Madvacharya developed a special type of brinjal which tastes and smells like fish. It is grown only in udupi area.

Dear Sir,

In my college..there was only 2 types of mess..South Indian Food Mess and North Indian Food Mess.

Both served veg and non veg but there was a separate area for vegetarians but no one used to bother who sits where cos friends both veg and non veg used to eat with each other.

But the chicken served in the mess used to look so weird that even the non veg students used to hate eating it..I had no idea why the chicken leg piece looked like a crow leg piece!LOL

Brahmins and many communities in south - saiva vellala pillai, some chettiars - are traditionally vegetarians. Even the first tamil book - thirukkural espouses vegetarianism - pulal maruththal. Lat couplet in that chapter: All creatures will join hands together, and worship him who has never taken away life, nor eaten flesh.

Mahaperiyavar has said (in deivathin kural), that in the past even traditional non vegetarian couples from non brahmin families became vegetarians in their old age when they were more into aanmeekam. I know many chettiars who are vegetarians from birth and many who have become vegetarians.

Let us hope, tambram youth who have strayed into non vegetarian food return to traditional vegetarianism.

Why is no one answering Raghy's question :

Let me try:

There is nothing acutely wrong with consumption of alcoholic drinks(I do not drink BTW)

But to a certain extent these are its drawbacks:

1)Waste of money.

2)You don't really find true friend's among drink buddies..everyone is around as long alcohol flows!LOL

3)Alcohol increases abdominal fat deposition(Really Ok..check out WebMD)

4)Dehydrates the system.

5)Screws up the glucose levels in the body.

6)Strains the liver to metabolize it.

7)Risk of addiction

8)Risk of behaving in an regrettable manner after excessive consumption of alcohol.

I fully agree with you. I would like to add:

1.Eating, drinking and sleeping are activities common to all living creatures. But, God has created human beings with the faculty to think. We should be behaving better than animals. After all eating and drinking (alcohol) is not all about life. The purpose of human life is some thing much greater than that.

2. Among the human race, Brahmin is given a higher responsibility. He has to follow certain austerities for self purification as also to serve as a role model for others. He is not supposed to eat or drink anything, anywhere and any time. Upavasams are compulsory for him to subdue his mind, and in practise it is found to be very effective.

R.Venkata Krishnan

I am of the firm opinion that one who is in the state of "Being" or "Brahman" alone is a brahmin.... Though I do not eat non-vegetarian food, I don't think I will have any objection if any so-called brahmin eats non-veg as it is surely due the Vasanas or Tendencies of the individual. I have innumerable friends from non-brahmin background who strictly adhere to vegetarianism- even now in Bengal the so called Brahmins continue to eat fish ( It is an essential food there.. ) calling the fish as Jal-Pushpam...

Sri.Raghy,

You have asked what is wrong in consuming alcohol and where it is said that Non- vegetarian food is prohibited for Brahmins. I request you to refer to my post (No.22) This also answers the questions raised by Smt. Renuka and Smt.Raji Ram (post 57 & 41) For the benefit of members, I give below the link where you can get the answer :
In the book "Deivathin Kural" Volume-3,(Maha Periaval's own words) page 586 to 605. You can also read the same online from this link - kamakoti.org/tamil/3dk159.htm

R.Venkata Krishnan

Sri. Venkata Krishnan, Greetings.

Thanks for the link. I had the opportunity to read Sri. Paramacharyal's opinion once again. Still it is opinion only. That does not say brahmin's diet in a compelling manner.

Personally I don't think any diet is superior or inferior. A person'e behaviour depends upon his/her mindset. Not governed by the food they eat. I have personally witnessed so many heartless 'pure vegetarian' brahmins; also have witnessed compassionate 'everyday meat eating' persons too.

Now that you mentioned Sri. Paramacharyal, I remember something I read about Sri. Paramacharyal. There was an instance he became furious during a meeting at 'Thiruvottiyur'. ( North Chennai). Just an example. There may be many more instances.

Cheers!

I fully agree with you. I would like to add:

2. Among the human race, Brahmin is given a higher responsibility. He has to follow certain austerities for self purification as also to serve as a role model for others. He is not supposed to eat or drink anything, anywhere and any time. Upavasams are compulsory for him to subdue his mind, and in practise it is found to be very effective.

R.Venkata Krishnan

Dear Sir,

This I agree with you provided the Brahmin is leading a life of true Brahmin..in his traditional vocation of a priest cos that is the only way he can be a role model for others.

Even in other religions..only the priest or religious leader serves as a role model for others.

For every other profession people will have different role models purely based on his work performance.

If a person is in the Cinema industry then the best actor is will be a role model...for example Shah Rukh Khan might be the role model for an aspiring actor.

Ok, I think many of us agree that vegetarianism is a good idea.

Now how about excess eating? Or obsessing about food? Or contemplating various ways to cook a dish? Dont such material discussions take away from spiritual enligtenment?

There are recommendations for the four asramas. Eat little as a brahmachari, enjoy good food and feed others as a grihasta and live on nature food - fruits and vegetables as a vanaprasta. And only what falls on the ground as a sanyasi.

We can define modern equivalents. With girls coming of age as early as six, boys becoming men by ten, a long innings of 6 to 60 is available for 'good food'.

Ok, I think many of us agree that vegetarianism is a good idea.

Now how about excess eating? Or obsessing about food? Or contemplating various ways to cook a dish? Dont such material discussions take away from spiritual enligtenment?

I don't see what is wrong with contemplating various ways to cook a particular dish if one is so inclined and has the time and interest?! If excess eating is bad so is excessive obsession about weight, diet and extreme body consciousness right? Its the other end of the spectrum of excess eating.

As a Vegeterian a variety of lip smacking dishes can be prepared and can be savoured during the Wedding meals; one can enjoy cooking and eating a particular dish according to his wish and be not more obsessive about weight and restrict ourselves; moderate eating and burning calories by doing our nithya karma will alleviate the problems that are likely to follow; never be concerned about what to eat and how much to eat; eat as you wish will bestow happiness

Sri. Venkata Krishnan, Greetings.

Thanks for the link. I had the opportunity to read Sri. Paramacharyal's opinion once again. Still it is opinion only. That does not say brahmin's diet in a compelling manner.

Personally I don't think any diet is superior or inferior. A person'e behaviour depends upon his/her mindset. Not governed by the food they eat. I have personally witnessed so many heartless 'pure vegetarian' brahmins; also have witnessed compassionate 'everyday meat eating' persons too.

Now that you mentioned Sri. Paramacharyal, I remember something I read about Sri. Paramacharyal. There was an instance he became furious during a meeting at 'Thiruvottiyur'. ( North Chennai). Just an example. There may be many more instances.

Cheers!

Sri.Raghy,
Even Rishis and Gods showed anger on certain occasions. But, they are still held in high esteem.
Sri Periaval's upadesams (opinion as referred by you) are different from the opinions of ordinary human beings in the sense that the upadesams are devoid of any self interest and in the best interests of human race.
Yes, I do agree with you that there are some compassionate Non-veg eaters and not so compassionate among veg eaters. But, the food is said to have an influence on one's emotions and passions. For example onion and garlic.

Regards,
Venkata Krishnan

Dear Chi. Dinesh Chandrasekaran,
Your parents are proud about you and your thoughts towards our community. Sringeri Sankaraacharyaa during his visit to coimbatore told the same thing on his daily preachings.
May God bless you for a long live,
Dheergaayushmaanbhavaa,
s.chandrasekaran, coimbatore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back