• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahmins eating non-vegeterian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, alcohol in itself may be made aromatic. But alcoholics do have bad breadth often.. :)

Essentially putrid substances are not to be consumed.

-TBT

Dear Sir,

People who don't maintain good oral hygiene most of the while have bad breath.
A person might consume alcohol but that does not mean he will have bad breath.

I think you are talking about those goners alcoholics who sit and drink 24/7 and do not bathe etc.

The normal social drinker does not have bad breath.

Many suave looking individuals are social drinkers and have tip top hygiene.

Shri TBT,

When we talk of "our culture", I have seen that more often than not the reference is to the culture which goes back to the vedic times. Hence, if we are talking about, say, the last 500 or 800 years, it will be better to specify that.

If we consider "our culture" that which has come right from vedic times, we have documentary evidence in our smritis to prove that NV was accepted, nay compulsory, for Sraaddhas. Even the system of Sraaddhas has undergone radical changes over the centuries. There is therefore nothing but your own mental image of some mirage-like "our culture". Just as the insistence on NV food for the Sraaddha Baahmanas seems to have completely vanished, for not clarly known reasons, it is quite possible that whatever you consider as "our culture" today may also simply vanish. In taking a policy decision that our individual preferences need not be imposed upon the society as a whole, we are just following democratic norms only.

Dear Sangom

True, culture appears a loose word, but culture is the overall collective wisdom at this point of time. As Renuka said once, it is evolving all the time. i am not saying it should be left static as the responsibility to evolve it is with us.

Our civilizational progress will depend on how we evolve our culture. If we evolve it in wrong ways, we will perish, get subjugated and and be replaced. This is the Dharma that operates on top of everything. If we evolve it in right ways, we will sustain, prosper, give the world what it needs.

Brahman (which I translate as expansion/evolution) is all-encompassing and we are all bound by it.

So what is good and what is bad is always a fight, for nobody can say confidently what is good, what is bad.

A guideline that we can have is, when we deal with collective wisdom such as culture and want to evolve it or change it, do it carefully and err on the side of caution. Evolve it slowly.

From the Puranic times (I disagree with Vedic times, as my studies show that none knows what vedic times were really about and we are simply believing the half-interpretations of western scholars) to times of Krishna and further Sankara and down to Ramanuja, our interpretations and understanding has never been static and has been changing/evolving. Hence the debate on Meat eating.

Manu smrit says it is not a sin, but avoiding it is beneficial. Krishna says avoid it. Sankara and Ramanuja stressed that it is not in line with our dharma. I think these should have happened based on the learnings of the society over a period. (I don't want to trivialize it as Buddhist influences..)

Coming to this debate, it is specifically about Tam Brahms as a Jati. When I corroborate it with science, I see that continuing our practice is said to be safe and sound and even beneficial. So let's continue it.

Let not individuals whims and fancies override our collective wisdom of past. As I said before, none can say what is right and what is wrong. If we go wrong, Dharma is going to make us un-sustainable and perish us.

-TBT

If we go wrong, Dharma is going to make us un-sustainable and perish us.

-TBT

Dear Sir,

Dharma does not make anyone or anything unsustainable or perishable.

The whole concept of Dharma of Existence is like a recycle unit.

TEXT 20
na jayate mriyate va kadacin
nayam bhutva bhavita va na bhuyah
ajo nityah sasvato 'yam purano
na hanyate hanyamane sarire

Last edited:
Dear Sir,

Dharma does not make anyone or anything unsustainable or perishable.

The whole concept of Dharma of Existence is like a recycle unit.

TEXT 20
na jayate mriyate va kadacin
nayam bhutva bhavita va na bhuyah
ajo nityah sasvato 'yam purano
na hanyate hanyamane sarire

That is said for the soul or the Atma. Even that interpretation, I differ, but that is a different argument. It is not said for the body (or form of organism). Society as an organism prospers and perishes based on its karma.

-TBT

That is said for the soul or the Atma. Even that interpretation, I differ, but that is a different argument. It is not said for the body (or form of organism). Society as an organism prospers and perishes based on its karma.

-TBT

Yes..that's the word! KARMA

It is Karma that makes or breaks a person in his scale of existence not DHARMA.

DHARMA is as silent as a witness.

Sri Ramana would never advise anyone to behave in a particular way. He would just say you take of yourself and your own behaviour. 'Summa iru sol ara' was his philosophy. Let us live and let live, truth will then prevail.

Sri. TBT said -

The question on this topic was if TamBrahms should eat non-veg. I say NO. As I wrote earlier, food habits of people depend on environment. Landed classes have survived on agricultural products. Coastal communities survive on fish. Lower classes have survived on meat.
( emphasis is mine).

Sir, what do you mean 'lower classes survived on meat'? just because some persons choose to eat non-vegetarian food, you decided to classify them as 'lower class?' Are you trying to say people who don't meat are higher class? Well, I have seen some of despicable actions from few sadists who were/are pure vegetarians. Higher class, are they?

So, here is some food for your thought. Going by your message, Lord Rama belonged to "lower class" because he consumed non-vegetarian food in the regular basis.

Cheers!

Last edited:
hi
i think...if brahmins are start eating eggs/meat....then the other ppl cannot survive.....so better for animal/and others

can survive.....even i saw many brahmins eat non veg...nobody really cook non veg in the home....in our street in chennai....

morning fish woman comes daily in the street....meat cutting close to us....still we dont bother......

hi
i think...if brahmins are start eating eggs/meat....then the other ppl cannot survive.....so better for animal/and others

can survive...

Dear TBS Garu,

I don't understand this?

Why others and animals can not survive if Brahmins eat Non Veg?

Sir, what do you mean 'lower classes survived on meat'? just because some persons choose to eat non-vegetarian food, you decided to classify them as 'lower class?' Are you trying to say people who don't meat are higher class? Well, I have seen some of despicable actions from few sadists who were/are pure vegetarians. Higher class, are they?

Hi Raghy,
I will let TBT clarify his stand. But many people use the term "classes" to represent people on economic scale. Therefore "lower classes" would mean people who are economically poor. This makes sense if one sees the usage in context.

Today Fish and Meat are more expensive than Vegetables. Slowly Fish/Meat is going out of the reach of the poor.

hi
more demand....less supply.......

Dear TBS Garu,

Once I had a patient a Nepali Brahmin who came to work here as a security guard.
He once came with severe pain at his 1st toe with a tender swelling.

It looked like acute gout to me and I checked his uric acid levels and it was sky high!

From his surname I could make out he was a Brahmin and I asked him if he was veg or non veg.

He told me he was a priest's son and was veg all this while but when he came to work here he tried eating mutton and loved the taste so much that he started eating mutton for lunch and dinner daily for 1 month and this pain at his foot started.

I told him..since he was vegetarian all his life before..his body could not handle the overload of uric acid and he landed up with acute gout.

I told him to stop mutton and he said he can't cos he finds its so tasty!

So I had to start him on some anti gout medication since he was not willing to stop eating mutton.

I did joke with him saying..the rate at which he was eating mutton there won't be any goat left in Malaysia soon!LOL

Hi Sir,

I would like to quote an example about the scarcity of vegeterian food during Ramanujam's saty in england.Ramanujan's health worsened in England, perhaps exacerbated by stress and by the scarcity of vegetarian food during the First World War.

Hardy cites Ramanujan as remarking that all religions seemed equally true to him. Hardy further argued that Ramanujan's religiousness had been romanticised by Westerners and overstated—in reference to his belief, not practice—by Indian biographers. At the same time, he remarked on Ramanujan's strict observance of vegetarianism.Source -WIKIPEDIA

Hi Sir,

I am sure you are far more experienced and learned.Let me apologise that eating non-veg and consuming alcohol should not be caste driven.But,I would have put the blame on my parents as during my young age for not putting me in a vedapatashaala.Technically speaking the community i belong to is called as 6000 niyogis Traditionally believed to have descended from Lord Parasurama avatar, Niyogis are those who gave up religious vocations (especially the priesthood which used to be the traditional vocation of Brahmins) and moved on to various secular vocations including military activities.Eventhen ,at the age of 18 i was very much into this and went to a paatshala and requested to learn vedas and he didnot accept me to be a part of it(he mentioned about the age factor).

If you say the smritis says the concept of eating non-veg and the great god devendra drank soma which is believed to be an alcohol.How Can you confirm that the same preparation was followed to prepare a soma bana to that of an alcohol or does it contains the same mixtures of chemical compounds????

If you have a daughter or your grand daughter to be married will you a consider a guy who consumes a guy alcohol or a guy who is teetotaller or how can u distinguish a guy who si good or bad.

Infact i dont need to go to any paatshaal except for the fatc that they learn vedas and free themselves from all aesthetics of life and i do the sam without learning veda.If a guy who is self driven and could control all of this is leading a better life.

I am sorry except for the fact that it shouldn't be caste driven.Brahmins were highly regarded cos of the life they carreid out right.Any one irrespeective of the caste follows the same is considered to be a brahmin.

If u say so then y dont muslims eat pig and they do strictly follow.If eating non vegeterian is ok .Then y can't the so called non veg are sick of eating these bizzare creature rats,scorpions,snakes,insects etc etc as they contain proteins.Since,beacuse it has been followed and generalised as indains are supposed to eat the same and stick to it for no reason.If people who eat non veg are inherting their elders.Y can't we.

Sri. TBT said -

( emphasis is mine).

So, here is some food for your thought. Going by your message, Lord Rama belonged to "lower class" because he consumed non-vegetarian food in the regular basis.

Cheers!

Well Surely No. Neither by food, nor by any other metric none can be lower or higher. Is that not what Sankara is said to have realized.

Economically well off classes that owned land could thrive on agricultural products. Those communities that did not have access to land resources, complimented their food with meat products as they could rear livestock even without own lands. I had used this world lower from the sense of this marginalization in society to use resources.

Why among human beings, even between all the beings, there are multiple dimensions of comparison and in each dimension, some beings score more, some less.

This Universe and evolution is a sacrifice or Yajna in which higher and higher intelligent beings evolve on one another. The ecological balance and food-chain is a system of sacrifice or Yajna where predators live on the sacrifice of the prey.

There is nothing inferior about anything or anyone. Every being and non-being is inferior to another in some dimension, but superior in another dimension.

-TBT

Like a business organization society is a social organization. There could be CEO's, presidents, directors, managers, workers. All of these are roles that pull the business together. Is there anything inferior or superior in them..? Today's worker becomes a CEO tomorrow and tomorrow's CEO may become a worker some other time. Similarly in social organization every one has a role to play and the

கால பைரவன்;172198 said:
Hi Raghy,
I will let TBT clarify his stand. But many people use the term "classes" to represent people on economic scale. Therefore "lower classes" would mean people who are economically poor. This makes sense if one sees the usage in context.

Sri. Kala Bairavan, Greetings.

Poorer persons can not afford meat, in my opinion. I know in my village, non-vegetarian food eating NBs possibly ate meat about 5 to 6 times per year if that. Most of them could afford like 2 to 3 times only ( I know the occassions too). Otherwise, they simply ate fresh vegetables straight from the garden. Even when I was 7 years old, I remember I & my sister ( she was few months over 8) had a garden with plenty vegetables. Sometimes we had somuch from our small garden, we wouldn't know what to do with them.

Poorer persons consumed more vegetables, spinnach and other leaf vegetables.

Cheers!

Well Surely No. Neither by food, nor by any other metric none can be lower or higher. Is that not what Sankara is said to have realized.

Economically well off classes that owned land could thrive on agricultural products. Those communities that did not have access to land resources, complimented their food with meat products as they could rear livestock even without own lands. I had used this world lower from the sense of this marginalization in society to use resources.

Why among human beings, even between all the beings, there are multiple dimensions of comparison and in each dimension, some beings score more, some less.

This Universe and evolution is a sacrifice or Yajna in which higher and higher intelligent beings evolve on one another. The ecological balance and food-chain is a system of sacrifice or Yajna where predators live on the sacrifice of the prey.

There is nothing inferior about anything or anyone. Every being and non-being is inferior to another in some dimension, but superior in another dimension.

-TBT

Like a business organization society is a social organization. There could be CEO's, presidents, directors, managers, workers. All of these are roles that pull the business together. Is there anything inferior or superior in them..? Today's worker becomes a CEO tomorrow and tomorrow's CEO may become a worker some other time. Similarly in social organization every one has a role to play and the

Sri. TBT, Greetings.

Sorry sir, your reply is but just hot air. I humbly request you to properly address my message in post #82, please. Lord Rama ate non-vegetarian food. What are you going to say about that? Kindly don't try to do any patch up work after declaring people who consume non-vegetarian diet as 'lower class'. Unfortunately, I am not convinced with your reply in post #97. Thank you.

Cheers!

Sri. Kala Bairavan, Greetings.

Poorer persons can not afford meat, in my opinion. I know in my village, non-vegetarian food eating NBs possibly ate meat about 5 to 6 times per year if that. Most of them could afford like 2 to 3 times only ( I know the occassions too). Otherwise, they simply ate fresh vegetables straight from the garden. Even when I was 7 years old, I remember I & my sister ( she was few months over 8) had a garden with plenty vegetables. Sometimes we had somuch from our small garden, we wouldn't know what to do with them.

Poorer persons consumed more vegetables, spinnach and other leaf vegetables.

Cheers!

People who did not own land can never grow rice sufficiently (yeah u can get vegetables, but they are not carbohydrates and protiens). Such people lived on livestock meat for their energy needs. Hence you will find people belonging to such sections having more meat than the land-owning classes..

-TBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back