• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahmins eating non-vegeterian

Status
Not open for further replies.
with high cooking oil prices,most recycle it . other use Lighting diyas-if religion does not prohibit it

Dear Krish ji,

Its a matter of hygiene..how to use recycled oil for lighting diyas..I hope you are not talking of diyas used for prayer..it somehow seems not that great an idea.

Dear Krish ji,

Its a matter of hygiene..how to use recycled oil for lighting diyas..I hope you are not talking of diyas used for prayer..it somehow seems not that great an idea.
with frequent power cuts ,this is a possibility as a replacement for candle. if I mention diya for prayer RRji and others will pull my ears. hence my qualified statement

In continuation The oil used for diyas for worship consists of a mixture of til,castor,sandalwood,camphor besides other ingrdients and marketed as temple oil at a higher rate

Talking of recycling , I shall share something weird and distasteful.
At traffic lights in east delhi on ring road and nearby , you will find coconut pieces and flowers from garlands being sold at throw away prices. These are items collected from the cremation ground on ring road. Great recycling

I give up, what do you suggest, dear lady, we do with once heated oil, throw it away?
Nara,

You can mix this suttennai with gun powder for Idli or you can use this for any rice with say Curry leaves mix or even for rice mixed with pickles especially with Avakkai pickle

Nara,

You can mix this suttennai with gun powder for Idli or you can use this for any rice with say Curry leaves mix or even for rice mixed with pickles especially with Avakkai pickle

hi

gun powder????????????????????????????????..............for what?...........lol

...... gun powder????????????????????????????????..............for what?...........lol
Don't you know it is 'to touch' for 'idly'? :)

BTW, some people love the taste of 'chutta eNNai' where as some run away at the very sight!

Hence, the idea to use it for dhOsAs and adais. A drop of ghee added will camouflage the taste of chutta eNNai! :thumb:

Don't you know it is 'to touch' for 'idly'? :)

BTW, some people love the taste of 'chutta eNNai' where as some run away at the very sight!

Hence, the idea to use it for dhOsAs and adais. A drop of ghee added will camouflage the taste of chutta eNNai! :thumb:
hi

is it MOLAGAI PODI?,,,,,,,,,,,FOR IDLI?

Talking of recycling , I shall share something weird and distasteful........
OMG! I have seen two such incidents.

1. One mAmi returned a cone ice cream she had ordered, after licking it and finding that it was not very tasty. She asked for another flavour.

The shopkeeper put the licked ice cream back into the storage box and refilled the same cone with the new flavour! I tell my friends NOT to

buy ice cream from that shop!

2. In a reception dinner, the left over pAyasam in paper cups were poured back into the serving bucket! :yuck:

Moral: 1. Never buy unsealed ice cream!

2. Skip the reception dinner, if you don't get a seat in the first batch!

Aacharam rules; only the rules are different.

Sesham (leftover) is a strict no-no, unless it is from a person one respects, and now 'loves'.

Murugan accepted avvaiyar's sesham, rama from sabari.

Moral: 1. Never buy unsealed ice cream!

2. Skip the reception dinner, if you don't get a seat in the first batch!

Aacharam rules; only the rules are different.

Sesham (leftover) is a strict no-no, unless it is from a person one respects, and now 'loves'.

Dear Sir,

The usual example given is the 'echchil kari' that KaNNappa nAyanAr offered to Lord Shiva. :hail:

But, it is difficult to eat other person's 'echchil' stuff from the shop / at the dinners!

Starvation knows no rules. While doing Prashanam/Maadhyaaniham we say.....yad uchchishtam abhOjyam yada duscharitam mama / sarvam punanthu maamapO(a)satam cha pratigruham swaaha: ​This must be a significant or purposeful inclusion.

My dear brother sarang, it looks like these rules were made post facto to promote a POV.

While much of the acharam rules are silly, these about echchil are especially weird. If the rationale is hygiene -- a good one, no quarrel about that -- then why is this exception for persons you respect or love? Why is the exception one-way only, i.e. for wife, husband's echchil sesham is divine, but for husband wife's echchil sesham is forbidden?

Also, this "respect" exception don't trump varna rules, even if you have himalayan respect for a person of lower varna. This is particularly jarring in the case of SVs. Azhvar says accept the sesham of even a butcher as holy if he is a Vaishnava; how many would even permit a vegetarian Chettiyar near their goshti, let alone accept leftovers from him that is not even echchil.... and a butcher, LOL!

yea, acharam rules .... but the rules are malleable to suit one's own convenience of the moment ....

My dear brother sarang, it looks like these rules were made post facto to promote a POV.

While much of the acharam rules are silly, these about echchil are especially weird. If the rationale is hygiene -- a good one, no quarrel about that -- then why is this exception for persons you respect or love? Why is the exception one-way only, i.e. for wife, husband's echchil sesham is divine, but for husband wife's echchil sesham is forbidden?

Also, this "respect" exception don't trump varna rules, even if you have himalayan respect for a person of lower varna. This is particularly jarring in the case of SVs. Azhvar says accept the sesham of even a butcher as holy if he is a Vaishnava; how many would even permit a vegetarian Chettiyar near their goshti, let alone accept leftovers from him that is not even echchil.... and a butcher, LOL!

yea, acharam rules .... but the rules are malleable to suit one's own convenience of the moment ....

Dear Sarang,

Alwars were very devout evolved souls. Atheists or people who are sold on atheism can never understand them or their bhakti. So when an atheist interprets Alwar it will be like a butcher commenting on a jain meal he ate. Alwar's work has been many times taken out of context here in this forum in lengthy Scholarly(?) dissertations , torn to pieces, totally misinterpreted, a lot of nonsense loaded and conclusions reached which are totally contradictory to what Alwars said in their simple poems - all done in this forum just because some one was a vaishnav turned atheist. It is like that Black Shirt crusader subvi (big river's walking stick) asking nonchalantly the audience how Brahma can steal a look at Parvati when she was taking bath because of which mischief he lost one of his four heads? How do you explain to these people any thing? So they know only three things-1. no god 2. no varna 3.Brahmins are solely responsible for varna/caste system. Better keep away from them. Don't ever expect a useful informed discussion with these people. They do not know what is that. My piece of advice to you. Take it or leave it.

Last edited:

echil sesham consumption is unhygienic . it cannot be justified quoting mythological figures. there are no exceptions. let us not bring in Azhvars who may be dear to some. let us use our common sense . we need not pay heed to what a person dubbed atheist says. we can use our own brains to condemn a bad practice

..... let us not bring in Azhvars who may be dear to some....
Why not? Is there a rule that public or historical figures why may be dear to some must not be brought into a discussion? AFAIK, in this forum there is only one public godman who is outside bounds of any discussion that is not adoringly reverential and worshipful. Besides, I didn't say anything bad about Azhvar, so why can't I bring Azhvar into it to make a point, what is the problem anyhow?

Also, me being an atheist is completely irrelevant, bringing that up is one of those diversionary tactics used to evade and escape.

Finally, I do agree with your observation that we need to use our common sense and not look at these silly acharam rules as sacrosanct.

Dear Sir,

The usual example given is the 'echchil kari' that KaNNappa nAyanAr offered to Lord Shiva. :hail:

But, it is difficult to eat other person's 'echchil' stuff from the shop / at the dinners!

In this day and age we must avoid unhygienic practices. There are so many deceases transmitted by saliva that it is better not to contaminate. Forget the practice in the past.

In this day and age we must avoid unhygienic practices. There are so many deceases transmitted by saliva that it is better not to contaminate. Forget the practice in the past.

you know prasad ji in many marriage feasts,the new bride is coaxed to eat some items[ left overs ?] from bridegrooms elai . evan modern age youngsters demonstrate their love in public place sharing one cup of coffee alternately sipping from the cup. This is considered to be the sign of ultimate and undying love. There are no gender issue in this. young men drinking together share a sip of somras from the same cup to demonstrate the strength of friendship. You dont have to be RRji to reject the idea of consuming Echchil anywhere

Why not? Is there a rule that public or historical figures why may be dear to some must not be brought into a discussion? AFAIK, in this forum there is only one public godman who is outside bounds of any discussion that is not adoringly reverential and worshipful. Besides, I didn't say anything bad about Azhvar, so why can't I bring Azhvar into it to make a point, what is the problem anyhow?

Also, me being an atheist is completely irrelevant, bringing that up is one of those diversionary tactics used to evade and escape.

Finally, I do agree with your observation that we need to use our common sense and not look at these silly acharam rules as sacrosanct.
In another post someone listed mythological figures rishis,kings,some gods who were products of illicit union . SV azhwars are known for their pasurams[Am i correct] which are sung in vaishnavaite temples. If you would like to engage the forum on this ,it would be productive.If you would like to discuss their stupidity to uphold the varna system and about his bias in favour of vaishnavites ,it is fishing for dirt instead of the good from the scriptures.prerhaps you would like to go the salman rushdie way, with SVs baying for your blood. however hindu brahmins are not miiltants. they do not issue fatwas. you are lucky

Last edited:
you know prasad ji in many marriage feasts,the new bride is coaxed to eat some items[ left overs ?] from bridegrooms elai . evan modern age youngsters demonstrate their love in public place sharing one cup of coffee alternately sipping from the cup. This is considered to be the sign of ultimate and undying love. There are no gender issue in this. young men drinking together share a sip of somras from the same cup to demonstrate the strength of friendship. You dont have to be RRji to reject the idea of consuming Echchil anywhere

Dear Krish ji,

I like to eat from same plate as husband..I am the ultimate clean up machine!LOL

My husband has a tendency to not finish every item in his plate..so once he is done eating I usually eat what he left on his plate but not too often...I always tease him "see I am such a good wife"!LOL

Actually for me its no big deal cos I dont like seeing food wasted..even when my son does not finish his food and he tells me.."amma can you help me finish up"

I tell him to pass me his plate and I eat what he can not finish if he is eating a veg meal.

BTW my husband also sometimes finishes the food that I cant finish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back